1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

[​IMG]

Duke Long, Osserumb, Kiden and 9 others like this.
  2. Azzy Rael

Azzy Rael Know what you're doing yet?

To be fair, its not exactly mutually exclusive. Yoinking people’s things requires the desire to possess them, therefor…. Still Orange Light.

3. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

I thought the ring tells him the date? Weren't there entries where he starts without the ring that didn't have a date?

Prince Charon likes this.
  4. Mr Zoat

In this situation the ring has no way to discover the local date. At least, not in a format that would mean anything to him.

5. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

It could be, but I don't think so.

He could have stumbled over a planet in one of Mammon's realms rather than Throne, and there's enough fuckery that Yisun could have set up an actual Orange Lantern causally antecedent but temporally precedent to Paul's presence there just because of the atemporal nature of the Wheel, but the Hologram makes me think it's not K6BD. While they do have the technology and magic to make something like that, I don't remember ever seeing holograms in the webcomic; hell, Solomon has literal town criers delivering messages across his territory, despite television apparently existing.

Also, while the mosaic could represent the enfranchisement of demiurges by Zoss, or the enfranchisement of priests by a demiurge, you'd expect atleast one of the figures to be a Dragon for either scenario in Mammon's territory.

(though I haven't read through the rulebooks for the tabletop, so I don't have a full picture of the setting, and I could be wrong and me thoughts aren't exactly fully dispositive here).

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  6. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

I wonder how Zoat will slot the Alterans in Stargate? They seem like Malthusian equivalent until Stargate: Atlantis and then they get a LOT more dumbed down and ’humanized’.

I like to think of Alteran Ancients and Atlantean Ancients as different. Millions of years of separation as a culture / society.

Single City-Ship making a new Empire, all that lost knowledge, be better and worse at different things.

Once this SI gets ahold of something Ancient (that doesn’t almost kill him) he’ll probably be set on the technology side of things for this universe. If taking Goauld purposefully shitty tech and making it better doesn’t already do that.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He's not a descendant of the Ancients, so he wouldn't be able to use anything Ancient.

8. Jiro

Jiro Getting sticky.

It's a specific gene that's needed. The ring should have no trouble giving it to him.

Kiden and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It absolutely should.

The only reason that sort of thing worked in canon was because it was being used on people who already had the gene, just in a mostly dormant state. And we aren't talking "gene" in the DC sense either. We're talking it in the real life sense where it results in a number of physiological differences. Many of which express themselves in the structure of the brain.

10. Mr Zoat

We just had a whole thing about how modifying your body is a bad idea.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Even if he doesn't get the gene, the ring may just be able to take control of Ancient tech without it.

The Maltusians are at least on the Alterans level, probably higher, so I don't see why it couldn't work.

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"every"

And there's a classical bit of Britishness from a new Paul.

Stealing things from locals.

13. Artemisnemo

Artemisnemo Getting sticky.

Well no, we just had a whole thing about how permanently altering your mental state while using an object that runs off your mental state, is a bad idea.

These are two very different things. Pretty much the first thing all the orange Pauls do, is alter their bodies. Nobody had an issue with them being young and fit, just psychotic.

Xmaster3000, Kiden, kerleth and 3 others like this.
  14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The high end comic Malthusians are in a couple places.

Zoat's heavily altered Malthusians however should be nowhere near the Alterans.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Zoat, I know you can't see him, but you uh, it's kind of embarrassing, but uh, you kind of just agreed with Vaermina there.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Stranger things have happened.

Granted, it's rare, but occasionally it happens.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Either "A rap of my knuckles and a scrape of my fingernails" or "I rap my knuckles and scrape my fingernails"

I think you meant "to my guards"?

18. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

True, I remember the world of cardboard speech.
    Still at this point in time nobody actually knows this except maybe Paul.

Given the threat he represents do you really want people to go in unprepared thinking
    "Just throw superman at him and we'll be fine."
    Better to give people a reason to stop and think about how this is going to work before they go and get killed for being stupid.
    Justice League Dark: Apokolips War shows how bad that can end and that's without deploying anti-life.

telling them he can bitch slap superman through planets just by looking at him makes the league decide maybe they should plan this out and up gun the planet first.

Cuchulin, Lord Ernest and Ardy like this.
  19. Blue1ao

Blue1ao I miss sleeping

You can't just put the 1st two of wyrm at the front of the episode and the next at the last T.T why do you make it so hard not to skip chapters... Also I was laughing a lot in the last episode when the world meets the space capitalism

20. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

by -> my

What a great suggestion. I'd love it if that was the case.
    Definitely a lot of the colonising attitude IMO. Espescially with this Paul's thought about taking the wall image to the Brisish Museum.

Duke Long and Prince Charon like this.
  21. Celtic Spartan

Celtic Spartan Know what you're doing yet?

depends on if he can learn to use his ring with a high level of proficiency cause if he manages that his ring can just absorb the ascended. also the wraith are actually more vulnerable to pauls predations then the Goa'uld.

Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He could certainly try.

But of course, even if it were possible an Ascended Being wouldn't just sit there and let him. And Ascended Beings are very capable of killing a Power Ring user.

Unlike the Goa'uld that fake it, the Wraith are in fact offensive oriented psychics.

And Paul doesn't even have the standard level of Ancient descendant defense to such things.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Threadmarks: Starring (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

14th August 2013
    Morning
    A few minutes later

Humans. They're… Humans.

Dad's a biology teacher, so there might be something that's different between them and… Humans-. From Earth, but as far as my scans can tell, they're human. Their buildings look… Are primitive, and while the people look North African to me they're living at latitudes that mean that the building styles from that part of the world wouldn't make sense and so they aren't using them. They're living on the continent with the underground palace I just raided. All of their towns are closer to the palace than the coast, and there aren't any settlements on the planet's other continents.

I try rotating the planet in my mind, trying to work out whether I'm looking at an Earth that's been rotated ninety degrees or something. No, doesn't look like it. Ah. Pangaea? Ring, map continental shelves?

A series of orange lines appear in my visual field, overlaying parts of the planet. Okay, so if that moves in or out…

No.

Where am I? When am I? How did-?

Ring… Any debris around here?

The lines vanish, and space around me lights up with orange pinpricks.

Anything that could be part of a ship?

Most of them vanish.

Show me.

An orange shape appears in front of me. It-. Alright, there's a straight edge that doesn't look natural, but it could just be a crystalline structure that is naturally straight. We didn't do a lot of stellar dynamics in G.C.S.E. Science Double Award, and that was a decade ago.

Scroll on.

No. No. No. … Maybe? Ugh, no actual ship and nothing big enough to give me any kind of lead.

This…

Ring, dismiss, go back to showing meThat settlement, there, on the edge of their civilisation.

Local morning, looks like it's early in the farming season. The men are out ploughing or otherwise working in the fields while the women are working around the farmhouses. Children… Oh, it looks like there's a school of some sort. Or possibly a church? Doesn't look like there's a local baron, so I'm not really sure how they're organised. On the other hand, they're a unified culture with no neighbours, so they probably don't need to worry about war, and between that and the.. lack of easily transferable money, crime rates are probably quite low. I don't see any guards.

An isolated village is a decent place to find out about how their civilisation works, because if I do something wrong they're probably not going to be able to tell anyone else. But I'm visibly a different ethnicity from the people there. Any of the people on the planet, in fact. And while I could just say that I'm from the other side of the continent I don't know what they call it.

Or I could try a larger town.

Huh.

Britain had roads thanks to the Romans, and that was the peak of our transportation networks until we started building canals and turnpikes over a thousand years later. Here, they've got roads that look they're made with clay bricks. Miles and miles of them, linking the largest towns with better roads than I was really expecting. They don't extend outwards, and the villages are connected to the network by dirt tracks, so… It's expensive and not worth doing for low traffic volumes? Sure, clay bricks aren't a super-advanced technology, I'm not seeing anything totally anachronistic. Still a bit of a surprise, though.

The towns themselves…

Okay, those are animal pens. That's a market town. That one… Mining, ore processing and forging? The streets are… Cleaner than I was expecting. Good night soil collection? Scan for… Shit. Oh, they actually have sewers, that's fairly impressive. And it takes it to… Ah, some sort of building. The design appears to be standard in all of the towns so I assume they're doing something with it. Making it into fertilizer, perhaps?

Doesn't matter.

Hard to tell, but it doesn't look like there's a lot of daily movement between the towns and the villages. But why would there be? Commuting isn't practical at this level of development and it doesn't look like it's market day. But there are definite differences in the styles of dress in the towns, whereas people in the villages are mostly dressed the same as each other, and-. Yes, in the southern parts of the continent nearer the pole hooded cloaks are common enough that I could probably walk around without anyone noticing anything out of the ordinary.

And ask them what? And ask who?

I-. Oh, getting paralysed by indecision isn't getting me anywhere, and there's no way I can work out what the 'right' answer is. Pick a village, drop down completely openly-.

I change my pyjamas into something a little more like what the wealthier-looking citizens wear.

Yes, that's better. Drop down-. No, drop down nearby and then walk into the village, wave and say 'hello' to people and generally make a point of acting harmless. Wait until the majority calm down, then… Try having an actual conversation. Not a great plan. Not even a good plan, probably, but it'll do.

Eenie meenie miney mo-.

That'll do.

I turn face down and fly towards the village I was looking at. If I've got no idea which is best then I might as well pick the one I've been watching the longest.

