1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

For anyone curious, the Doylist reason for the way the DCEU Parademons basically being Borg ripoffs is because that's what DC made them after Flashpoint.

Since Parademons were insectile I don't know why they didn't rip off Aliens or Mimic instead of Star Trek, but that's neither here nor there.

2. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Truest words have never been spoken by Grayven, but seeing him utter them so... nonchalantly makes it extra funny.

And I thought he was gonna go for the Justice League, but is he trying to add members to it or does he not think them capable? Or is it because right now Superman is dead?

Prince Charon, boo600, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Given the introduction and its circumstances, I rather suspect the Themyscirans did jump to the obvious conclusion. But really, given their limited information, it's understandable. Especially when you stepped out of the Boom Tube...

Well, how hospitable. Surely, o Queen, a fellow this polite couldn't be evil.

He's not Herakles, you know, no need to be so hostile.

And honestly, if the Boxes can't take a nuke or two without being scratched, they're clearly not worthy of the name...

Yes, please, do elucidate. So far it's been a mystery.

I suspect if he knew of a way to destroy it, he would have by now. Sadly, as mentioned above, it's probably quite resilient.

I rather do prefer the LEGO Parademon minifigures from the Superheroes line. Much more appropriate colouring, even if they're still lumbered with the movie aesthetic.

"Please, excuse his attempt at civility. He is a good fellow, really." And it does seem a somewhat convoluted way of going about terraforming. Or should that be terror-forming? :p

And no doubt the Renegade would happily bake cakes, especially with his kids.

Such aggression. She seems determined to play the resistant captive, doesn't she? :oops: Flashbacks to Herakles, perhaps?

Correct-ish, if a little abridged, summary of his history. I'm sure he doesn't feel the need to brag about his magical equine lady-friend or his many partly-demonic children. :D

Like, say, a certain Spectrum Entity whose mere existence is treated like a super-super-secret detail by the Guardians. ;) Presuming it exists here, even if the Lanterns do.

And given how much mayhem Earth seems to attract, it's probably going to be more trouble than it's worth to hold.

Heh. Nice reference to the bride-abduction myth of Persephone.

To be fair, Renegade, I'm not sure the Themyscirans have an equivalent to tea in their history. And their drinking vessel looks awkward as...

How awesome he is? How good a leader he is? Someone to talk to for narrative reasons? :p

And no doubt Diana will end up calling Batman and others together to battle the Renegade.

What reason would he have to lie? You're basically at his mercy. He could have simply killed you at any point here. But he wants you as an ally, not an enemy.

...There's the exit. No strings attached, no door to hit you where the Goddesses split you... In back, I mean, not... :oops: Well, that joke rather went to an odd place.

Really, they need to call it a different name, it's probably insulting the real Mother Box present every time they use it. How about Granny Box?

Which raises questions of who he's collecting. I'm betting it'll be a parade of various DCEU-compatible villains...

...Interesting. I foresee a lot of rage in that one. Kind of reminds me of the pics of DCEU Doomsday I've seen in terms of looks, despite being from over ten years earlier.

Well, there's a somewhat loose reason for why he's here. No doubt playing it a little villainous to encourage the heroes of this Earth to ally together... Despite some of them being right gits. I mean, sad detective man, moody wonder lady, dudebro fish-man and millennial speedy guy didn't seem too heroic from what I've seen. :p I can only hope a Green Lantern and a certain Martian show up to nudge things along.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Given the death of the Olympians, Hercules may not have existed.

And even if he did, it's possible that his conquest of the Amazons didn't happen here.

Or it could be the fact that this oaf invaded their home and kidnapped her.

Those two things do not instill gratitude to anyone.

I mean, they may do it for some people.

Hyppolita: I used to see a guy that was into weirder things.

To be an asshole.

To trick her into doing something that she wouldn't do if he just brute-forced the issue.

See the above point.

Well it is larger compared to its comic counterpart, so it honestly may be an older model.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Doccer and 2 others like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

"If you were as good as me, you'd be this smug too."
    There isn't a Justice League at the moment. There are a couple of people with superpowers, but few of them even know each other. Batman and Wonder Woman met for about five minutes.

6. MadMarx420

MadMarx420 Not too sore, are you?

If I’m remembering my DCEU lore correctly, the Olympians have been dead for tens of thousands of years by Ares, Themyscira and the Amazons were created by Zeus right before his death and also Diana is a daughter of Zeus. I really want to see Grayvens reaction to all this nonsense.

Cuchulin, boo600 and Old Knife like this.
  7. Wivk

Wivk Know what you're doing yet?

Very nice

8. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

so if Gravy is the god of conquest, and he fulfills his plan, what then? if everything is united under his banner and he truly wins and everybody is content as a subject beneath him, what happens to the god of conquest when there's nothing left to conquer?

