1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Does Jade count?

2. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

love it. ESPECIALLY because everything is moving to Greece, where Heph would eventually return. i would fucking love to see some kind of Heph/Atom conflict or merging or whatever else. keep boosting that global Hellenism.

anyone want to give me a quick TL;DR of why this is such an enormous deal? Abra helped, is now free...? things are still generally fucked up so it's not exactly Paul's fault that he can't deliver on whatever part of the deal is getting violated.

so am i. congrats Zoat, you've/Paul's got carte blanche to rewrite the cultural and economic development of Earth. please don't fuck it up, as i'm genuinely curious to see what the new hierarchy of the world becomes.

Xmaster3000, KenNM and Lord Ernest like this.
  3. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

abra came back in time to learn magic, ended up getting frustrated because Atlantis didn’t allow visitors at the time and assumed Zatara was fake, so ended up a supervillain. Paul got him to turn himself in in exchange for getting him into Atlantis to learn magic, which he can’t do now because Atlantis isn’t allowing visitors… again

BartlettMagic and KenNM like this.
  4. RamiroGalletti

RamiroGalletti Making the rounds.

And now the episode epilogue happens when terry is still young joy

Ardy likes this.
  5. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Random thought, how did Eris target the pie at the un-trackable Paul?

6. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Presumably because he's gotten predictable.

(Defense spells in Atlantis targeted Paul by detecting the sound he made when he spoke rather then try and target the sense proof Paul).

Ardy and KenNM like this.
  7. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

Correction: Canada was and is a civil rights movement. America was and is an UNcivil rights movement. They fought a big war for independence, we got independence by asking nicely.

Xmaster3000, kerleth, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Canada is the follow-up movement riding the coattails of America's success. Asking nicely wouldn't have worked if we hadn't done it first.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  9. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Oh, dear, now I'm wondering if I should be expecting the other shoe to drop.

... as an American, I can't exactly dispute that, but it's more like we're several different movements, some of which agree with each other to some degree.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Threadmarks: Hellish Content (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Hellish Content

Day 1
    12th March 2013
    07:00 GMT

The small green mucus-covered demon in front of me cringes as I give… It? Him? My full attention.

"Thank you for coming in today, Blarg. I've just got a few questions for you, and then you can get back to whatever you usually do, alright?" Take Subordinate's Measure

I raise my eyebrows and smile pleasantly. Blarg cringes a little more. Not a lot, then.

"Blarg, at this stage in the proceedings, I'm not making any conclusions. I'm certainly not carrying out any decisions, which even if I had made them I would have to run by the First anyway. I'm simply gathering information. But if you don't give me the information I'm asking for quite politely, then I am going to use your battered remains as a lesson to the next demon I speak to that I do actually expect answers."

I paid for lawyers and magicians. The contract was drafted and redrafted, the First arguing very little. The only real point of contention was that I wanted to only take possession of the book once my side was completed where he -for whatever reason- wanted me to take it from the start. Some sort of obligation ritual component, I suppose. And… I signed, and my nature… Set An Example.

He only gets a month, and no trickery can be used to make that month longer than the least of all the places it could be a month in. I'm obliged to do my best, but… I'm a long-term planner. Ultimately, if I create the best plan and it isn't a plan that can be implemented within a month, that's his problem. Like a sales consultant who recommends a new sales technique, if the salespeople won't use it, that's their managers' problem.

And the First doesn't bother keeping precise records I could just ring-scan or use divine power to intuit.

"YyyesLord."

"So. What do you do? In your own words."

"I'm a Slime Demon, Lord."

"Y-. Yes, that's what you are. I'm asking what you do."

"Slime, Lord. I do.. slime."

"I wasn't aware that slime had any particular spiritual presence."

"It adds ambience, Lord. And things stick to it."

"Corporeal things, or..?"

"Thoughts. Feelings. Little fragments of self left behind."

"And you subsist on that?"

It… 'Shrugs'. "It's a living, Lord."

This is… Literally, a bottom-feeder. Excellent! Or-. Ugh.

I went into this agreement intending to fulfil it while at the same time helping Hell as little as possible. But… Now that I'm here, the same sort of thing that drove me to order the digging of a network of canals across the continent of Africa in order to make the place more navigable means that I'm… Really interested. In the ecosystem, in the people, in the magic systems, everything. And while my contract means that I can't use further resources other than myself and my personal equipment, I saw the way Sunset was looking at it. The Alicorn of Magic is interested, too.

