1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exalted 3E Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

Some rains of projectiles and explosions are modelized as environmental hazard. There was one of those Essence 5+ Thrown Solar Charms (forgot the name, was it Maelstrom of Celestial Brilliance?) was described as 'thousand of blades of Essence lacerating spacetime itself' and modelized as an environmental hazard.
    Some swarm attacks (IIRC an insect/scarab spirit, can't recall which book) were also modelized as environmental hazard.

Basically, 'death of a thousand papercuts' only works if they are applied one at a time ;)

2. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

It was mentioned back when the Ex3 Kickstarter was running. In a this Skype convo that the Devs were having about future plans and such as one of the Rewards, they mentioned the possibility of doing an Exalted X WoD crossover. They also mentioned it as being an off the cuff sort of thing that they were chatting about between themselves and haven't even tossed the proposal up the proper channels.

They mentioned if they did so, they would create a distinct system for the book itself. They also jokingly mentioned that the cover would have one of those movie poster stare down fights between the Unconquered Sun and Caine.

I sincerely hope it never comes to pass.

3. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

Yes, but from distinct sources. Each arrow isn't necessarily an attack, but outside of mass combat every archer is.
    And, notably, this tactic can be negated in several ways. Firstly, Mass Combat. Ex2's mass combat is lacking and complex, but that's what it's there for.
    Secondly, defences against Coordinated attacks and a high base DV.
    Thirdly, a high enough Hardness can make defence almost unnecessary. An average archer's best shot deals about 11 damage, which is enough to overcome some artifact armour. Not all. Adding in charms and a DDV of 3 or so, and it simply won't do against accessible defences. At hardness 20, which some exalts can achieve passively for an entire scene or longer, mortal archers simply cannot do enough damage.

In the case of magically created bullets, however, the fact of the matter is that if are enough of them and they're a persistent threat, they're better modelled as an environmental hazard. If they're all aimed at once, they're one attack.

And if someone decided to abuse the system by calling each and every single one a separate attack, then there are both tick and action long perfect defences to hide behind before launching a perfect attack.
    Fight, or defeat? Because anyone can fight a Solar, unless that Solar's had time to apply social Charms.

4. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

WoDXExalted was one of the proposed settings for Shards of the Exalted Dream.
    In the same manner another one of the proposals was a setting that would exploit the popularity of MLP:FIM.
    The example that the Devs gave was a spray of bullets from a machinegun only counting as one attack, because the attacker only rolls once instead of rolling for each individual bullet.

5. Valette-Serafina

Or, as a more common example, a couple of slashes from a light sword, or a blur of jabs from a spear.

1986ctcel and Sydonai like this.
  6. Jarudazuigu

Jarudazuigu Sealed, for now

They certainly can stomp Incarnae wich are on par with Fetich Souls. Who can use Primordial Charms. Compared to EVERYONE else? They are half-step away from being Primordials in their own right.
    This is why I said that Ishavara needs to do impossible thing to become another Primordial.
    Not really? Above it's limited by the Star Vault. Below it ENDS in Wyld.
    Read the book about Mountain Folk. They know of around 15 levels that are extremely deep ... but then it begins slipping into Wyld-like stuff.

I never read that. Lets agree to disagree since it's a matter of interpretation.

I pointed out on stuff that supports my theories ... you just claim that I'm wrong. Care to point at stuff that proves me wrong? Like statement form Dev or stuff in books saying that everything I point at is not what I point at.
    The difference between our interpretation is that you think that it's wyld. When I write is as properly Wyld.

Creation is the center for Creation-Born, not for anyone else. And the Wyld is INFINITE. Contains EVERY possibility and impossibility.
    Creation is falling apart compared to Primordial Age. It isn't self-reinforcing, otherwise gods wouldn't be necessary to do regular maintenance. Wich they don't do because Autochton's X-Box is compelling.

And you ignore my examples of Primordial made Creation-equivalents ... to point out at Fair Folk stuff. That isn't nice.
    Check the fucking description of Death at the Roots. It can negate charms. And that includes ALL Perfect Defenses except those who have "defends from EVERYTHING, yes even that".
    How that is not-knowing about what I claim? It is exception to the rule.