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

This. He opens a gateway to a parallel universe and starts again, because he finds the process so satisfying.

Though I should point out that he is lying here as part of hamming it up for Hippolyta.

10. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

None of this makes any sense. How is he "finished" ruling the universe?

11. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Seems like something he'd do. Though if he makes it too obvious that he's involved here he may be just creating a team like Sinister 6 to inspire the heroes to team up.
    Heroes arise where Villains thrive and all that.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Well, you know 'the universe'..?

But on a more serious note, it's more like the end of WW2 in Hearts of Iron. He could keep going, but the parts he's personally connected to are resolved.

13. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Could’ve sworn Zoat said something about the renegade ending the story screaming at the source wall, which implied a less-than-happy ending than what this one implies

Cuchulin and Galler like this.
  14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

If memory serves, he was talking about the season, and Gravy already did that scene.

DrRok and Ardy like this.
  15. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

He was referring to star crossed? Damn that was a fun arc

16. Threadmarks: Mighty Morphin' Lantern Rangers (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

1st April 1995
    11:35 GMT - 7

How has no one found this place?

Firstly, the Power Rangers' base of operations is on top of an obvious point of interest in a park. Okay, the exterior looks like it's made of conventional concrete blocks, so I could see a proportion of visitors writing it off as some sort of weird art installation, or.. maybe an observatory. But someone would have to check, wouldn't they? A park ranger or someone? And okay, the teleport system means that the Rangers don't have to worry about getting spotted travelling to or from the place. But they're superheroes. Even on Earth 16, which has all sorts of customs encouraging people not to go spying on superheroes, there are people who scour cities after major new appearances to find out any information they can. And even if there aren't any people like that, the National Security Agency should be pretty darn interested.

Or the villains. The only halfway sensible reason for Rita Repulsa to attack Angel Grove rather than anywhere else on Earth is because she's trying to draw them out, so she must know it's around here somewhere. Is her intelligence gathering so bad that she can't get some of her people-.

Her chimp-man, her winged lion in gold armour or her blue goblinoid.. people…

Okay, yes that makes a kind of sense.

"I have a question."

Zack looks at me from the other side of the antechamber.

"Sorry man, I can't tell you anything until Red Ranger gets done talking to Zordon."

"Why doesn’t Rita attack literally anywhere else on the planet?"

"What difference does it make? We'd just teleport there as soon as Zordon picked up their teleport signal."

I nod. Worldwide detection capabilities. Interesting.

"Does that get you the exact location, or the approximate location?"

"It's.. not exact, but it's pretty good."

"So all she'd need to do would be create a monster who could hide, teleport them down somewhere with good transportation links, have them.. jump on a lorry, and then they could attack anywhere and you wouldn't know about it until the news report came in?"

He jerks. "Ah… No, if they fire energy beams we can pick that up too."

"And if they limit themselves to physical attacks?"

"Then…" He looks visibly perturbed. "I.. guess we'd be in trouble."

"Have you ever considered making direct contact with Earth's intelligence agencies? Given the 'giant monster versus giant robot' fights that happen around here, I can't imagine that they're unaware of your existence. You can't build a full human intelligence network yourself, but no one wants Rita conquering the planet."

"That's-. Maybe you should talk to B-Blue Ranger about it."

I nod.

"Can I ask you a question?"

I nod again. "Certainly."

He smiles. "You really work with Batman?"

"That's what I remember. Of course, on the preponderance of evidence I'd have to say that it's more likely that I have alchemically-created memories of working with Batman which have no basis in reality."

"Cool." He pauses. "I mean, I only watched the series, so I-."

"Live action or animated?"

"The cartoon."

"Good, because for a moment there I thought you were going to ask about the Adam West series and then I'd have to kill you." He hands jerk towards his axe-. "Joke!" I hold up my hands. "Joke!"

He freezes, then moves his hands away from the axe and tries to pretend they were never there. "Who's Adam West?"

"He did a very camp live action Batman series in the sixties. I don't hate it, but that's not what being a superhero is actually like."

"Yeah, TV really doesn't prepare you for this." He looks left and right, but the other Rangers are out of sight. "First time Rita made a monster grow, y'know? I completely froze up. If the teleporter hadn't put me inside the Mastodon Zord automatically I'd probably have missed it."

I nod. "Same thing happened to me during my first supervillain fight. It's not that you're afraid so much as bewildered. Nothing can quite prepare you for a tornado-throwing robot. Or a-" I indicate him with my right hand. "-sudden giant monster."

He nods back. "Putties? Regular-sized monsters? Just another day on the sparring mat. Kinda. Then suddenly you've got something the size of a skyscraper screaming at you. Now, it's-"

I smile. "Yeah."

"-all, 'oh, she's making it giant again, because that worked so well the last dozen times'."

