1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think we ever got an explanation for that, but it's possible.

I'm not going to go back to his previous chapters to check becauseif I do then I'll have to read more about him, so sorry.

His ring doesn't seem to be trying to kill him.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Oh, dear. Is this Tangseid again? The Alt!Paul that took the morality-relaxing Evil Formula, and goes on to basically rule the world from the shadows? It has been a while since we've seen him, I think. Though in his early days here, yes?

I see the Ring is doing some work, keeping him on track and aware of certain legalities...

Man... Imagine having to make an alien VI do the work of playing conscience because you erased yours...

Well, Artemis does take her work seriously, for the most part. Initial belly-baring costume aside...

This Mia? Speedy the second? I wonder where she is in the Paragon Timeline, actually. Edit: Ah, okay, Cir-El, eh?

...Because maybe you should take note that your Ring is being more moral than you are at this point? And possibly smarter.

The Evil Formula giving him enhanced physical ability at the cost of, well, being evil. And we all know how early Alt!Pauls go looking for enhancements.

Oh, is light dawning over marblehead? Finally starting to realise this is a bad thing?

<snaps figners> :mad: Dangit!

...Is it weird to feel sympathetic for this Ring VI? :confused: Because it is clearly being overworked.

Oh, that's worrying...

...Oh, they've had this conversation before, haven't they?

And it's a little hard to stay on the good side of the League if you start getting a reputation for lethality.

And this is why you do not mess around with mind-altering formulas, no matter how useful they seem.

Oh, that 'Hey' has so many ways it could be taken...

Yes, that's a quite reasonable excuse for missing a date. Especially for teenage vigilantes.

After all, a night out chasing criminals is easily as good as a nice meal in.

...Okay, for all his lack of morality, that is a good detail to point out. Lone heroes tend to get themselves killed, after all. All it takes is one guy you didn't spot.

And really, there's no backup like a Lantern for easy takedowns.

I mean, Kid Flash could easily have gotten there quick. And he'd happily let you take the lead.

Ah, yes, her 'cover story' of being Green Arrow's 'niece'...

I mean, assholish as he is, he does care for you, in his own twisted way...

Though they still have to manage the task of hauling whatever they're shipping overland. Truck rental cuts into the profits, after all. :p

...Honestly, I'm surprised the Guardians haven't given Hal or John The local Lanterns orders to that effect. What with the 'Orange Ring out in the wild' angle.

...That he knows about. Or at least openly admits to knowing about. (Since he did know he had a son at some point.)

Two words: Power. Ring.

Gee, you think, Hagrid?

Well, overworked or not, this Ring VI is damn snarky about it. I like it.

Well, at least he recognises the creep factor. Not that it would stop him.

Volume! Just because the crooks there are bubbled up, doesn't mean the neighbourhood is. :p

And now you know something even Kaldur doesn't necessarily know.

...Okay, 'Mia' is not Speedy II, then. I'm guessing said villain AI is Brainiac, though.

To be fair, the way you said it, it was easy to assume the more criminal alternative.

As if he'd let someone else prepare his food, huh?

At least he's still able to keep himself in check a little at this stage... Even if he is still calculating how best to seduce her.

Yeah, kind of not a romantic spot, no matter how you dress it up.

Getting a little possessive there, Tang. Easy.

Man, this timeline really is just the painful kind, isn't it. We know where he ends up. But seeing him get there is uncomfortable to watch, yet you feel the need to watch it anyway. Just seeing so many chances for him to undo the original mistake and he just keeps refusing... I think that's why we like to hate this guy. The same reason you want to shout at the dumb-asses in slasher movies to stop being idiots... They could win, if they'd stop doing it wrong.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

At no time has this character consumed faecal matter.
    Except possibly while being born, but just about everyone does that.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, the ring was going to say 'what I think you should say is...' but got interrupted.
    Ah. I think so?

4. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

He shows up in:

Episode 99 Plutonian, When You're Evil
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/3453640

Episode 106 Back Seat, Sauntering Downwards (part 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5)
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/3939547
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/3942431
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/3960136
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/3966212
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/4013258

I seem to recall he was also involved in the big crisis event (Episode 97 Duplication) but I can’t find where and it may have just been a cameo.

The ring wants to reformat his brain to think differently, functionally killing the person he currently is and replacing him with a new person. Specifically a copy of the person he was before taking the evil formula.
    Identity death is still death, even if the process also creates someone new.

5. Mr Zoat

Yes.
    He'd argue both 'rules' and 'shadows', and this is well before that happened.
    No. This Mia.
    She's about five years old, so she's probably just starting junior school.
    Neither of those two are Green Lanterns in this timeline. Abin Sur is still around, having been a regular visitor to Earth since he chased Mister Mind here in 1943 and teamed up with Alan Scott and Theodore Knight.

kerleth, BR549, Cuchulin and 9 others like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It is quite the absurd situation.

No, it's a female version of Superboy.

See my post above.

This is one of the few times we're rooting for a ring made out of greed to take over.

And this one did it in a very, very dumb manner.

At least renegade saw an example of what would happen to a human before he took the strength formula.

No.

Depends on how fast he is.

They may be keeping an eye on him, but know being around him 24/7 isn't practical.

Don't you dare compare the loveable giant to this rapist shit.

It's not necessarily paranoia.

He may just like cooking, or thought she'd consider it more romantic.

7. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’belief’

The ring seems to have a lot of personality. Is it a copy of his pre-Evil consciousness like with that alternate universe Sinestro ring? The speech patterns don’t seem quite right, though.

8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

9. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

You forgot?

Paul knew the super soldier crap he was going to use could have mental side effects, so he copied his consciousness template into the ring as a backup to reverse the changes if they went too far off the baseline. Sadly Tangseid didn't want the ring to overwrite the new him, so he is currently working within certain parameters.

We do know how this ends, so it's fairly likely Tangseid eventually manages to overcome the template saved in the ring.

Rafin, kerleth, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, the first time we saw this guy there wasn't a snarky ring talking, so I guess the personality isn't gonna be permanent.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  11. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Which one is this again?

I know there was one that juiced himself up with demon-energy and became an inccubus.
    And there was the one who brainwashed wonderwoman. (and everyone else)

I don't think this guy is him though, since Artemis still has free will.
    This guy has a voice in his head (from where?) and apparently used some kind of 'evil formula' to enhance his body?

Edit:
    Ah, this is the brainwashing one... but back before he started doing that?

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah.

he first time we saw him it was after he'd brainwashed people.

All subsequent appearances of him were before he did it.

The second time we saw hm was when he took his formula.

kerleth and Prince Charon like this.
  13. Dragoon140

Dragoon140 Getting some practice in, huh?

Disturbing as this one is, he does make for a VERY interesting read.

kerleth and Xmaster3000 like this.
  14. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I thought Tangseid was a different Paul then the one who modified himself and started hitting on Artemis?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
    Xmaster3000 likes this.
  15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

They're the same guy. Hitting on Artemis is relatively early in his timeline.

16. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Same.

17. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

check back seat, I believe, his backstory and early evil are intertwined there

moralrelativity likes this.
  18. moralrelativity

Thank you.

Ardy likes this.
  19. Threadmarks: Hellish Content (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

Day 5
    16th March 2013
    07:56 GMT

I look out of the carriage window, down from the thin and narrow road heading towards Lady Rosacarnis's manor house. It's like one of those cartoon cliff side paths that crumble underneath Wile Ethelbert Coyote just after Road Runner dashes across, but it stretches out far further, has even less support and from the look of the surface has been in use for far longer.

And down below, what looks like a pit of burning spectres, desperately and fruitlessly reaching for relief or escape.

"Druoth, what's the point of that?"

Druoth doesn't look around from the coachman's seat. "The point of what, m'lord?"

"This road, the pit, the journey… Just about anything I've seen since leaving Neron's penis-substitute of a fortress."

"I couldn't comment on Neron's manhood, m'lord, but as you observed his temper is somewhat uneven."

