1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I don't know, all of this stuff declaring the actions of the police and DA to be illegal seems to be built around a heap of assumptions on what the law looks like 40 years in the future.

Wynne can huff around and complain all he wants, but if the state and city courts of Gotham don't share the views of his lawyers, he may be shit out of luck. He himself called Gotham a cyberpunk dystopia, and they aren't known to take an expansive view of people's rights.

Cuchulin and Vaermina like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

You may assume that a man heavily involved in the peaceful application of supervillain technology for the entire intervening time and who has very expensive lawyers on call is mostly going to know what the law is.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Even expensive lawyers don't mostly know what the law is.

That's why they have armies of Paralegal's. :p This joke is for all you paralegals out there.

Ardy likes this.
  4. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Finally some recognition!

Vaermina likes this.
  5. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Not a requirement for a movie. Sherlock does not grow either.

Jaron and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Local Laws are fairly slow to change, State and Federal ones even more so, and the international agreements on human rights are pretty hard to get changed at all. (enforcement is a whole other problem, but that heads into some of the site rules for discussions)

We still use case law that is, in some situations, several Centuries old. I ended up doing a small bit of research regarding the legal protections that were granted to those seeking asylum in a place of worship a while back. The case law still on the books in the UK was referencing the killing of an escaped prisoner from the Tower of London, whom made it to Westminster Abby, in 1378.

Cuchulin, Lord Ernest and Ardy like this.
  7. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Old Bruce was an even more massive bastard the Younger version.

Qui-Gon didn't need an arc, a character arc would only have diminished him.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

His two arcs were BJJB and AJJB.

Ardy likes this.
  9. Threadmarks: Reconstruction (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

5th March 2013
    08:05 GMT +3

Yes, that's definitely the place where Themyscira isn't.

The waves lap gently below me as I stare at the sea.

It's not even as if the island was ripped off the bedrock. Examining the sea floor… If not for the fact that I've been here before and I can compare the shapes that the flows of the water have dug into the sub-aquatic detritus to what used to be there. The water is flowing differently now that the islands aren't there, but I can see where things have started shifting.

And down, down in the deeper parts, I can see Scylla.

It's a little like a magic eye picture. Scylla is so big that I spent a little while trying to work out how an aquatic mountain that shape could have formed there, and that's with power ring scans. Something about her nature makes her respond in an irregular way to scans. Either that or I just can't get my head around the idea of a creature that big.

Fortunately, she's not doing much, and I don't think that poking her and saying 'are you okay?!' would help the situation. Instead, I fabricate a monitoring drone and set it loose. Any change in the position of that giant pile of supernatural meat, it'll ping-

I frown as I notice a winged shape to the west.

-me. Yes, we're not far from the harpy's home islands here, but it's not exactly a short flight and-.

And she's wallowing in the air. I transition closer and create a perch for her.

"You're a way from-"

She starts, blinks, focuses on me and… And smiles.

"Pavlos!"

That's… Rather nice.

"-home. What brings you here?"

She holds her wings open while she checks my construct, harpy flight being more about using magic to manipulate air currents than about raw muscle. Satisfied, she flaps down and locks her claws around the perch.

"I need to talk to Princess Diana."

"She's…"

Her eyes widen. "Has she died?"

"No, no, but she's pretty busy. Is there anything I can do? Ah, how is everyone?"

"Yes! Yes! I need-. My brother."

"Okay, what does he look like?"

"No, he-. The great misery. When everyone..."

"It was the same everywhere."

"It did something else to him. And now it is gone, he blames himself for what it made him do. But if it was the same everywhere then it was not his fault! You can tell him!"

Yes, I can, but depending on what the Anti-Life did to him, he might not listen.

"I can certainly try. Can you take me to him?"

"Um." She flaps her wings lethargically, and winces. "Could I rest here for a moment?"

"You're from Santorini?" She nods. "I'll take us back."

Ring, plot course.

Compliance.

"Stand by for transition. Three-."

"Transition?" She frowns. "Like a play?"

"Yes. Our surroundings will be one thing one moment, and another thing the next. You shouldn't feel anything, but if you do then tell me immediately, alright?"

She nods.

"Three, two, one."

The sea where Themyscira should be vanishes, and is replaced by the island of Santorini. From what I can see the harpies have either carried on or gone back to their usual way of life. An advantage of a simple existence is that each part isn't dependent on a hundred other things happening just so. The only change I can see from my last visit -aside from the absence of the cruise liner- is that they've built a small jetty.

I frown as I try to work out how they could have done that with foot claws and without… They wouldn't even have saw blades. I could see them making a raft and anchoring it, but those are clearly sawn planks.

"Oh! The water-path! Yes, some humans from Greece built it, so they would have somewhere to tie their boat when they visit!"

