1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on Profile Post by Cambrian

1. tehelgee
    tehelgee
    I got 10.

Resolve the exponents and parentheses first. The equation then becomes 36/6+4. 36/6 = 6 so in the end, it's 6+4.
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122 and Enigmatic like this.
  2. Enigmatic
    Enigmatic
    Yeah, I also got 10. Ya gotta PEMDAS that shit. Parenthesis, Exponent, Multiply, Divide, Add, Subtract.
    How the hell did you get 58?
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122 and tehelgee like this.
  3. Cambrian
    Cambrian
    You resolve inside the parentheses first with PEMDAS, but all thats inside the parentheses is 3. So its really 6^2 ÷ 2 × 3 + 4. 36 divided by 2 times 3 plus 4. Division and Multiplication are equal in priority, thus its 18 times 3, not 36 divided by 6.
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122, SteelFeatherz and Enigmatic like this.
  4. Enigmatic
    Enigmatic
    It...seems you are correct. After checking the math (using a calculator), it looks as though 58 is, in fact, the solution.
    Well, I've never made it a secret that I suck at math.
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122 and Cambrian like this.
  5. Cambrian
    Cambrian
    That particular problem is meant to trip people up to be fair heh. The dumb bit was the dude's response to said problem xD
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. fredthebadger
    fredthebadger
    It looks like maybe he's being deliberately obtuse about how the multiplication of 2 and 3 isn't actually written in? But then he went off and gave an example that doesn't fit at all.
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    If something's not written into an equation, it's not part of that equation. This seems simple to me.

Multiplication cannot simply be implied. No indicator for it = It does not happen.
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. Megaolix
    Megaolix
    Huh. Not seeing what's the issue. Saw it, reached 58 in a few seconds. The (3) is just meant to trip you up, but you simply replace it with x 3 in your mind.

I don't even want to know what the person was smoking when they wrote that comment.
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    They were smoking the idea that adding functions to an equation when they're not there should never be required. It's about as valid as dropping verbs.
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. Orbnet
    Orbnet
    I do not think that division comes before multiplication. So there are two answers depending on what route you go by solving it.
    It's true, there is no "=", but I believe that the problem lies in the fact that we do not know whether to youse multiplication or divisions first.
    Depending on what we chose, we get either 10 or 58.
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. Cambrian
    Cambrian
    No, Division and Multiplication are equal in priority. Which means you solve them left to right. Division comes before Multiplication whenever it shows up to the left of Multiplication.

We definitely know to use division first in this instance lol, thats the whole point of the math problem, to trick you into getting 10. 58 is the only correct answer.
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122 and Orbnet like this.
  12. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    Cambrian, where is the multiplication symbol?
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. Cambrian
    Cambrian
    Megaolix already explained that above Valette. When you place a number next to a parentheses, you must multiple it with whatever is within the parentheses. That's why 2(3+5) for instance, would equal 16. And that's why 2(3) is really 2x3.

The equation is meant to trip you up. Here's an article that explains it further: http://www.madmath.com/2013/10/are-parentheses-multiplication.html
    Dec 4, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    No, Megaolix mentioned a way to alter the equation. There is a symbol for multiplication: That is not it.

It is an accepted error. A sentence lacking a key verb. Mathematics should not be so sloppy, and mathematicians should not accept such sloppiness.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. fredthebadger
    fredthebadger
    Not really? It's the syntax. There is no case where X(Y) means anything other than X*Y. You can't read X(Y) and get X/Y or X+Y or X-Y or X^Y.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  16. Megaolix
    Megaolix
    Errr... Valette, I did not. I simply meant that 2(3) and 2 x 3 is the same. Just that if you see it as 2 x3 in your head, it may be easier to read.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  17. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    (X*Y) would be correct. X(Y) is lazy and sloppy.

And actually, the use of X to represent values while it's already a basic mathematical symbol should stop. Q is a perfectly fine arbitrary letter. Use that instead.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. Megaolix
    Megaolix
    I'm... not even sure where that comment about letters come from.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. fredthebadger
    fredthebadger
    X(Y) is kind of the opposite of lazy, though? X*Y takes less work to write out.

I really don't see the issue, there's no ambiguity in what it could possibly mean to have a number next to the outside of a pair of parentheses. In every case, it means you multiply the number by what's inside the parentheses.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  20. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    The reply above yours by a minute, which I saw and missed your reply for.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  21. Cambrian
    Cambrian
    (X*Y) would not be correct, because the whole point of this math problem is to learn not to immediately use parentheses first for everything and to divide before multiplying, while (X*Y) forces the multiplication first.

As has been said, the point of the math problem is to trip most people up, so that they can then learn from their mistake. 2(3) is a perfectly valid way to write out 2*3 and it always has been.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  22. Cambrian
    Cambrian
    Here's the lesson this equation teaches, simplified: The majority of people learn PEMDAS, and immediately assume Parentheses need to be taken care of before everything else.

