1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Does the superhero Bueno Excellente exist in this universe?

0zymandias and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Imagine viewing a society of violent psychopaths as soft.

And trying to kill someone is considered a compliment.

I don't think we've ever seen an Old God use godspeech.

I remember Hera once used something similar when she influenced Paul to talk about his romantic life, but it wasn't speech and small hearts just showed up.

3. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

About time he got back to being impressive.

Really want and hope this whole thing gets resolved with nothing more than Alan bopping her gently on the head with a kind admonishment to stop moping. The anti-lifed Earth arc has gone on way too long. Doubly so after the climactic finish turned out to not be the sodding finish.

Nice to see how that whole project is working out. Wonder how Hades feels about having an aggressively cosmopolitan realm?

Lord Ernest and Prince Charon like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Bueno Excellente exists. I wouldn't call him a superhero.

5. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Well, he did that epic team up. But, Tommy himself? I swear to gods, you've answered this before, but I cannot remember where.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’for making’? Maybe I’m just not understanding the sentence.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

I don't think I understood the sentence.

8. Threadmarks: Unreal (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

30th March 2013
    03:39 GMT +2?

This is… Novel.

The graveyard that was here last time has been replaced by… Stone. Grey stone, illuminated from nowhere because this is a dream. I can't tell if this is a castle or a… Maze? I haven't seen a window or anything else which would suggest a direction, though Akhlys seems to know where she's going.

"Is this what it got turned into last time?"

" In part. It seems that Melinoë has added to it."

We pass a-. Ah, a room for a sarcophagus. This is a giant crypt. Thematically appropriate, though-. Ah, of course. The things that emerge are dream-creatures: fragments risen from the collective unconscious. None of them are the souls of the dead.

"Let us learn what she had in mind."

We walk out into an internal pathway which runs around the interior of a square cross-sectioned tower. Looking up-. Heh. Looking up I see myself and Akhlys looking up and/or down from a hundred other pathways, because conventional physics are for the weak.

"An optical illusion. This is a pointless delay that cannot hold me here."

"Each day's a gift and not a given right. People will struggle on for every moment, even if they don't have any hope of winning. Because who knows what might happen."

"They might give in to despair."

"Or a madman with a glowing orange ring might swing by and deal with their problem. That's happened quite a lot recently."

"The hope merely emphasises the hopelessness."

I walk up behind her and wrap my arms around her torso. "I'm sorry about-"

Ultimately, alone.

Just an opportunity to meet new people. I've actually lived through that one.

"-that."

"Is this what you are planning? To try and turn me from the truth with feigned affection?"

"No."

She reaches around with her left hand and lays it on my left forearm. "Fool."

"That appears to be the prevailing opinion."

"I tolerate your touch because I am not used to using the Anti-Life in this environment."

I frown, looking past her-. The cracks between the stones are glowing black.

"This dream of stone and death lacks the integrity to resist as you do. Merely by my being here I cause it to crumble."

"And how do you handle madness?"

"See?"

She points upwards with her right hand, and I follow her extending index finger to watch as the black glow reaches the reflections.

"Dreams fade before the light of truth."

Dark lines appear between each reflection, the whole shattering into fragments which shimmer into ethereality as they move through each other like phantoms before merging and collating-.

I see a translucent image of myself swing in through the wall, another through the ceiling, another-.

I see myself from slightly different directions and angles, and Akhlys and.. this place, and…

Some of them didn't come here the same way. I see stairs I didn't walk up, passages I didn't walk along. I feel everything from a dull emptiness that feels a little like the Anti-Life to exhalant joy, shivering fear, amusement-.

"An interesting approach. Making me induce my own madness." Akhlys looks across the now-sensible gap between our walkway… And the opposite walkway where Melinoë stands. "But all that you have done is expose your ignorance. Did you think that my thoughts are my own, so that confusing them would stop me?"

"Also, did you have to hit me as well?"

Melinoë glowers at-. Either one or both of us. "Yes."

"You cannot inflict suffering on me. You could not have done so even before my enlightenment in the ways of the Anti-Life. I am the Goddess of Suffering. I can no more be made to suffer by you than I could make you dream a nightmare."

"I cannot make you suffer." A figure emerges from the corridor behind her. "But not everyone who experiences madness suffers from it."

"He-llo there!" The-. Napier waves, lipstick-coated mouth grinning and too-long right arm waving in a parody of genuine friendliness. "Straight Man and Debbie Downer. My money was on you ending up with the Superboy!"

"Jack. You seem chipper."

"Hah-hah! What can I say? You gave me that white glowy knock to the ol' noggin, and everything was right-" He taps the top of his head with his right fist. "-in the Jokerdome!"

"I was sort of hoping that we'd get your original personality back."

