1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Wivk
    I'm no expert on the whole thing evolution of mythology and linguistics for the biblical stuff but I can sort of parse the basics.

You start off with Proto-Indo-European languages and mythologies which cover the birth of human civilization. If you ever wonder why so many different mythologies share parallels and even names (even if you have to play linguistic Telephone for a few millennia to parse them) its because the stories they evolved from date back to this point in history and geography.

Fast forwards a bit and you have ancient Babylon and the surrounding cultures develop and whole region shares a bunch of variations of Gods, generally attached to locations in the region, and their placement within the cultures varies by local belief.

(Zoroastrianism is also a thing going on, as is the very very early days of Buddhism, which are impacted somewhat as they're still developing in arms reach of each other)

We get the precursors to the monotheist faiths, which I THINK falls under the 'Levant' and 'Canaanite' religions you'll see mentioned in the Old Testament. It's a Full Pantheon of gods from the region with 'El' at the top, and a lot of children of El making up the rest of the faith. At this time you'll see not just 'El' which is their Skyfather deity, 'Asherah' as El's wife, but you also get 'Yahweh' as a separate deity.

Much like the evolution you see in the worship in Egypt around the same times, different gods were popular in different places at different times, and often were characterization shifts between all those. Some gods stories, roles and names get shuffled around, and popular ones absorb a lot of the lore from other ones.

This is where you get to the early Semitic Faiths, with start to focus worship on a singular God, First as King of the Gods, and then as the Only God over time. El goes from being their 'head god' to "god with a Capital G' and absorbs the name 'Yahweh' around this point, which we see carry over into early Judaism, and thus into the Old Testament and from there into Islam as well for the Abrahamic Faiths.

But since everyone else in the region has their own faiths in the region, and names are shared between a lot of them, there's still a fair amount of cross talk in the faith at the time, and they did both trade and war with each other as cultures, tribes and / or nations.

Things for the proto Abrahamic Faiths start to get properly nailed down and codified, at least as we understand it, with the creation of the Tribes of Israeli, as those theological works and historical documentation show them separating from, but interacting with each other and outsiders at that time.

You get interactions with Babylon and Egypt as well as the Canaanites and other groups, and you eventually get the Moses story side of things, which we don't have direct historical evidence, but is about where you can at least nail down a rough time frame to follow Biblical stories forwards with historical events.

Wivk, Xelloss and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

If you know French, Thomas Römer did a talk about the origins of YHWH : https://www.college-de-france.fr/fr...s-ses-cultes-sa-transformation-en-dieu-unique

I don't remember if he talks about YHWH's wife in it, but he does talk about the other gods from before the monotheism.
    In short, from archeological sources we can reconstruct textes from before their rewrite, like Deuteronom 32,8.
    In the modern form we have something like (quick and dirty translation from French mine) "When the Most High gave their inheritance to the nations, he divided the lands according to the number of sons of Israel. Indeed, YHWH's due is his people and Jacob the part that is due to him", whereas the reconstructed text is like : "When Elyon gave the nations as inheritance, and divided the people, he set their lands according to the number of the sons of El. And YHWH's due was his people, and Jacob his given share"
    It appears here that YHWH is one of El's sons, and that there are others that are worshipped in other lands. Later on, it was rewritten to make sense with only YHWH (and then YHWH was replaced by "Lord" in the Greek translation because you don't need a given name if there aren't anyone else to differentiate yourself with).

Römer explains it better, I really recommend checking his talks.

3. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘is bountiful’
    Missing speech mark.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Just as long as they don't pull a Roger Smith.

Unless they prefer cold and snow, which some may.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Didn't he? Does anyone else remember him getting one?
    Thank you, corrected.
    As many as the story needs.
    No. Gary assimilated it, and the SI's ring thinks that he's dead. I'll make that explicit.
    Thank you, corrected.

6. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

Orange light is probably the best choice for creating an animated fleshlight construct.

7. Wivk

Wivk Know what you're doing yet?

Some very well read people in here, thanks for telling me that rough outline of the idea so I didn't have to study for years just to get the gist of it and big thanks for a source to go deeper into it as well. No need to derail the whole thread forever, and Def no need to argue over it, this was enough to get me pointed in the right direction to learn more.

Istaran likes this.
  8. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I clickec the link but I am unfamiliar with the series and the specific reference.

9. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

I do miss both the praxis demon and the cat. I think they were both actually happier as constructs.

Lord Ernest likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Someone launches a temporal attack on the law enforcement organisation he's working for, killing people by killing their ancestors. Various things happen, and the man doing the attacking helps Napoleon invade England. Becasue he knows that other time travellers are coming for him, he gives the French simple radiation detectors to use at checkpoints, knowing that will pick them up.

Cuchulin, Doccer, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.
  11. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Totally agree, especially Teekl. When we lost that cat the story lost part of its soul; it didn't matter that it was a half-monstrous, murderous, psychopathic cat, all cats are generally like that anyway, it still was something of a morality pet for the Illustres and honestly the most effective Construct Lantern by far.

The Praexis Demons were really useful as well, not only could they eat almost anything, which was effective in almost all situations, they multiplied by themselves without having to Assimilate more people!

12. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

He did, though they had simplified thought processes they were indeed reach members (see the Writ-Wrangler comment from the Reach negotiator earlier in the chapter)

Prince Charon and Duke Long like this.
  13. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Is that solid evidence? Seems like it could easily be a generic insult in their culture.

14. Mr Zoat

Ah, no. The person in charge of the operation was a Reachian, the people on the ship were brainwashed serfs.

15. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ah, then no, never converted any reachians.

Duke Long likes this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Darn it. Okay, I'll fix that.

17. Threadmarks: Unreal (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

30th March 2013
    01:36 GMT +2?

I flop back and kick, striking it-. Her? Clumsily in the chest. I don't push her back so much as push myself back, sliding off the hydra's head and onto its neck stump.

"Rah-ah-ah!"

The lion-woman swings her right claw at my flailing legs as I try and get up, but there isn't really anything to grip onto and I can't give the hydra head instructions without Gary-.

"Gary!"

The claw catches my leg armour and pulls me towards her without really penetrating, causing her to try grabbing me with her left claw. I fend her off with a kick to her face, but it's more an irritation than a serious strike.

Where did-? Damn it, lost the cold gun. I draw an x-ionised knife from my harness and swing it in her general direction in a warding gesture while trying to wrench my leg back out of her grip. No! Closer!

Her left claw slashes at my right forearm and I bring the knife back, getting a scratch along my vambrace in exchange for nicking her fur.

"Who are you?"

Not likely to get through to someone Anti-Lifed, but I should try.

"Rah-ah-ah!"

She leans down to bite at me, and I slash-. She grabs my right arm and drops-. Fuck! Ah, I get my left arm up and push her neck away with my forearm and her teeth chomp down an inch from my face and I still can't get-.

Roll!

"Gary!"

She's lighter than me and I manage to roll us left, but she's strong and she's slashing at me with four sets of claws while still trying to bite me! She snaps her teeth together-

Headbutt to the snout!

-as I stab my knife through her abdomen-.

She's a shade, she doesn't have blood!

Elbows, knees, hit her!

"Master."

She and I flail at each other for a moment as Gary plants himself on my back and lifts, getting me upright-

"Let go!"

-as the lioness scrambles to her own feet and lunges, mouth open again! Punch with left hitting side of jaw, raise arm to block slash from claws, swing knife at throat-.

AGH!

She slashed my gauntlet! Lost the knife and-. Armour's still whole, just-. Hurt.

Wait-. Lioness, Greek heroine-.

"Atalanta!"

She hesitates, and I punch her in the throat while drawing my revolver. That drives her back a little and gives me space to shoot her in the chest-.

BANG!

Ah! One handed shooting without power assistance! Other hand on the gun while she's reeling, fire again.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

"What is it making you feel!?"

She recovers, shaking her head as she tries to shield her bullet wounds with her arms.

"Bbbeast."

"Hephaestaean can probably fix that. Or at least modify it. And a lot of m-. People like that look."

Granted, with a mouth like that she's firmly into the cat-end of the spectrum, but I've seen the internet-.

She glares at me. "Bbbeast!"

Okay, so it's more of an internal thing. "It's still fixable-."

"HKKKRRRR!"

She drops to a couch, stabbing-. Stabbing the hydra head through the right eye with her claws.

The construct evaporates, strands of orange light flowing back into my r-ring.

Simple, reptilian thoughts inside my head, sunlight good, wait for prey, hunt for prey and then cold, cold, nothing-.

AHH!

"Sorry, Master."

There's an arrow in my hand! It punches through my palm-! We're low enough that she could just grab her bow from where she landed-.

"Drop me, tackle-"

He lets me go.

"-her!"

Gary dives at her, spraying orange spores in her direction. I land with a thud, stagger and then check the arrow. Not barbed and doesn't look poisoned. Hand close to the ground, boot on the fletching end and stamp-.

Arrrrrrrrr

Snapped off near the hand, pull it out. Don't have a healing ray anymore but I do have a small vial of healing potion. Half on the wound and half down my throat. It's healing, and I kept my revolver. Good. Gun up, listen to where the noises are coming from and hope that Gary doesn't end up back in my ring. Can't see Bellerophon or Pegasus or Zagreus and I don't want to shout. Equipment that will keep Atalanta down? I've got extra-resilient handcuffs. They'll have to do unless Zagreus can command the local undead.

Move. Eyes on the targ-.

Eyes everywhere tiny spores granting awareness to the greater whole-.

She got Gary and the spore cloud is vanishing. I should still-.

"Pavlos!"

Atalanta is kneeling, leaking dull grey fluid from her wounds as Akhlys strokes her head. Her cybernetics now sport the signature tronlines of New God technology, and her eyes-.

She's stroking Atalanta with her misery-inducing hand. The grey not-blood is leaking from Atalanta's eyes as well as her wounds.

"Are you here to stop me? To hurt me?"

This… Pistol isn't going to do anything to her. I lower it slowly.

"I want to try and free you from the Anti-Life. We did that to the Earth-."

