1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. Fallen Gods Rise

Fallen Gods Rise Just stepped on a Lego

Thay should say 'Harder to hurt' I assume

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Nothing too demonic, of course. Don't want the rubes to twig that his ancestry is a little closer to their downstairs neighbours than they'd appreciate. Nor provoke the folks upstairs into sending some angels with plans for chastisement.

Though I doubt there are too many gathered to watch the meeting. Still, word probably spreads fast around here.

...Why am I suddenly hearing Christopher Walken in my head? :confused: Or possibly Christian Bale.

Fortunately, this place probably doesn't operate on traditional rules of Hospitality, so no offence given or privileges denied by refusing...

Oh, I can see the concern already. Any improvement downstairs might mean trouble for him.

I mean, he could honestly be sick of things as they are, and want a change.

I doubt the First is looking to expand, but if he finds out his Lords are getting extra resources from the chaff here... Well, he might be vexed.

Which is something he'd certainly understand thanks to his current mortal guise, of course. No commitment, merely a mercenary association.

Perhaps he's curious to hear what would be said, and prepared to laugh in the Renegade's face even as he pays him.

I'd be wary of traps, but the Renegade is a fairly formidable individual. It'd have to be a rather obvious and hastily assembled one.

Ah, somewhere private, where he doesn't have to maintain this appearance, eh?

Bet the size difference makes it a little more awkward, unless the dais has long steps... :p

Ah, it was kind of obvious that he was inspecting the architecture, eh?

...That raises all manner of amusing possibilities as to how he learned of the design.

That would be an interesting shipping docket. Imagine the delivery instructions: "Just drop it off by the oddly-too-small warehouse, the owner will see to it from there."

Presumably such structure will eventually dissolve without maintenance. Hence why the Silver City doesn't seem too concerned.

And strokes your ego in a pleasing way too, no doubt.

Could be interesting if their memories are still good. Arrange some day visits with history professors, perhaps...

Must have been boring as heck, though. I suspect his improvements include a subtle nudge to do things as if they were still alive.

Maybe he has a large-scale tap on the entire realm. It's functionally infinite, I bet.

How much of said room was as it is now before he opened the door may be uncertain, given that he noted the place is malleable.

Just a little bit of demonic magic, disguised nicely.

Direct to Purgatory, you think? I could see Hell making a raid to capture him if they learn of it, though. A mind like Luthor's would be a great assets for any Demon lord.

Oh, don't be foolish. The Renegade has just the thing for the First, but we know he got better from it.

I would not be surprised that the First went along with it because it was amusing, and had plans to recover himself quickly.

Well, good to see Satanus isn't being a completely paranoid ass about things. After all, he almost certainly has some inkling of the Renegade's link to the new Light. And of the changes they've undergone following his takeover. Still, chaos is bad for business, and I suspect Satanus' business here is doing quite well as it is. So I expect he'll play along with the Renegade, and keep watching what happens...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They probably already know that he's a demon.

I don't think Angels have special authority over Limbo.

Granted they technically do have authority over Hell, but Limbo is a part of Hell since Lucifer gave Satanus dominion over it.

Well if his neighbors start being smarter then his takeover may be more difficult.

I doubt it.

He's not that smart and he may have allowed the renegade to do this because he is worried that he has the Sword of the Fallen, so while the renegade is busy it allows him time to potentially find a weakness in the renegade.

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Maybe I’m stupid, but this sentence seems to be missing something.
    ‘on his realm’?
    ‘well-lit’?
    ’my way’

6. Mr Zoat

Honestly, I don't remember. I'll change it.

7. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Whenever.

8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct. He means 'regardless of the actions I take'.

9. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

"Harder to herd" as "harder to control" makes complete sense to me.
    Something something herding cats.

Vorian, Prince Charon and Duke Long like this.
  10. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

yes THANK you

moralrelativity likes this.
  11. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

It just occurred to me. Remember the earlier parts of this story when Paul made a public statement about the stupidity keeping yourself safe by banning fire because someone has nukes? That the only true way to protect yourself is to learn what the danger truthfully is?

