1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No. The SI and Co. went there briefly and didn't encounter her.
    That's still in progress. Silver Age is around, just not doing anything with the SI at the moment.
    Look, if I have to deal with Rule 8, so does everyone else.
    Thing is, those aren't things that the SI would have anything to do with. Brazil has already ceased to be. The only issue that could involve him would be the intact countries in the area trying to stop their tribal people aligning with Accalacan, or otherwise sorting out their borders. And therapists are in short supply at the moment.

2. earlyriser

earlyriser Getting sticky.

One plot point I’m curious about is Savitar? There was that mission in Russia ages ago where he was hinted at and then nothing. Is there still a plan for him?

also would like to see more Light and Truggs shenanigans, like what they plan to do with the dial they stole, etc.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Hero Dial was already recovered. Paul got it when Silver Age Kara helped capture Truggs. Although Truggs escaped while they were dealing with Demon Supergirl, he wasn't able to get the Hero Dial back from Paul.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Yes.
    The Light are still around, but for the moment they're trying to make sure that human civilisation doesn't collapse on them.

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

How do they feel about the fact that the Justice League has accidentally taken over the world?

Prince Charon likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe they're jealous.

Though I can see Luthor trying to run a political campaign in the future in which he runs on a platform of "Taking back humanity's right to rule itself" so that he can take over and disband the League.

They already had one super-powered person rule them, so it's possible that some resentment towards other super-powered rulers could be created.

Yeah, the League did help the world, but people can have short memories and bigots aren't logical.

7. Mr Zoat

The Light doesn't actually want to kill the Justice League. Honestly, from their point of view the problem isn't that the Justice League has taken over, it's that people appear to be happy about that.

8. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

I feel like Savage would be happy since it normalizes a dictatorship of metas.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though he probably prefers if it was him at the head of said dictatorship.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Americans, how do you make instant coffee into a drinkable format? I ask because I'm given to understand that you can't use kettles in your country due to crap power supplies. Do you microwave the water?

Cuchulin, Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  11. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I use a kettle to make tea and heat it by putting in on the stove, so please stop perpetuating negative stereotypes, you're supposed to be a hero. My parents have a brewing machine at home, though they're a bit obsessive about it so IDK if that's normal. Usually it's coffee machines of one sort or another, my girlfriend uses a keurig.

12. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

You have coffee machines for instant coffee?

13. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Not sure if serious or not, but its a machine that runs hot water through a small coffee pod.
    [​IMG]
    This is essentially what my mother uses. Just fill it with water, put in a coffee pod and use it.
    My dad has an electronic kettle that he uses to heat water for his powdered canned coffee. It has its own stand alone base that plugs in, no stove required.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  14. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

He's immortal. He can eventually take that position over time.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Canadian Here, and a college grad in Electronics. We have the same power requirements as the Americans and I've had this talk a few times with a fellow electronics nerd from Italy that now lives in the US of A.

Long Version: Electric kettles work just fine here.
    They are just a touch slower then the same sized kettle across the pond because of that difference in electrical standards. Not agonizingly slow, and honestly just having a bit less water in the kettle when you start makes up the difference without really noticing.

Since it's just the way it is here, most folks in North America just don't know that there IS a difference until they visit some place out of country. I use an electric range and oven all the time, and aside from the hydro bill being worse then a gas bill this far north, there's not much difference to really note, as hot is hot and degrees are degrees. It might take a bit longer to warm up then you'd expect if you're used to it else where, but between the differences in just ovens and stoves you aren't used to I'm fairly sure the average person wouldn't even note the difference on first blush.

The electrical devices Made for the standards here work for the standards here. The real problem is when you try to build something that does both. A PC has a switching power supply that can generally be used with either, and it's regulated down to DC voltages any way, so it doesn't matter. Most reasonably complicated electronic devices that can run on either power type has a similar regulator.

