1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

On the upside, they're not likely to be traitorous - not enough ego of their own left, by the looks of it. But they may respond to any lawful order given to them, even by other people... Probably just as the First planned.

The joy of having naturally chaotic beings as the ones maintaining order. Justice becomes subject to their whims, and their master cares not about their actions.

And no doubt, those who serve them are as mercurial as their masters. Punishing the weaker at their whims... Even if those they discipline have done nothing to deserve it.

Yeah, that was pretty much a given, just based on what's known about him via metaknowledge. The question is, what can you do about it that won't make things worse for the denizens of Purgatory.

Though no doubt he enjoyed the pain they were suffering. He is a sadistic bastard, after all.

And given some of the defectives that have gained power, it might be needed. On the other hand, letting them stay in power would keep Hell weakened, because a strong Hell...

I imagine the term 'Eldritch Horror' is a perfectly valid description of them. The best hope is that they lack the cognitive motivations to do anything more than sleep.

...No, summoning a Cthulu-alike is not a good idea, Renegade.

Which is interesting. He calls them brothers, but... They're more like sons. With their 'mother' being the shattered chunk of reality where the First faceplanted after being yeeted out of heaven.

The first would be confusing around Hell, the second is rather generic, and the third... ;) Is probably a curse-word in Hell.

Observing the formalities, eh?

Hey, it might be following the lead of just about every other non-residential place on Earth.

I shudder to imagine the bizarre materials available to demons, and the sort of thing that could give some of them a buzz...

True. And I assume Demonstantine's done his research to know that the Renegade won't mess with someone unless they deserve it.

Heh. Could keep him on a very short leash if you can fabricate absolutely perfect ciggies. The sort that make all others terrible by comparison...

Like most things Hellblazer related, that's underselling it so much...

Though he's certainly earned his place since.

...Well, that sounds awkward. No doubt it can be linked back to the original Constantine somehow...

Not that he likes that, really. Yet it's probably to tied to his self-image that he couldn't imagine having a different face.

I'm sure Hell has far worse things for him to suffer. Just a matter of someone deciding to mess with him, really...

Yes, good question. Why is he here? Come to laugh at the Renegade? Come to offer his tainted advice?

Well, if it ain't broke...

Good to see he's realistic about his chances in a trickery contest with John...

If anything, it's more like exponential amplification.

...And I'm sure the Renegade will be happy to give you a dose of the Sword of the Fallen when you do.

Honestly, I'm amazed the Demonstantine has lasted so long as he is, given that he's not a particularly powerful demon, just an immensely crafty one. No doubt he uses headology to trick anyone coming after him with intent. And now he has a grudge with the Renegade. Well, this isn't going to come back later and bite the Renegade at all, no sir. :rolleyes:

2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's too much to say that Demon Constantine has a grudge. More like he sees an opportunity to take advantage of something and is waiting for the right moment to make his move. He just gave the Renegade an option to try and profit from whatever scam he's thinking of pulling off.

3. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

'Them', I think.

'making'

4. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

'ork-levels’ since they’re a species?
    I always liked this explanation for orks running when their leader is killed. Is it actually canon, or just nice fanon?
    Extraneous full stop?

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    In my day orks ran when the boss died because they were Ld7 and unlike the Guard didn't have leadership bubbles.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think they were made by God, so technically, they are his brothers.

Wouldn't be the dumbest thing he did.

Remember the time he impersonated an Apokaliptian in front of a bunch of people who could report his presence to their leader and said leader could potentially send someone to apprehend him?

He is cunning, and useful.

Plus, some of the demons mau keep him alive to torture him because they can't get the original.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Remember when he followed that up by trusting a fatherbox, an item that was introduced into DC canon in the Orion series where it was secretly conspiring against Orion for Darkseid?

And assumed that his "Oh I'm Gravy but I lost my soul" would work against a device that undoubtedly could read his DNA and see that his DNA doesn't match, read his body's trace metals and pinpoint where in England he's from, read his immune system to notice the antibodies for every vaccine he's gotten and disease he's ever gotten in his life, and that his facial structure is similar but doesn't actually match?

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That would just make things worse since it can't strip what actually makes Constantine dangerous from him.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  9. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Ok but it kind of did work. The Father Box totally believed him, and even helped him get his soul back.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Stsword

And where did you get that idea?

Because Renegade believed it? Renegade was also surprised that Fatherbox was snitching to Darkseid.

So his understanding of Fatherbox's thought processes were obviously nonexistent.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    Cuchulin likes this.
  11. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Pretty sure we had WoG that Paul isn't actually some sort of DC amnesiac? At least that's what the TV tropes page says and I don't want to try and hunt down actual WoG.