Thus it isn't too far fetched to claim there is bound to be a hazard of the Wyld that can destroy Creation with a "fart" equivalent. Even Solards of the Solar Age weren't arrogant enough to claim otherwise, and did horrific experiments to try and prepare somewhat.

7. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

Citation needed as fuck. Hell if they can.

8. Valette-Serafina

No. They cannot.

Read. The thing. You mentioned.
    It doesn't end. Creation does not have a finite amount of down. The Elemental pole of Earth extends infinitely.
    The rule, in the core book, is as thus: In a conflict of perfect effects, Defence wins. Always. Zeal did not get round that. Death at the Roots does not get round that.

1986ctcel and BBJimmy like this.
  9. Space Penguin

Space Penguin Boring person

So even the tactic of trying to kill them with an army doesn't work. Why do people even mention this then?

How does one kill Exalted then anyway? What does it take?

I mean by this rule, no scifi civ can beat an Exalted.

Well rapid firing rail gun or anti-aircraft guns would be far more damaging but run into the problem that by Exlated rules, they can be ignored or just turned into environmental hazard.

lets not even bring up the fact that everything in Mage is magic in some way so. Bullets and whats propelling them could well be counted as shaping which renders the entire Mage verse incapable of doing anything against Exalted.

Fight with possibility of wining otherwise why bother?

Exalted My Little Pony :eek: . No, just no.

So singleshot rifles lots of men would be more effective. Lol. Exalted is bullshit indeed.

Its facinating how it tells all other settings, fuck you. You play by our rules now!! Where bow and arrows are pathetic but more effective then machineguns.

This would be hilarious to see to be honest. Unconquered Sun hits Caine but gets hit back with the effects of the Seven fold curse but he laughs it off cause perfect defense which causes capital GOD to get involved and it all rolls down hill from here.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    BBJimmy likes this.
  10. Valette-Serafina

The exalt in question lacking part of their defensive suite. These aren't innate powers, they're learned techniques. Some Exalted do not know them.

Very few are fully prepared for every kind of threat.

And even then, there are the human limitations they possess.

No more damaging than a war god's spear, and no more accurate either.

Not all magic is shaping. Only magic that warps reality.

Furthermore, most shaping defences are personal. They function as a "You cannot shape me" rather than a "You cannot shape".
    Immortal princess of the sun? Check. Immortal princess of the moon? Check. Monsters everywhere? Check.

It fits in some ways. The tone would be entirely different, though.
    Bows aren't pathetic. IRL, a bow's about as dangerous as some rifles. Arrows hit harder.
    They're not as convenient, though. Harder to make, transport, store, and teach soldiers to use. Lower range, more susceptible to wind.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  11. Space Penguin

Space Penguin Boring person

The Exalt in question? Are you meaning about the Exalt that can be killed by armies?

That doesn't tell much. I mean I understand that Exalted are supposed to do Kungfu but they have defenses against even that. You yourself brought that up:

I was going for motetapping rather then one big attack which we know doesn't work.

Mage magic is warping reality and imposing what effects you want and what happens.

yes but they have perfect defenses and whatever else to take care of the rest.

I can see it. But they do shaping and we all know what happens to Shapers.

Pathetic to exalted characters is what I meant.
    Also pathetic in comparison to full blow machine gun fire or vehicle mounted machine gun fire.

I mean wasn't there a mention of Exlated being capable of taking on the Culture?

12. Valette-Serafina

Some exalted can be killed by armies. Some mages can be killed by some random thug with a pistol.
    Actually, some Exalted could be too.
    Not all Exalted do kung fu. Most of their combat is thus, but not all Exalted are combat capable.
    They don't win every fight effortlessly?
    Probably, at some point. There's a lot of things talked about.
    About that many who could conceivably threaten the Exalt. And even then, something like Five-fold Bulwark Stance or Flow Like Blood, coupled with something like Ready in Eight Directions Stance...

13. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

No they fucking can't.

The only one who even got close was Laashe who A) was specc'd for nothing else but anti-Sun duty, B) got as far as he did because the Sun(and probably the writers) forgetting his powers,* C) the Sun choosing not to just kill him outright, and D) still got instagibbed by Luna.

*Notably As Morning Reveals, which cuts through all manners of bullshit, like someone trying to deceive you and someone playing dead.