"So… Why haven't you ever attacked her on the moon?"

"'cause, then she'd have all her guys all around us, all the reinforcements she wanted, in her castle -which has gotta be full of traps and magic spells and stuff- and we wouldn't be able to get back. And if she made a monster giant up there while our zords were back on Earth, we'd be toast."

"Good reason. But how about teleporting up there with a tactical nuclear device-?"

The reinforced door to the-. Well, I assume that it's the actual command room where Zordon spends his time, opens and the other four Rangers walk out. They're still in costume and.. honestly, I'm not sure if I remember their faces well enough to pick them out of a police line-up.

"Alright, give me the bad news."

"You were created by the potion." William twitches as Yellow Ranger elbows him. "But that doesn't.. make you a bad person?"

"Thank you for clarifying that. Follow up question: is it permanent?"

"We don't know. The only way to find out for sure would be to use it on another publication, and their post-initiation emergence would mean that you would be affected by any time-related expiration before they would."

"No, I was just hoping that alchemical potions conformed to certain norms of behaviour. Supplementary question." I create a simple shield construct. "How the heck am I doing this?"

Yellow Ranger tilts her head slightly to the side. "You do that with your ring."

"My ring draws power from the emotional spectrum. The emotion spectrum is a feature of the Detective Comics universe." Post-1995, but let's leave that aside for the moment. "The thing this ring uses as an intrinsic part of how it works doesn't exist here, so clearly this ring can't be using it to function. And yet, it functions. How?"

"The obvious source of mystic energy is the potion used to create you. But since your exposure was a unique event-."

"Either it made me tap into something else, or I have a finite quantity of power and I'm running down my battery."

Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Could I please speak to Zordon directly?"

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She may know that, but Zordon, a guy that's fought her before, probably has defenses.

And she may not want to blow it up from orbit since there's a chance the Rangers have another base that they can retreat to and she may have no idea where that is.

Rita's people aren't exactly the top of their fields.

And even if they just showed up in the same city it would be pretty easy to track the monster down since they're not exact subtle or quiet.

Never attack a wizard on their territory.

Abridged Red Tornado: Because magic, you fucking potato.

Kiden, Cuchulin, Sockmonkey and 14 others like this.
  18. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Soooo everything we've read so far is his fever dream?

19. Taisei

Taisei Unsung Supporting Character

No? At least that isn't confirmed yet.

It's just the current Paul is an alchemical construct based on the Power Ranger universe's deception of the normal Paul we've been following.

Perhaps our paul is remotely controlling this body if you want to make it even more meta.

20. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

So... what do you do when you find out you're a cheap copy of an actual person, with memories that might as well be artificial, made alive by a possible "one episode monster" magic potion?

Are you actually alive? Do you try to extend said life and make it your own? Go all "Pinocchio wants to be a real boy"? Or do you accept that you're a copy with quick expiration date or a golem with no true life and the real "you" is probably ok?

This is some trippy stuff when you think about it.

Cuchulin, Ardy, PDV and 10 others like this.
  21. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

A somewhat familiar situation for him. Great power but finite energy and no method to recharge.

Three broad responses: Absolute conservation to stretch your time, spend power seeking a new power source and go out in a blaze of glory. Last time he went with two. Kinda expecting him to lean towards three this time given his meta situation.

22. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Cocaine and hookers, and sending a nuclear blast to the moon.

Kiden, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

More likely it has a passive 'Don't pay attention to this' field in place around it. The soon-to-be-Rangers only spotted it in the first episode because Zordon wanted them to. Who knows, maybe from a distance it just looks like an oddly geometric rock formation that's entirely uninteresting...

Of them, the only noticably dangerous one is Goldar/Grifforzer. The others are mostly blithering idiots who are only dangerous by accident, or non-combatant types like Finster/Pleprechaun. Why do you think she sends out her monsters?

I would have many, but often one question prompts another.

No doubt still fully armoured up, because secret identities. Unmasking would seem foolhardy.

Which also raises the question of why their teleport signatures aren't seen. Unless the colour-coded blobs flying through the air are just for the audience's convenience.

Like, is it precise down to the foot, or in a general 'couple of hundred meters' range? Though generally, panicked bystanders tends to be a useful indicator of point of origin. :D

I doubt the detection is able to just ping 'monsters' just sitting around, can it? They'd have to actively be using some form of exotic energy to show up... Otherwise, so many things would have shown up sooner.

Interesting that he can read that through the helmet, again assuming he's smart enough to still be wearing it. Or is Zack overacting by tilting his head, scratching his head with one hand and acting generally nervous? :p

Good cover. Helps that Billy's about the only member whose name starts with the same letter as his colour. As for the whole 'intelligence agency contact' thing, I doubt they'd be willing to work with teenagers, and probably demand Zordon put their hand-picked agents in Ranger suits... Then again, there were teams like Lightspeed Rescue and SPD.

