1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Well, isn't this fun. A reunion with grouchy old Bat himself. For some reason I'm curious about how the conversation between Bats and Terry went, when the latter asked how Peter and Bats knew each other.

Still, Peter's perspective is a good one to have when you're trying to be a Superheroe, especially in contrast with old Bats'.

2. B00ki5h

B00ki5h Verified: Oddball, Lurker, and Dabbler

A man being called Terry is usually a dominative. As in he has a longer first name, like calling someone Will instead of William. Basically contractions for proper nouns.

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  3. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

As I said, I checked an earlier chapter and his full, unabridged name was spelled ‘Terrence’.

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  4. B00ki5h

B00ki5h Verified: Oddball, Lurker, and Dabbler

Sorry caught the last line before I jumped pages

moralrelativity likes this.
  5. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

You know, it's actually an interesting question if Barbara being Batgirl did technically break anti-vigilanteism laws.

Leaving aside any alterations to said laws in the face of de facto, there's a principle in some areas of law where an established practice becomes the law, in a sense. Now, it is - to my knowledge - usually something that happens with property rights/right-of-way, and I have personal experience with that; our across-the-street neighbor once asked us to use a different part of the turnaround at the end of our driveway, as due to a surveying quirk and a bend in the road a sliver of his property is on 'our side' of the road, and technically where our in-use driveway was nipped across the corner of that. Had we continued using it, enough time would have passed that, under the law, we would have a legal right-of-way from continued use, and he would be stuck with that.

I do wonder if something similar might have occured with decades of masked vigilantes fighting crime, in this universe - the laws might have technically been on the books, but 'established practice' would have indicated that while masked vigilantes were still de jure breaking the law by their actions, de facto they were an accepted part of the justice system...

6. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Slight continuity error. In Most Recently on Earth 12, he learned about it from Flash 12

m_d, Cuchulin, Prince Charon and 4 others like this.
  7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Since Peter Wynne seems to be doing fine in the Batman Beyond time period, does that mean he was never associated with Cadmus? I know he would never agree with their methods, but he could've provided them with some tech without realizing what they would use it for.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Flash didn't tell him it was six out of seven.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He was like that even when he was young.

10. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Why would he help a US anti-Superheroes organization with Waller involved in it? He might not remember the DCAU but he should know who Waller is and what her involvement means.

Even without knowing that Waller was involved, what's the incentive to help a US federal quasi-secret organization, apparently gearing up to face superheroes or supervillains, especially when he associates with both of those groups in some way?

Cuchulin, Vorian and Ardy like this.
  11. Odysseus2099

Odysseus2099 Versed in the lewd.

As mentioned in the post you're mentioning, he might not have realized they were Cadmus. Secret organizations are not required to explain who they are and the nature of their goals when they make purchases of information and technology. Having a bunch of benign looking shell companies to conduct business through is practically a requirement for a group like Cadmus.

They could have told him they were looking to help metahumans suffering medical complications as a result of their powers or somesuch.

12. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is Booster Gold still active, cause I really wanna hear about what Wynne did to poach him from the league and make him a better hero.

RamiroGalletti, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That's assuming there were anti-vigilantism laws to break in the first place.

Despite fiction acting otherwise, it's not like an anti-vigilantism law wouldn't be a horseshit waste of ink to begin with. Of course, horseshit waste of ink laws are a thing.....

Citizens arrest has been a thing of common law since medieval England. Defense of others is a thing, legally.

For everything else, either it's already illegal or it isn't.

If one uses unjustified force during that citizen's arrest or defense of others- false imprisonment, assault, manslaughter, and murder are already illegal.

An anti-vigilante law requires that someone is enough of an idiot to feel comfortable publicly stating "Hey if someone is brutally murdering your children, I'd rather they get murdered than GASP! a guy in a cape save them" and there being enough idiots to support the first idiot.

Cuchulin, Vorian, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  14. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Didn't Flash tell Peter that they got their butts kicked by a parallel version of Peter? Us Bruce's memory going?

15. Mr Zoat

He didn't poach him. He coached him. Telling him that he could stop putting on a front and that he knew that he was a failed American Football player and that Skeets was basically a science fiction roomba took the wind out of his sails enough that he actually listened to Peter's advice.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe remove 'with'.

"likes to"

At least Flash's enemies aren't mostly made up of bloodthirsty psychopaths.

17. Threadmarks: Reconstruction (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

10th March 2013
    12:36 GMT -5

"Hey, man!"

