1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Sapient Megadungeon is You (Generic D&Dish fantasy)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Darkened, Apr 1, 2014.

1. WastingPixies

WastingPixies Know what you're doing yet?

[X]Monster 1
    [X]Magic 2
    [X]Layout 2

[X] "Huh. The others have stopped moving entirely. I wonder why." Then leave her in silence.
    - [X] If she tries to ask things, or let her escape, "Okay, I'll just- Oh! No, no, I am not supposed to chat with prisoners! How silly of me!" then start humming.

2. drake_azathoth

drake_azathoth Fabulously Evil

[X] Raise monsters to 2 (Costs 5 lives)
    [X] Raise magic to 2 (Costs 4 lives)

[X] Leave her be.

Just to point out - it would hugely advantageous if she starts to think that the others abandoned her rather than dying. I don't think we can pull off a con to make her think that, but leave her alone without revealing they're dead and she may come to that conclusion. >:D

edit: Not that we can't lie to her if she asks. I imagine at SOME point she will try to ask us, at which point we can explain that they did come back, realized she was trapped, and decided to just keep moving rather than worry about her slow death from starvation.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  3. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/10/donald-o-hebb-effects-extreme-isolation

[X] Leave her in an empty little room for a few days, then start whispering to her.
    -->[X] Tell her her friends betrayed her. They took the gold and they left her here, in the darkness. But that's okay. You'll be her friend. You'll never leave her. You'll bring her food, so she doesn't starve. You'll give her water, so she won't shrivel and die.
    -->[X] You'll be the best, closest friend she's ever had. And she'll love you. Sooner or later.

4. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

[X] Leave her in an empty little room for a few days, then start whispering to her.
    -->[X] Tell her her friends betrayed her. They took the gold and they left her here, in the darkness. But that's okay. You'll be her friend. You'll never leave her. You'll bring her food, so she doesn't starve. You'll give her water, so she won't shrivel and die.
    -->[X] You'll be the best, closest friend she's ever had. And she'll love you. Sooner or later.

5. Darik29

Darik29 Verified Delicious

[X]Monster 1
    [X]Magic 2
    [X]Layout 2

[X] Leave her.

Need to increase Layout, make it high enough and we can build Real chasms. Magic needs to increase so we can make our Wizards Lair story better. Hey, Layout is the thing that lets us futz around with Decoration, Right? Alongside giving us more room to muck about with.

Here's hoping we can create an actual, crude library sometime soon, filled with some spells that are worthwhile. And hell, who knows. Nifty things are Sure to abound, once our stats get high enough.

Now, next adventurers that come, I say we don't try too hard to kill them. We don't want our Danger rating to go up too high, after all. And I think with Magic and Layout 2, we can successfully pull off a real Wizards abode, if only incredibly crudely.

6. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

7. Darik29

Ah hey, Monster 1/Magic 2/Layout 2 leaves us with 2 lives left, and I know what we should spend them on.

[X]Monster 1
    [X]Magic 2
    [X]Layout 2
    --[X] Improve tripwires to "ordinary" (cost 1 life)
    --[X] Obtain Pressure Plate subtype "Specific Weight" (cost 1 life)

We desperately need to improve our Tripwires, there so obvious it hurts, and Specific Weight opens the way for all sorts of nifty shenanigans.

This spends all of our Lives, and upgrades the most stuff. Awesomeness is awesome.

8. Doom12394

Doom12394 Know what you're doing yet?

Combine Darik29 and Vanthor
    [X]Monster 1
    [X]Magic 2
    [X]Layout 2

If nothing else we can use her as bait for traps and stuff and it will help make things more real.

9. Drakebane

Drakebane Well worn.

[X]Monster 1
    [X]Magic 2
    [X]Layout 2

10. Legend of Ruina

Legend of Ruina Moderator

[X] "Huh. The others have stopped moving entirely. I wonder why." Then leave her in silence.
    - [X] If she tries to ask things, or let her escape, "Okay, I'll just- Oh! No, no, I am not supposed to chat with prisoners! How silly of me!" then start humming the same base tune over and over while slightly off key and constantly doing mild subtle alterations to the tempo and pitch.

11. megrisvernin

megrisvernin Connoisseur.

...and we're trying to brainwash her. Welp we've just hit one of my uncomfortable buttons. I'll pass on voting this go around.

12. Robotninja

Robotninja Connoisseur.

We are a serial killer dungeon. If we are not evil, I am very, very very surprised.

13. ReinZero

ReinZero QQ voters, geniuses at opposing their own goals.

Brainwash is... useful. If not valuable to use for later purposes. ^_^

14. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

Don't be daft. Every option before mine had equal intent to break her for later use.

Mine is just forthright in it's total dickishness and evil. And also less likely to fail due to hamhandedness or forgetting some minor detail like 'People made of meat need food to eat' or something.

15. Darik29

So, anyone else feel like updating there votes and purchasing the easiest of Trap Upgrades?

