1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not to Wolverine levels like Bumblebee experienced that one time, but the pseudo-organic way they function in the Prime series does include the ability for the "biological" aspects of their internals to self-repair and maintain themselves. I interpret their external armor shell as being like a bird's feathers. Capable of being manipulated and maintained by the internal squishier protoform, but not fully "alive" the way their internals are.

It's one of the reasons they run so much of their critical stuff on energon instead of easier to find fuel sources.
    It allows it to maintain itself and not just wear out.

2. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

You are doing a really good job displaying how a relationship between a human and a Cybertronian is very complicated yet can still work.
    From some things that were said by Slipstream and Knockout I have to ask... Is Paul going to have an additional romantic partner alongside Slipstream?
    Also, if Paul gains a Cybertronian body what will he transform into and what will he look like?

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"becoming"

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I have no plans for him to do so. If anything like that happened, it would probably be in the far future when he was more machine than organic human.
    Some sort of heavy transport vehicle. He'd probably look like a Fall of Cybertron era Ultra Magnus recolour, but longer.
    Thank you, corrected.

5. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

I see. If anything were to happen. Who do you see bonding with him and Slipstream in such a manner?
    I see. What colors would be included? And speaking of Ultra Magnus, apart from when Paul told the Autobots about Shockwave, have they ever had any time to get to know each other and if so what are their impressions of one another?

6. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘An engineering’
    ‘compass is’
    ‘a robot’ or ‘robots’?
    ’glances’

7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I have no particular transformer in mind. I could see Axlegrease joining them on Earth, but she's not a transformer either. She's just scavenged lots of parts from them.
    Dull green, probably.
    Ultra Magnus was a bit puzzled by the whole idea, and then dismissed them as irrelevant.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

They do in pretty much every continuity including Prime.

9. Threadmarks: Unreal (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

30th March 2013
    01:10 GMT +2?

Zagreus loops his rope around the allegedly-immortal hydra head for a fifth time, and pulls it tight.

"Did that escape recently, or are there a lot of Greek missing person reports we can clear up?"

"It never left the lake, but it only gained the power to conjure its shade heads to its side recently." He ties off the rope and walks around to its front, looking it in the left eye. It tries to bite him, but the rope holds it tight. "I wonder if it's more intelligent than the beast we all assumed it to be."

"No."

"You're certain?"

"Power rings translate all languages. If it grunted with meaning, I'd hear words. I haven't even heard a single one. Even a cat or a dog can manage 'hungry' or 'mine'."

"Perhaps the most intelligent thing may sometimes be-" He looks pointedly at me. "-to say nothing."

"I'm honest enough to admit that I'm never going to believe that. Are the shade heads under control now?"

Zagreus lays both hands on the hydra head's snout and closes his eyes.

"Not… Yet…"

He draws back his right hand and slams his palm into its nose, making it jerk with discomfort.

"Now. Any I didn't reduce to ethereality with my arrows are there now."

"And the shades they ate to power themselves?"

"Weakened, but separated. They should…" He looks at the lake shore, as the foam… The translucent figure of a man weakly pulls himself out of the water, flopping onto the sandy beach. "Be able to pull themselves free, though it will be some time before they regain their full strength."

"Thank you."

"It is my duty. Or are you thanking me because you find it reassuring that in the fullness of time I will protect your shade with equal fervour."

"I'll quite understand if you hesitate a moment or two in my case. The portal?"

He walks over to the waterline and pulls the fallen shade up, patting him on the back. The shade's gaze is.. fairly vacant as a result of lacking animus, but there's a vague recognition as he staggers up away from the lake. Then Zagreus crouches down and puts his bare left hand in the water.

"Gone. It wouldn't have stayed open this long if the hydra wasn't using it. There were heads on this side too, hunting shades to fuel the link."

"Darn it." I shake my head. "Why did it take sixty years to find out?"

"Father's realm has a great many people in it, and he doesn't control every part of their lives. Not any more. And of course you brought him so many new subjects that he couldn't if he wanted to."