"You did! But it turns out that I'm not even good for my own sanity! Completely fruited his loop! Fell back into me like a comfortable pair of unwashed pants!" He leans forwards, right hand at the side of his face as if offering a private aside. "He did that sort of thing a lot."

Akhlys pushes me back and walks to the edge of the walkway. "Are you a jester?"

"I'm the jestiest! But you…" He shakes his head. "I'm afraid that the Anti-Life just isn't funny."

Behind him, Melinoë makes eye contact with me and motions to her right with her eyes. I nod inside my armour, then rise slightly off the ground and head down the passage to my left.

The moment I'm out of Akhlys' line of sight the space around me shifts and I'm falling, plummeting down a corridor that a moment ago was horizontal. And I admit, for just a second I'm afraid of falling again for the first time in years. I'm falling-

Through a gap in the wall I drop past I see Napier throw a gas grenade at Akhlys.

-down to-.

I stagger, turning my momentum into a run as down becomes down again, Melinoë watching me disinterestedly.

"The Joker?"

"His mind is empty of aught but joy and madness. He will use the Dream to his advantage without thinking about it, and her aura will not afflict him."

"So long as he can't come back later. No sign of Alan?"

"Not as yet."

"Then we'd best go find him."

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

This is a complete surprise. It is truly a perilous time when the Joker is needed to save the day. The fact that he noticed the chemistry between OL and Superboy is also fun to know. Also, I hope Batman wasn't made aware of this beforehand so that we can see his reaction to this.

That's a shame, though I suppose it was too much to hope that the Joker can be made sane permanently.

It is always a good story when the Joker decides the evil side is not to his liking, because he's one of the most unpredictable people in the world, which means he can at least surprise the bad guy he fights.

That apostrophe should be moved to the end of the word.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If this is Akhlys then it should be black and not orange.

Shit.

Well if there's anyone that would have an odd relationship with Anti-Life, it would be him.

"like a"

"makes"

"to my"

Mr Zoat, Duke Long, PDV and 3 others like this.
  11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I wanna point out here that bringing the Joker into anything is garunteed to make things worse in the long run.

12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

To be fair, this was Melinoë's plan, not Paul's, and it would make sense that she'd use someone who was insane given that she's the Goddess of Nightmares and Madness.

Prince Charon, boo600, Bud-E and 11 others like this.
  13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Or perhaps, a Labyrinth? Not the kind with a single path, though. And can we hope that there's a Minotaur to patrol it that can at least delay Ahkyls? It'd certainly be on-theme for those involved, at least.

Interesting. A delaying tactic as a defensive measure on the part of the Dreaming?

...Dare I hope that Melinoë has called forth something more sinister, like the Tomb of Horrors perhaps? Or possibly the World's Largest Dungeon.

...Or perhaps this is another kind of Labyrinth... :D

Yes, and then someone else can shake them out of it. It's why people aren't mean to exist alone.

But the thrill of hope fulfilled can motivate far better than the belief it never will be...

Yeah, she's not feeling like being in a hugging mood right now.

And once again, he shakes off a dose of Anti-Life with a simple change of perspective...

Nothing feigned about his feelings. Nature of the Enlightened.

'It's not like I wanted you to hug me or anything, b-baka." The Anti-Life is bringing out the tsundere in her...

...Or perhaps the cat. Then again, what is a cat but a tsundere in fur? :p

Since being here will probably make Melinoë much stronger.

Aw, barging in with the dungeon bypass...

So, no exploring the folded space? :rolleyes:

Oof, looks like Melinoë's aim is a little indiscriminate. She's not still peeved at OL, is she? :p

And it doesn't concern you that the Anti-Life is apparently at the wheel?

To be fair, you did kind of earn that one, OL.

Oh, did she call in a ringer? Or at least fabricate a dream of one?

...This better not be the real guy in the flesh., or things might just get a little more difficult.

On the upside, all I can hear is Mark Hamill's classic voice. Not... Whatever the YJ version was.

Ah, so this is closer to a dream of the Joker than the real man himself. Like a distillation of all his madness... Which makes this all the more worrying.

Yes, best not to hang around in case Joker gets distracted by him.

So Joker's distraction broke Ahklys' disruption of the spatial folding.

Now would be a real good time to fix the little issue of your dwindling Ring Charge, you know...

So this is basically the perfect battlefield for this Joker. Let's hope he doesn't slip his leash, though...

Hopefully they're not pinned down by a dream storm or something...

This seems like a bad idea, real Joker or not. But honestly, this whole situation has been leaning on the Godzilla threshold since OL soaked up all that death magic. And here, in the Dreaming? There's a great big safety net of a Godzilla just waiting to have his attention grabbed by Ahklys letting loose in his realm. Though I doubt he'll take action until his rules allow it...

Prince Charon, Ardy, boo600 and 7 others like this.
  14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found another error. That should say 'ring'.

15. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘it on’
    I don’t think this should have orange speech marks. Someone already mentioned the other paragraph like this.

16. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Never expected to see the Joker again, but hey, at least he's useful in some way. What I don't know for certain is if this is the Joker's mind summoned to the Dream by Melinoe or if it's the actual Joker physically there; I would assume the first one, since Melinoe just recently went in and I don't think that's enough time to go to the physical world and back.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Firewillreign

Firewillreign Know what you're doing yet?

All this fuckery is going to guarantee Dream's attention, and an angry Dream means everyone is screwed. Also, I REALLY doubt that Anti-Life can even work on him, because the endless are in a class of their own and their awareness of creation and themselves make Paul's enlightenment look like pot-induced fever dream.

19. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I wonder if Sandy’s debt will come due? And he’ll be used as a sock puppet for Dream’s will, or something.

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  20. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

So I've only ever seen two pieces of media with the Joker - the animated series from the mid-90s, and the second Batman movie. And my mind immediately went to the cartoon version's voice and mannerisms in reading that, without me even realising it for a few paragraphs. That's a bit of a mindfuck.

Cuchulin and Silveraith like this.
  21. Threadmarks: Unreal (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

30th March 2013
    03:42 GMT +2?

Melinoë leads me out onto a… Landing pad? Her gaze rises to the… Cloud-wracked sky as a bat-winged horse swoops down towards us.

"You could probably get a real one."

"I am not asking Uncle Poseidon to have sex with a bat. A steed of bound-together dreams will-" It lands just in front of us and she climbs onto it. "-suffice."

"Okay, we're looking for hope, Alan, or a giant blue bird called Adara. Can you find them?"

"We cannot leave this to chance."

"Sure, ideally, but I don’t know how to make this-."

"So we will consult with the master of this realm." The horse's wings flap and it rises into the air. "You can explain."

"Hgghuuuhahahahaha!"

Napier grows out of the tower, pushing down on the wall to lift up his legs and crouch on it. Then he reaches towards his flower with his right hand and triggers the bulb, acid spraying out and making the stone smoulder and melt.

I close my eyes, focus my mind on the sensation of flight in all its forms and sort of pull the associated ideas to me. Nothing like as fast as I'm used to flying, but then we're not flying to a particular corporeal location. "Why him?"

Melinoë leads the way, leaning close to her steed as it flaps for height. "How many willing servants do you think that the Goddess of Nightmares and Madness has?" Her eyes narrow. "Or did you expect me to keep myself for you?"

"No, of course not."

She looks up at the rapidly-approaching clouds. "He knows the basics of the art of dream manipulation. He will hold her longer than either of us could."

"Is there going to be a long-term problem with Jack 'the Joker' Napier knowing how to do that?"

"Not if we do not contain the Anti-Life."

"I seem to remember Dream being a bit… Temperamental."

"Are you worried that we are going to see one of the few being in existence who can hold you to account?"

"Yes. Plus the fact that Desire seems to like me and the two of them don't get on. Ah, as I understand it."

"Desire has spoken to you?"

"Twice. Apparently I'm a 'delightful mess'."

"Fooooooooore!"

I glance down as Napier draws a golf club from… Nowhere, and swings it at a tower which changes into a golf ball a moment before the club hits.

"I bet you've never suffered like that before!"

"Can he-?"

"I cannot imagine him winning, but he can hold her attention. Now, ready yourself to-"

We punch through the clouds, and there's a castle of ridiculous towers standing on rock fingers rising out of the clouds, buildings perilously perched and inadequately braced. Thin walkways link some of the towers, without rhyme or reason in their directions or orientation. The clouds below are dark grey, and the sky all around is pale blue-grey, not cloud or mist but reality with nothing printed onto it.

"-grovel."

"Does he know we're coming?"

"Yes."

"Then at least the grovelling will be efficient."

A wing-flap from her steed and we're nearly there, another and she's coming into land, touching down on the top of a battlement with no visible way off. I drift down and land next to her.

"Is there a way to get an emergency meeting? I realise that he's a sovereign and a busy man-."

"But he recognises patterns well enough to know-"

I turn, and see… That small turret wasn't there before, and neither was the door it in. Morpheus… I'm assuming that that is him, but what I'm seeing-. I know he can look like just about anything, but what I'm seeing right now is a black… Blob with a white mask with a sort of simplified human face on it at roughly the level a face should be.

"-that leaving one such as you alone in my domain would be ill-advised."

Melinoë mimes a curtsey. "Dream Lord."

I perform a shallow bow as he approaches, his body… Refining itself into something more human-looking as he does so. The blob takes on a suggestion of robes and hair, the face more definite features. Eyes shining with tiny stars shimmer under heavy brows.

I incline my head. "Dream."

"Goddess of Nightmares and Scholar of Avarice. You have brought Anti-Life into my kingdom."

