1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well this Paul is the only other human with an extremely close relationship to a Cybertronian, so she may be curious if her son and Arcee pursue something similar.

It was built around a Cybertronian relic.

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The obvious answer is that he was and it was the only reason he lived as long as he did.

Deadring and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No.
    Thank you, corrected.

4. 012345

012345 Well worn.

And why would USA care about that Kid enought to Pay chinese for him?

And why would they put chinese Kid into Shockwave when they could instead put in somebody with more pro USA aliegance?

5. Wivk

Wivk Know what you're doing yet?

A child, a thief, a Chinese citizen, and someone poisoned by alien energy stuff? Is there a worse possible candidate this guy could suggest?

He should be looking for someone actually experienced with all the emotions and how to healthily handle them. Someone with strong morals and ethics to act as a better conscience. Preferably someone with his own country's ideals and loyalties rather than those of another country or culture. And does anyone even know how energon poisoning is going to effect the procedure? I can't believe he would even suggest this person, or that anyone would accept them.

And they had to PAY for him as well? Wtf?! We have tons of rich old or crippled people that would pay for the privilege of becoming an immortal God machine. Is it an actual requirement that they be near death? Tons of people that are at full health would still rather be alien robots than humans.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  6. Mr Zoat

They don't. But if all the Chinese want in return is something they know is useless, why not give it to them? They're more worried about proliferation.
    Anyone on the US side with that clearence would know a tonne of classified information they wouldn't want Shockwave to learn.
    A terminally ill Joint Chief.
    The list of terminally ill people is very long. The list of terminally ill people with that sort of security clearence and no knowledge that is classified is 0.

7. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

That was my first thought too.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Remember that Fowler isn't exactly the entire US government.

The guy may not have had that much say in who gets to bond to Shockwave, but was just ordered to oversee the bonding that his superiors chose.

9. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

I'm more curious how this kid got that level of security clearance...

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  10. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Seemed like a weird choice to me as well, but I'm willing to accept that there was a lot more going on behind the scenes than Fowler wanted to explain or maybe even knew about.

Zoat's revelation that they wanted to avoid giving Shockwave too much information weighs on one end, and I can vaguely see a big argument about who "deserves" it ending with Kyansa as a compromise candidate who everybody could feel sorry for and everyone could be assured wouldn't be advancing any agenda.

Will he be helpful to Shockwave? LOL, who cares, Shockwave is Cybertron's problem, and if the SI wanted a bunch of criteria about wisdom and emotional stability he should have stated that at the beginning.

oct9010, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  11. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Excellent point! Plus, a child is more likely to enjoy exploring space, as opposed to an adult’s desire to see Earth again. If Shockwave returns to earth, traditional decepticons are likely to follow- to hunt for whatever materials or device caught his eye.

Ardy likes this.
  12. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

also, we never cleared up where all the supergirls were coming from. We know where demon supergirl and future supergirl aka Diane dearden and maybe nazi supergirl (time trapper/krona causing the portals to open?) but not new Kara or why they all seemingly appeared on one earth over a relatively short period of time.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Only if they are stupid enough to think Human information security is enough to keep a Cybertronian out.

14. Ardy

it’s enough to keep out a mad scientist who is halfway across the galaxy and has no reason to come to earth unless they give him one.

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Shockwave is Shockwave, he has dozens of reasons to monitor what's going on on Earth, so absolutely would.

16. Ardy

Name two, and keep in mind his current state of mind.

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Unicron.

The various artifacts of the Primes.

18. Ardy

He doesn't know about the latter and wouldn't care if he did.

They're not on Earth and he wouldn't care if they were since they can't help him.

19. LZB1285

LZB1285 Getting sticky.

Someone should remind Shockwave to check Kyanas for booby-traps. The Americans might be trustworthy, the Chinese...

Shockwave has a lot of enemies willing to chance a deniable Op.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given your statement I have to ask... Have you actually watched Transformers Prime?

21. Ardy

Have you read that shockwave is going through an existential crisis and can't control himself?

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Okay then, so you didn't know that Earth was both Unicron and the location the Autobots used to secure pretty much every artifact under the sun.

23. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

That doesn't really jive with how ot works IRL. Greeks learn the hellenic myths in school at third grade. Being Orthodox is more about national identity than it is about piety and theological thought for most. And Hellenism is part of that identity. They don't actually believe in those myths (except for for a few oddballs and a few even bigger weirdos who manage to somehow believe in muddled parts of it while still calling themselves Orthodox Christians), but they are still damn proud of it.