"Foolish youth. Everyone feels sorrow. It's a natural part of life. Here." She lifts her hand off Atalanta and starts walking towards me. "Let me show you."

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Now I'm wondering if this will somehow lead to Paul taking control of Akhlys and her domain.

19. 0zymandias

0zymandias Making the rounds.

Nope that's way too much growth for one episode. We're on the ultra slow burn to Paragon becoming the New God of Avarice or something within that domain.

Cuchulin, Ardy, PJCG and 7 others like this.
  20. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Shouldn’t this last chapter have given him hydra memories, or is the ‘Agh!’ the memory? Just doesn’t seem consistent with this chapter.
    ‘than a’
    ’her wounds’

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Roaring like a motherfucker. But 'Her'? Is this thing humanoid? Has Ahklys been poaching from other pantheons? Is that you, Sekhmet? Or has she been making some modifications? Let's read on and see!

Welp, if you weren't already in trouble yet, you definitely are now.

Definitely physically enhanced, if multiple kicks aren't shifting her.

Yes, that's a question we'd all like answered.

Nope, she's deep in the black and red.

Since she's probably strong enough to pierce his vambrace with her fangs, if not break his bones.

Hind legs, then. Classic D&D style pounce attack. Hooks you with the front claws, rakes with the back. Nasty combo. A little more awkward with long humanoid legs, but no less vicious.

Sadly, not that effective, if she's local to Elysium.

Hell, she could probably stick any bits you cut off back on. But that probably explains the looks. A spirit is more vulnerable to modification than flesh is.

Lifting him and flying off won't help if she's still attached.

Ah, they've hit the ground, more or less. Or they're fighting on the top of the Hydra's head, since it's probably quite large.

Be glad you still have that arm. If she'd hit the elbow...

Kind of easy to narrow down, there aren't a lot of significant females in Hellenic myths. :oops: Especially ones from Athens.

After all, even if you're a ghost, you're still going to think like a person, and getting punched in the throat is not pleasant.

:oops: Recoil is a motherfucker, especially in high-caliber rounds.That wrist is gonna be hurting, if nor broken...

Probably having a little trouble even working out what hit her, if she hasn't been keeping up with weapons technology.

That depends on her placement on the human-furry spectrum...

;) Hey, some people still would. Even if she bites. Especially if she bites, in some loonies' cases.

Well, she was raised by bears. :confused: Didn't know about the 'turning into lions' bit before, though.

Welp. There goes his ride, for now. Doubt he's going to have an easy time getting that back until the lady has settled down.

I'm guessing that was the primary head.

Lucky it was through the hand. There's a nerve in the forearm that, well... From what I understand, Crucifixion used it to cause all the pain, enough that it was banned from use on Roman citizens.

...Well, you did say to let you go.

Yeah, you don't pull an arrow back through the wound it dealt. You break the shaft near the fletching and push it the rest of the way, and be ready to stem any bleeding. o_O Or better yet, don't pull it out unless you absolutely have to, since it's plugging the hole.

Said undead are likely weaker than her anyway, so unless they pile on en masse...

Well, shit. You're on your own, OL.

Oh, now what...

:eek: Oh, that is so far into 'not good' territory that you can barely see the middle from where you are.

Yeah, trying would just be embarrassing.

...And watch him shrug it off because of Enlightenment. Not completely, but he'll rationalise it away.

Well, at least there's no time wasted in finding her. A pity you're the one at her mercy. And I'm thinking she's not feeling very merciful right now. Let's hope OL's resistance to Anti-Life lets him tank the psychological damage she's about to hit him with, and work out some way to talk her down, or this is going to be a very awkward episode. ;) At least he's got a short trip for judgement if he dies.

22. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

well she not exactly wrong, it is perfectly normal to feel sorrow, no need to rationalize jack all

if Paul say no then he not being normal which is kinda like the usual friday at this point

Ardy, PJCG and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  23. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Random question how is Canis Minor doing now that he knows Darkseid isn't training him like he thought?

24. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Hey, didn't Paul assimilate a shipmaster New Ascendant (or whatever they were called)? How strong is that guy as a construct lantern? Still have any metaphysical power that could help out?

Why is Gary getting sent back into the ring a big deal? Didn't he summon Gary and the thralls despite the ring not working:

Ardy likes this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Every second they're in the ring is a second where they aren't protecting Paul, which is important in combat, especially when he's unable to use his ring to defend himself.

26. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Were there any lingering effects when OL first visited Erebos and encountered Ahklys?

27. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Her.

28. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Ooh. Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Ngamer11 likes this.
  29. Mr Zoat

The 'agh' is the SI getting hit with the thoughts and memories. It wasn't as much of a problem because the construct wasn't thinking about much other than doing what it was told, and the SI wasn't thinking about something else.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Reminded me of the webcomic Least I Could Do, where the main character mentioned that he once had sex with a Disney princess.

It was Nala.
    He's not sure if he only believed that because he wasn't ready for the Anti-Life, or if was true. Barda's keeping an eye on him, having gone through the same thing herself.

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's good to know that Barda is at least safe. Hopefully she can help Canis through this difficult time so that he will truly be with Earth and against Apokolips the next time Apokoliptian forces invade.