Now that the entire world has been so hurt and rescued by entities very far up the metaphysical ladder than anyone on Earth, do you think anyone will still be trying to figure out magic? Or not develop a very large stigma about anything metaphysical?

12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, the latest episode should be titled Hellish Content in the TOC instead of Reconstruction again.

13. Threadmarks: Hellish Content (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

Day 5
    16th March 2013
    07:31 GMT

Neron sneers at me as his giant henchmen carry me into his presence, one holding my right arm and the other holding my left.

And then I fall towards the floor as the pair of them double over in pain. Activating my aero-discs I stabilise before I actually land, and reorientate myself so that I'm feet-downwards.

"I didn't say carry him by his arms! I said rip his arms off and then drag him before me!"

Neron stomps towards his fallen flunkies as green-black runes burn from their foreheads, hearts and… Well, there's a faint glow from their loincloths that I'm trying to ignore.

"Off! OFF! How hard is it for you stupid creatures to understand!"

I raise an interrogative finger. "Lord Neron-."

His head jerks around so that he can better glower at me. "Oh, I'll get to you."

I shrug. "It's the First's time you're wasting."

"ARMS!" He leans forwards slightly and then kicks upwards with his right leg, the demon's left shoulder exploding as he smashes its arm from its torso. "THESE THINGS!"

I knew this would happen when I started with the best, but I'm not even halfway down the list yet.

"ARMS!"

Soon enough, the spasming giants are denuded of both arms while Neron-

"Well!?"

-is still glaring at them. They can't actually respond due to him not having turned off the torture spell he's got running on them, and they're both bleeding freely from their wounds… I'm pretty sure that sort of damage would kill a human.

"Neron, they can't respond while you've-"

"I don't need your help in disciplining my slaves!"

"-got that spell running. They literally can't respond."

"I'm not shouting at them for their benefit! I'm shouting at them for the benefit of everyone in range of my voice!"

If he has nothing else to recommend him -and I'm beginning to suspect that he doesn't- Neron has a powerful set of lungs.

I smile. "This does actually remind me of the way the First acted out after being told how to kill his 'brothers'. Just wrecked his whole palace. But please, carry on. I'd like to see how strong the resemblance is."

He gurns, and I fairly obviously fail to keep my amusement from showing. That act of profound disrespect results in him getting himself under control and making a slashing motion with his right arm. The runes flare and then die, and-

"Uuuuuuuuunrrrrr…"

-they regain control of their bodies, though they might be in too much pain to really do anything with that ability. Neron strides back towards me, waving negligently at his groaning guards.

"Drag them out. And staple their arms back on."

Flunky demons who had been lurking around the corners of his throne room scurry/scuttle/slime to obey, though they're all much smaller than the objects of their attention and it looks like they're a bit confused about how they're supposed to actually carry out the order.

But Neron has already shifted his attention back to me.

"I want your arms."

"Good for you. 'May all your dreams come true but one', as the Ventrians say. And to be clear, while I am not authorised to kill any of Hell's inhabitants at will I can kill in self-defence."

"Kill me?" His demeanour changes at once. He appears to find the idea genuinely amusing. "Ha! Me… Kill-."

He thrusts his arm out to the right, and-. Green fire is everywhere! The wall explodes, and the wave of fire erupts out across his castle ground. It eats through the walls and converts them into shrapnel, through demons and converts them into carbonised skeletons or simply ash, and then out through the curtain wall into the Province of Gull.

It burns through streets, houses and markets, arcane shields flickering and failing around some of the better properties but failing moments later. It burns and spreads until a wedge of destruction has been wrought upon the unsuspecting metropolis.

"Me."

He keeps looking at me, still smiling.

Yes, killing a great swath of people far weaker than you to show off to someone who isn't interested in competing with you. What am I supposed to take away from that, exactly? That you're childish and insecure? That you have no interest in promoting your province's strength? In building at all?

"I see. Then there isn't much else to say. I suspect that I've learned… Everything useful that I can here." I land, and walk towards the coagulating stone at the edge of the blast zone. "Thank you for your time, my lord."