That said, in a world where they clearly know that the Greek Gods are real, yet turned away from them for Christianity regardless and constantly have to compromise with the actual mythical creatures that are still around and have been preventing the government from controlling several of the Greek islands all of this might be very different.

24. Threadmarks: Transformational (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

5th February 2014
    20:14 GMT

Slipstream drums the fingertips of her right hand against the railing between us and the operating area. It's all… Pretty automatic at this point, though I admit that seeing Shockwave walking around with his head off was a little disconcerting. He's had to remove quite a lot of his torso plating while the machine works…

Kyansa… Well, he hasn't regained consciousness at any point. Given the amount of damage he'd received… I'm not sure if it was from the original explosion or from exploration by the Chinese scientists working on him, or some combination of the two. Whatever it was, Shockwave decided that replacing several organs with Nebulon-based cybernetics was the best avenue for treatment. And since transformers don't have a psychological aversion to seeing transformer internals and given that Cybertron is almost completely sterile, Shockwave had the chirurgical machine start cutting without any sort of coverage.

I'm not used to seeing humans internals like that.

"I… I need to ask you something."

I look up at her with a frown, trying to feel what she's thinking. She's definitely unsure and.. worried about something, but I can't quite work out what.

I reach over and pat her on the shin "You can ask me anything, Slipstream."

"When… Shockwave…" She looks down at me for a moment, then returns her attention to the operating theatre. "Offered to make you my Headmaster, you… You hated the idea. Did I..? Did I do something wrong?"

Oh, she did feel that. I was wondering… "No, of course not."

Her expression and the feedback I'm getting from our bond suggests that she isn't convinced. "I… We're bonded, and I-. I think of you as my conjunx endura, even if-. You don't have a spark case, so we can't-."

"I know." I nod. "I feel the same way. You-" I tap my spinal implant. "-know I do."

"Then why did-?" She steps away from the railing, facing me. "Why did the idea of becoming that close to me disgust you? I don't… Understand."

Right. Because that's something that transformers do. Merging… Hm.

"Slipstream, do you remember when you found out that humans shed hair and skin cells constantly?"

She recoils in disgust. "Why did you have to bring that up?"

"Because it's the nearest equivalent. Why is it that you find it disgusting?"

"Because it's… It's like you're… Falling apart the whole time."

"For humans it's perfectly normal. We discard damaged parts from our exterior and grow new ones from the inside. But for a transformer it's… Well, if they're empathic, it's disgusting, because you don't grow replacement parts like that. Right?"

"Y-es?"

"But what if you could? It would save on repairs and spare parts-."

"Ew! Are you.. going somewhere with this, or are you just trying to see if you can get me to do an emergency oral fuel evacuation?"

"Humans don't naturally plug into each other like that. For our ancestors, being locked in place like that would mean that they were helpless and doomed or a burden on their tribe. And the idea of effectively becoming one person… If I was going to do it with anyone it would be you, but-. Having parts of myself…"

I find myself glancing towards Kyansa's torso, skin and muscle pinned back for better access.

"Removed, or radically altered so my… Outline changes. Humans don't-" I shake my head. "-transform. That's… Not something I can accept. Psychologically."

Slipstream's face relaxes a little, but she's still clearly unhappy. "Oh. But-. Nothing?"

"Nothing..?"

"You can't… Change. You don't want to…" She shakes her head. "You're-. You-. Humans…"

"Slipstream?"

"You don't… Live.. long. Not.. anything like as long as we do." She crouches down, bringing her face closer to mine. "Even if Shockwave makes you a.. transformer body of your own, your body will wear out in-. Less than a vorn. I don't-. You're the only reason why I'm not still in stasis lock… The only reason why I don't just put myself back in stasis lock."

I nod, reaching out to put my hand on her cheek.

"I'm-. Yeah. I'm probably not going to live as long as you. My brain just isn't as sturdy as your brain module. I don't mind-. Nebulon synthetic organs. When I eventually need them. I'm not rejecting.. every change. Subtle changes are just easier to accept."

She nods. I think she's… Not better, but…

"Is there something else?"

She nods again. "Alright, since we're doing this now. You were surprised when I brought up forming a team. We talked about getting other transformers to come to Earth. I told you about my old team mates. Why were you surprised?"

"I'm not clear-. I got the impression that conjunx endura relationships were… One to one."

She nods. "Yes. At.. least… I think so."

I shake my head. "What do you mean by that?"