Those simpler, cheaper items that don't have such features instead have to trade efficiency for adaptability, and electric kettles being 'big resistor gets warm' is one of the simplest and cheapest electronic devices on earth. There is no adjustment for what power comes it, it'll take what ever you put in because there is no logic or real calibration to it, just a big coil and a thermal cut off switch which is generally mechanical in nature. Since the makers design it to be safe to use in either set of standards, they over engineer the size of the coil so it's safe at the worst case, and ok at the best case. So you get a slightly slower, less power efficient design that saves the cost of having to make 2 different designs in the first place (aside from the change of the plug / socket).

16. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Fair point.

Prince Charon likes this.
  17. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Well, I'm not sure how many Americans do it this way as I'm a weirdo, but what I usually do is put something like a quarter to a third of a cup of water in the microwave for thirty seconds, then stir in a variable amount of instant coffee powder depending on how tired I am, and an amount of sweetener (often honey or maple syrup) to balance the taste of the coffee, and then add enough cold milk of some sort (usually almond) to both cool it off and get close to the top of the cup without spilling. If I'm really tired or can't use the microwave, I just stir the instant coffee powder into half a cup of cold water and choke it down once I think it's dissolved (or once I notice that I've been standing there stirring coffee and staring off into space for an unknown time period).

I think most Americans use some sort of coffee machine, like my mother does. They're all over the place here, including many hotel rooms.

Relatively few Americans can't tell the difference between metal and plastic, or fail to notice an electrical plug (if that's the meme I'm thinking it is), it's just that the ones who can't will tend get on the news or get memed on the internet, if not both. It's notable because it's unusual.

EDIT: For clarity, we do have tea kettles here. They are metal, and are heated the traditional way, by setting it on one of the burners of a stove. Sometimes a second-hand gas stove. That is most likely what tripped up the American who caused that particular meme.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    Cuchulin and Vaermina like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat, you forgot to add the date over the link for this chapter.

It still days 29th March instead of 30th.

19. Mr Zoat

I honestly hadn't realised that the stuff in the pods was the same as the stuff in the jars of instant coffee.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"discovers"

"feels"

"looking"

"slight"

21. Threadmarks: Unreal (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

30th March 2013
    00:58 GMT +2

Sharkteethserpentheaddodge!

I generate a shield as I lurch to the side, Kon and Mitchell evading in different directions as the giant thing lunges past us!

Kon looks at me. **What was that?**

The neck-. Ah, isn't there..? And the head that lunged for us appears to have faded away. Mitchell tries a blast of heat vision, and then recoils as he discovers why that's a bad idea underwater as his entire body is enveloped in steam.

**Went through my shield.** Which I dismiss. **Alan?**

**Giant snake head with no neck? Yeah, I've got one o'those, too. Goes right through the constructs.**

**Thana, what exactly did the Nazis-. West!**

I'm moving as Kon and Mitchell look westward, the snake head thing coming right at them again! Kon tries-. I tether Mitchell and pull him downwards out of its path as Kon glows with the light of Helios and swings at the swimming head with his right fist.

**Ah!**

His fist goes through, but from the way he jerks-. He's bleeding from small wounds all across his torso.

**-summon?**

**Conner!**

M'gann swims towards him with a shout, but he raises his right hand to warn her off.

**I didn't hit anything, but its teeth could still hurt me. Don’t touch it.**

**Thana?**

**They didn't-. I mean, everything. They just tried to summon up the shades of the dead. But I don't know what that is.**

**Can you tell how strong it is?**

**It feels-. Strong, but it shouldn't be strong enough to threaten someone as powerful as you.**

**How sure are-**

It comes at us again, this time from.. down-east. Mitchell, Kon and M'gann all evade but I decide to use a magic-draining construct shield. Link it to my tattoos, and see how you like that.

From the way that it's still coming at me I'd guess that it doesn't-.

**Paul! Behind-**

I don't hesitate when I hear M'gann's mental voice. I shoot upwards immediately as a second agh!

I'm not sure exactly-. Something sharp raked my left leg, and I'm bleeding from a nasty gash. Healing… Isn't working, which is… Probably due to the death magic rich environment. Shut down the veins manually by r-uh-h-hurrh-.