"And the greatest hunter in Erebos was running a safari in Africa."

"Yes. I was." He stands and turns back to me. "Perhaps the Greeks should have asked for an angel to guard the souls of their forebears, since clearly they don’t need us."

"Don't be childish, Zagreus. Your responsibilities don't just vanish because people stop nagging you to fulfil them. At the very least you should have gotten someone to cover for you."

I don't labour the point, but he's clearly uncomfortable. And irritated.

"Why are you here?"

"Why is Themyscira still outside of the world? We dealt with the Anti-Life. Its grip on Earth is dispelled. Heck, I thought it would be back once we dealt with the Aztecs."

"No. We brought in the Amazons to cut off the reinforcements. The Aztecs were not the only pantheon… Afflicted."

"Olympians were Anti-Lifed?" He hesitates, but nods. "Who? How? You.. should be harder to affect than humans."

He nods, then looks around the lake. A handful more shades are crawling to safety, but there are almost certainly many more still inside.

"Charon, please aid our guests in leaving the water."

Charon -who had edged slightly away- nods. "And what about the hydra shades?"

"Orange Lantern can deal with those once he's recharged himself."

"But of course." I reach out my right hand… Nothing. No personal lantern. "But that might be a while."

Zagreus looks curious. "Are you helpless?"

I wave my right hand, releasing Gary and a couple of construct lantern aliens. I gesture, and they spread out to watch our surroundings. "Not completely, but you shouldn't expect too much. So who got Anti-Lifed?"

"Akhlys was the first." Oh heck. "Much like the Aztecs, not all of us are as far from the Anti-Life as we might like."

"But… Hephaestaean fixed her suffering. She looked good last time I saw her."

"She kept that machinery." He shakes his head. "I don't know exactly what happened. I can only imagine that no longer suffering herself didn't change how she thought."

"And she's still at full power? What's that… Like?"

"A terrible dread grips your heart, as your body feels every injury you have ever received and your mind feels every shame and sadness you have ever known. We now know what it is like to be her at her worst." He shakes his head. "I.. admit that I… Thought unkind things about what a 'more powerful' Akhlys would be like. Having seen the truth I will not make that mistake again."

"Where is she now?"

"Near to Olympus when last I saw her. But I have not tracked her."

"And that's it? We deal with her, and Themyscira returns to Earth."

"Yes."

Hm. How can I get an edge?

I look out across the water as Charon rows out towards a struggling shade.

Ah.

"Do you need those shade heads?"

"Need? Why?"

I smile.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'the'.

The hellwraith was permanently destroyed by Demon Nabu. The only construct-lanterns left are Morrow, a Saremite, a few Reach thralls, Demon Nabu, Gary of the Rot, and a Karrakanian Shipmaster. I assume Morrow was left somewhere else, but Paul should still have the rest with him.

Good to see Paul's going to get a few new useful construct-lanterns out of this adventure.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

A good question, OL. I suppose it depends on how well-travelled the lake was recently. Though if ghostly hydra heads were lurking around before the Anti-Life, it might well have gotten a reputation for being dangerous for boating.

It doesn't have to be intelligent to be crafty. Or vicious...

Is it reliable around high-magic creatures, though? Did you ever test that?

As the song goes: "You say it best, when you say nothing at all..."

Ah, exerting a lesser part of his abilities, to wrangle beasts he's captured?

The only way that could have been more amusing was if he pulled out a rolled-up newspaper to do that. :p

Ah, there's one now. So, good end all round. But what of OL's companions?

Greasing the wheel a little with flattery never hurts.

I suppose with his father indisposed, he's been having to take a little more commanding role in the Underworld's operations.

Remember the epithet 'He who has many guests'? Yes, turns out having the largest kingdom of the three brothers has its drawbacks.

In other words, Zaggy, he isn't alone in his neglect, accidental or otherwise.

That'd be an awkward position. Who could he even ask to do that job?

Well, he technically-maybe died, didn't he? Or did he come through the portal before it shut, at the cost of his ring charge?

