1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exalted 3E Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

Ah, but remember: It's Solar xp, which means you can't spend it on the only things unique to the Solar Exalted.

kinglugia, Skitzyfrenic and Sydonai like this.
  2. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Shit like this is why I've decided to put my faith in Scion.

And dear lord, is this a reversal for me.

3. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Artifacts are artifacts. Not sources of charms.... that you buy with more XP... just what the hell.

BBJimmy, kinglugia, Sydonai and 2 others like this.
  4. Skitzyfrenic

Skitzyfrenic Elves are for lewding.

+1 to that. Though I never got a chance to play the first edition, but I hear it was a clusterfuck of mechanics.

What I've seen so far of 2nd makes me tenatively hype.

5. Valette-Serafina

I can accept powers linked to artifacts. I can accept unlocking them, even with EXP.

However, I've no faith in the EX3 developers to do it right. Given what information we have, it seems my lack of faith is justified.

6. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

Right, something like the Weapons of Light from Slayers would be a nice example of that.

7. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

I'm trying to get the general consensus on 3e. This is what it seems to be:

GOOD
    - Combat system
    - Sorcerous workings
    - Some of the new charms are cool
    - Some parts of the map which were previously kinda boring are now less boring

BAD
    - Setting consistency is deliberately ignored
    - Tries too hard to be different for the sake of being different
    - Throws out multiple babies along with some reasonably usable bath-water
    - Some non-combat subsystems (craft, thaumaturgy) worse than previous, which takes talent

UGLY
    - Very slow release of new products, so right now you're stuck with Solar or nothing
    - Team has terrible PR

TELL ME ABOUT
    - Social combat
    - Social interactions which are not combat
    - Mass combat
    - Creation-Ruling Mandate (is it good to be the king?)
    - GM prep time (is it easier to run than 2e or 2.5e? how much?)

tighearnach, BBJimmy and Sydonai like this.
  8. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

If you want Artifacts to have entire suites of powers, that's fine. Costing development elsewhere is not. Have the Evocations unlock when accomplishments happen(like Black Wind from the corebook), or naturally overtime as XP is expended on other things(similar to how Essence increases).

No such thing as social combat, it's all social influence now. And it all depends on Intimacies. Can't persuade someone to do something without an appropriately strong and applicable Intimacy, or by using bribes(called a bargain action), or fear(called a threaten action). You can instill or erode Intimacies to give yourself the openings you need for persuasion, but strengthening them beyond the minor level or eroding one at all requires a supporting Intimacy.

You have two defensive stats called Resolve and Guile. Resolve is about resisting someone changing your mind, giving you a new intimacy, or eroding an existing Intimacy. Guile is about keeping your motives hidden, primarily used to defend against the 'read intentions' action, which can tell someone what your immediate goal is for a social interaction and with some difficulty, ferret out what some of a character's Intimacies are.

Mass combat is better in 3E, but that's not a high bar. Instead of units of soldiers being a pair of pants to put on, the battlegroup is represented as a character itself with certain changes to mechanics. A battlegroup can be enhanced by having a commander, and they get really scary when a commander has War Charms.

Creation-Ruling Mandate... it's not mentioned by name, and the best interpretation of what is mentioned is that it was given to the Exalted as a whole, not just the Solars. Not to my taste, as I prefer for Solars to hold the Mandate.

GM prep time... ha. There's no Storytelling chapter, so it takes some work.

9. Valette-Serafina

Disagree.
    Always an option with a capable storyteller and creative players.
    Better than it was, and no longer trying to use the same system as combat. Still imperfect.
    Would be roleplaying, no?
    Good, astonishingly.
    I don't recall seeing anything of the sort.
    It requires the total replacement of an entire system. Official Quick NPC rules may improve things if you haven't got a handle already; I do, so I don't see a difference.
    So, roughly the same. You'll need houserules, Exalts will still need charms, all of that.
    No improvement, and we've yet to see the clusterfuck that'll be extra charms in later books.

10. Sydonai

There is no support of any kind for cults, governments, or even large organizations.
    Attempts to ask the devs/writers for advice on the subject were effectively answered with "You are trying to play MY Game the wrong way!".

11. evildice

Interesting! I had been under the impression that the combat system was generally liked.

Can you talk about some of the 3e combat system's flaws?

Sure, but a sufficiently capable GM with sufficiently creative players doesn't need any rules, so that's not a useful yardstick to me. The new map isn't as good as some other maps I've seen, but it does seem to have a few more regions of potential interest.

That sounds pretty intuitive.

Uuuuuuuugh.

12. Valette-Serafina

Perfect turtling's gone, as are major flurries. Positive there. That said, the number of ways Charms interact with rerolls is... Dreadful. I covered that earlier in this thread, I believe.
    Charm reset conditions will be a pain to GM, of course.

The initiative system will require more bookkeeping mid-combat than Ex2 required.

The divide between what the player is trying to do and what the character is trying to do bugs me. I've always hated systems that muddle that up.