"Yes, go, you wretched waste of my time."

I look around for a moment and then jump, landing on a parapet that was just out of the arc of the fire.

It appears that my earlier idea about focusing work on the more powerful demons was misguided to say the least. I failed to take their arrogance into account. Top end demons aren't going to be interested in service jobs because there isn't anything that can 'pay' them a meaningful amount. Satanus's human heritage lets him bypass the normal limits on demons getting to Earth and staying there, but for the others…

They don't have the same needs that mortals do, even if their drives are fairly similar. I think it was in… Hellblazer, where the First remarked that angels and demons have just enough free will to occasionally wonder what the point of that sort of existence is. With nothing to work towards, they become childish and self-destructive.

But weaker demons… They need to cooperate. They need to overcome their instincts and cooperate because they can't get through the day without each other.

I glance upwards as I hear the work crew manage to slide one of the giants a short distance across the stone floor.

I activate my aero-discs again as the still-burning fire eats one of the supports beneath the parapet I'm standing on and causes it to crumble into rubble.

The First must know what sort of being Neron is, surely? So why leave him in position? I'll have to speak to some of the other-.

"Begging your pardon, milord."

A demon dressed like a butler stands a little way along the parapet. From the slight disordering of his clothes I'd guess that he was in the line of fire but was able to throw himself out of the way before it would have hit him.

"It's not my place to pardon anyone here, but you have my attention."

"My mistress suspected that you might find Neron's presence tiresome, and bid me offer you the hospitality of her house."

"I doubt that was particularly hard to guess. Who is your mistress?"

"The Lady Rosacarnis, milord."

"Hospitality, I don't need. Information and intelligence I would appreciate. I am after all here to perform a task."

"As your say, milord. I am sure her ladyship knows best."

"Then lead on. Goodness knows I'm not going to learn anything else of value here."

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
  14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Cuchulin, Xmaster3000, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"him by"

Maybe if you gave them some free will.

Add a " at the second sentence.

And powerful magic.

"at the"

"They"

I mean, Neron isn't that bright and he can easily be manipulated and angered.

Plus if other demons try to ally with him to overthrow the First then the chances of him trying to take over and screwing the whole enterprise becomes very possible.

"bid me"

Granted, these are demons.

16. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’causes it’

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Neron. That asshole. Best known for his part in 'Underworld Unleashed', an event in which he gave various supervillains an offer: Increase their power, for his own reasons... And he's not really done much of note otherwise, really, besides be a tempter and stand-in for the Devil.

Hey, now. I'm sure they tried their best. It's just that the Renegade's parts are quite firmly attached, thank you.

...Fellow has quite the problem with anger, doesn't he? Megalomaniac surrounded by fools, I guess.

I doubt this guy has the good sense to care about the First's ire.

...It's gonna be a long month, isn't it?

No, not going to make the obvious jokes.

Fortunately, demons are made of somewhat sterner stuff... And don't exactly rely on conventional biology, in many cases.

Well, that tells you quite a lot about him, doesn't it? How a man treats his subordinates is very telling of their character.

Which I'm sure gets quite screechy at this level of rage. I'm picturing Starscream, as voiced by Chris Latta in the G1 cartoon.

Ooooh, burn. I bet that comparison does him no favours with Neron.

No doubt stuffing that little unspoken insult into his book of grudges. Which is probably very large, but very petty. :p

I don't imagine the pain spell on their loins is doing them any favours, either.

Heh. And of course, not doing as they were ordered will probably give him an excuse to torture them, too. Something for later...

In other words, try it and see where it gets you. I'm sure the First would be happy to replace him with someone less annoying...

Well, that's some temper tantrum. Does little baby not like being reminded he's not that powerful?

No doubt he does this every so often to keep his 'slaves' busy rebuilding and not trying to overthrow him...

I wonder if he even realises he's technically weakening his holdings every time he does that?

Someone's time was wasted, and I think yours is not so valuable as the Renegade's...

I expect there are a great many such defectives with more power than sense amongst the upper ranks of Hell's nobility.

