• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I'm guessing this is sometime just before the beginning of 'Legend of Korra'.
No, it's between series one and series two. Amon was recently defeated, though that news hasn't percolated through to everywhere yet.
Though they're probably firebenders, which gives them a decent amount of ability to punch above their weight class.
No, just regular guards.
I pull the oars again, while on the bench across from me...
The guards wear red and black leathers...
Azula takes another calming breath.
...experience with looking like the old man I have allowed myself to become...
A quick refresh of the shrine...
Thank you, corrected.

I'm honestly surprised Paul, and the Orange Lantern corps more generally, are doing the whole Prime Directive thing. Does Azula not care at all about her people having only primitive technology?

She may want them to develop it themselves and to not be dependent on an outside source like the OLC.

In the show, Iroh went explained why he didn't.
I remember Iroh explaining why him defeating Ozai wouldn't work. According to the wiki he did take over when Zuko went to look for his mother. I don't remember Iroh saying why he didn't stick around in the animated series, rather than going back to running his tea shop.
I'm honestly surprised Paul, and the Orange Lantern corps more generally, are doing the whole Prime Directive thing. Does Azula not care at all about her people having only primitive technology?
They haven't been her people for seventy years.
She may want them to develop it themselves and to not be dependent on an outside source like the OLC.
That too. Orange Lanterns -and fire benders- focus on the fulfilment of their goals. Someone else just giving you stuff is off-putting.

"We should be able to calm things down within a day."

Within A Day

And I didn't do any of those things. But things are a good deal calmer now nonetheless.
I'll be honest given that this is Paul and with his luck I almost expected things to go off the rails.

"I thought we were supposed to stop the volcano from blowing it's top?"

"Alas it seems the spirits are even more temperamental that you were in your youth."

"Please this is barely a six on my rage scale."

"I'm pretty sure you never demolished an island."

"Never really got around to trying, maybe we should swing by the cabbage corp's island."

"MY CABBAGES!"

The way the comics set up the establishment of Republic City was really stupid and disappointing. As I recall, the colonies as presented should have stayed in the Fire Nation given that's what the people living there largely wanted.

Of course the comics also had Ursa turn out to be a pretty shitty mom in her own right.

The way the comics set up the establishment of Republic City was really stupid and disappointing. As I recall, the colonies as presented should have stayed in the Fire Nation given that's what the people living there largely wanted.
It's possible that that's what the writers wanted to communicate, but they may not have done the best job of it.

Laundry, Filed (part 1) New
13th April 2015
15:31 GMT

The Chief Superintendent extends his right hand to me across the desk, and I carefully take it and shake it. To my surprise, I spot him being careful as well. Enhanced strength? Some sort of on-touch ability? Not sure. Interesting, though. I'd had the impression that this place had started sprouting superheroes only recently, but the chance of a senior member of the police getting useful powers and ending up here while still maintaining a secret identity is astronomically small.

I also have to be a bit careful because I'm not shaking his hand with my actual hand. I'm huge, and while my illusory ward might be able to cover a lot of things physical contact isn't one of them.

"I'm Chief Superintendent Jim Grey, and this is Doctor Dominique O'Brien."

He turns slightly to indicate the careworn fifty year old woman next to him. I smile and extend my right prosthetic hand to her. "A pleasure."

She manages a wan smile, and her grip's even weaker than his is. Something's not right there…

She gestures to the seat opposite them, and I nod and smile and crouch down in front of it in a way which I've learned causes my ward to display my fictional alter ego to look as he's sitting in it.

"Thank you for coming in, Mister-" She glances at the binder which I'm going to assume contains a print out of my curriculum vitae. "-Grayven. How did you find getting in?"

"Not as bad as I'd feared." When you look a fraction of the size you are, navigating a densely populated city is not a good idea. That's why Himon invented hush tubes. "And the security in this building was a good deal less than I was expecting."

"Direct attacks against the intelligence services are -thankfully- quite rare." Chief Grey smiles, bringing his hands together in front of him. "So… Why don't you start by telling us what interested you in this position?"