"Why were there humans here?"

"They were sent by the ruler of Greece. They want to be able to talk to us regularly to make sure there aren't any more problems."

I nod. "How often do they visit?"

"In spring and in autumn."

Huh. A bit odd they bothered building a jetty, but maybe they wanted a boat big enough to make the trip at least somewhat comfortable, rather than a small boat it was practical to drag up the beach? We're not that close to the mainland here. Good on the Greek government for being proactive. Maybe they thought that they could charge extra for taking a select few tourists here?

"That way." She gestures with her wing towards a barren hillside. "There's a cave in the cliff. He's been living there."

"Rightoh."

I fly us in that direction, waving at a small flock who are out fishing for breakfast. Taking a look… Hm. I can see the residue of the Life Entity's touch, but more than that, the Anti-Life doesn't appear to have penetrated all that deeply into their psyches. And now I'm remembering my college psychology textbook, the part about under and over social regulation. The harpies know that the rest of the world exists, but they don't really interact with it. So the only culture they have is their own. The only lifestyle they know is their own.

Reject humanity. Return to birdie.

Scan-. Yeah. He's in there, lurking in the back. It's not a very deep cave, and if I'm reading his physiology right he's got absolutely no intention of attacking anyone.

"I assume that you've tried talking to him."

"Yes! And so has our younger brother and our parents."

"Alright." I lower the construct she's standing on onto one of the rocks outside. "I think I should talk to him on my own, so if you could just wait out here?"

She nods and hops off, claws clacking against the rocks as she grips them.

"What's his name?"

"His name is Dorian."

"Thank you." I land and walk over to the cave entrance. "Dorian? It's Orange Lantern. I was here with Diana a couple of years ago?"

My rings shows me him ruffling his wings slightly, but there's no other response.

"I'm coming in."

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Dude... Priorities... Getting Themiscara back to its regular position is more important then Harpy consoling...

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That would take communicating with the gods. Until then, he can help with a small matter like this.

12. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

OL do wat OL want. Is literally whole point of being OL.
    Also, he's still working through some really serious shit. What he had to do to Bats might be the first real test of his enlightenment we've seen. Circumstance conspiring to there being one option that he deeply emotionally does NOT want to do, but weighing against a much larger quantity of the more abstract desire of not having his civilization collapse.

kraryal, Xmaster3000, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  13. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Woot! Harpy Island, this is a far callback, this is one of the first real victories Paul had in challenging the Face-Puncher Paradigm.

Eh, hes a Orange Lantern. Following minor whims and distractions that catch his attention is part of the package.

Edit: shoot, I didnt mean to gang up on you in a triple reply, sorry about that.

Xmaster3000, Ardy, Silveraith and 6 others like this.
  14. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

It's pretty nostalgic to see Paul interact with the harpies again, and nice job on the Greek government making sure the situation was alright between harpy island and the mainland

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So you're saying he should be in Japan right now bargaining with the Shinto pantheons.

Or in the middle of a conversation with Zauriel.

Or dragging Wonder Woman over and having her knock on reality with her Truth powers.

KenNM likes this.
  16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Still not back yet. That's worrying. Could the Olympians have retreated so far that they lost contact with the world and thus couldn't feel when the Anti-Life was repelled? Or has something untowards happened over there to stop them returning, I wonder...

Yes, despite what some lunatic fringe folks believe, islands do not just float on the ocean, they are the tips of land poking through the waves.
    Though I remember an 'Inspector Gadget' episode where MAD had undermined an entire tropical island and planned to collapse the remaining supports so the island would sink and their alpine resort at the top of its mountain would become beach-front property... o_O Despite the fact it probably cost more to mine the island out than they'd make from the relocation. Supervillains!

Scylla, for the record, is one of the bigger of the ancient Hellenic mythos' large monsters. Along with her gal-pal Charybdis. Wonder what they've been getting up to?

Huh. Must be something important for one of them to come out here.

'Wallowing' meaning she was struggling to stay aloft. :p Make you own 'I just flew in' jokes.

Ah, one of the ones he met way back when, on his first official cape business.

You always remember your first case. And sometimes, that first case remembers you.

Okay, doable. But maybe it's something OL can handle?

Come on, girl, she's not that fragile.

...Huh. I hadn't considered that they had male harpies. I mean, their young'uns have to come from somewhere, but... Mythologically, they're not known for their roosters.

I bet it drove them to indulge darker impulses, like the ancient days.

Huh. Wonder what it was he did? Can't have been anything too bad by the harpies' standards, or they'd have driven him out.

Yes, he may have saved the world. But sometimes, saving one life can be more important.

Ah, one of the prettier corners of the Aegean. Those blue domes...