Yeah, death-. Death magic confirmed.

[Head incoming]

I evade downwards as the first head-. Or maybe a third? Swims at us from the south. I shift my shield into a sword and swing it at its face. It-. Doesn't evade, and-. It flickers as it hits the sword, the construct shattering without really slowing it down. I'm not-. Sure if that actually hurt it, or-.

**Thana!** Kon looks down towards the blue glow marking Alan's position. **This is where Herakles killed the hydra, right?**

**Close to here, yes.**

**You know what a hydra's head looks like?**

**N-no, I never-. Oh gods.**

Oh gods yes. So every head he cut off before Iolaus started burning the stumps could be a separate shade.

**Ah…** I get a mental image of Donna preparing her lasso. **When you said that it didn't feel all that strong, were you talking about each head individually, or all of them together?**

**I only saw one head, so I-. Alan!**

**I see them. No need to fear. I've been fighting monsters-. Ah, well, not as long as some people you know, but longer than most.**

**Princess Diana made no mention of this. Other shades-.**

**Could it eat them? The same way-.**

I feel [disquiet] from Donna. **The way Hades does Erebos. Not-. Consuming, but draining their power with them still inside it.**

Mitchell is looking around with some concern. **Inside them.**

I look around-. Eight of them this time.

**Eight up here.**

M'gann grows extra eyes all over her body and grabs Kon while Mitchell jerks his head around at super speed. I… Ah, scans don't show me anything-. Assemble the pictures from my eyes in the ring and calculate move!

The first passes underneath me, probably aiming at Mitchell but neatly cutting me off from a downwards retreat. The next comes from my left-. They can pass through each other. Then above and down-right-. Dghu, from behind but that's going to miss anyway-.

Wait, that one-.

**They eat spilled blood!**

The blood Kon spilled and the blood I spilled is no longer in the water. Ring scan stopped being able to detect it when the heads swam past. I-.

I roll as heads come in from left, right and front, with one passing just above me. Can't entirely evade, but if the teeth are where they look like they are-. Brr, moving through that one didn’t feel pleasant, but I didn't pick up a new wound.

I hear M'gann nervously laugh. **I wasn't trying to bleed, but I'll be extra careful now.**

**Alan, we need to go lower. If the gate still exists, I can force the shade back through.**

**I don't-. I don’t suppose you can just tell it to knock it off?**

Left-dodge. Left again. And-. A moment of space.

I turn and try to reach out for its desires but all I hear are echoes and a force running in a groove.

And I'm a little worried about my tattoos absorbing death magic like this.

**I'm trying that. It knows no authority!**

**I can't hear its thoughts.** M'gann looks around. **Should I be able to?**

**Probably not.**

**Okay, slight problem everybody. I'm trying to take Thana down but more heads just keep turning up. Can you distract them or something?**

**Yes. Everyone, move away from me.**

Kon frowns, ducking and weaving around the heads that have scented his wound. **We can-.**

**Spontaneously generate more blood for yourself? No. Move.**

I reopen my wound and increase my blood pressure.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  22. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Wonder what would happen if the jcirrent ustice league accepted Titan power ups.

Who would get what?

Aquaman gets Oceanus.

Superman gets the sky so Uranos or maybe sun so maybe Helios.

Wonder woman is already a zeus baby

Batman gets nyx as patron....

They'll be ruling the world so it maybe kinda fits.

Rebu, Cuchulin, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Uranus may be dead, or at least in no position to do anything.

Not in this story.

She's already a a Titan, or at least a demititan.

Aside from Mr. Atom, most of them probably want governments to be reestablished so that they can stop ruling things.

24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    There was a Justice League comic where an alien who believed himself to be a god went around destroying religious monuments in an attempt to get Earth's gods to show up and right him. When the League turned up and gave him a good fight, he offered to power them up and work with them.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'hesitate'.

I don't remember brackets being used like this before. Is this new, or an error?