See, questions lead to questions. Friendship values increase!

And is the one in OL's comic considered as badass as the main canon one, if they aren't the same thing...

Still, you feel real, you think like you should... Is there really any difference? Cogito Ergo Sum and so on.

So, is the Young Justice universe an entire Animated canon here, DCAU style, and how would OL look in the Dini style? :p

...Please tell me this universe had 'Batman' '66 and he's just being a typical dumb teenager...

Honestly, Batman '66 is one of the most gentle versions of what being Batman is like. The Joker's more of a capering clown than a mass murderer, Catwoman is a sexy socialite cat burglar, and most of the villains are generally lighter and softer than their modern counterparts...
    Barring any unspoken 'fridge horror' things like a ray that dehydrates people into piles of dust, yet allow them to be reconstituted without difficulty. As long as you don't mix the piles, anyway. :oops:

The human brain isn't built to cope with 'suddenly giant thing way too close to me'...

...And yet it can adapt so quickly through habituation.

...And I'm suddenly reminded of the SNES Power Rangers game, in which the final boss fight is Megazord versus Cyclopsus on the moon. :p

...Wait, they took their helmets off? I guess they decided 'oh, he's a good guy, it's fine'. :rolleyes:

And that raises all manner of questions. I'm sure OL can think of a few.

That's assuming the potion can manifest more than one person at a time. Would be awkward if they tried it, and this OL popped as another sprang up.

Not the kind of 'how' he meant, Trini.

Effectively making it a magic ring in truth and not just reputation. :p Though it may explain the lack of Empathic vision, as without the proper Spectrum, the magic making him exist has no way to replicate it... Or something.

And that's assuming he has any of his subspace arsenal, including his Lantern, in this state.

So, this is likely a particularly deep version of the usual 'Alternate Paul' vision OL usually gets, then. He's thus in a trance in Mount Justice, believing he's directly mentally linked to this OL but they're just synergising overly well. One way to check would be to look at the next page of the comic, which I hope they brought with them. If OL can perceive it, it's a vision, because there'd be no rational way to see his own future moments. :confused: ...Or something like that.

He looks left and right, but the other Rangers are out of sight.
    Then suddenly you've got something the size of a skyscraper screaming at you.

24. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Mastodon Zord (capitalised "Z").

Clearly the first step is to establish whether there's a local Ophidian, and/or whether the subspace pocket contents are intact and/or working, including the Lantern?

Also, I'm kinda expecting a meta Star Trek joke about Vasquez rocks.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    Ardy, Duke Long, Lord Ernest and 3 others like this.
  25. Signaller

Not possible, by the logic of the Turbo movie.

Also Forever Red, and more recently O&A. Though I think generally speaking Zords are made for terrain combat, since underwater fighting only happened a few times (once in MMPR, once in Zeo?), and space combat is similarly rare until at least the halfway point through the series (In Space didn't have much actual space combat).

I want to know who the author/s are and when it was published. Were ISSNs a thing back in the 90s?

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Plus while Paul hasn't been hostile so far, it may be safe to have some protection.

Most people also don't look up in the air all that much, and if they do, they may just think the weird colors were tricks of the light.

And it's actually good that they'd be teleported some distance from the monster.

If they teleported a few feet from it then it may just kill them before they have a chance to raise their defenses, but if they're farther away then they have a chance.

Though if I remember correctly they managed to tap into the Morphing Grid without his help.

Though it's been years since I saw either show, so there's a chance I'm wrong.

One reason Zordon may not work with governments is because he knows various Earth situations are very, very complicated and messy, and throwing giant robots into the equation is not exactly all that helpful.

Yeah, he's fought in wars, but the people he fought against were puppy kicking levels of gleefully evil and had little ambitions aside from just being the worst of the worst, so any moral dilemma he may have had would have been easily removed when he saw his enemy shopping for shoes that would inflict the largest amount of pain on the puppies that they're going to kick.

Aside from the Nazis, a lot of conflicts and wars on Earth are morally gray.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  27. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Best case scenario, I'd assume he'd be able to tap into the Morphing Grid or something to sustain his existence.

Prince Charon likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

No, he's just saying that if they had, he still wouldn't recognise them.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Who is Vasquez?

Cuchulin, Ardy, Duke Long and 3 others like this.
  29. Signaller

30. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

First thing I'd ask Zordon is why the hell is it called the Morphing Grid?

It's a mult-dimensional energy that connects literally everything together including parallel universes and alternate timelines. If one has a way to enter the Grid, they can go anywhere and anywhen in space and time.

It contains the knowledge and memories of everyone who's ever connected to it.

It can grant those connected to it enhanced strength, speed, magic, etc.

It's essentially an afterlife with a revolving door.

And they use it for spandex.