14. Skitzyfrenic

Skitzyfrenic Elves are for lewding.

It already exists. there's one where the mane six exalt, it's honestly pretty garbo.

But The Time Before is pretty good. All the Primordials make the various MLP FiM race gods lke celestia and luna but for camels and boars and giraffes too. Something something a mount for Ligier/UCS. They end up rebelling too, but via flight instead of usurpation, tearing a chunk of Creation off and fleeing into the Wyle, where they stabilize the section and divy it up. It's written like an old timey legend.

15. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

16. Skitzyfrenic

Thanks. on my phone hard to link stuff for other people.

17. Jarudazuigu

Valette-Serafina ... I feel like you are trolling me. But that can be only my wounded feelings, so lets drop it and don't argue over stuff where you don't even try to be convincing. No more hard feelings, ok?

To defeat the Fomorian Night, unshaped Ishavara as far as I know, Unconquered Sun used Daystar, the Anti-Creation scale weapon. Took him whole day with various insta-gib/infinity damage weapons on board. Take note that Daystar can fly with the speed of light. It implies that UCS needed Daystar to win against Fomorian Night.

Prince Lashee Morningstar baited UCS into breaking a solemn vow. UCS swallowed it hook, line and sinker like chump.
    With implied halp from The Ebon Dragon, Lashee self-ressurected from a minor Shaping stuff It inflicted on UCS.
    Lashee used Daystar's super-artifact-forge to make Itself more than awesome.
    Stomped UCS with mostly psychological tactics and some badass timing.

Incarna aren't all that special. Circle of pre-Elder Solars can slaughter every single one of them. I know since I lost a bet against my Players who used vanilla circle to murder the fuck out of UCS.
    You are inconsistent, fellow Quester. Because in next breath you mention a Thing wich bitch-slapped "Unconquered" Sun really hard.
    Citation? I saw used only generic Raksha Charms at first. After re-forging, though it looked like Creation was FORCED to accept Lashee's fair-folk fuckery as business as usual.
    Instead of working against it, as is normal. So no, I wasn't under impression that Lashee was anti-Sun specced.
    Really? It was quite well written that Sol didn't double-tap since he felt ashamed of being baited like that. Stupid decisions are still stupid decisions, despite all super-charms.
    After all, Primordials LOST.
    Nah. Sol was social-played by Lashee pushing all his Virtue based weaknesses like pro.
    Luna did not destroy Lashee. She crippled it with Sneak Attack, using anti-Wyld weapon, and unlike Dumbass Sun did not let Lashee have any initiative.
    In short, Luna is a badass monster and Sol is a dumbass jock.

Take note that there is no new Ishavara arising anymore. Guess who's a busy little bee and nips the heroic Raksha in the bud?;)
    It isn't Dumbass Sun, that is for sure.

18. Valette-Serafina

...You're going on my ignore list and never coming off.

19. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

Cite. Your. Fucking. Sources.

Primordials and Fair Folk are not the same.

Raksha can't ignore the progression of time.

And that's all I can bother to cite. When it is the one making the claim that should provide citations instead of going "it's totally true guys!"

1986ctcel, BBJimmy, Anondylar and 4 others like this.
  20. Jarudazuigu

*raises eyebrow*
    Okay. I'll PM you this when I find that stuff about Daystar and Lashee. It's not like I did not tell where I found that stuff, repeatedly.

I never said so. I merely suggest that since these are RELATED types of existences transition from one to another is not impossible. Within the Wyld all manner of McGuffins await.
    Because, unlike Creation, it isn't limited.

I hope you remember that Fair Folk aren't the end-all be-all in regards to the Wyld? There are alien Primordials there, and alien Creation-equivalents, if we stick with the known stuff.

And as far as I understand, Raksha are semi-symbiotic part of Creation. Their fundamental nature warped to conform with Creation's rules. Guess of what human souls are made?
    It is heavily implied it's the same stuff that Jadeborn are made of ... *stops himself*
    Where did I do?! Fuck!
    Whenever I claimed something I either said it is my interpretation of canonical stuff, that I find logical, OR pointed out where I read it.
    Why the fuck you are treating my disagreement with you as ... dunno, as if I stabbed the baby Jesus in his crib.
    God, it is tiresome.

21. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Okay, let me run you through exactly why Laashe should not have gotten anywhere with his little plan.

Let's start at step fucking 1.

Convince the Sun to make that oath in the first place.

Sol has As Morning Reveals. This gives him a constant effect of having All Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight and Measure the Wind at all times. In addition, he is also under the effects of Judge's Ear Technique, Eye of the Unconquered Sun, and Tireless Sentinel Gaze.

What does this mean? It means that Sol is constantly aware of everything around him down to the motonic level. It means you cannot lie to him without him knowing and cannot even tell half truths to him. Most critically here, you straight up cannot deceive him, full stop. Disguises, Deception, Illusions, magical or mundane fail outright to take him in.

So Laashe trying to trick the Sun? Stops here.

Even if he had some way to make perfect lies, that still runs face first into Perfection Beyond Imagining, which straight up crushes attempts to try and contest the Sun's powers. Not to mention, supporting Sol in any attempt at applying Social Fu to work out what Laashe wants beyond the passive effects of As Morning Reveals.

Next step, Surviving the Sun coming to kill him.

Lets start with the basics of this. The Raksha charmset does not contain perfect defenses. Or more accurately, it does not contain perfect defenses that apply to things other than Shaping Combat. As Shaping Combat is nonsensical Raksha games they can only play with each other in the depths of the Wyld, that amounts to the same thing.

Against the Godspear of All Searing Noon, nothing less than Perfection will suffice.

Even assuming that Laashe has custom charms providing a far more powerful defense than the Raksha Charmset can provide and assuming he had these before he became an Ishvara, his survival still requires the Sun to not fucking notice that he didn't die and that he's currently trying to hitch a ride on the Sun himself.

Again, this runs into the inherent difficulties of trying to hide anything around the Sun.

Spoiler warning, it doesn't work.

Then, of course, we have Laashe surviving anything that comes next, such as surviving jumping into something designed to burn the stuff of the Wyld into energy, then surviving mortal combat with the Sun himself, and of course the Sun not only refusing to vaporize him with the Godspear, but forgetting the Godspear can toggle so it only smites his enemies.

And finally, to bring things back to what I originally quoted about you saying Isvhara can stomp Incarnae, let's quote the Ink Monkeys passage where the concept of Ishvara were introduced;

Serious talk time. In every thread I've seen you discuss Exalted in, when you make assertions, you have everyone else who knows what they're talking about come to tell you "No, that's not it." Does this not imply anything to you?

22. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

When discussing things with discrete rulesets such as role-playing games, you should be able to back up your claims. You are not required to do so immediately, but if you disagree with someone and they want to know where you're getting your interpretation then it is only fair that you either do so or admit that you were mistaken. You could be remembering a house rule as a source book rule. I've made that mistake several times, so I know it's an easy one to make.

So I would like you to post either the paragraphs in question, with the book they're from, or the name of the book and the page of the information. This should prove trivially easy, and will immediately solve this little kerfuffle.

There. Everyone happy? I hope everyone will back off Jarudazuigu for twenty-four hours or until he posts his citations, whichever comes first.

Please quote this post if you have any questions.

23. Jarudazuigu

I found the partial citation, wrote it down there in bold. Thank you for the patience, and apologies for any inconvenience. I believed that putting big quotations in the thread would only needlessly escalate bullshit arguments.

Blame the fucking Authors, not me. Though I will let my imagination run wild and hazard a guess.
    Lashee's offer was fucking genuine! News at 11.

At that moment Lashee was among the big bosses in the Fair Folk courts. He begged to be spared Sun's skullfucking IF Lashee's forces don't move to attack Creation. Hint, they NEVER moved against Creation while Lashee was their overlord.

Take note that it was just a promise. All Sun had to do to keep it, and not breach his Virtue charm, to send someone else to kill Lashee's ass. Dumbass moment? Yes, because Authors did Sol act like teenage jock. Go figure.
    Two separate assumption charms, all it takes to survive. Assumption of [I'm a painting on the wall] and Assumption of [I'm that dude taunting Sol like there is no tomorrow]. Both are real and both are said Fair Folk. Infinite damage means jack if you lack Health Levels to apply it to. But Shaping defense would prevent it from happening to Sol, even with all his Virtues broken against Lashee. I believe.