I nod. "Well… I retired a little while ago, and my wife was getting annoyed with me hanging around the house-."

"This is intended to be a full time role."

I shake my head. "I'm fully physically fit. And I'd rather... Make myself useful. And given how narrow my.. speciality is, I was rather pleased to hear that you were recruiting."

"Yes. Ah…" He glances at Doctor O'Brien for a moment, then returns his attention to me. "We'll get to your past experience in a moment. Firstly, do you have any unspent criminal convictions?"

"Hah! Oh-" I raise my right hand. "-no, but… After a certain point they stop being crimes and start being policies, don't they? I'm sorry, would you mind-" I move my right hand to my neck. "-if I took this off?"

He shakes his head. "Not at all. We haven't got the air conditioning sorted out quite yet."

I take hold of the necklace carrying my amulet, pull it over my head, lay it on the desk and release, and there's the double gasp as they see my real appearance. More from him than from her. She's… Thoughtful. "I apologise, but when I saw the trouble that the minotaur chap was having, it seemed to be for the best. The-" I point at the folder. "-physical description I wrote there is entirely accurate."

"Yes, that had rather caught my eye." Chief Grey crosses out one of his notes. "Thank you for clearing that up."

"How does this-" Doctor O'Brien indicates the amulet with her pen, carefully not touching it. "-work?"

"I'm afraid that I'm not sure of the precise details. Fundamentally, light is a form of energy, and therefore can be manipulated. Shorten a wavelength here, lengthen it there…"

"And it doesn't affect the mind of the person looking at it?"

"No, I never really had much truck with glamours. Irritating things. Some of them gave me a bit of a headache."

Chief Grey frowns. "I.. shook your hand. What was I-?" I hold up the prosthetic arm and wave it at him. "I… See."

"Physical contact doesn't interfere with the light manipulation, but anyone feeling something they couldn't see would realise something was up fairly quickly."

"… Right. Are you able to produce more of these devices?"

I consider asking if he's talking about the arm, but decide that's not an appropriate route to follow during a job interview. "No, but I know people who can make them and I'm happy to put you in touch. Regardless of whether my application is successful or not. I, ah…" I gesture to the folder with my open right hand. "Listed my innate abilities.. in.. that…"

Chief Grey flicks through. "Yes. I see here you say that you don't know precisely how strong you are."

"I can bend steel girders, but… Super strength is quite a good deal harder to measure than people realise. For example, I have no innate way to spread pressure around. If I tried to lift a.. passenger plane, for example, the plane would most likely break around my hands as it failed to support its own weight. Similarly, I can't punch at full force because I'm still held in place by the friction my feet generate against the ground." I make a circling motion with my right hand. "Equal and opposite reaction… My experience is that unarmed super strength fighting is all about grappling."

"Resilience… Immune to small arms. Immune to infantry support weapons. Highly resistant to anti-tank weapons."

"Immune, if I'm wearing armour."

He looks up at me.

"'Survived a point blank nuclear explosion'?"

I nod. "A suitcase device. It was a while ago and I've gotten tougher since, but I felt that a familiar point of reference would be more useful to you than… Talking about some of the more exotic weapons I've been hit by over the years. If you want me to stand in front of a wrecking ball to demonstrate..?"

"I.. don't think that will be necessary." He checks his notes again. "And… 'God of Conquest'?"

"I can enhance the offensive, defensive and administrative powers of those around me."

Something about that gets Dr O'Brien's attention. "'Administrative'?"

"If the administrator and I are aligned in purpose, I can… Grant them a greater instinct for organisation. A greater understanding of processes and a resistance to distraction."

"You can affect their minds?"

"Ah… Indirectly, yes. Essentially they.. gain part of my capacity. I don't get any direct control. They aren't even compelled to use it."

She leans forward, regarding me rather intensely. "And where does your capacity come from?"

"That's.. a bit.. difficult to explain. Essentially, I have a very small fragment of something call 'the Source' as.. the core of my soul. My capacity comes from the fact that that capacity exists in the universe. I just have.. more than my fair share of it."

"And is this 'Source' aware of you?"