"Slaves don't get love. Slaves don't get told how it.. works. I've.. read stories, but I don't really… I haven't… Had anyone I've.. felt about how I feel about you. Before this, my relationships with my team mates were the.. closest thing."

"Are 'people we work with' the same as a 'team', or is it different?"

"A team is people we work with a lot. I don't think we'll be that close to.. whoever it is right from the start, but… We should get that close."

"Right. It's-. Some of the things I… I'd like to do once you get a human-scale avatar are the sorts of things I.. thought I'd only do with you, my conjunx endura, and not with team members. Because while they're both close, one is closer."

"Right! Human mating." She frowns. "Wait, you think that's weird? What about all those videos we watched?"

"Ah…" Yes… Those. "Slipstream, those were… Paid actresses portraying a fantasy to… Stimulate an audience. That's not something-. Well, alright, a few people do that, but it's pretty uncommon. You know what I said about using the internet as a guide-."

"Yes, I know, it's not always obvious what's real and what isn't. But you seemed to like watching them."

"Yes?"

"And transformers don't reproduce like that. So it doesn’t have the same significance for me. Maybe with humans you can only do that with your… What do humans call it?"

"Wife."

"Right, but I don't care. I enjoy it because we're linked and you enjoy it, but I don't have human breeding-instincts." She frowns, but I can feel that she's a lot less disturbed. "Why would you only have one 'wife' if you were human? It takes nine months for human women to fabricate new humans. I know you can perform bio-injections more than once every nine months."

"Resources. Humans focus resources on a small number of children. Our biology pretty much requires it. So while a human man can impregnate many human women, that effectively makes them all competitors for the resources he can provide. The more they can get, the better provisioned their offspring will be. And while the man's genetic material passes on through all of his children, the woman's is only passed on through the children she gives birth to. One-to-one generally works better."

"Huh." She thinks, then shakes her head. "None of that applies to me. I don't mean I.. want you to, but it's not a problem for me. Does that mean they don't need to be light frames with high pitched voices?"

"I think we should focus on skills and personality compatibility over that. Like you would for a normal team." She nods. "Feeling better?"

"A little. It's a bit… Intense."

"Where am I?" Slipstream and I blink at each other, then she picks me up and stands, looking into the chirurgical suite where Shockwave is.. standing up. "Why am I so high up?"

And then I see Shockwave's face, purple and silver and unnervingly expressive as he stares around at the laboratory.

"Where am I? Who are you?"

He-. I assume this is Kyansa, raises his hands and stares at them.

"This is crazy."

"Yes." Shockwave's voice comes from his chest. "I suspect that this is indeed what insanity feels like."

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'Nebulan'.

Hopefully this doesn't lead to Kyansa going mad with power, especially as he's attached to someone else who'd have different interests from his.

Duke Long, Xmaster3000, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Shockwave's problem isn't controlling his emotions. Shockwave's problem is his inability to feel emotion. Small children are very good at feeling emotion. Shockwave could easily spend a thousand years sitting at a workbench making superrust. Him being easily distracted is a good thing for the universe.
    Well, when it comes to transformers Jackson Darby has a higher clearance than most US senators and generals. A higher rating doesn't necessarily mean that the government wants you to know about something. If Jack got kidnapped for example, it wouldn't be the local police investigating. It would be the NSA.
    In universe, the Greek Orthodox Church had a bit of an episode the first time they found out about Wonder Woman and have been amping up the anti-pagan rhetoric. Pride in your history is one thing, but they've been quite emphatic about why Greece stopped doing certain things.

Duke Long, Cuchulin, kraryal and 6 others like this.
  27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I'd point out here it's actually not that hard to actually turn a human into a Transformer.

28. deccan2008

deccan2008 Getting out there.

I never understood how the relationship between head and body works for Headmasters.

Xmaster3000, Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  29. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I'm kind of vague on that as well, though it doesn't help that every writer who tries to go into it (all of the ones that I'm aware of are fanfic writers) has a different idea of how it works. The exception is Transtectors, since the only brain in that body is the organic one.

Cuchulin, Xmaster3000 and Lord Ernest like this.
  30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Not that a missing head is usually that big a concern to a cybertronian. They don't keep much of importance in it, after all, with all their critical systems tucked away in their torso. I expect Shockwave is using secondary limb-mounted optic sensors or remote cameras to handle moving about if needed.

Ick. Still, he'd have needed surgery anyway for the conversion to a Headmaster. And it's not even the first time a kid's gone under the knife that way in a 'Transformers' series.