I find it cringe worthy that Lashee used it mid-combat and Sol's excuse to be stupid was "annoyed he fell for a childish scheme hook, line and sinker". Again it wasn't me who wrote it so.
    *silly voice* Ishavara, it is implied that Lashee evolved to such state after Sun took his bait.

But yes, all the mechanics were ignored for the sake of story-time. By the author.

The only excuse I can find semi-plausible is that Sol we read statistics for is not the same as Sol we read about having his ass handed back to him. Luna nagged til he developed all the "I don't hold Idiot-Ball anymore" perception charms?
    It is heavily implied that Lashee became something totally unique after re-forging himself in the Daystar Workshop. For what we know Lashee could have changed the shit to make Creation accepting his Shaping Combat as if it was real from Creation-Born perspective. Thus Sol, who have no Shaping Combat Suite, got shafted in this regard being forced into Lashee's pace of narrative.

On the other hand, Luna have highest possible stats for Shaping Combat ... and like I mentioned before, sneak-attacked Lashee and cut off his Wyld core. Before punting him into Forge of Oramus. Her birthplace.
    Scroll of Errata, page 96. It is where stuff about Fomorian Night is written in mention. And Lashee, too. I lost my book about Daystar, where both Ishavara are mentioned in more than just passing. Sorry.

And using your own quote. Capable of battling against someone implies ability to beat them. Otherwise it isn't battle but the usual bullying.
    And every time I speak plainly that what I claim is my interpretation of purposefully left vague canonical stuff that I find logical? I'm branded as heretic for daring to blaspheme in the eyes of those people.

Let me check:
    My proof to the suggestion that Creation isn't unique speshul snowflake. Zen Mu, the realm created by Primordials as a prototype of Creation. I admit to not having the source handy. I read it in someone else's stuff, claimed to be canonical by the dude.
    Second proof is in the book about Daystar. The Creation-equivalent made by jealous Primordial of Sinew and Bones who wanted to ram it into Creation proper. Sol used Daystar's Anti-Creation ultimate weapon to wipe it off the face of the Wyld on Holy Tyrant's order.

And people take outrage when I suggest that if Zen Mu and the other Creation-equivalent were a thing, there can be other "worlds" like Creation in the infinite Wyld.

And lets end it without flame-wars. Things can be good, or bad but a lot of Exalted stuff is vague, contradictory or plain not mentioned. I am of the school of thought that claims "what isn't forbidden is legit" when playing games. It makes them more interesting, in my opinion.

24. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

He didn't become an Ishvara until he reforged himself. Not before.

It also doesn't mean "Stomping" them, which is what you said originally.

No, what happens is people try and correct you and then you dig in your heels and don't listen.

Creation is different from the other worlds that dot the Wyld. When the Primordials forged it, they drew the Shinma into alignment and redefined all things. Creation became the axis mundi of reality. Time and Causality spread from it. It was defined as the Center and all of the Wyld came to revolve around it.

Zen-mu was born from nothing save the interactions of the Primordials and after being discarded, it was left as "nothing but a graveyard."

Cajerrón was the working of one Primordial and he tried and ultimately failed to use it to replace Creation as the center of reality.

25. Jarudazuigu

Lets stop it. It is apparent you do not believe my "Creation isn't special" spiel, and I do not adhere to the "Creation is special" school of thought. Do we have agreement on that?

Sydonai likes this.
  26. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Sure thing, but let me leave off with this little bit from Compass of Celestial Directions: The Wyld;

Fayt, tighearnach, 1986ctcel and 5 others like this.
  27. Yzarc

Yzarc The Spark of Madness

So we have some news on Arms of the Chosen.

tighearnach likes this.
  28. Skitzyfrenic

120 xp? That's what I don't even. >.<

29. Valette-Serafina

And here I was hoping they'd let the Solar cock-sucking rest for a little.

Well, that's a lie. Hope implies I thought it was a possibility.

Setting that aside, saying great that often tells me that Mørke's either trying to build up hype, which is a bad idea, or he's got his head stuck up the ass of whoever wrote that section.
    I'll do him the credit of not assuming that ass belongs to him.

30. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

120xp for an Artifact's Evocations?

How about no, I'll spend that on other stuff.

kuradora, kinglugia, Sydonai and 3 others like this.