1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Either he no longer has it, or he is only using Ringnestro because using fear is better in this situation than using avarice for some reason.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Oh, he's still got it. But there was a period where he didn't have it and got used to using the yellow ring, and he's perfectly aware of the mental alterations that orange light use can cause.

3. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Sad yet wise.

Xmaster3000 and Lord Ernest like this.
  4. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Never saw the DCEU, so I have no idea what's going on, but I'm enjoying seeing Grayven travelling the multiverse, meddling with other continuities. Wonder if he'll visit 2002's Birds of Prey or 2004's Batman? Especially since Zoat previously stated that his storyline ends with him screaming at the Source Wall, which made me a bit nervous something bad would happen to him down the line. Though I have to ask, will we see Grayven visit the world of JL:G&M or was that whole thing just a joke post?

Admittedly unrelated to the rest of the current episode, but I have question. Could construct-lantern Am-heh talk? Teekl was able to and she definitely couldn't talk english or even people until she got assimilated. Minor, but I'm curious.

Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I don't remember either Paul or the Renegade assimilating someone named Am-heh. Can you point out when that happened?

6. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

That's the Goa'uld that Paulmon assimilated, in the Stargate segments obviously.

Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  7. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

If you want proper scalie bois, just go back a bit before dinos to the time of crocodiliformes. They look like "classic" dinos.

Previously in the story it was mentioned that New Gods don't suffer from those sorts of power ring effects.

8. Mr Zoat

They don't. But he doesn't know that for sure.
    No, because goa'uld can't talk.

9. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

Neither could Xalitan Xor.

Ardy and Venustoise like this.
  10. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

I had the same thought, but Zoat means for acting purposes, Goa’uld can’t talk without a host.

It would be very suspicious if he was the only one that could.

Ardy, Venustoise and Galler like this.
  11. Threadmarks: Mighty Morphin' Lantern Rangers (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

1st April 1995
    12:57 GMT -7

"Um. Hey."

The Pink Ranger -sans costume- approaches as I look out across the Angel Grove Park. I want to call her… Trinity..? But that's probably not right.

"Afternoon." I shrug. "I'd say good afternoon, but…"

"Ye-ah." She looks up at my face for a few moments then follows my stare out across the park. "Are you, like, looking for something?"

"If you think about it, this is the first park I've ever seen."

"What, they don't have parks in… Comic book land?"

"The comic wasn't a portal to a parallel universe. It was fictional, and so was I. Nothing I saw, or… Remember seeing, was actually real. It's like-."

I take a moment to consider who I'm talking to.

"I'm.. going to guess… You're not a big Star Trek fan."

She shakes her head apologetically.

"The past does not exist, only our memories of it. Doubly so for me. You and your friends are the first people I've ever spoken to; the first real people. This is the first park"

"Yeah, I…" She nods. "Get it."

I watch some sort of toddler group meandering across the grass, shepherded by their parents.

"So.. you're dying then, huh?" … "That sucks."

"Yes, it does." I breathe in and out slowly. "In other situations there are a few things I could do to put it off or get around it, but your boss was pretty clear that when time runs out everything I made vanishes. So there's no point building a new body, because it will just vanish. Same with uploading-."

I've lost her.

"Same with putting my mind into a really powerful computer. I'd have to build it with local parts and program it with…" I shake my head. "Basically, it's not viable. And the little magic I can do myself doesn't appear to work here due to this being a different universe."

"Oh." Her eyes dip. "Sorry."

"Oh, better to have existed for a day than to have not existed at all, I suppose."

She… She smiles. "That's the spirit! So what're you gonna do?"

"How do you mean?"

"If you've only got, like, a day left, what're you gonna do with it?"

"I… Ah. I'm going to do everything I can to get out of it."

"Oh." She frowns in confusion. "'cause I thought you couldn't do anything."

"I can't think of anything right now, but I could have days."

"Yeah… But..? Do you really wanna..? Use them like that?"

"The first successful heart-lung transplant was performed in nineteen eighty one. Someone receiving that chirurgery will have to cope with the procedure itself, then with the immunosuppressant drugs they'll be on for the rest of their lives so that their own immune system doesn't attack their new organs. That will make them more vulnerable to all other diseases and might not be entirely effective anyway. They might still get problems with the organs being rejected."