Because lets be honest, our Tripwires are so obvious a five year old could avoid them, and our pressure plates are Incredibly crude. We need Sophistication, for what we wish to do.

Also, Variable Pressure plate could let us genuinely recreate a scene from Indiana Jones, Golden Idol and all. It could be a Glorious thing, my friends.

16. megrisvernin

megrisvernin Connoisseur.

I didn't single out your vote. I agree, every vote has some flavor of breaking her will...

17. ReinZero

To be fair, said tripwires (as is) can and do serve some use still.

18. EternitynChaos

EternitynChaos Once there was a Maiden...

yah, like when one got tripped by monsters running to attack the adventurers in one of the previous setups

19. Winged One

Winged One Not the Simurgh

Edited. I'm leaving one life in the tank in case we need to consume stored lives in order to live or something, though.

20. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

I did not forget that.
    I counted on that.

21. Fellgar

Fellgar Connoisseur.

[X]Monster 1
    [X]Magic 2
    [X]Layout 2

22. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

[X] 6 "Huh. The others have stopped moving entirely. I wonder why." Then leave her in silence.: (Jiven, Joebobjoe, Grosstoad, Eler0, BloodWitch1337, Deathwings)
    --[X] 6 If she tries to ask things, or let her escape, "Okay, I'll just- Oh! No, no, I am not supposed to chat with prisoners! How silly of me!" then start humming.: (Jiven, Grosstoad, Eler0, BloodWitch1337, Deathwings, Joebobjoe)

---[X] 1 With subtle alterations to tempo and pitch (Joebobjoe)
    [X] 5 Leave her be.: (EternitynChaos, drake_azathoth, Winged One, Robotninja, BFldyq)
    [X] 4 Leave her in an empty little room for a few days, then start whispering to her.: (Larekko12, Vindictus, Doom12394,

[X] 13 Layout 2: (EternitynChaos, Jiven, Doom12394, Grosstoad, Eler0, Darik29, BloodWitch1337, Winged One, Robotninja, Fellgar, Drakebane, Deathwings, BFldyq)
    [X] 13 Magic 2: (EternitynChaos, Jiven, Doom12394, Grosstoad, Eler0, Darik29, BloodWitch1337, Winged One, Robotninja, Fellgar, Drakebane, Deathwings, BFldyq)
    [X] 13 Monster 1: (EternitynChaos, Jiven, Doom12394, Grosstoad, Eler0, Darik29, BloodWitch1337, Winged One, Robotninja, Fellgar, Drakebane, Deathwings, BFldyq)

--[X] 3 Improve tripwires to "ordinary" (cost 1 life): (Doom12394, Darik29, Fellgar)
    --[X] 3 Obtain Pressure Plate subtype "Specific Weight" (cost 1 life): (Doom12394, Darik29, Fellgar)

[X] 1 Ordinary Tripwires: (Winged One)

[X] 1 Raise magic to 2 (Costs 4 lives): (drake_azathoth)
    [X] 1 Raise monsters to 2 (Costs 5 lives): (drake_azathoth)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The lives within you beg to be spent, to be broken down and eradicated utterly so that you may enhance the functions for your games. But first, you have a prisoner to taunt.

Oh Dear. The others have stopped moving entirely. I wonder why.

"W-what's going on. This isn't what you said was here, what are you..."

Okay, I'll just- Oh! No, no, I am not supposed to chat with prisoners! How silly of me!

In the face of her irritatingly irate screams, you elect to start humming. Wonderfully this process allows you to discover something about yourself. Despite the kobolds and the humans you've heard singing inside you from time to time, you have no real concept of music. Forming the notes, arranging the sounds to be pleasing rather than disruptive, making such simple clear noises is.. difficult.

You experiment a little, adjusting the sounds, adding in some more naturalistic effects. Unfortunately it doesn't really resemble any music you've heard. Though, the result does have its charms. Well, you have an audience, so you'll just have to keep practicing.

Being a sapient landmark is wonderful. You don't have to stop hunting to focus on shattering the souls of Petricia's friends, or companions. You don't really understand the relationships.

Firstly you turn to something you've been lacking. It just hasn't been the same since the kobolds left you. You spend the resources and concentrate on shaping them. Your capacity expands and you shift the dungeon, crushing any remaining beasts within. You believe your new creations are much better.

**Monsters increased to 1**
    **Kobolds were learned**
    **Bestiary was Unlocked (When the GM finishes making it)**
    **Dire Bats were Learned**

Small, almost humanoid forms take shape within you, appearing fully grown as the rocks pull apart to create a cave-system. Tiny and unintelligent, these kobolds unlike your original denizens are not truly alive so much as fleshy extensions of your will. To be sure they act on preprogrammed instincts rather than direct commands but, there sense of self-worth is negligible. They lack basic survival instincts such as terror or the urge to retreat. What's more, they possess an innate familiarity with your layout, intuitively knowing where to move to avoid traps, where to stand to be safe when they trigger, or how to trigger them themselves.