"What proportion of your time would you say you spent on Earth? Or-." I fan out my hands, shaking my head. "Or anywhere else in the mortal universe."

"Um." Five eyes blink at me uncertainly. "I have been on Earth…"

I nod encouragingly. "Good."

"As a proportion, it's not very much. It was more in the beginning, but after Crulk had his.. fall from grace I've… Most senior demons have their own pools of spies to draw on, and they don't like bringing in less reliable outside help."

"So you're a spy?"

"I have spied. It's more of a default thing than… Something I'm good at. I'm not really good at… Much. But I don't need much spiritual power to keep going, to stay on Earth, and… Who really notices slime?"

"So… Crulk was your former employer, and he would arrange for you to be sent to Earth and put into positions he wanted observed. You would absorb ambient power to feed and report anything significant you observed."

"That's the size of it, Lord. And tried not to get set on fire."

"Did that happen a great deal?"

"Slime isn't all that mobile, Lord. If a fire happened there wasn't much I could do about it. And it's a pretty good purgative. If someone couldn't do spells to purify a place, a little fire would do the job. And modern cleaning agents can be nasty."

"Personal experience, or..?"

"Sort of, Lord, sort of. Leave a little bit of me in Hell, so if my body gets destroyed I can recover. Eventually. With what my slime absorbs."

"Hm." I nod approvingly. "So you do little with even less. Efficient. I approve."

"You… Do?"

"Frankly, yes. Take.. Nergal, for example. A powerful lord… Undone by a mortal wizard a fraction as powerful as he was. You on the other hand have a tiny fraction of his power, and yet you fulfil a useful role as an observer. Tell me, do mortals ever summon demons like you?"

"Hardly ever, and then it's mostly by accident."

"By accident? So they don't bind you?"

"Bind me against doing what, Lord? I'm a Slime Demon. Even if I got down their throats, they could just cough me up. And that would be really hard."

"Do Slime Demons go through with a lot of summonings?"

"I don't know. But there are usually a couple of others who go through when I do, so I'd guess so."

A plan occurs. Have standardised no-obligation summoning rituals. Whatever the terms are, sneak a few Slime Demons through. Yes or no, the main demon does its things or comes home and the Slime Demons hang around.

Though that's inefficient. It would be better to have secretaries listen to requests and match summoner with an appropriate demon. No sense in getting someone important involved if the summoner isn't going to be able to make a big enough…

Sacrifice.

Ah.

Okay. It's true, but… I mean, if they were going to sacrifice something anyway, all I'm really doing is preventing them from making more trouble.

"Thank you, Blarg, you're being quite helpful. One final question. What do you want out of existence?"

"Existence, Lord."

"Yes, what do you want out of it?"

"Existence, Lord. To continue to exist. There are a lot of Slime Demons and we're all very easy to destroy if something powerful turns its attention our way. I don't want to be destroyed."

"A reasonable desire, but have you ever considered..? Anything more..?"

"A dark hole no one else can go in would be nice."

Which ties back into the 'existence' thing. Yes, demons like this aren't going to really threaten the material world. I might be able to build something with them.

"Thank you, Blarg. That will be all. Please send in the next interviewee on your way out."

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  11. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

It seems like minor Demons like Blarg could actually be extremely valuable (to their summoners if not the wider society) as a replacement for the basic labor that requires human intelligence and communication but not much else. I am imagining major corporations replacing their customer service and database management staff with a horde of Slime Demons.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So is this Renegades adventures before he met the First?

Hmm, looks like it isn't.

"slime"

I mean I guess it can be used in magical rituals and alchemy.

Maybe it can be used to trap souls.

Well Hell was created in a place that's kinda adjacent to nothingness by a being that has a close connection to a universal level cosmic being, so of course it'd be interesting.

Fair point.

"mortals"

Well when you live in Hell I guess staying alive is a major accomplishment.

And depressingly that can also apply to a lot of places on Earth.

Ardy, HearthBorn, DAT_NOOB and 4 others like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm reminded of an urban fantasy story where zombies were used as cheap manual labor.

I can see slime demons potentially being used as maybe cleaning agents.

If they can crawl through spaces and absorb filth then that's one use.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That text color needs to be fixed.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

A measure that's likely to be very small. I see the Renegade is taking his consultancy seriously, at least. Hopefully he negotiated his contract very carefully. The First is the sort to seize on any small mistake to mess with someone...

In other words, the little guy is so terrified that it can't even speak. Off to a great start.

An odd choice. I can't imagine he's forgotten why he agreed to this, so... Why delay the ability to do it?