Father Box being the one to start installing the aethric graphs after he first claimed to be Grayven would also be a good place to think about why he actually developed into a New God of Conquest (ignoring that he was pretending to be one at first). Especially if we think about what we learned about all those brain dead clones, the implications that Grayven was purposefully made rather the just another son. Why not try and actually turn this spiritually empty (no soul) human claiming to be Grayven into another Grayven. That also would heavily imply that Darkseid knows and doesn't care because this one is succeeding far more than the one who dove into the Bleed)

Renegade still can't say the word Paul, a trait he only shares with the various Paul's in the multiverse. And he's the only one who 'got his memory and soul back'? To me that seems like definitive proof that while he may be Grayven now (especially with fusing with the Grayven with the dreadnought), he wasnt ever originally Grayven.

Got a bit ramby, sorry about that.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Threadmarks: Hellish Consent (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

24th September 2010
    12:12 GMT -5

"So, ah…" Artemis looks around my laboratory. "This… Is where you hang out.. when you're not… Whatever."

Scan the rat and add it to the chart. Now that I know what I'm looking for, I can see the inrodentia behaviour that I included in the bubble of 'increasingly dominant' behaviours when it really wasn't. Continuing to attack a rat that has surrendered and tried to flee, for example. Chimps will do that, but I don't have a licence for chimp experiments.

"One of the places."

And?

And no one wants a chimp supervillain.

True, but not the point. What would you be testing for?

To see how their behaviour changes.

Artemis stares into one of the rat warrens, watching the little monsters run hither and thither for a few moments before turning around to look at me. "So what exactly are you..? Experimenting on them for?"

"There are dozens of ways to augment people, but most of them are hard to replicate. They require rare materials, only work on certain people, the person who invented it died without leaving any records…" I circle my right hand. "It's… Frustrating."

I step back and draw my pistol.

"Can be a bit fun, though." I raise it and point it at Streaky the Cat. "Watch."

Her eyes wide. "Don't-!"

BANG!

Streaky collapses, half its head blown off by the bullet. I start the clock.

"What did you do that for?!"

"Wait for it."

"Wait for what you psycho?!"

Streaky's remains twitch, and I start watching it even more closely.

"This usually takes about thirty seconds."

"Oh God. What-?"

The brain, bone and flesh regrow, then the hair all over its body sticks straight out as if it had a huge static charge. It awkwardly clambers to its feet, but a misjudged pull causes it to float upwards into the air. Streaky itself doesn't seem unduly bothered by that and lets it legs just droop as it looks down on us.

"What happened?"

"I got a blood sample from a man called Mitchell Shelley. He's got a form of nanobots in his blood that resurrect him whenever he dies. And every time he dies, he gets a new superpower."

"What… Part of that means you need to shoot a cat in the head?"

"Contrary to popular belief, lethal injection is actually a pretty painful way to die, whereas a bullet to the brain is almost instant."

It reaches the ceiling, and tries to scrabble around so that it can get its claws into the ceiling panels. Turning over works perfectly well, but its attempt at grabbing on with claws just pushes it off the ceiling and back towards the floor.

"But why a cat?"

"Mia said something about feeling lonely, so using nanotech to increase her cat's survivability and longevity just seemed natural."

"You shot Mia's cat?"

"I made Mia's cat immortal." Ah… Shouldn't over-sell it. "Probably. I probably made her cat immortal."

"P-probably? You mean you-. You weren't.. sure..?"

"Oh, no, just that I knew it would get better from being shot. I don't know that it's immortal. The thing about immortality is that it's easy to prove things aren't immortal. Proving things are immortal is harder."

"Okay, this is-. Does this..? Okay. Does Mia know what you're doing with her cat?"

"Ah… Probably? I mean, she's got super hearing, so she almost certainly hears the shots."

"Did you-? You didn't tell her."

"I told her I gave her cat super powers. She seemed pretty happy about it."

"Can you make anything immortal?"

I sigh. "No. After I took the initial sample and used it, the nanobots adapted to the technique I used to flash their memory. Everything that hadn't already adapted to the rats and the cat just shut down, and the same things happens to fresh samples."

I shake my head. That was… So disappointing. The superpowers are more or less irrelevant since they're almost always worse than a power ring. Flawless regeneration, even from fatal injuries, with a guarantee of no memory loss, slipped through my grasp and I don't even understand why. I'd have taken that over the Evil Formula any day.

Yeah. That was a big loss all around.

Well, what did you expect me to do? Just dose myself and hope for the best?

No, that would have been a bad idea. I'm just lamenting what could have been.

"Can it fix other stuff?"

"Yes, but it's slower than dying and resurrecting. I'm not sure why." Honestly, I'm mostly hoping that the resurrection effect turns out to be something I can load into the ring.