I turn to face her.

"So tell me; if it was you, if you had a fatal heart disease and the opportunity to maybe get a transplant… Do you stay in a major city that has a hospital that could do the chirurgery or do you go backpacking in Belize in the understanding that you won't need a return plane ticket?"

"I dunno." She shrugs. "I haven't really thought about it."

"Then I strongly advise you to never take up smoking."

"As if." She looks thoughtful for a moment, then perks up. "Hey, did you know Supergirl?"

"How do you mean?"

"Supergirl. Like Superman?" She squints. "You know who Superman is, right? Or is that, like, a different company? Or something?"

"I… Allowing for the fact that all my memories of them are fictitious, I know Kara Zor-El, Kara El, Linda Danvers and Angelika Kant."

"But do you know Supergirl?"

I…

"I know several women who've used that title, yes. How… Familiar are you with 'Supergirl'?"

"I think there was a film a few years ago?"

"Not-. Where I'm from. But I'm aware of it, and I don't think it was anything like as bad as the reviewers said. Ah. But none of the Supergirls I know are actually like she was in the film."

"Oh."

"Though I do appreciate your attempt to relate to me."

She perks up slightly. "Oh."

I mean… Power Rangers. I barely remember anything about Power Rangers. Certainly not enough to do what I did on Earth 16 and exploit my metaknowledge. I know… Goldar's got a zord buried somewhere, but I've got no idea where it is or how to get at it. And that's it, really. Rita's people generally made their monsters as and when they needed them or when inspiration took them, so there's nothing I can acquire first...

The Green Power Coin? I have no idea where that was before Rita gave it to Tommy. Various others… I don't even remember where their costume-changes came from. Apart from that one alien who really wanted to go home… I don't even remember what it was called, but it left Earth and then…

Rita's staff made a giant copy of it to fight the Rangers.

Which…

Which is something I haven't particularly wanted to think about, but… The one readily available source-. The readily available sources of magic around here… Are in the hands of Rita's team. Minions.

I mean, Baboo made me. He can probably work out how to sustain me. And Rita's staff…

"So… Do you want me to show you around, or..?"

"No. Thank you for offering, but I doubt that what I need is in Angel Grove. But.. I.. do appreciate you making the effort."

"Okay." She smiles. "Well, if you need anything, you know where to find us."

"Thank you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll get back to my search."

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    ribbons8, Hell_Yeah, batrax and 133 others like this.
  12. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Now I'm wondering how familiar Billy is with the comic, and therefore if he might accurately predict PR!OL's next moves, and either support or try to interfere?

13. boo600

boo600 Welp

So, is a Paul going to play at Grayven-ing? Being evil? Or is he going to try Assimilating the potion-maker, since he won’t be permanently stuck like that?

Bud-E, DAT_NOOB, Lord Ernest and 3 others like this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"There was a"

15. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

If I was clever, I’d be able to come up with a way for any technology schematics Paul uploads to be replicated. Without getting deleted with him. Something about the fact that people aren’t going to forget Paul, lose their memories of him, seems like a clue.

I wonder if Paul could just stop, like a robot that is out of power, when his time comes. Meaning a recharge of magical energy will boot him back up. I can see that leading to a novel kind of Orange Lantern. One with less baggage than the gold lantern, who was enslaved to the anti-green ring.

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Kiden, Duke Long and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  17. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

This makes no sense. Uploading into a local computer really ought to work, for the same reason that the conversation will stay in Pink's memory. This show would be a lot weirder if the effects of, say, remembering fighting a monster were reversed - less Power Rangers, more Antimemetics. So either there are protected classes of interactions or the magic does an active revert- and can maybe be induced to not do so.

18. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I’m not saying he should carpet bomb the moon and throw the remnants into the sun, but since it gets undone it’s not like he’s permanently killing anyone and might traumatize the villains into
    stopping to boot

19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

It makes sense it would be her, given that she showed the most compassion earlier. I see they've at least relaxed around him, too, if they're interacting with him in civilian forms. I mean, otherwise, she'd just be a pretty girl talking to the weird moody guy out of nowhere. :p

He can be excused for being a little moody.