"Seemed pretty even to me."

"As you say, m'lord."

"Not in a good way, I just didn't see anything to convince me that there was anything there beyond ego. And.. power. But what about the rest?"

"The location suited my former master, m'lord. It grants access to the city without quite being inside the city. Away from the riffraff, you understand."

Hm.

"No. No, honestly, I'd have thought that being closer to the city would be almost pure benefit. Neron's clearly not intellectually capable of doing anything complicated, and this way anyone who visits your mistress is completely obvious. All Neron would have to do is place one of his least brain damaged minions in an observation position and he'd see all the comings and goings and there's a rear entrance that he hasn't spotted."

"I cannot give away any confidences of my mistress's house."

"Can he hit it from here?"

"The topology of the infernal realms is no simple matter, and Neron is capable of more complex spell-casting than his… Demonstration, might have suggested."

"So, yes. Alright, but…" Ah. "Oh… Really? You don't site it in the city so that he doesn't see it tank one of his tantrums and then try focusing on it?"

"I couldn't say, m'lord."

Okay, that's stupid, but it makes sense. "What about the road?"

"What of it, m'lord?"

'Why does it look so thin?', is what I want to ask. But… Dream Of Infrastructure.

'It looks thin because Hell is stupid' isn't an answer I'm happy with, but the road clearly is solid. So… Something to do with the lake? Power source? I sit back in the carriage, which looks like a standard aristocrat's coach but actually has the internal dimensions to contain a man of my size. I'll ask the lady of the manor.

And here we are. Demonic gothic castle with.. an actual… Eighteenth century manor sticking out of it? Suggests a degree of civility at least. Rosacarnis herself isn't waiting for me. I suppose I just don't rank..? Or perhaps she wants me to see her hard at work to give the best first impression.

Druoth pulls open the door, and I step outside.

"How does it work in Hell? Does the house employ many servants, or is it just you?"

He leads the way towards the heavy wooden doors which guard the front entrance, and they open at his approach.

"Many demons work in the background. Few are allowed to present themselves before the mistress."

Decoration is… Medieval with a demonic twist. Friezes of demons decapitating angels and laughing at burning sinners. Images of saints where each shows some hidden vice. Paintings of hunting scenes where the prey are intelligent creatures, or where the huntsman falls to temptation and is slain, damned and his soul is taken by the demon who distracted him.

And there are some natty banners with interesting runic designs. And-.

I stop, looking down at my feet and the… Muscle tissue?

I snort, shaking my head as I start walking again. A demonic red carpet. Touching.

Druoth reaches a large and impressive-looking double door and then turns, bowing.

"The lady is within."

"Thank you."

He pulls open one side of the door and steps aside, gesturing to the opening with his free hand. I walk-.

"Am I supposed to tip you?"

"That won't be necessary, m'lord."

Right, well, I offered. Arms folded behind my back, I strike through… Huh. Not actually that big.

Rosacarnis herself is a relatively plain woman, black hair, Caucasian skin… Doesn't look like she's been getting much sun. Human-looking in general, without any of the bestial traits or exaggeration I'm used to seeing in demons. She's sitting in a plush chair, a glass of something that's probably magic-enriched wine on a nearby side table. The other chairs around the table are noticeably less nice, but still good quality. Seats for subordinate allies, then. And she's waiting for me to say something.

I bow a slight degree. "Lady Rosacarnis, I am Grayven, here at the behest of the First. Your butler intimated that you wanted to speak to me?"

"You are here to test our efficiency? Our effectiveness?"

"Yes."

"At what, precisely?"

"Whatever is it that you do."

"I was trying to take revenge against the wizard who killed my father."

"Okay, one, you hated your father. Two, I'm pretty sure that you killed him after he came back here."

There's a very slight twitch. Surprised I knew about that? You did order him tortured to death in front of quite a few lackeys.

"And three, your personal fixations are your own problem. How are you at damning mortal souls?"

She waves her right hand dismissively. "I don't answer general summonings myself. I have people for that."