Thomas smiles in relief as he spots me, ill-fitting suit adding to how out of place he looks. It's hard for men as muscular as him to look good in suits, and… It certainly doesn't happen with off-the-peg.

"Good afternoon, Thomas."

I offer him my hand, and he uses that to grab me and pull me into an embrace.

"Man, how long they want me to stay here? Ah feel like a catfish prayin' to get thrown back."

"Give it another hour to be safe." I hear a slight intake of breath. "Yes, I can stay that long."

"Thanks, man." He pulls back, looking decidedly relieved. "'tween the monkey suit and alla the… Ah…" His eyes alight on the rictus grin of President Knight, who is thankfully talking to other people. "Folks… This ain't mah scene."

"You survived the Anti-Life, you can survive a party. Especially as you fought it off the whole time."

"Ain't lahk ah did much figh'n. Tuppy did more."

"And you persuaded a lot of people to keep going. Places that saw you looking after them had much lower suicide rates, and the people who you helped were perfectly happy to talk about it."

"Weren't a thang, man."

"No, Thomas, it most certainly was a thing. You're a free man, and you earned it."

"Yeah. And ah ain't got no clue what to do with it. Guess no one wants ships broken up raht naw."

"Ah… It's not that there are fewer ships to break and more… Supply chains. Once the ships are broken up they need people to buy the metal and other people to man the smelters and… Other people to buy the metal ingots once they're done. Things are… Chaotic."

He nods. "Yeah, tell me abawt it. Boss Atom got me an' Tuppy doin' road clearance in cities."

"How are you finding it?"

"Seen more countries this month than ah new existed. Folk… Most folks 're pretty friendly."

"That's one of the benefits of helping people. And we're not exactly going to run out of things for you to do anytime soon."

He frowns thoughtfully. "Hey, ah bin wonderin'?"

"Yes?"

"Is Boss Atom joinin' the Justice League? Ah'm callin him 'boss' 'cause a'how he's givin' orders, but one time Captain Marvel tole me he weren't."

"Ah… Honestly, I don't know. He's a little hard to predict. And he still wants to conquer the planet."

"I guess…" His frown deepens. "Ain't lakh Knight's really runnin' things now."

"Government isn't as essential to human existence as government likes to think it is. There are countries in Europe who've gone without a government for over a year without any real problems."

"Yeah, but… Did Atom win? Ah mean… Everyone's basically doin' whut the League says anyway…"

"Um…"

Did..? He..?

I never really thought that an AI would be happy just sitting on a throne and lording it over people. Obviously he'd want to actually be controlling things. And… A lot of places are coordinating their crisis restoration through the Justice League. Even China, which surprised me. Guess that thing with the nuclear reactor made them appreciate that they're going to need us, for a while at least. Mister Atom isn't in sole control… Technically it's a Justice League thing and he's supposed to run everything by Batman or Mr. J'onzz, but… Is that happening?

"I.. don’t.. think so… But I'll check just in case."

"Looked lahk he was doin' okay. Ah'd vote fer him. If'n ah could vote."

I frown. "Where are you registered as living?"

"Why?"

"I realise that you've been convicted of a felony, but from what I gather America takes armed robbery as less serious than ballot fraud where federal elections are concerned. And since you've had your whole sentence commuted you probably can vote."

"Oh. Ah. Louisiana, ah think? But…"

"That's because that's where Belle Reve is. And if you're moving from place to place it doesn't make sense to register you anywhere. Well, let me know when you do settle down somewhere and I'll help you with the application." I look around, frowning. "Where is Tuppence, anyway?"

Thomas chuckles. "Hell, man. She split the second they gave her the certificate. Oh, hey."

I half-turn, following his gaze as Abra walks over, wine glass floating along besides him.

"Abra. How does it feel to be a free man?"

"The transition was less traumatic this time. I doubt that my life will change a great deal in the immediate future."

I wince. "Yes. Ah. With Atlantis still out of contact-."

"I understand."

"I can get you a pupillage with one of the Atlanteans working for N.E.M.O., but they might not be able to offer you something in your preferred specialty. Most of them are working with Mister Zatara on making contact with their home country-"

"I understand."

"-and you'd probably rather study there anyway." I generate a data stick. "This has got all of my records-. Everything I can legally give you, and it should let you get a head start. I'm deeply sorry for not being able to follow through on my end of our deal properly right away."

"I understand." He takes the data stick and vanishes it. "I could do with a holiday. Perhaps visit some old friends…"

I squeeze my eyes shut for a moment. "Please don't visit old friends."

"No, not like that. I thought that I could persuade some of the Rogues that they could make more money legally. At least, for now."