Ah, good (or maybe bad) to have that confirmed. :confused: I wonder how many other forgotten or abandoned realms were lost before Mannheim went down...

Harder, but not impossible. After all, what are the Olympians but humans writ large, their virtues and their vices, their faults and flaws and failings alongside their talents, triumphs and 'truths'.

Since, you know, it's easier if there's no risk of being eaten...

Seriously, what ate all that charge? The Hydra shades?

In a pinch, he could maybe forcibly consume them for the ring charge to make a fresh Lantern. But that would mean sacrificing an asset.

Yeah, that scans. It probably aligned so well with her spiritual domains it went right in and stuck. :oops:

Oh, boy. A goddess who's kind-of mainlining all the compatible aspects of the Anti-Life. Just when you think you're rid of it entirely...

Yes, well... Can't really know someone until you walk a mile in their shoes...

Too dangerous a prey for the great hunter?

You hope, anyway? I mean, nothing's all that certain, is it?

...Oh, this is going to look like a terrible plan, isn't it?

Not sure they can safely be weaponised, OL...

...Unless you're going to tie them to a stick or something as a nasty flail. :p

It figures something would get stuck in Anti-Lifed mode, even after the White Light Event. So in pulling Olympus away from Earth, Hephestean messed up their ability to reconnect. Then again, with the Olympian realms separated, the Light probably never shone here. Who knows what it would have done to the Shades of Erebus, for one thing?

Looks like something got mangled by the dash break. Perhaps 'Sometimes know - to'?
    "I'm honest enough to admit that I'm never going to believe that.
    Much like the Aztecs, not all of us are as far from the Anti-Life as we might like."
    I look out across the water as Charon rows out towards a struggling shade.

12. Firewillreign

Firewillreign Know what you're doing yet?

Hades would have been crazy pissed if it reincarnated everyone in his realm which is something it absolutely easily could have done.

Ardy, Relyt33 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  13. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

The continuity preservation council has spoken!

14. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Mr. Zoat needs an RPG character sheet at this point, too many things have happened, too many techniques and too many pieces of equipment.

And not only for the Illustres, also for other characters as well.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless its mystic nature prevents a translation.

"may be"

"the Greeks"

Heph may have given her the tech necessary to manage it, but she was still generating it.

16. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

honest

moralrelativity likes this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That extra 'r' should be removed.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch and Ngamer11 like this.
  20. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Could have sworn demon Nabu was destroyed at some point too ..

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  21. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

Was still around for the fight with post anti-life revenge fury. No mini lanterns died there. Just temporarily turned against protag before back in hand.

22. Threadmarks: Unreal (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

30th March 2013
    01:15 GMT +2?

"That is… Disturbing."

With no ability to use my rings, I can't assimilate things directly. My construct lanterns on the other hand can assimilate things just fine on their own, but since I can't boost them, they're stuck using either their mouths, or in Gary's case even slower fungal growths.

And the hydra heads are quite large.

"If you could do something about the death magic I've absorbed, I could do it quicker. I could probably even manage to convert the immortal head."

"Some part of me wants to try, but in all honesty my knowledge is not up to the task of manipulating the soul of one who is both living and dead at once."

"Could Lord Hades?"

"Perhaps, but given that he has forgotten that he ever married my mother, it would be difficult for me to get an audience."

I frown, surprised. "Wait, he's forgotten you?"

"Not precisely. He knows that we are related, but he grows puzzled when he cannot remember who my mother is. And since he is not inclined to behave like... Like my uncle Zeus, that leaves a rather puzzling question as to where I come from. He appears to resolve it by forgetting about me whenever possible."

"Oh. Ah, sorry."

"If you had done it while I was in Africa it would not have been a problem, but I am supposed to be acting as a judge."

"How is their relationship actually progressing?"

"Initially, it went well. Then this.. Anti-Life infected the susceptible and we were forced to block our links to the Earth. She has been feeling confined and she is ignoring Father as a 'punishment' for confining her."