Me too. I'd be delighted to fix everything wrong with you.

Hah. "Shelley told me that he shoots himself if he stubs his toe, because it's easier than waiting for the pain to die down."

"Okay, but-. What about other injuries?"

I turn away from the aerocat and look at her. "Are you thinking of getting augmented? I've got a few which don't have-"

She shakes her head. "No, no."

"-side-. Effects?" I pull my right hand back from my Vitamin X bottle. "Okay, what-?"

"Like if someone had a severed spine or something."

Ah… "No, nothing here would fix-. Reliably fix that."

"Oh."

"That could be fixed with a biodegradable lattice and a stem cell solution, and that's a mundane treatment. Already proven to work on rats. You'd need to find a university that was ready for human trials, but because of how stem cells work it's basically guaranteed to work properly. I watched a program which showed researchers using that technique to grow a human heart, it's fascinating stuff."

"Right." She nods. "I was just hoping there was some way to just… Click your fingers and make it go away. Y'know? I get there's actually a lot of work in-."

"I could just fix it using the power ring. That would be easier." I shrug. "Take a few seconds, no side effects as far as I can tell. Why, do you have a spinal injury?"

She looks at me as if she's trying to spot a trick. I'm not sure-.

"My Mom? Ring any bells?"

"Oh. Yes. Ah. Hm."

"So, can you-? Can you fix her?"

"Will I.. get a second date out of it?"

Her face hardens. "Are you seriously holding my Mom's spine to ransom?"

"I have an orange power ring. It's literally powered by selfishness."

"I guess that explains why you're so powerful."

I consider frowning, but-. No. "Yes. I want to date you. If doing a thing gets me a date, I can do it. If I tried healing your mother out of pure altruism, it wouldn't work. I wouldn't be able to do it. I mean, I'm sure your mother is as.. fine a woman as an ex-supervillain can be, but I don't have any investment in her."

Her face relaxes a little. "So.. you couldn't do it, if-. Okay. And I just-. A date."

I nod. "Yes."

"And.. you're not-." She shakes her head. "Okay. A date. Somewhere public this time."

I nod. "Can do. Shall we go and see her now?"

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  13. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

My post was half sarcasm and half a mater of Grayven's claim being true retroactively, with how New God nature works it's possible he was always Grayven, and Paul was retroactively erased.

14. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

augments -> augment
    die -> died
    affect -> effect ?

15. Stsword

Huh, Zoat changed Resurrection Man a bit there.

In the comics, you see, his resurrective immortality came from the tektites, alien nanites, yes.

The semi-random superpowers he gets in response to his death, however, is innate to him.

Before he reincarnated as Mitch Shelley, apparently he'd die, be reborn as someone with semi-random superpower depending on how he died last time, rinse and repeat.

In his series the alien tektites were also responsible for Vandal Savage's immortality and Immortal Man's immortality and presumably psychic powers as well.

I actually liked that origin, but of course DC retconned that, because comic book writers think consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds to mangle a Ralph Waldo Emerson quote.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I really hope this side digression ends with someone just killing this fucknugget and reversing everything he did to people.

Jaron, boo600 and topin89 like this.
  17. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

I suspect that these ongoing attempts to date Artemis are what's going to lead him to internalize that he's lost the ability to coast on through keeping up conventional social relationships, but in a way where he doesn't react against his changes, and instead reacts against other people/society/the voice of his ring, leading to the true start of darkness/world conquest.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, boy... Bringing your date to your mad science lair. This isn't going to seem creepy at all, Tang. Still, given that he's operating on rather lax morals right now, I can understand his missing that she might be... Concerned.

Ah, that speaks of things gone wrong.

And before you say, how bad can it be: Chimpanzees are stronger than humans, despite their size. Breaking bones, tearing off patches of skin... It ain't pretty what they can do...

I suppose a morality-relaxing super-serum is hard to test on things with no innate morality that a human can discern.

Since he still carries a sidearm at this stage, lacking Enlightenment. As opposed to the SI's powered armour with various integrated low-lethality systems...

Yeah, not being a creepy guy at all.

:eek: ...Wait, clock? Did you give a cat a goddamn resurrective healing factor?

You just shot a random cat in front of her. I don't think she's in the mood for science, Tang.

Well, that's just disturbing. Especially with you watching the corpse intently.

Regretting ever trying to be friendly with Tang now, huh, Arty?

A flying cat. Or at least anti-gravitational. No vase or mug near a ledge is safe now!

...You put his nanites in the cat. But not in yourself. Interesting.

...If it weren't for the fact you shot it a minute ago, this might be amusing.