"Yes, and if you'll help us find Blue Lantern Alan Scott we'll deal with that immediately. And I'll pay you back for the insult and intrusion but please, we're in a hurry."

His robe becomes a coat and trousers, and he gains visible arms. "You do not intend to claim that I owe you for freeing Sanderson Hawkins?"

"I don't know how you value the two things and don't have time to argue. I'm a hero; if I can pay a price to prevent something terrible happening, then that's what I'll do."

"Very well then. A favour for a favour. Alan Scott is trying to find passage from Baghdad. But it is a simple matter-"

"…a single place.. where-."

Alan steps out from behind the turret, looking around in surprise.

"-to move him from one part of my realm to another.

"Thank you. Alan, did Diana explain what's going on?"

He blinks, then shakes his head. "No? I haven't seen her. I just thought Sandy might have some kinda dream portal, or a way to get through the Dream so we could get into Erebos that way."

"Good idea." I turn to Morpheus. "Thank you, you know how to reach me when you want me. Come on!"

I rise into the air. Alan tries to follow but doesn't get anywhere. Melinoë pulls him towards her horse and then boosts him up onto its back before mounting it herself.

"Okay, I'm missing something. What's going on?"

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Unless that's on purpose, that should say 'Fooooooooore'.

I can't wait to see what Dream will ask of Paul after this is over.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think he'd mind.

Maybe you caught him changing.

24. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Nice to know Dream can be so accomodating. I do wonder about what it's going to cost Paul somewhere / somewhen.

25. KaiserDrgn

KaiserDrgn (Verified Dragon)

Have the events of Sandman happened in this setting? Is Dream still Morpheus or is he Daniel? Paul referred to him as Morpheus in his mind, but I don't know if that's indicative or not.

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul confirmed that the part where Dream died and was replaced didn't happen.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh. Perhaps it's a dream of the Thestrals. Then again, 'Horse with bits tacked on' isn't an uncommon magical image. And it's more efficient than simply walking or running about in search of their allies.

Asking for the big one just in case, eh? Then again, the Embodiments probably appear in the dreams of mortals...

Indy Ploys are not OL's strong suit. He's much more of a planner than a 'fly by the seat of his pants' fellow.

Yeah, there's only one person that laugh could belong to...

Because he could roll the Anti-Life into a newspaper and bap Ahklys over the head with it? The being is all powerful within his set-forth rules in this place...

I mean, that ship has sailed, at least for the remainder of Jade's mortal life.

Ideally, a quick memory-wipe that turns this into a mere dream in Joker's mind? Pretty sure he's not here in the flesh anyway, given his shifting back there.

Depends on the incarnation, really. And whether he's just got out of a relationship...

Heck, I bet Dream could easily say that OL has provided some fascinating sources of nightmares for some people.

Ah, he does kind of remember that first visit. Kind of fuzzy on the details of his second encounter, though...

At least he's having fun in all this.

So even Melinoë thinks Joker can't win. let's hope not, or they'll have a worse time on their hands.

To be fair, the Palace is probably as mutable as Dracula's Castle in Castlevania. Ever-changing at the maker's whim, and free of limitations like gravity or material durability... And always possessing a few consistent locations.

Which I'm sure the busy being will appreciate.

I'm pretty sure he recognises Anti-Life loose in his realm, and has cleared his calender for the duration.

Ooh, rude. :p You caught him in a transitional state between perceptual adaption.

I suspect calling him Oneiros, a name he used in ancient Greece, might be a reminder of how things went bad there...

So, still Morpheus, I see. I'm guessing this incarnation has had a somewhat lighter load to deal with, and less of the deep depression that led to the Vertigo version 'refreshing' himself...

Ooh, a blank cheque? That'll come back on him later.

He has a good point. Consequences are not something Heroes consider very much.

...I hope whoever he was talking to isn't too put out by his sudden displacement.

Hmm... If he was in dream Baghdad, she might not have found him yet...

Heh. A bit rude, again, but this is an emergency, and courtesy can be set aside for the sake of urgency.

Now, how soon until he's facepalming and sighing disappointedly after OL fills him in...

So, then, they have who and what they think they need to 'fix' Ahklys. Let's see if they can pull it off. And then deal with the Joker running loose in the Dreaming. Because I doubt the master of the realm will be too happy about such a chaotic guest in his domain. ...Not that he's generally happy most of the time anyway, but... :oops:

28. B00ki5h

B00ki5h Verified: Oddball, Lurker, and Dabbler

Has the Corinthian been captured yet or is he still playing serial killer?

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Desire interrupted Paul while he was helping a fleet negotiate a Spider Guild sept's surrender. He got Desire to go away by telling them what happens when a member of the Endless dies. Though I don't remember what episode that happened in.

30. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’such as you’?