No point wasting time, or ruffling the lady's feathers.

Heh. It kind of does work that way, doesn't it?

I mean, it's been a long time since anyone had a bad reaction to OL carrying them on an FTL hop.

More than a few such little communities throughout the world will have survived the Anti-Life that way.

Hopefully not tourists. I doubt the harpies would appreciate the attention.

Ah, government monitoring. Not unsurprising after their little hijack hijinks.

And yet they built a jetty? A simple patrol boat could have sent over a zodiac easily enough.

Ah... Exclusive tourism. Maybe they thought the harpies worked like the female-only types you see in more exotic fiction... Needing men to 'supply' them with chicks... I doubt it, though.

And one the Anti-Life couldn't really interfere with.

Good to know he's not aggressive. Probably the exact opposite, I shouldn't wonder.

Though depending on what he did, that might be the worst options to have sent in.

Such a nice, lively girl.

Surprised they have names (been so long I don't even remember if they had any named back in the day.) But then, they are human-level intellects, and with language comes the desire to name things.

Sounds like he's not in a happy mood. Thankfully not defensive about his privacy, though.

This may seem pointless to some, but really, is it such a big amount of time out of OL's day? Worst case, he can call it in as a toilet break or something. And who knows what shape this harpy-boy is in? For all we know he could be bubbling with lingering Anti-Life so it's best to check it out. Plus, it's a nice call-back to his early days. x3 Who can pass up friendly harpy folk, after all?

Minars90, m_d, Prince Charon and 10 others like this.
  17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The last time Paul went on a short pointless errand that delayed him from important things, Manheim ate the entire Mayan pantheon because he was just a few minutes too slow in arriving to the plot location.

The time before that allowed Manheim to weaponize Paul's clones and solidify his hold on Earth.

18. Firewillreign

Firewillreign Know what you're doing yet?

Or finally teleporting to the universe where he's an evil mind controlling bastard and utterly annihilating that version of him.

Or at least fixing his brain. Still looking forward to that XD

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may be extremely worried and don't want to communicate yet because they're worried it's still there.

They could probably sent a scout to see if it's fine, but they may want to wait months at the very least.

I remember them helping Circe and Johnny Sorrow when they invaded Themyscira.

Plus it can be good for his mental health.

And he can't exactly do much to bring Themyscira back.

He can't contact the gods there and Atlantis is still in quarantine, so he can't get help from there.

But helping a guy with his mental issues is something he can do.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I would point out that he could punch through Atlantis's barrier if he really wanted to via his orange lanterns ability to absorbed magic.

21. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Am I the only one surprised that there are male Harpys?

22. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Huh, I always thought Scylla wasn’t that big and Charybdis was the huge one, but looking at Wikipedia it seems like maybe Charybdis was actually smaller but was just really damn good at drinking water.

23. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

to -> the

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Kimihito Kurusu.
    Thank you, corrected.

25. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

Maybe it's just me but if we're going to have Paul interact with a lot of minor/civilian based characters I wouldn't mind seeing what happened to the porn actors that worked with Woman Hunter, maybe check up on Holly and Karon since the latter managed to embody a portion of the Anti-Life herself and who knows how the White Light affected her, maybe the clone of Hitler in South America managed to deal with the negative effects to become a local leader of the community. In between meeting with various official or unofficial government leaders Paul gets contacted by people he's briefly met, see how they've managed to cope with the whole situation, compounded by the previous events.

Cuchulin, KenNM, kerleth and 3 others like this.
  26. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Didn't he leave, because Brazil collapsed? I vaguelly recall something to that effect or maybe Mr Zoat mentioned it, I'm not certain.

Still, I agree, would be cool to see the Illustres catching up or checking in on his friends/acquaintances and how they're coping with the post-Anti-Life infection and the touch of the Life Entity. Like the Beresfords and Harley, for example.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Brazil was effectively destroyed by the Sheeda, and the Accala took over most of the territory. The largest cities kept going as city-states, but they're pretty much gone now as well.

Duke Long, Cuchulin, Bud-E and 5 others like this.
  28. Nashk

Nashk Getting out there.

It's been a while so I can't remember, but did Paul mention looking for or trying to contact Eris at all?

I'd assume she's probably missing too since she hasn't contacted him but still.

29. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I don't think he even remembers he has a a patron Goddess, honestly. When was the last time he even thought about Eris or spoke to her?

To the Illustres, she might as well have already served her purpose and is now an acquaintance that he sometimes meet or encounter in appropriate locations.

Vaermina likes this.
  30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

All of the Greek gods have left Earth entirely and are currently out of Paul's reach. Plus, I don't think Paul can see any way wherein Eris could give any meaningful help, both while the Anti-Life was around and in the recovery efforts now that its gone.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.