This is gonna suck for Paul, but good on him for going for a sacrifice play. He won't die, but he'll probably be in great pain.

26. Impatient_Quill

Impatient_Quill Versed in the lewd.

Wonder Woman is Gaia's daughter, not Zeus's.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Wonder Woman is both and neither.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So something not entirely natural. Unless it's some ancient sea creature with plate-like dentition. And to be fair, around a place like this, a gateway into a realm of the dead, there's bound to be ghosts. Which might be even worse than a real creature.

...A serpent head with no neck? There's a few mythological candidates, though fortunately the Medusa Head is not one of them. :p Wrong universe.

Does the neck look burnt? No, wait... They burned the stump, not the severed head.

Probably one of the most useful attacks they have, given the association between Sunlight and purification of undeath. ;) Unless it's not a part of Helios' Blessing, but would he leave out something cool like that?

Oh, that's just cheating. You can't touch it, but its teeth can touch you?

Don't do it, girl! You have even less Defence than he does.

Good, sharing useful intel even while injured. Good to see he's still got a level head on his shoulders.

So this is something that came along after that incident. Though it happened something like seventy years ago, so that's plenty of time for someone to go fiddling about.

So more likely, it's an echo of something truly powerful. So much so that even the barest shade is a threat to a divinely-blessed Hero.

Doesn't even feel it, or doesn't like it? It'd be hard to tell, I think, without human emotional responses.

Dangit, damn double-team bosses. Always one hitting you in the back while you fight the other. :mad: And this one probably scales to the party you bring too.

Well, that limits the number of culprits. Either something underowrldly-related, or Dark Druid has been nosing about...

Ugh, anti-Construct protection. This just gets worse and worse. On the upside, he's getting a nice clear signal from M'gann.

Well, shit. The Second Labour, huh? Thankfully, there's no sign of the main body, and these are disembodied. So they're not going to spawn more if you somehow defeat one.

Yeah, I think it just registered just what OL meant by his question. And she probably has the best understanding of just how screwed they might be.

Wait, Donna has a Lasso too? When'd she get that? It's been a while since she appeared on-screen, after all... And more importantly, what does it do?

Not something like this, old man. Ghost hydra heads might just be a little more than even you can handle.

A metaphorical devouring? Eating their essence to empower themselves?

Well, at least you won't have to worry about an army of Shades... Just the giant untouchable dragon heads

Let's hope they're not multiplying exponentially. The next pass could have sixteen...

The question is, are they moving with coordination, or just at random individual vectors?

Oh, joy. And of course their attacks are like razor blades, so that their prey bleeds all the more.

At least you don't count as hit unless the teeth actually touch you. The joy of small hitboxes. :p

Risky, Thana. Going deeper means limiting your manoeuvrability in the depths.

If someone could have done that when it was living, they wouldn't have needed to kill it. I doubt it's going to be any more tractable now.

Too bad you couldn't have installed an off-switch or something. At best, you're stuck relying on protective charms against it.

If you could, I'd be even more worried. Given that said thoughts probably consist of 'hungry!', 'food!' and feed!'.

Oh, no, they are multiplying. Or at least drawing the attention of more.

Honestly, all of them must smell like delicacies to the ghosts, with all of their unique mystical signatures. Two spectrum-empowered humans, a human-krypotinian-genomorph hybrid, a near-full-blooded kryptonian and a Martian? Thana probably seems mundane by comparison.

Dump so much blood that they eat themselves into food comas? Cocky plan. :V

Well, looks like someone really doesn't want people coming near that gateway, if they left something like this as a guard dog. The question is, if they back off, will the hydra heads calm down, or will they pursue until the intruders are dead? It makes me wonder if there's a history of mysterious disappearances around here, and if so, when they began...

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

She got it after Paul was able to confirm her origin. It's called the Lasso of Persuasion. It can compel those who are captured by it to answer questions of its wielder truthfully so long as the user's willpower is stronger.

30. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Yet another random encounter that is inexplicably immune to all of the vast range of abilities that OL and his many allies can use.