I know Lanterns can fly faster than light, but I don't think I want to try that while pointing at a planet. Fortunately, there seems to be some sort of built in system for not causing shockwaves when passing through an atmosphere at high speed. I found that out by accident when I went after the lantern and didn't check my speed, and I'm obviously rather glad. I don't think these people have gunpowder weapons, but a loud bang on a day with a clear sky would be fairly intimidating.

I wonder why that underground palace is there? Something from a prior civilisation? Did they go through a nuclear winter and recover to this level? If I looked more closely, would I see relics of the more advanced civilisation in private collections, or in the factories? Or would it be too long ago?

Okay, there's the treetops, slow down and manoeuvre… And land. Alright, it's early morning and the glow isn't that visible, so unless they were looking in exactly the right direction they probably didn't see me come in. Look harmless and walk.

I look at a tree as I approach it. The bark and leaf-shape looks sort of familiar, but I.. don't remember exactly what those look like on Earth trees. Same with the ferns growing around their base. They're ferns, and that's about all I can say.

More light leaks through the trees up ahead, and I can see where they've been cut down to make room for a field. The main track into the village is fairly close by, so I can just walk onto that-.

A man-. A young man in the field working with a hoe looks right at me as I come out of the woods. I raise my right arm in greeting, and after a slight delay he waves back before turning to another man a little further away and shouting something. I wave again and step out of cover entirely. They haven't bothered with a fence, not on land that's going to be planted, so I can just walk over to them and say 'hello'. If they want me off their land I can just leave.

"Good morning!"

The young man thrusts the hoe into the ground and leans on the shaft.

"Good health, stranger. What brings-." His eyes fix on the ring for a moment. "Oh, sorry Reverend. I didn't see your sigil."

Oh, that's interesting. The lantern has the same design as my ring, but I didn't notice that anywhere else was using it. That's… Part of their religion?

"That's fine." I walk to within more polite talking distance, but don't get too close just in case that's threatening. "I'm afraid that I've gotten quite lost. Could you please tell me where I-"

His eyes widen and he falls on his face in genuflection. Huh? I look over to his father and a second later he does the same.

"-am?"

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    They're not qualified to look after them themselves.
    Thank you, corrected.

Duke Long, Ardy, inglorius and 5 others like this.
  25. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Ooh, is he accidentally doing the Goa'uld glowy thing?

26. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

This does make Stargate seem more likely to me.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Huh. Okay, so it looks like it is Stargate. But Movie or Television series? There are slight differences between them, after all. Either way, this Alt!Paul may have to watch out for wandering Goa'uld, depending on timing...

Presumably said palace was the hall of their master, buried during some manner of attack.

Of course, you're assuming that the planet has significant continental drift. Not every world is so tectonically active as Earth.

Many questions, few answers...

Hmm. Bit of a mess up here. Perhaps this world was once held by this Mammon, but he, she or it was driven off.

Definite traces of a battle, then.

I'm guessing part of the power core? Not that he'd recognise it as such.

Methinks you're looking in the wrong direction for now...

Which probably isn't that far from a Gate. Goa'uld don't like their pets to spread out, after all.

Interesting. Medieval society, except for the collective schooling thing.

Not like they're any threat to you, certainly. So if they're hostile, you can just fly off.

Might draw a little too much unwanted attention. Just turning up in a town that's likely the centre of a controlled region might be suspicious. Especially if there's any controls on travel.

Presumably they're at least using iron tools, not bronze?

Can't have the slaves killing themselves with their own dirty habits, after all </goa'uld>

And it's easy enough for you to copy 'rich folk' clothes and pretend to be a dumb noble...

Ah, the classic 'Doctor Who' Approach. Though you lack the benefit of a TARDIS' natural disguising effect on clothing and speech.

Even if you will stand out like a pale sore thumb.

Remember to turn the light down, or folks will be wondering about the orange falling star.

Oh, wait until you get the hang of FTL Transitions... :D

And hopefully have a good story like 'Boy, how drunk did I get last night?'

Ah, yes, the tendency of Goa'uld colonies to be set up in places that resemble southern California. :p

Well, good thing you aren't trying to hide, since your environmental shield gives you that huge debuff to stealth.

Good choice not to add anything. Don't know if they're friendly or not, after all, and you're clearly not a 'neighbour.'

I bet the local Goa'uld took it as their icon.

Oh, boy. Paul, you probably just flared your shield. And around this galaxy, glowy thing usually mean trouble.

So, off to a great start with the locals. Hopefully they take you as an official of a Goa'uld lord, and treat you well. It doesn't look like there was any kind of rebellion, or they'd have been a lot more wary. Wonder when this is, though. Can we expect to be meeting an SG team sometime soon, then? And which team, I wonder...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  28. Ina_Meishou

Ina_Meishou Not too sore, are you?

Or Zoat could get wild and use the original Book spinoffs.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The only Goa'uld he would have to watch out for are Anubis and maybe Ra.

Everyone else is easily killable with a power ring.

30. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Well, more like Vancouver, but it's still West Coast, it counts. :p