"If you're sure. With Leonard out, they've lost a very rational voice. I don't want you dying either."

Thomas smiles. "Hey, I can take a day awf too. Why don't ah come along? Jus' bein' safe."

Abra nods. "Thank you, Tommy. That would be appreciated."

I smile. Not everyone got their sentences commuted to nothing, but everyone I've been working with is now free. Even if they're going to keep working for the League for the moment. And even with all the damage still to undo… I'm feeling optimistic.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
  18. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

Nice to see Thomas doing well, and imagining him in a suit is pretty hot ngl lol.

Cuchulin, Doccer, Vorian and 10 others like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

No, I think that's okay.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, but you get people like Heatwave and Murmur who are.

Cuchulin, Vorian, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

As far as I remember, the ones that Paul was working with were the Terror Twins and Abra Kadabra. Who else is on that list?

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  21. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

He briefly worked with that hulking former military officer and a guy with ice powers. I don’t remember their names and I don’t know if they count, but he did work with them.

Cuchulin, Relyt33 and moralrelativity like this.
  22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I meant people Paul sponsored in the hopes that they would turn their lives around once they get out of jail. General Eiling doesn't count, and Captain Cold was already released from prison before the Anti-Life.

Cuchulin, Ardy, SemiAnarchist and 4 others like this.
  23. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Right, that makes sense. They were just the only people I could think of at all.

moralrelativity likes this.
  24. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

shelters -> smelters

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Sadly, in most cases, they end up looking more like mafia thugs than any kind of good guy. Like twelve pounds of filling stuffed into a ten-pound sausage skin. I suppose Tommy Beresford has the money for a really good suit now...

Well, good to see he's in a good mood.

Not comfortable with the situation, I see. Understandable, he's a small-town boy at heart.

His idea of a good party would probably be more 'dive bar with pool tables and ladies in tight jeans'...

Interesting to see the difference between the twins. Tuppence is the warrior... But Thomas is the healer.

Now, what will you do with that freedom?

Perhaps you can find something else. Something people need right now.

Well, I suppose it's easy enough work for them. Remember the cover of 'Action Comics' #1? That's abotu how strong they are, after all.

Heh. Join the Justice League, see the world, and save it, too!

He's... More of a consultant, really. I suppose once things settle down, he'll go back to building political capital. And finally get his damn newspaper.

Just a figurehead, huh? About the same as what OL was thinking about him yesterday. But unless they pull something, he's all they've got for the next couple of years.

Honestly, the bureaucracy can trundle on without leadership for the most part. But when they need new plans laid out, things might get tricky.

Well, is anyone really going to argue the matter, at least for now?

So in a way, they are in charge, at least until nations step back from the emergency footing they're on now.

An in theory, if or when Mister Atom makes his political play, then you can vote for him, since he's an American citizen...

At least with the pardon, he's going to be able to vote.

Yeah, the presidential pardon thing will probably do a lot of heavy lifting for the League Auxiliaries members.

Huh. Well, I guess she's free to do that. Seems worrying, that she'd just run off like that. Guess her experiences left her a bit... Loaded down with trauma...

Ah, another one doing well with his fresh pardon.

...No magical education for the foreseeable future. Still, he's got lots to work with as it is.

At least it's being worked on. Sadly, I suspect it's not as easy as putting up a big sign above Poseidonis saying 'All clear, bad guys beaten'.

To be fair, there were extenuating circumstances. I think Abra will forgive you.

At least, ones without a pardon.

That could be bad for Barry, though I suspect he's gotten a bit darker after the Sheeda invasion stuff as well.

And if any of his buddies try something, you can introduce them to your knuckles. :p

Perhaps some of them will continue going straight. Hopeful, indeed.

Ah, nice to see them back, and doing well. It'll be interesting to see where all of them end up down the line, and which of the auxiliaries stay on the straight and narrow and which slip into old habits. I suspect a part of that will be up to the public's reactions to them. And hopefully none of them are having trouble dealing with the shit they saw out there...

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I checked an American government website, and a lot of states appear to let anyone who's finished their sentence vote in federal elections. Surprised me, actually.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
  27. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

As I recall, a century ago very few states allowed felons to vote, but that's been slowly changing ever since, mostly since the Civil Rights movement and mostly by ballot measure.

28. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

It's always good to see someone turn their life around, esp. if you've been helping them.

KenNM and TheSkywardStar like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

As a British person, I regard America as a civil rights movement.

30. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Leonard Snart? He's the guy he got his cold tech from.

Duke Long and Cuchulin like this.