After all, there's a fine line between the visuals of surgery and butchery.

Because of course Shockwave's lab isn't fitted with mini-bot- or human-friendly walkways. And I doubt Paul is interested in walking around on a benchtop.

The joy of being so intimately linked to someone else. The slightest slip of the mind can be misunderstood so easily.

Since in the fandom, spark-to-spark contact is often equated to sex between cybertronians... Just wait until she experiences the human version from the female side. :p

'Til All are One' is sometimes more literal than mere cultural co-habitation. Normally it just refers to sparks coming together within the Well of All Sparks, but I've read a fic or two where instead of Cybertron transforming to battle a revived Unicron, all the Transformers combine. :eek:

And this is probably why some 'bots dislike organics: They're just so... Unhygenic. :D

Which is a horrifying idea for cybertronians, after all. Their bodies don't regenerate. Edit: At least, not in the way our bodies do...

Not without some seriously abnormal circumstances, like Bumblebee in the Prime finale. (An injury that lasts all of two minutes so do enjoy. ;) ) Usually in the form of divine intervention.

I don't think Paul has that sort of fetish. And any kind of fluids you could provide would just make any illness worse. :V

Heh. The kid's going to be able to claim he got ripped open and lived. As for them combining, I suspect Paul would rather maintain his autonomy, given the inevitable bleedthrough involved.

Since, if I remember right, this one did start with an Orange Ring way back when, expending its charge to revive Slipstream and later modify himself... o_O ...Wonder if any Cybertronian artifacts could recharge it...

It's one of those fascinating differences between human and 'bot. The latter are all about change. A new frame can be like putting on new pants, albeit via transplant surgery.

A Vorn being 83 Earth years, for reference. Cybertronian timekeeping is weird. And oddly focused on multiples and factors of 83. Blame mythology gags.

There are ways around that, after all, though whether they exist in this universe is still up in the air.

Another tricky part of a bond like theirs. No hiding things easily.

Not impossible that there were multiple-connection partnerships. o_O If they were close enough, they might well even merge into one spark in multiple bodies. An origin for 'bots like Reflector, maybe?

Ha, it's even uncertain in-universe, eh? And given that one of the Thirteen primes was a Combiner... It's not impossible that his 'tribe' enjoyed such multi-part relationships.

And she's not kidding about slavery. The old Autobot High Council era was not kind. There's a good reason Megatron began his rebellion.

Not unless you're into polyamorous relationships. :p

Indeed! Why, some things posted on the Internet aren't true! :V

Ah, Humans. Always good at their fiction.

Unless you have a very relaxed or open relationship. But you'd better be really clear with your partner about it. One thing cybertronians get right: Communication is important.

Oh, that's a whole other kettle of fish that I doubt Paul wants to get into.

Or it should. Sadly, people can't always be rational about these things, or pick poorly, or make terrible parents... Really, it's amazing Humanity made it this far.

After all, if you can't get along with your team, it's going to be a tense relationship.

And presumably not speaking with the emotionless voice they're familiar with. Since that too was part of his modifications.

Handsome fellow. Though it's probably a matter of personal taste to get things customised. I always picture Knock Out as the cybertronian equivalent of a cosmetic surgeon pre-war.

And there's the original bot. No doubt he's configured things so that his mind controls their combined body.

So, it's done, and the first proper human Headmaster has been made. Along with a bit of surprisingly uncertainty and concerns from Slipstream and comforting from Paul. And some fascinating insights into cybertronian culture. Now, to see how Shockwave and Cancer handle their new situation... Hopefully the lad takes it well.

It can vary from continuity to continuity. Here's the Wiki page.

To sum up: In cases where the body has an existing personality, the original mind and the partner form a sort of hybrid persona of the two. This is how the American cartoon and comics handled it.
    Sometimes it's an improvement, such as two scientifically-minded partners (Brainstorm and Arcana, for example) becoming even smarter and more inventive. Others... If the pairing isn't good, they can conflict badly. Say, an intellectual paired with a thug (Highbrow and Gort.) They fall into arguing amongst themselves, and struggle to focus on a single objective without disagreement on how to handle it.

An alternative is the Japanese continuity's style, where all the personality is in the mini-bot head, and the 'Transtector' body is just a frame to interact with larger 'bots and serve as transport, often considered interchangable. Kyansa here is a counterpart of a human playing the mini-bot role in one of the Japanese series.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    Xmaster3000, BR549, Ardy and 5 others like this.