...Only to you, Tang. Then again, the alternatives... Well, would an Evil Formula really do much to a cat? :p

True, even Shelly eventually dies... After about 850,000 years.

Especially if said reviving effect isn't instantaneous, or at least rapid.

And naturally, he doesn't give a flying fuck about the trauma it might be causing to her. Because evil.

...Well, it's not a lie. Technically.

Gee, how sad for you.

Hah, the Ring and I agree. Though really, anything would be better than something named the 'Evil Formula'! :rolleyes:

I'm guessing massive body horror meltdown

Strange. It repairs all the damage anyway in the resurrection process. So why have it be slower? Safety features to preserve the mind because the process hurts?

...That should not be taken as any sort of advice.

Eesh. Tang could be a total power dealer if he turned supervillain openly.

Amusing, given her unwanted empowering in the SI timeline...

What, no 'healing factors in a bottle' at all? Or just some with nasty drawbacks?

I assume the DC Universe's research on it is that much more advanced because 'comic book science'...

...Okay, Tang, we all know you're not that much of an idiot.

...Or did you just enjoy forcing her to say it?

Can he? Of course. Will he? Cui Bono?

She is about one second from kicking him in the fork, storming out and telling the team what he's shown her...

Yes, no Hope, Compassion or Love to get in the way...

Goddammit, lady. Is his idiot act just that powerful that you can't see it's just that? Or does she just have a thing for assholes?

No doubt he won't accidentally rejuvenate her, like the SI did. No enough desire to help her.

My god, Tang is such a little... If we didn't know he wins out in the end, I'd want to see him foul up and expose his real behaviour in a way that the usual DC stupidity can't hide. Alas, with the future a known quantity, this side plot just ends up getting worse and worse for the good guys. I shudder to imagine what he'd do with the Ophidian's power if he got his hands on her.

kerleth, Prince Charon, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  19. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’whenever’?

I’m surprised the ring didn’t tell him shooting a cat would be a faux-pas (and also animal cruelty). Hm, is it trying to allow heroes to see his bad personality in the hopes that they’ll somehow turn on him and force him to revert the Evil?

20. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

You know I don't get all the hate for Tangseid, I think he's funny.

21. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

I think he's interesting when contrasted against other alts and seeing how things can go differently, plus the unrepentant dick he is can be pretty amusing.

I can also understand why people find him morally repulsive, to say the least.

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's about where the real world was in 2010.
    A problem about not having empathy is that he genuinely didn't realise that she might be asking for someone else.

23. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Can we please go back to forgetting about this version, if I want to deal with psychopaths pretending to care I can read about politics. Chapters about this version are very much a chore to read.

Fellow, Ardy and Silverbladestar like this.
  24. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

I like reading TangPaul since it takes the sort sociopathic tendency of Para-Paul sometimes shows or thinks about without the dickishness of Grayven who renegade nature is unappealing to me. Plus there's something entertaining about everyone else in the cape business react to someone who investigates and exploits the weird things they usually leave alone or don't think about, be it schizotech or magic, and them being left bamboozled by someone so well prepared. Not to mention how difficult it would be trying to romance a comic book character depending on what sort of character the MC is at their core or under the influence of mind altering macguffins, in this case an aspiring heroine who feels accountable of her supervillain family's actions.

Plus given this universe version of Superboy is a girl who knows what other changes are possible and the sort of character interactions could happen. Like we know Diana his main squeeze in the future but maybe in the build up he winds up seducing/corrupting other heroines/villainesses as well. Depending on well Mia is getting on with being more than just a clone/weapon of Superman I can see her and TangPaul hanging out or going on dates where she figures out what she likes to do aside from being a hero. Maybe desperate characters like Holly end up being taken advantage by TangPaul, maybe robotic characters like Red Inferno or Red Torpedo depending on which is female get rebuilt as advance gynoids with secret subroutines to serve his interests, or his list of possible magical artifacts include objects with subtle mind/perception effects.

kerleth, PJCG, Cuchulin and 1 other person like this.
  25. Cool10007

Cool10007 Hack

Ah, resurrection man my beloved. Nice to see someone acknowledging the existence of one of my favourite DC characters- though admittedly it’s a fair choice narratively speaking with his power. Super hobo is a pretty cool concept, though I prefer the original version to the newer comics.

Kiden likes this.
  26. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

That's cute, the word you're looking for is mind rape.

27. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

me too, but we already know that doesn’t happen

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

We can always dream.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Do we?

Maybe Booster Gold shows up in the past and fucks him up with anti-lantern future tech.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Dragoon140

Dragoon140 Getting some practice in, huh?

Agreed, as well as just really interesting to explore for how dark a turn this is from other variants of the OC.