"Ooh… Now you're getting into theology. I think the answer is: 'yes, but not much more than it is everything else all of the time'. I've never spoken to it-." Ah. "Alright, I shouted at it once, but I've never had any direct communication back."

She's still watching me intently, but I think I see a confused frown directed her way by Chief Grey. She looks away, leaning back slightly to allow him to take over.

"And I see that you have listed extensive law enforcement experience."

I nod. "Yes, particularly in the area of people with exotic abilities. In the case of this job, I believe that my practical experience of dealing with threats outside the normal range of human abilities will be particularly useful to you."

"Would you mind explaining that?"

"Humans -for the most part- fight using their hands. Guns and knives are hand held, handcuffs are the normal way of limiting their ability to fight. But when you're fighting someone who can -for example- shoot fire out of their eyes… And may have other abilities, immobilising their hands does not mean that you've won. You ask them to surrender, they raise empty hands, you step forward and fwoosh! The Met need a new Chief Superintendent."

"Ah." He chuckles nervously. "Yes."

"Similarly, disabling injuries do not necessarily mean that the assailant is not still a current threat. Any number of exotic abilities are not weakened by a lack of physical strength. On a more upbeat note, I also have experience in training and coordinating people with exotic abilities, helping them get the best out of their abilities and how to be most effective in the field. And as you can see from my CV, I'm used to fighting in that fashion."

He nods. "Thank you, Mister Grayven. Oh, ah, just one other question. I notice that you're not a British Citizen. Do you already have a tier two visa?"

Darn.

On my way out I send in the minotaur and stab the lizardman in the face with the Sword of the Fallen. I can't believe I just washed out of a job interview for I job I know more about that the interviewers!

I mean, what's not to like about me?

Last edited:
I believe they should've asked Grayven whether he can do high-level maths calculations in his head e.g. string theory or instinctive comprehension of quantum phenomenon's. Only then they would know if he could be one of possible events leading to CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN.

The source existing in the laundry files would likely just get conflated with the sleeper or something. Considering at least one of the superhumans they're interviewing is the black pharaoh, I do wonder if Grayven is gonna get in now or get contacted a few books later when shit really hits the fan.

For those confused, Grayven is now in the laundry files book series, which is a universe where superpowers have only appeared very recently - in the 4th or 5th book exclusively, in fact, as a consequence of the walls between realities growing increasingly thin. Before that everyone had to rely on running rituals as software in their portable computing devices.

How is renegade traveling the multiverse so casually?

I didn't think about the dcu at all because it was part of the April fools thing.

But did he crack traveling to other realities whenever he feels like it at some point?

Equestria was because of the mirror existing and them getting the data from the already established connection right?

13th April 2015
15:31 GMT

The Chief Superintendent extends his right hand to me across the desk, and I carefully take it and shake it. To my surprise, I spot him being careful as well. Enhanced strength? Some sort of on-touch ability? Not sure. Interesting, though. I'd had the impression that this place had started sprouting superheroes only recently, but the chance of a senior member of the police getting useful powers and ending up here while still maintaining a secret identity is astronomically small.
Interesting. A Renegade segment, so soon after his last little adventure? I honestly have no idea of what universe this one might be, but I get the feeling it'll be amusing.

I also have to be a bit careful because I'm not shaking his hand with my actual hand. I'm huge, and while my illusory ward might be able to cover a lot of things physical contact isn't one of them.

"I'm Chief Superintendent Jim Grey, and this is Doctor Dominique O'Brien."
Names don't ring any bells, sadly.

He turns slightly to indicate the careworn fifty year old woman next to him. I smile and extend my right prosthetic hand to her. "A pleasure."

She manages a wan smile, and her grip's even weaker than his is. Something's not right there…
Heh. Getting around the physical limitations of his physique in such amusing ways.

She gestures to the seat opposite them, and I nod and smile and crouch down in front of it in a way which I've learned causes my ward to display my fictional alter ego to look as he's sitting in it.

"Thank you for coming in, Mister-" She glances at the binder which I'm going to assume contains a print out of my curriculum vitae. "-Grayven. How did you find getting it?"
A job interview? How mundane. I guess Luna was serious about him finding something to do.