Only when it plays a part in a story somehow. Off-screen stuff doesn't exist, that sort of thing.

Hey, she's not that dumb. Not quite as bookish as Billy, but she's no fool.

Talking about the Holodeck's occasional manifestation of AI, like Moriarty?

Heh, I think she could feel the 'I'm talking to an idiot' tone in his voice...

...The sentiment is appreciated, even if the delivery makes the US Postal Service look good. :p

Eh, she's probably used to it from Billy. When he starts talking fancy, the others just smile and nod.

Well, I guess that puts the kibosh on 'build machines to build the machines he needs.' To be fair, there's no guarantee anything in his tech database would work in this universe, given odd physics interactions.

Sadly, going and slapping Rita around until she either helps to sustain him or surrenders to Zordon isn't viable... o_O Is it?

Especially when you add in a Power Ring.

Ah, there's a more OL response.

What would you have him do? Go gallivanting around a planet he's seen plenty of in his comic world? Wander off into space to presumably fade away out there?

Less than twenty years, at this point. And the whole process isn't exactly perfect.

And a person's response to that question says a lot about them, doesn't it?

Teenagers. Thinking they're basically immortal, even in her line of work. :p

Which Supergirl? There was like five last time we saw. Not that she reads comics, she's too cool for that. :D

I do hope more haven't shown up yet... Ideally that little leakage has sealed itself.

Dealing with 'bloody normies' as a Comic Book geek is pain, I know.

It did not do well. Especially after Superman III went down like a brick.

Though it did catch some of the Silver Age beats, like the home city having been blasted off Krypton whole. Everything else? Yeah...

Hey, she tried. But... Popular girl of the nineties dealing with comic-book guy come to life? Uphill battle.

Ah, the joy of being basically lost. Now imagine if you hadn't had any DC metaknowledge at all? :confused:

Which makes about as much sense as anything magical, really.

Ah, so he could try and go beat up Rita. Whether it would work is up in the air.

I suspect Billy would be a little worried at this point, given he at least knows what OL can get up to if unsupervised...

And Zordon is probably feeling a cold sweat as he reads up on OL and discovers just what sort of person he is.

Oh, boy, is Rita ever going to have a headache after this day. Especially if OL turns out to be more impressive than Baboo realised when he tried to summon him. :confused: ...And I just realised I assumed that's what he had planned to do. What if he'd been trying to call forth something nastier from the comic and got OL by accident?

20. Lord Ernest

Is it me or that was some really awkward conversation?

At least it seems like this Copy-Paul now has an idea or direction. If it's magic that he needs to keep existing, the best source is precisely the one that originally provided it or something similar.

Does he know where Rita's base is exactly or will he have to search for it on the Moon? Like, is it hidden or protected in anyway, or are they that cocky/idiotic to just not bother with it?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Thundersmight94

Thundersmight94 Making the rounds.

I feel like Paul is misinterpreting the information, while he is a facsimile of Paragon Paul, he can’t be a fake because he has information pertaining to the reality of power rangers that neither Baboo or Rita could have given him. Therefore while his template exists in the dc universe, it technically isn’t wrong that he is not a fictional character.

22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

"Same with putting my mind into a really powerful computer. I'd have to build it with local parts and program it with…" I shake my head. "Basically, it's not viable. And the little magic I can do myself doesn't appear to work here due to this being a different universe."

He didn't state it was inherently impossible, he was claiming he couldn't do it with the local technology.

Now that part seems iffy to me, considering Zordon and Alpha 5 made the Robot Rangers, apparently sapient robots with the memories and personalities of the Turbo Rangers.

So even if Zordon doesn't have the technology right here and now, apparently the requisite technology should exist.

23. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

That was pretty much what I was thinking. The very fact that he has knowledge of shit that hasn't happened yet in the PR universe, stuff that he as a "comic book character" from a comic made in-universe, has no right to actually know, means that there is more going on than just him being a fictional being magically brought to life.