But none of them would be able to scrounge enough power to rise above the others, and if they tried, their comrades would pull them back down, like the classic 'bucket of crabs'.

Ah, right. Place is still on fire.

Because him being there keeps him out of the way, trying to climb the ranks and failing.

Heh. Nice comeback, Renegade. Still, this fellow seems quite a bit more competent than Neron, so be wary...

Yes, tall, green and stupid does seem rather predictable.

Oh-ho. There's an interesting name.

It'll be interesting to see what she wants.

I suspect the Renegade has already seen the cream of Hell's leaders thus far, and the majority of those he visits from here on out are going to be absolute wastes of a useful domain. Now, how much use actually meeting all of them will be remains to be seen. I suspect a good part of his advice for improving Hell would be 'better leadership', but I suspect the First keeps a lot of them where they are to ensure they don't challenge him...

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And fighting Satanus for control of Hell.

As well as losing that fight and being promoted to a decoration for Satanus' throne room.

Just the way he likes it because if any of them had a brain then they'd know what a waste if space he was.

He is a powerful demon, so he may be able to put up a good fight.

Few do.

Power hungry lunatics even less so.

Probably not.

He also may not care even if he does realize it since he probably thinks all he needs is his own personal power.

Or if they do challenge him, they won't be able to go more than a day before they try to kill each other.

19. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

20. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Ah, Neron, what a waste of power and space... no other clever thought passes through that empty and arrogant head beyond "I will give you power, give me your soul".

Does anybody remember where was it that we got a detailed explanation of Hell's geography and political landscape? At least as it was before Fawcett City? That was fairly interesting information and I'm curious how it develops here with Grayven's input.

I don't even remember if we got the New Sabbac episode in the Renegade side, did we?

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. earlyriser

earlyriser Getting sticky.

unsure about the first part.
    renegade did get an interlude in prayer, where he was too late to spare most of the damage to fawcett city. He killed the 2nd sabbac legally by acting as officer grayven

22. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Quotation mark missing from the beginning.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  23. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

'by his arms', i would assume

Xmaster3000 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

25. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Is anyone else getting a blank page for this link?

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yep.

Prince Charon likes this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat, you forgot to add the date over the link in the spoiler box.

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Hellish Content (supplementary, SI option)
    Mr Zoat

16th March 2013
    09:37 GMT +2

Filippos Sachinidis, the current Greek Finance Minister, stares at the machine that so much of Greece's economy will be based on.

"And you say this can make anything?"

"In theory, yes. In practice, it's only really good at making simple things. Pure ingots of metal, perfectly regular wooden beams, regular stones or bricks, things like that. You can put anything in, but it's more efficient if what you put in is mostly contains what you want to take out." I shrug. "Put an old mostly steel tractor in and you'll get out steel ingots faster than if you put in random waste."

"But we… Can put in random waste?"

"Yes, certainly. As I said, it won't be as efficient, and it would be better if you could compact it down first, but it would work perfectly well."

"And it is safe? I have heard horror stories about nanotechnology."

"Science fiction nonsense, for the most part. A little over two years ago the League of Shadows used a nanotech weapon that was about ninety five percent airborne coolant, and they still lost most of their cloud in a two minute attack. If they'd been trying to kill people then using the nanobots to transmute explosives would have been more efficient. These nanobots are designed to be more vulnerable to changes in temperature, so that they need the fabricator's cold field to remain functional. If they leave that area-. You see the yellow line?"

I point inside the fabricator, and he nods cautiously.

"Then they melt the moment they try to do any work, get exposed to sunlight-." I point upwards. "You see the ultraviolet lights up there?"

He peers upwards, then nods.

"Those will destroy them. Or if they get exposed to electricity or radio waves or the human body."

"The.. human body can destroy them? Surely they are too small for the immune system to attack."

"Oh, far too small. But human bodies are hot and filled with reactive chemicals. Without something cooling them, they can't cope."

"Can the cooling system from this machine be removed?"

"Yes, but not easily. It's built into the whole thing to keep the field strength even and prevent people detaching it and weaponising it. Leonard really doesn't like people doing that."