"Not as bad as I'd feared." When you look a fraction of the size you are, navigating a densely populated city is not a good idea. That's why Himon invented hush tubes. "And the security in this building was a good deal less than I was expecting."

"Direct attacks against the intelligence services as -thankfully- quite rare." Chief Grey smiles, bringing his hands together in front of him. "So… Why don't you start by telling us what interested you in this position?"
Well, quite rare when the Renegade isn't involved yet, anyway.

I nod. "Well… I retired a little while ago, and my wife was getting annoyed with me hanging around the house-."

"This is intended to be a full time role."
He's not going to have any trouble commuting, at least.

I shake my head. "I'm fully physically fit. And I'd rather... Make myself useful. And given how narrow my.. speciality is, I was rather pleased to hear that you were recruiting."

"Yes. Ah…" He glances at Doctor O'Brien for a moment, then returns his attention to me. "We'll get to your past experience in a moment. Firstly, do you have any unspent criminal convictions?"
'Unspent' as in not served? Not in this universe... Yet.

"Hah! Oh-" I raise my right hand. "-no, but… After a certain point they stop being crimes and start being policies, don't they? I'm sorry, would you mind-" I move my right hand to my neck. "-if I took this off?"

He shakes his head. "Not at all. We haven't got the air conditioning sorted out quite yet."
...Ah, they think you mean a jacket? Oh, are they ever in for a surprise.

I take hold of the necklace carrying my amulet, pull it over my head, lay it on the desk and release, and there's the double gasp as they see my real appearance. More from him than from her. She's… Thoughtful. "I apologise, but when I saw the trouble that the minotaur chap was having, it seemed to be for the best. The-" I point at the folder. "-physical description I wrote there is entirely accurate."
...At least they're nominally equal-opportunity employers?

"Yes, that had rather caught my eye." Chief Grey crosses out one of his notes. "Thank you for clearing that up."

"How does this-" Doctor O'Brien indicates the amulet with her pen.\, carefully not touching it. "-work?"
I take it such arcane effects are rather less common around here, and there's hidden dangers involved.

"I'm afraid that I'm not sure of the precise details. Fundamentally, light is a form of energy, and therefore can be manipulated. Shorten a wavelength here, lengthen it there…"

"And it doesn't affect the mind of the person looking at it?"
...Definitely a concern, it seems, if the brief blurb was anything to go by.

"No, I never really had much truck with glamours. Irritating things. Some of them gave me a bit of a headache."

Chief Grey frowns. "I.. shook your hand. What was I-?" I hold up the prosthetic arm and wave it at him. "I… See."
I kind of picture him either holding it in his hand like one of those extendo-grip toys, or having it strapped on sticks underneath his forearm... x3

"Physical contact doesn't interfere with the light manipulation, but anyone feeling something they couldn't see would realise something was up fairly quickly."

"… Right. Are you able to produce more of these devices?"
Since, going by the mention of a minotaur, they are in need of optical concealment measures without mental effects...

I consider asking if he's talking about the arm, but decide that's not an appropriate route to follow during a job interview. "No, but I know people who can make them and I'm happy to put you in touch. Regardless of whether my application is successful or not. I, ah…" I gesture to the folder with my open right hand. "Listed my innate abilities.. in.. that…"

Chief Grey flicks through. "Yes. I see here you say that you don't know precisely how strong you are."
Except maybe on a relative scale of 'Captain America' to 'Superman (Silver Age)'...

"I can bend steel girders, but… Super strength is quite a good deal harder to measure than people realise. For example, I have no innate way to spread pressure around. If I tries to lift a.. passenger plane, for example, the plane would most likely break around my hands as it failed to support its own weight. Similarly, I can't punch at full force because I'm still held in place by the friction my feet generate against the ground." I make a circling motion with my right hand. "Equal and opposite reaction… My experience is that unarmed super strength fighting is all about grappling."
A matter of physics, really. Just because he is strong doesn't mean the world is too.

"Resilience… Immune to small arms. Immune to infantry support weapons. Highly resistant to anti-tank weapons."