In the air above another life circles, attuned to darkness moreso than even you. The giant fanged terrors aren't really deadly so much as annoying, flying down on adventurers and ramming them with an odd savagery wholly unlike any natural bat might act. Less intelligent, and thus less aware of your traps than the kobolds, they should prove rather useful in the right situation.

Your mysterious powers, if you want to impersonate a wizard, need to be better. Increasing the effects there is but a moment's work.

**Magic Improved to 2**
    **Spellbook Expanded (As soon as the GM gets around to it)**

**Firewall was learned**
    **Ice Cone was Learned**
    **Fear was Learned**
    **Shock was Learned**
    **Levitate was learned**

You experiment with your new spells, delighting in all the wonderful ways they'll allow you to kill people. But you still need more. Three rooms just isn't enough to get everything you want done.

**Layout improved to 2**
    **Maximum Rooms improved to 6**

Oddly the effects here are more pronounced. From one large initial cave you've now grown larger, consumed more and more of the surrounding mountain into part of yourself. You can feel how you might change things.

**Change theme unlocked**
    **Theme unlocked: Mineshaft**
    **Theme Unlocked Underground Ruins**

You shift your arrangement, changing into a narrow mineshaft, then a series of ruined walls and stone rubble far easier to decorate than your base configuration.

**Layout 2+ and Element: Darkness: Theme Unlocked: Bottomless **Theme Unlocked Underground Ruins**

Lastly you rewrite yourself entirely, forming your body into a massive chasm without end, an empty sphere with a large drop right at the entrance. Extending simple stone platforms inside allows you to create a thin layer above the darkness. Unwary adventurers could easily fall off the platforms, and the pits you create in this configuration would be far from shallow. Of course it would be easy to lose a few monsters or the like as well.

**Magic 2+ and Layout 2+: Floating Platforms was learned**

Instead of a path you choose to create a series of smaller floating platforms, each acting as a room, or a series of steps to the next room. The gaps between these platforms, naturally, require adventurers to jump safely across or fall into agonizing darkness that seems without end. A worthy obstacle indeed.

**Doors was learned**
    **Traps 2+ and Layout 2+: Locked Door was learned**
    **Traps 3+ and Layout 2+: Trapped Door was learned**

And it's easy enough to make simple stone doors to separate your rooms from sight. Keying those doors to open on the activation of a trap, or only when a lock is picked proves no more difficult. Indeed, you're starting to look like a proper dungeon now.

Content to wait, you practice your humming, much to Petricia's agony, and hope for adventurers to come.

What theme do you want for your next party?
    [ ] Cave
    [ ] Ruins
    [ ] Mineshaft
    [ ] Bottomless Pit

How many rooms do you make your dungeon?
    [ ] Choose 1-6

And how do you lay out the first room?
    [ ] Enter traps (up to 18 total across the dungeon) Monsters (Up to 15 total throughout the dungeon) and spells (up to 7 cantrips and 2 normal spells in the dungeon.

Smuthunter likes this.
  23. EternitynChaos

EternitynChaos Once there was a Maiden...

What theme do you want for your next party?
    [X] Ruins
    How many rooms do you make your dungeon?
    [X] Choose 6

24. Winged One

Aw, we can't have a "lived in by monsters" theme with Layout 2? Can we have a hybrid theme or something? Like a cave for the entrance, with a locked door to some underground ruins, and pits for the treasure room? Also, how likely are the kobolds to domesticate the wild animals if we have them work together?

25. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

**Theme Unlocked: Monster Den**

That work?

Kobolds are very likely to be eaten if you want them to work together, or to kill the monsters in self-defense if you let them.

26. Jans

Jans That which smiles.

HeeeeeheheheHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The next time we get a full fledged adventurer we need to kobold wave tactics them. Someone is going to flip the fuck out if they see a large number of Kobolds behaving so ludicrously against their nature.

27. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

Bats Plus Fear Spell and trapped slippery floor in the darkness.

And we shouldn't have told her they were dead. Only eight traps and 15 Monsters?

Do bats come in units of five?

28. Winged One

Let's save that for when we're ready to deal with people knowing our true nature, thanks. :)

[X]Kobold-infested cave with a "secret"
    [X]6 rooms
    [X]Open with the usual creepy cavern, with a warren of 6 kobolds. There is a golden idol shaped like a particularly handsome kobold on a stone altar in the center of the cave, atop a pressure plate that shoots spikes out when there is no pressure on it. A mysterious magical-looking locked door (ruins style), placed such that it could have been plausibly missed by earlier adventurers, leads to the next room. The kobold's supposed homes contain small treasure chests with mixed silver and copper coins, except for one that has a trapped chest (shooting out poisoned needles from the lock) that also contains some gold and a few jewels. Do not speak until the next room.

My intention is to make our kobold-infested low-risk-low-reward previous self seem like it was a facade hiding something greater.

29. ReinZero

[X] Plan a2znut

[X] Ruins [X] 6 [X] Cantrip *1 Trap *1 First Room
    [​IMG]

30. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

You don't have an obvious/easy means of getting Petricia's clothing. A2z revised:

[​IMG]