However, this is not true. What this equation is teaching is that the P in PEMDAS stands for "Inside Parentheses first" not "Anything Involving Parentheses First".
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  23. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    Inconsistent rules do not deserve to exist inside a system of logic. This lesson is entirely a result of a pointless and unneeded shorthand, and grants no benefit to mathematics.
    This is a constructed language. It does not need such nonsense.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  24. Megaolix
    Megaolix
    Valette, as far as I recall? Such trips are the norm in exams to see if you understand how to read and apply equations properly.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  25. fredthebadger
    fredthebadger
    Valette? The rules of math are not inconsistent. I'm not sure what makes you think they are, and would like you to give an example.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 and TotalAbsolutism like this.
  26. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    An example sits right here. There's no need for such convolution when clarity is less complex. A function does not need two symbols, and one symbol should not mean two contrary things.

And there's no need for a test to try and trip up students if the system in question is logical, an element that is core to mathematics.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  27. Megaolix
    Megaolix
    I'm starting to wonder if this debate should be taken on a thread.

Anyway, gotta disagree with you Valette. Given the low difficulty of the question itself, would use it to test young teens (10-12) if they can read equations properly.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 and TotalAbsolutism like this.
  28. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    If mathematics is to be a logical language, it should use one clearly distinct symbol for a given meaning. It should not use a symbol to mean two things.

Do you disagree?
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  29. Megaolix
    Megaolix
    False equivalence. It's the same way to mean two things. One may prefer one way, others another. 3 + 3 + 3, 3 x 3 and 27/3 give the same results, but it's done in different ways.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  30. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    What, exactly, is the difference between 3 x 3 and 3(3) in your eyes, please? Because you have told me they perform exactly the same function, but now you are telling me otherwise.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  31. Megaolix
    Megaolix
    I don't care to get into a math debate tonight. It's the same thing, written in different ways.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  32. fredthebadger
    fredthebadger
    Megaolix's saying 3(3)=3*3=3+3+3=3+(3+3)=3^2
    All of those equations are functionally identical and can be simplified into each other depending on what you consider "simplest"
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  33. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    Yes and no. 3(3) and 3 x 3 are given the same function, but 3+3+3 is more than one function, 3+(3+3) adds an extra step on top of that, and 3^2 is entirely different.

They share the same result, but that does not make them the same thing.

Given that we have now diverted from and back to the position that 3(3) and 3 x 3 are the same function, would you care to answer my question five posts up?
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  34. Cambrian
    Cambrian
    Math itself disagrees with you Valette. If you actually clicked on the link I tried to share with you hours ago, you should already know why this is the way it is.

The Parentheses aren't what's important. What's important is the simply fact that, "any two symbols next to each other, barring some other operator, are connected by multiplication."
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  35. Cambrian
    Cambrian
    The parentheses are solely there to keep 2(3) from being read as 23. 2(3) is no different than ab in an equation where ab=c is a times b equals c.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  36. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    I did follow that link.

Math itself doesn't have a will. It is a language directed by its users. If that is to be the basic relationship between any two numbers lacking an operator, then the multiplication symbol is entirely useless.

Justify this. Why multiplication, and not addition or subtraction? Why not inertia, a lack of any function?
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  37. Cambrian
    Cambrian
    I'm not trying to justify or decide anything here, so maybe that's where this disconnect between us is coming from. This is a rule of math. It has always been a rule of math.

I'm not going to try and explain it, because I didn't make it a rule of math. All I did was learn it in school, like everyone else did. Whether or not its a GOOD rule of math, doesn't matter to me.

Shit, I don't even like math...
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  38. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    At one point in history, multiplication did not exist. Mathematics predates multiplication. Someone decided to use the symbol x to mark their new technique at one point. Someone decided to define the relationship between any two numbers lacking an operator, and it was an arbitrary decision.

Mathematics is a constructed language. It is supposed to be entirely logical. This is not a logical component.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  39. Megaolix
    Megaolix
    Dammit Valette, this is not the kind of debate any of us can conclude. I mean, square root of 9 and 9 / 3 is still the same thing. Not any of us decided what symbol means what and why there are multiple ways to say the same thing.

What you ask us to answer is something no one on QQ (Unless one of us is an expert mathematician that learned the hows and whys here) can answer.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  40. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    If you can't provide reasons, why are you arguing? "It is because it is" will never be convincing.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  41. Megaolix
    Megaolix
    Question can be flipped back to you, I gotta point out.

Anyway, this is not going anywhere. Can we stop this now?
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  42. Cambrian
    Cambrian
    Because you've gone from saying "Multiplication cannot be implied" to saying "Math is wrong for allowing multiplication to be implied by juxtaposition".

Because, you aren't arguing with us anymore Valette. You're literally arguing with long dead mathematicians and the entire mathematical language. They're the ones who made the rule, and the rule itself is taught across the entire world to everyone.
    Dec 5, 2017
  43. Valette-Serafina
    Valette-Serafina
    It's not a question that can be reversed, Megaolix. I've provided my reasons.

This can stop at any time, but asking for it to stop while taking the last word is generally ineffective.
    Dec 5, 2017
    Ddmkm122 and FlagrantSplash1 like this.
  44. fredthebadger