"Immune, if I'm wearing armour."
Force-fields, baby. Between Rings, New God tech and sheer orneriness...

He looks up at me.

"'Survived a point blank nuclear explosion?'"
Note that 'survived' does not mean 'unaffected by'. He was a bit charred afterwards.

I nod. "A suitcase device. It was a while ago and I've gotten tougher since, but I felt that a familiar point of reference would be more useful to you than… Talking about some of the more exotic weapons I've been hit by over the years. If you want me to stand in front of a wrecking ball to demonstrate..?"

"I.. don't think that will be necessary." He checks his notes again. "And… 'God of Conquest'?"
...Somehow, I don't get the feeling they get actual gods turning up looking for work. There's probably a cognito-hazard concern or the like...

"I can enhance the offensive, defensive and administrative powers of those around me."

Something about that gets Dr O'Brien's attention. "'Administrative'?"
Bet that'd be popular in government work.

"If the administrator and I are aligned in purpose, I can… Grant them a greater instinct for organisation. A greater understanding of processes and a resistance to distraction."

"You can affect their minds?"
...Okay, maybe not so popular.

"Ah… Indirectly, yes. Essentially they.. gain part of my capacity. I don't get any direct control. They aren't even compelled to use it."

She leans forward, regarding me rather intensely. "And where does your capacity come from?"
Getting ideas about utilising it for others, perhaps? Magic apparently being a known quantity around here.

"That's.. a bit.. difficult to explain. Essentially, I have a very small fragment of something call 'the Source' as.. the core of my soul. My capacity comes from the fact that that capacity exists in the universe. I just have.. more than my fair share of it."

"And is this 'Source' aware of you?"
An interesting question. If it is, it's probably enjoying his discomfort and occasional suffering. ;)

"Ooh… Now you're getting into theology. I think the answer is: 'yes, but not much more than it is everything else all of the time'. I've never spoken to it-." Ah. "Alright, I shouted at it once, but I've never had any direct communication back."

She's still watching me intently, but I think I see a confused frown directed her way by Chief Grey. She looks away, leaning back slightly to allow him to take over.
And that's not as in a 'shouting at the heavens' way, either. I don't remember it, but he has been close to the Source Wall and had a talk at least once.

"And I see that you have listed extensive law enforcement experience."

I nod. "Yes, particularly in the area of people with exotic abilities. In the case of this job, I believe that my practical experience of dealing with threats outside the normal range of human abilities will be particularly useful to you."

"Would you mind explaining that?"
Supervillains, basically. The kind that are immune to bullets, for instance.

"Humans -for the most part- fight using their hands. Guns and knives are hand held, handcuffs are the normal way of limiting their ability to fight. But when you're fighting someone who can -for example- shoot fire out of their eyes… And may have other abilities, immobilising their hands does not mean that you've won. You ask them to surrender, they raise empty hands, you step forward and fwoosh! The Met need a new Chief Superintendent."
That's also an issue. And I bet they don't have the budget for specialised containment gear for those circumstances, either.

"Ah." He chuckles nervously. "Yes."

"Similarly, disabling injuries do not necessarily mean that the assailant is not still a current threat. Any number of exotic abilities are not weakened by a lack of physical strength. On a more upbeat note, I also have experience in training and coordinating people with exotic abilities, helping them get the best out of their abilities and how to be most effective in the field. And as you can see from my CV, I'm used to fighting in that fashion."
...And he has something of an ultimate 'fuck you' for the really nasty threats. Even if it does leave all that power floating about ready to be claimed.

He nods. "Thank you, Mister Grayven. Oh, ah, just one other question. I notice that you're not a British Citizen. Do you already have a tier two visa?"

Darn.
<facepalm> Foiled by his immigration status. Kind of embarrassing.

On my way out I send in the minotaur and stab the lizardman in the face with the Sword of the Fallen. I can't believe I just washed out of a job interview for I job I know more about that the interviewers!

I mean, what's not to like about me?
:D Do you want a general list, or itemised? And a bit rude, unless that Lizardman was some hidden major threat.