"Ah. Well." A giant reptilian severed head construct appears next to me. "Sorry. We'll have to try and get this sorted out-"

The immortal head goes berserk! It rocks back and forth, undulating what little neck it has left in an effort to move towards… Me? Zagreus? The rope strains, the-.

Zagreus puts an arrow through each of its eyes. That doesn't stop it squirming, but it does reduce its coherence.

"-quickly. Are we..? Just dealing with Akhlys?"

Who was enhanced by divine cybermancy, can bestow all of the misery human life can bring with a touch and is now channelling the Anti-Life. 'Just' Akhlys is still a pretty big deal-.

"Alas-."

"Wait. I just realised something." He keeps watching the immortal hydra head, as the blood drips back into its wounds and the eyes reknit themselves. "What we did to purge the world of the Anti-Life should have propagated throughout the Earth's entire thaumosphere. Akhlys is connected to that; she's a goddess, she has to be. Why is she still-?"

She's got an connection independent of Mannheim. She's channelling it directly. And that… I don't have a potential Red Lantern even if I wanted to try purging her with the white light of life, and I can't bring other Lanterns here anyway. Dr. Mist might be able to get here on his own-.

"I assume it's because her misery is so great that she does not need anyone else to show it to her."

"The titans?"

He nods. "One of her objectives. She appears to pursue them haphazardly. And Diana's.. nature, makes her able to counter her misery-inducing ability."

My eyes lock onto him. "Please tell me that Diana hasn't undergone apotheosis."

He frowns. "That worries you?"

"It-. I know that she'll become a goddess eventually, I just don’t want it to have happened already."

"No. King Hephaestaean has granted her the mantle of a goddess, but he has done so in the form of an artefact which she can remove."

"Good. Returning to the subject of Akhlys, do you still have access to the gate to the Dream?"

"Another of her targets, but yes. She nearly breached it once, and the land on the far side was… Rendered unclean." He braces himself. "Why did you ask?"

"I need to lose this death aura thing to make my rings work again. And we need to do something to Akhlys to break her connection to the Anti-Life. The easiest way to do that involves manipulating the Dream."

"That's the easiest-?"

"Unless you've got another copy of the Sword of the Fallen, yes."

Or…

"How…? Insensible is she?"

"She has always sounded coherent to me. I would say more so than when she was suffering the full force of her own domain. Why does that matter?"

"I thought I could try talking her down."

"Great Nyx, preserve us."

"Does that mean 'good idea' or-?"

"How? How would you talk down a goddess who has the opportunity to spread her essence to all people of the heavens and the Earth?"

"I thought that I'd ask her politely, find out through discussion why she was acting the way she is and try and get her to see that whatever her ultimate objective-."

"I was honestly hoping that you would seduce her as you did my sister."

Huh? I mean, it's nice to know that despite everything he holds me in high enough regard that the idea of my seducing Melinoë hasn't resulted in us having a fight. Particularly now. But…

"I haven't seduced Melinoë. Last time I saw her I nearly got her killed."

"She talks about you as a person. You have brought her domain to the masses, who for some reason are grateful-."

"They were pretty unusual people anyway."

"And she speaks of you as a maiden interested in courting a man speaks of one who has her interest."

"Actually, I should probably try and speak to her while I'm here. But I'm not trying to seduce her-. Or rather, I haven't been since she turned me down the first time we met. And I won't try and seduce Akhlys either."

"Why not? If it ends the living nightmare she has bound her slaves in, your fidelity is a small price to pay."

"Objectively yes, but I'm an Orange Lantern and I don't want to betray Jade. So where do we look for her?"

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Extra 'r' should be removed.

That should say 'so'.

I was wondering when someone would accuse OL of seducing someone. How many people have a bet on when Paul learns about something like this?

Duke Long, DAT_NOOB, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  24. Kiden

Kiden Getting out there.

Missing an 'o' here, I believe.
    Edit: Ninja'd

25. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Huh. Forget they can due that. You'd think he'd send them out to help assimilate things when he cant focus entirely on it.