...Okay, a month isn't that bad. and if the Renegade can't make some improvements in a month, then he should just retire now.

Whatever it is, I suspect it's nothing impressive.

I suspect for one as simple as this one, name and function are one and the same.

You'd think that... Then you see ooze-girls...

So, set dressing, among other things. The sort of thing I'd expect in the realm of Dreams, rather than Hell.

...That actually sounds useful. After all, who thinks about the traces they leave around them every moment, the tiny flakes of skin we don;'t even notice we shed...

...Just imagine the uses for such discarded nothings.

An entire arcane realm to poke around in and study? Why would she not be interested?

Since Hell technically extends everywhere all at once. It's just that we never see any bits of it beyond Earth's part.

Especially something as... I hate to say pathetic, but...

...On the other hand, who would pay attention to it? Even the most suspicious demon would go 'get away from me, you whelp.'

Well, depending on the composition of the slime, that could be a risk. Something oily and flammable...

Heh. I love that that's a concern for him. How his slime would react with bleach, or drain cleaner, or any number of cleaning agents.

Smart guy. This is the kind of demon you want to talk to, the ones who survive through thick and thin.

Maximum profit for minimum effort. Quite clever indeed.

I suspect uttering Constantine's name could trigger a panic... Smart to avoid it.

So he avoids peril by being such a non-threat no-one would want to bother.

Heh. Just pulled through by accident, eh? Well, they are the kind that rely on quantity, not quality.

Ah, right. Gotta pay to play, and in this game...

As long as there are conditions about what level of sacrifice gets you. Discouraging human sacrifice might sound like a nice idea to implement, but I suspect some stronger demons would baulk at agreeing to it...

For someone this weak, just existing is probably a fine reward.

Survival. A fine drive.

...Tempted to post the 'this is my hole' meme, but too much trouble to find it. :rolleyes:

Interesting idea. Use the weakest to overthrow the strong. Or at least inconvenience them.

So, looks like this episode will focus on the Renegade giving Hell a once-over and implementing some improvements, huh. I suppose part of the contract states that he has to leave the place better off than he started, so no half-assing the job even if his godly nature didn't demand it be done well. Just a matter of whether that'll be good for everyone else or not.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  16. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

The first red one is missing an ou, and the next is missing only a u.

moralrelativity likes this.
  17. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Imagine slime demon baths becoming the next beauty fad. Take a dip in a slime girl and have your skin and pores deep cleaned and exfoliated.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Rebu and 2 others like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Unless I've got the dates wrong it's several days after.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Technically, that's a thing that can happen. In practice it's far too weak.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Sadly, this forum doesn't recognise English English in tags.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Slime demons lack sexual characteristics, and would struggle to fake it convincingly.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  19. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

on -> of

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though that still leaves the bath option available.

Spas often boast that they can take away stress, and maybe demon slime baths can literally take it away.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably because whenever a more powerful bring is with a less powerful being in Hell then that means the more powerful being wants to hurt the less powerful one.

I can now see demonologists, necromancers and other assorted mystical miscreants summoning these things to clean up their previous bases of operation so that any sort of hunters or more noble mystics can't trace them.

A positive way for them to use their powers could be by cleaning up particularly nasty places that may have a lot of negative energy, like concentration camps or gulags.

22. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

That wasn’t who I was referring to, but yeah, that’s definitely a guy he worked with that I had forgotten about.
    That makes at least two of us!
    I was under the impression that demons just got to naturally respawn in Hell if they died outside, unless killed by theurgy or somesuch. Do they normally leave a bit behind or do Slime Demons do this because they’re so weak? If the latter, does that make them resistant to normal demon-killing methods? It would fit with the desire to survive.
    Reminds me of the Overlord light novels.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes. And your skin, your memories and quite important parts of your soul.

24. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

and this is just delightful

25. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I don't think English English is a thing. I think you mean Actual English.

26. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Slime can solve the traveling salesman problem in linear time. Put this demon in touch with the right people and they'd literally sell their souls to him.

Frank Iannetta, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I was reading the story only thread and found that this link doesn't work anymore.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  28. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

If you are going to have a hell, it might as well be organised.

You would be amazed how untidy an ecosystem gets if nothing is bottom-feeding. Lot of stuff that needs to be broken down and you can’t expect the high and mighty predators to do it.

29. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

So... am I the only one that was hearing Renegade's dialogue in the style of John McGinley from Office Space?

30. Mr Zoat

Anyone remember where it went?

Xmaster3000 and Chojin Patriarch like this.