"Leonard Snart."

I raise my right forefinger. "Doctor Leonard Snart."

"Who is the American supervillain 'Captain Cold'."

"He was. Between what we're paying him and the respect he got for fixing the icecaps… And the reports of the prison's counsellor, we're confident that he's happier doing legitimate work than he would be robbing places."

A decision that's aided by the collapse of quite a few currencies. Mildly pleased to be ahead of the curve there. I mean, they were based on faith anyway and governments were constantly inflating their supply with their overworked printing presses… But faith is gone after the second global crisis in two years. Barter has become even more widespread, particularly given that Mannheim focused on America which made it through the Sheeda Incursion mostly intact.

"But the Justice League's funding comes from the United Nations. Doesn't it?"

"Ah… No. I mean, it did, but we spotted pretty quickly that with the… Collapse, that wasn't going to work."

It's interesting. In the American context, the ability of Congress to control military funding is supposed to restrain the President's ability to make war. It adds a new dimension to something like Command and Conquer when you realise that the Global Defence Initiative has the ability to be completely financially self-sufficient through tiberium refining. A military that isn't funded by taxes but by expanding into new territory, that is technically incentivised to let the tiberium infestation of Earth get worse, would have been profoundly disturbing to the Founding Fathers.

He looks at me in an interrogative manner.

"The Justice League is… Issuing its own precious metal-based currency."

"Can the Justice League do that?"

"Legally or practically?"

"Practically."

"We have several members and associates capable of casual space travel. There's basically no competition for space mining, and… I already had a big pile of gold I was using for my own expenses." Plus the stuff I took off Larfleeze. It was still a big pile after I returned everything I could identify as coming from a specific place and giving all of the pieces of technology which Dox wanted to him. "Honestly, choosing a design and a weight was more difficult. I wanted a full metal coin, but Mister Atom pointed out that was excessive, and that with so many currencies in freefall any precious metal would be a stabilising influence…"

"And legally? Does the treaty between the Justice League and the United Nations allow the League to issue currency?"

"The subject wasn't really covered. Technically, the League can get income from other sources of appropriate moral probity, and while 'commemorative tokens' it issues aren't legal tender anywhere we've got to the point where the dollar isn't accepted in most of the United States."

I mean, it is, but only at Weimar Republic inflation levels, and you better have actual coins or notes. Coins actually trade slightly better than paper money. There was a period in British history where the old pure copper 1p and 2p coins were worth more as metal than their face value, but the metal value of modern coins is nearly nothing. But without anyone leaning on them, people seem to value them more highly than paper.

It's like they've overcome one level of nonsense only to get tripped up by another layer of nonsense that's an exact copy of it.

"Is that a good idea?"

"Having a stable currency? Yes, it's an excellent idea. I've checked the records of millions of civilisations and Mister Atom ran a lot of simulations." And used more than the egg cup full of common sense that most economists in government seem to share between them. "Apropos of nothing, if Demetrios Prokopios could be found and returned to-."

"Do you know where he is?"

He's staring at me with an expression of pure desperation.

"Um. Only approximately. I'm trying to track him down, but stabilising the world is more urgent. So… If he came back, you'd-."

"I was always clear that I was taking this job as a caretaker. Is he a demigod? Is that how he did it?"

"I'm afraid that I'm not inclined to betray confidences in that way."

"We’re losing physical currency, did you know that? People know that the Justice League are working on something here and the drachma is suddenly in demand in other countries. That is not something that Greece has had to worry about since the City State period. I don't know how to handle it. We need him."

"Then… I will make that my highest priority." I look over to where a forklift truck has carried in a pallet of scrap metal. Excellent, they're ready for the demonstration. "Do you want to see it in action?"

"Yes. Yes please."

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You live in a sci fi universe.

Now I can't help but think that it'll be removed.

Good for him.

Good focus.

The legal side may still be trying to put itself back together.

Well he'll be glad to know that he's wanted.

Close enough.

DAT_NOOB, Bud-E, Jaron and 10 others like this.
  30. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

I'm only am elected official, I can't do this by myself!