Shouldn't the ring be going "Unnamed hydra shade. You belong to the Orange Lantern Corps" or "Identity theft complete" everytime he adds a new head to his construct-corps? Like when Onik was assimilating the crew?

Duke Long, Ardy, Lord Ernest and 3 others like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You did wipe the last few thousand years of his memories.

Why did you assume that he'd remember him?

Well that's a security risk if I ever heard one.

Imagine someone wandering into Olympus claiming to be a child of Zeus.

Even if they don't recognize them, they'll still probably believe them.

Hmm, either it's being regularly upset over being confined, or it's more since she's a nature goddess and lacks a connection to the Earth.

Even if the White Light worked, people would still be depressed.

Especially a goddess of depression.

Bringing in someone that may have Anti-Life in them into a realm connected to every mind in the universe sounds like a great idea.

I'm being sarcastic.

Paul has different standards.

Last time Paul talked to someone in a troubled mental state resulted in a giant fear entity invading a planet.

He may just trust his sister to be ae to take care of herself.

Or he thinks that if his sister is stupid enough to try and start something with Paul then she deserves whatever happens to her.

"slaves in"

Duke Long, Ardy, Silveraith and 4 others like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The ring isn't acknowledging him as being alive right now.
    Yeah, but that was true anyway.
    Thank you, corrected.

28. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Given that Paul is no longer detectable on Earth, I wonder if anyone (Luthor? Aliens?) will make a move.

moralrelativity likes this.
  29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the joy of being a minion master. Not all minions are equal, and in most cases, they're a lot less effective than other skillsets. The only real benefit of that sort of build is numbers and ideally the removal of aggro against the master. ...But it can feel so damn nice when you watch a horde of little critters you command engulf a bad guy and bring them down. :D

True. One mistake and they might get locked into the state they'd rather not be part of.

Some sort of mental cascade failure concerning their children? A blind spot in his world-view? Or just being damn creeped out? :p

Ah, wilful dismissiveness. :rolleyes: The best way of not having to think about something.

And yet because of this, he can't determine any kind of behavioural change up close and personal. Looks like it's working out well. And my sarcasm seems to be getting a solid workout. :D

Which probably doesn't make his mood any better.

Right, because second-tier Construct Lanterns evidently need a firmer hand upon conversion.

OL, might want to sort out the giant monster head you just picked up.

Let me guess, she's got followers. Shades or mortals?

ideally, just breaking the contaminated device should do it. But that'll put her back in her previous suffering state...

Since so many of the Olympians are tied to them sympathetically, that would be bad.

Didn't you want that, to increase her power?

So you're upset you may have missed the big moment?

Let em guess, Diana's sporting a new tiara, or a fine cloak? She does look good in capes.

Oh, Dream is gonna be testy about that. If OL goes that route, he'd better have some worthy compensation close at hand.

For Akhlys, at least. I don't think it'd work quite so well for OL. It might react poorly with his non-standard soul structure.

On a scale between 'Monologuing cartoon supervillain and raving psychotic frenzy'? If that helps.

Somehow, I don't think OL's diplomacy skill is quite that high.

Praying to your great-grandmother is generally not a good sign, no.

And then for your next trick, you'll carry a snowball through the hottest part of Hell without losing a single drop of water from it? ;)

True, he does seem the kind of big brother to do the 'If you ever hurt her, you will not enjoy the rest of your very short life.' routine

How much of that was intentional, I have to wonder. You know, outside of the exposure-based psychotherapy treatments.

Okay, that's a pretty clear signal. Not quite tearing her clothes off and dragging him into her bedchambers...

And Zagreus quietly facepalms when OL turns away, at the sheer bloodyminded stupidity of modern Heroes. :p

So, once more into the Dreaming, then? Though hopefully a little chat with Akhlys might fix it, I have my doubts. Such is the nature of OL's life that any situation he's involved in inevitably gets more and more complicated. And honestly, I suspect some of his erstwhile allies are getting sick of it. I'm honestly amazed more haven't gone 'Don't ever talk to me again.'

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul isn't exactly the only line of defense Earth has.

There are literally hundreds of others.