"Ah! Good, good. I'll want to go over your training scheme, pricing, that sort of thing. Neron had an episode before I could get that far with him."

"You do realise that this is a scheme of some sort, don’t you?"

"Yeah, and I don't care-." Hm. "Though while we're on the subject, you've got a load of information about Neron's doings, right?" She shrugs. "Share it all, and I'll kill your uncle for you."

"My uncle is immortal."

I smirk. "No such thing. Your uncle is merely very tough, as you yourself demonstrated. Come on. I'm giving you security in exchange for information on your enemy. What's the problem, here?"

She considers me for a moment, then nods. "Very well. I will show you to his resting place myself. I believe that I will find this educational."

Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
  20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Now, is it a simple quirk of the environment, arcane as it is, or has it been made that way as a subtle display of power, a flex upon her visitors? I suppose it adds to the bleak, eerie atmosphere of the region, if nothing else. Like those classic horror comics of DC's...

I bet even though he's making a show of handling the reins, the road is as stable and easy to navigate as an empty four-lane highway...

An understatement on all parts there. I'd be amazed if Neron wasn't basically a eunuch given his grandiose displays of compensation. :p

Ah, this guy enjoys being the gentleman's gentleman, eh? Or at least playing the part.

And more easily defensible in the case of trouble, no doubt.

On the other hand... You did see the result of his little tantrum, right?

See, there's a more reasonable explanation.

Ha! He probably would take that kind of durability as an affront.

Atmosphere. Like any good villain, it's all about presentation.

Heh. Pressing the point just feels like pettiness, eh?

Or she honestly is busy and can't get away, or she simply wants more time to take your measure.

I bet it's like Wizarding houses. If you see a servant, either you called for one, or they've fouled up somehow.

I suppose it runs smoothly. And it makes sense that she doesn't want to see the lowest castes, disgusting as some of them can be.

No doubt running the full breadth of human art, I bet. People can be very imaginative about the supernatural, especially monstrous things.

Woven, grown or assembled, I wonder? Though all three would make you shudder at the logistics of it.

No doubt designed to intimidate visitors into submissive attitudes... Pity the Renegade laughs at that sort of thing.

All about presentation. There's just a certain style about these things...

Still, the offer is a good show of character.

Well, let's not keep the lady waiting.

Well, word is spreading, I see. At least some are paying attention.

Everything, of course. Both the visible things and the intangible.

That father would be the demon Nergal, of course. I suppose she takes more after her mother's looks.

It's still the principle of the thing. Like a criminal organisation. "They put one of ours in the hospital, we put one of theirs in the morgue!"

Ah, she's a master of at least one talent: Delegation.

Of course it is. But the First has something the Renegade wants, and, well...

The wanna-be demon lord Stecorax, before anyone asks. A bit player in the grand history of Hell...

After all, the Renegade does have something very good at separating powerful things from their power. And without that power... They're very vulnerable things indeed.

This promises to be interesting, dealing with this lady of Hell. She's no delicate flower, after all, and her vendettas are slow and deliberate. But she's smart, in ways other nobles aren't. So no doubt she'll play along with the Renegade, until she can suss out what the First's plan is. Whether she ends up surviving that plan, whatever it is, remains to be seen, of course.

21. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Amen.

22. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘prey’?
    ’turns, bowing’?

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch and Duke Long like this.
  24. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

25. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

If Gravyen breaks out the Sword of the Fallen, In Hell of all places, that might have actually been part of the First's Plan....after all, it's HIS sword, make of His 'brothers' the second and third, and Grayven's been fairly liberal with it's use since getting his mitts on it.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, that's the most likely possibility.

Or he's keeping the Renegade here while he searches for it on Earth.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Doesn't Grayven still have those soul energy tattoos?

Cause this might be a play similar to the one that was pulled on OL where the actual ploy is for Hell's ambient Hellness to corrupt him.

28. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I'm almost positive he didn't need to get those designed because he had Father Box install aethric grafts way back when he first got it.

29. moralrelativity

"them all" is referring to "a load of information" so I think
    them -> it

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.