The range system is vague, and does not account for a combat with more than two characters. I've seen it before, at that. They had the time to come up with a fix for that issue.

Gambits. I see what they were trying to do, but the fact remains that Stunts are a thing. That's what stunts are for, and the framework they laid down is something they did no work with.

1986ctcel, BBJimmy, kinglugia and 3 others like this.
  13. Anasurimbor

Anasurimbor I trust you know where the happy button is?

I must admit I'm rather confused how expanding the Evocation system is "Solar cock-sucking".

14. Sydonai

IIRC Only Solars are allowed to have all of the Evocations, the strongest ones are locked out to other character types.
    Plus Solars can use the Evocations of any Artifact while other characters are limited to only Artifacts made out of their corresponding Magical Material.

15. evildice

I'll look for it. I'm certainly annoyed by the sheer number of dice-interaction charms.

Thanks!

Uuuuuuuuugh.

16. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Yeah......It functioned? at Hero level, but very soon started to explode with all sorts of pretty fireworks.

Storyteller was just not meant to model characters for a game like Scion.

I'm a bit more than tentatively hyped. Revlid's confirmed that he's one of the guys working on it and from both his commentary on things and from some of things the writers talked about during the kickstarter, a lot of effort has gone into not just the game itself, but also into researching the mythologies and cultures involved so they can have as accurate and respectful a portrayal as possible.

17. Stroth

Stroth Definitely not an AI

Third edition equivalent of Ox-body Technique confirmed.

Initiative is ridiculous to keep track of and holy shit don't even get me started on all the different re-rolls.

18. Anasurimbor

Not really. Solars are said to be the best at Evocations, but that doesn't mean that they are better than other Exalts with their respective Magical Materials, or even that they can necessarily access every Evocation, just that they can wield all magical materials with equal facility. But only Solars have a natural affinity for Orichalcum.

The big winner here is the Dragon-Blooded. Evocations are one of their big advantages, as they can forge deeper bonds with their Artifacts than any save the Solars. They have a particular focus on inheritance and heroic legacy—which is one of the things apparently emphasized in the new Evocations. Some rare DBs *cough* PCs *cough* can even learn to master tools meant for Solars alone.

19. Valette-Serafina

"Solars R teh Bestests Artifact useres evah!!1!"

It's a system they designed for Solars to excel in.
    Believe it when I see it.

On that subject, Creation isn't a functional setting without rules for the Terrestrial Exalted.

BBJimmy, Sydonai and Skitzyfrenic like this.
  20. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

Tool using is one of the fields of human achievement in which Solars should excel, especially if it is to forge a personal bond with a legendary item (*cough*NoblePhantasm*cough*)
    It's certainly more legitimate in my eyes that the quasi-sorcery 'summon artifacts and tools' in Craft.

21. Valette-Serafina

Yes, but alternatively they could have had good Craft Charms. A good Melee/Thrown/Archery Charm or two dedicated to the subject would have been good, too.

This is going to be just like Ex2 Sorcery.

BBJimmy, Sydonai and Skitzyfrenic like this.
  22. tehelgee

So, I had an idea of a Solar Eclipse Caste and their anima banner, and I thought of Biigoh.

Real tricky and deceitful type, good with disguises, maybe Sorcery too. Not serious at all, full of sake and food. Somehow slender and athletic.

Iconic anima is a really pudgy and sleepy tanuki, looks really Snorlax-ish. Big 'ol fluffy tail, swaying hypnotically back and forth. Big testicles/boobs optional.

Solar gets hit in a fight, tanuki flops over, flails ineffectually for a moment, falls asleep. Solar gets hit again, tanuki grumps, levers self up via tail, huffs, falls asleep sitting up.

A real entertaining character. In my head, anyway.

23. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Hahaha.... Amusing image Xd

kinglugia and Skitzyfrenic like this.
  24. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

*looks at Bii avie with big fat tanuki* Yeah, No. Only athletic thing Bii did in last months was walking to a liquor store. And calling a cab on the way back.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  25. Valette-Serafina

Don't be silly. Cabs aren't big enough.

26. evildice

Caste symbol obviously shines right through the leaf on his and/or her forehead.

27. Anasurimbor

Interesting. That's very different from my experience. I've found tracking initiative in combat to be fairly easy. Downright trivial if using a simple initiative tracker like this one.

28. Stroth

Stroth Definitely not an AI

If you need a spreadsheet to keep track of a basic combat system, then it's too complicated.

29. tehelgee

There's no formulas or anything else on that sheet, it's just an empty table. Visually easier to read quickly than plain text in a document. You could do the same thing with a blank sheet or paper, or even use something like a pair of ten sided dice for a counter.

The complaints about 3E's initiative being too complex or time-consuming to keep track of boggles the mind. You never hear that complaint about D&D's hitpoints, despite the same kind of bookkeeping.

30. Valette-Serafina

You might perhaps note that Ex3's Health Levels are more complex to track than D&D's hit points, and must also be tracked. I might also point at Essence, for that matter.

Sydonai likes this.