A little bit confusing, mostly because I hadn't heard of these 'Laundry Files' things before. But seeing the Renegade try to steamroll a job interview by dazzling his hosts with his good character and talents... That's funny. I'm guessing he's going to hang around here for a bit, going by the threadmark, so we'll get to see more of him dealign with these folks...

How is renegade traveling the multiverse so casually?

I didn't think about the dcu at all because it was part of the April fools thing.

But did he crack traveling to other realities whenever he feels like it at some point?

Equestria was because of the mirror existing and them getting the data from the already established connection right?
Zoat made it so motherbox/fatherbox can boomtube between realities.

That interviewer is either getting sacked or promoted; and I'm not sure which.
Well, she's the new head of the department of superhuman affairs. Unlikely to get promoted, and he's not even the strongest superhuman that walks into that room. She's just a little worried about potential mind control and the fact that the "source" he mentions sounds like any number of lovecraftian horrors she knows is trying to invade that universe.

"getting in"
"services are"
Me said:
indicates the amulet with her pen.\, carefully
"'Survived a point blank nuclear explosion?'"
Thank you, corrected.
That interviewer is either getting sacked or promoted; and I'm not sure which.
Neither. The team they were interviewing for is essentially the distraction team while long-term Laundry associates make up the actual team.

Laundry! Laundry! Laundry!

Also, is Grayven going to mention he overthrew the UK's government once already?

Edit: Honestly at this point, you just need Delta Green and you've basically covered my TTRPG reading from the past week.

Last edited:
The Eater of Souls isn't being promoted based on how he handled an interview, I promise you. And his wife is an Auditor or something, she isn't either.
This is the 5th book, so it's not Bob. She's not an auditor till the end of the book either. It's his wife and the police officer she's working with / cheating on Bob with at the moment during the superhero hiring section.

A little bit confusing, mostly because I hadn't heard of these 'Laundry Files' things before. But seeing the Renegade try to steamroll a job interview by dazzling his hosts with his good character and talents... That's funny. I'm guessing he's going to hang around here for a bit, going by the threadmark, so we'll get to see more of him dealign with these folks...

Never read the series but I've heard of it- Lovecraftian tradecraft series in which magic is applied mathematics which connects one to another dimension where microscopic Lovecraftian beasties who think brain matter is delicious live, so it's safer to make computer programs that let cell phones and other computerized devices do the magic for you.

Hadn't heard about them getting supers though, having looked it up, as the population of humanity grows it hits a series of milestones (among other factors) which weakens reality making magic easier and letting ultraterrestrials come by for a visit.

Never read the series but I've heard of it- Lovecraftian tradecraft series in which magic is applied mathematics which connects one to another dimension where microscopic Lovecraftian beasties who think brain matter is delicious live, so it's safer to make computer programs that let cell phones and other computerized devices do the magic for you.

Hadn't heard about them getting supers though, having looked it up, as the population of humanity grows it hits a series of milestones (among other factors) which weakens reality making magic easier and letting ultraterrestrials come by for a visit.
This is only partially true. The superhumans are the losers of the genetic lottery - people who can - at the expense of gradual incurable brain damage - cast spells automatically and uncontrollably. Part of the appeal of the series is that things gradually escalate until a full on invasion by lovecraftian entities - Cthulhu in the US and the Black Pharaoh becoming prime minister in the UK due to lack of other choice to stop Cthulhu I think?

The walls of reality are only starting to break in this book - making the spell casting much easier and creating superhumans. Of course one of the people that comes to interview is a conduit for the black pharaoh himself in disguise as a standard banker type - whose main demonstrated ability is very strong mind control that overwhelms most wards and affinity with beaurocracy. The fact that Grayven didn't trigger her wards must be making bells go off like crazy in O'Brien's head. This would totally get him on some sort of watch list, which is probably what he wants.

Last edited:
It's been several years since I read the books but I had a thought. It would be kinda funny if Grayven got misidentified as some new type of Atlantean after this. Grey skin, much better tech than anyone on the surface, access to nukes, etc… Still, I'm very interested in where Zoat will thanks this or if it's just a single snippet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back