Those were made on the planet Eltar, Zordon's home planet. It's reasonable to assume that Zordon simply doesn't have access to the means of producing them right now.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this before.
    Zoat, you've got Zordon from the Power Rangers Movie mixed up with canon Zordon. Movie Zordon needed his tube to live, canon Zordon doesn't. The reason canon Zordon needs his tube is because back when he beat Rita 10,000 years ago, it was a mutual KO. Zordon sealed Rita and her crew in the space dumpster, while Rita sealed Zordon into some sort of "time warp" that exists outside of normal space-time. Canon Zordon uses his tube to communicate with normal reality, but he's not actually in the tube. At least until the Liarian wizard Lerigot free's Zordon from the time warp so that he can return to his home planet and his family(and allowing Zordon to be replaced with Dimitria).

Of course, then Dark Specter and the United Alliance of Evil invades Eltar, captures Zordon and imprisons him in another tube so that he can be slowly drained of his power(which is why he's back to being in a tube during In Space).

Prince Charon, Ardy, Doccer and 4 others like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Oh, he still needs the technology.

There's a Wormfic somewhere around here where Taylor gets Necron technology, and the tinkertech review board keeps turning her inventions down for being too deadly. In the end they approve a cleaning machine which drops waste material into a pocket dimension because it won't be used in combat. One of the reviewers expresses surprise at her designing something so safe... And then another reviewer points out that there's no way out of the pocket dimension and no food, water or air there.

Cuchulin, Kiden, Rebu and 10 others like this.
  25. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘I think’?
    In addition to him supposedly having to build the technology, maybe it’s because people store their memories in their souls and a computer doesn’t? No idea how feasible that is, I don’t know shit about Power Rangers lore.

FeepingCreature and Mr Zoat like this.
  26. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Paul’s knowledge of local magic is non-existent. The closest thing to a local expert he has spoken to admits they have no clue what happened or how it works. Paul knows the multiverse is a very big place and its complexity has thus far defeated even the most advanced intellects imaginable.
    So where the heck does he get this irrational certainty that he was created by the potion rather than summoned through it?
    Particularly when this is the day he was expecting reality to be especially wibbly wobbly?

Cuchulin and Wivk like this.
  27. woweed

woweed Know what you're doing yet?

The DCU has a built in explanation, even: In Grant Morrison's Multiversity, our world is merely one in the multiverse, and the multiverses connect through comics, as the story of one universe resonates through themultuversal uncomcious, and inspires writers in another to chronicle it. One world's reality, another world's fiction. Hilariously, that's not even Morrison's metsfiction obession: Remember why Barry Allan chose his name and costume back in his first apperance? Because he was a fan of Golden Age Flash comic books, the same Golden Age Flash he himself would later meet in another universe. And he offers that explanation. In an infinite multiverse, some realities will appear to match other's fiction.

Cuchulin, Ardy and kraryal like this.
  28. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Imagine if he goes to Rita to hear her side of the story. She wants to conquer the world for Lord Zedd, right? What are their policies for governing it? Would it really be a bad thing if they took over? Oh sure they're evil alright, but looking at our own world with its corrupt politicians and greedy corporations at least Rita and Zedd are honest about being evil.

Cuchulin, Ardy and RamiroGalletti like this.
  29. Lord Ernest

But did Zordon not confirm that he is, in fact, a magical construct? An artificial lifeform created from the comic and powered by magic? He said to not be as knowledgeable about the Alchemy but he did seem certain about the nature of Copy-Paul and that anything he used his powers on would have no permanence.

I personally wouldn't take Baboo or Rita to be experts in comics, and only one issue was used instead of a whole collection, so the memories he has of Earth 16 couldn't have been just implanted by them. As such, it could be that the comic issue was used as a medium not only for the creation but also to draw a copy of the Illustres' memories into the magical construct.

Unless we are taking the option that Zordon doesn't actually know shit and was totally lying in the meeting they had, in which case, yeah, why would he think he has an expiration date? He should just be looking for a way back, no need to waste time on trying to prolong his existence.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Does he know for certain? No. On the basis of the evidence available to him is it the most likely explanation? Yes.

Zordon isn't familiar with the exact magic used, but he is familiar with the sort of things magic can do and how it does it. He's a good deal more familiar with parallel universe stuff, and is reasonably confident that his sensors would detect that.

Cuchulin, Duke Long, boo600 and 5 others like this.