1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on Profile Post by Plotvitalnpc

1. Plotvitalnpc
    Plotvitalnpc
    previous incarnation had in time, unless they actively reject that part of the memories. It's just, they won't get it any faster than in the prior life without focusing on it, and it wasn't enough for them last time. Make it less a quest about someone reclaiming a barely remembered powerset and more a quest about someone struggling to be /better/ than last time - to be good enough.
    Apr 8, 2018
    Valette-Serafina likes this.
  2. Plotvitalnpc
    Plotvitalnpc
    That might mean cultivating the skills they were already going to get sooner, and pushing their mastery further, or it might mean patching the holes in their proficiency that laid them low originally.
    Apr 8, 2018
  3. sunandshadow
    sunandshadow
    Yeah some of the most well-motivated rebirth or return-to-an-earlier-time stories I've read have started with the fact that some tragedy or disaster happened in the future and the MC couldn't prevent it the first time around.
    Apr 8, 2018
    Plotvitalnpc likes this.
  4. Plotvitalnpc
    Plotvitalnpc
    Basically, what I'm going for in this concept builds on that - it's not 'I need to train to reclaim the power I had before', it's "My power is coming back slowly, but I can either work to reclaim it faster or cultivate additional abilities to meet the horrors head-on."

Also they might not have actually reincarnated in their own original body, but who knows.
    Apr 8, 2018
  5. sunandshadow
    sunandshadow
    If they aren't in their original body, that should probably be developed as a major theme. It would be kind of odd to do that and then not talk about it much. Another thought is that as soon as they start making changes, or if they are perceived as a different type of person/being, they might not get the same opportunities as the first time around, making some skills difficult to gain or explain having.
    Apr 9, 2018
    Plotvitalnpc likes this.
  6. sunandshadow
    sunandshadow
    Are you doing a game interface story or one where the reset is a singular act of magic and they have only one mortal life to get it right this time?
    Apr 9, 2018
    Plotvitalnpc likes this.
  7. Plotvitalnpc
    Plotvitalnpc
    First off, I'm not really considering writing this. I just like throwing ideas out.
    Secondly, part of the premise here is that their soul bears the echoes of their past life, and as they age it will naturally carve their prior muscle memory and capabilities into them, at the same point in their life as they originally gained them.
    Apr 9, 2018
  8. Plotvitalnpc
    Plotvitalnpc
    If they train for something in particular, that can speed up the imprinting of that particular thing.
    The issue is, their original death is also marked on their soul. If they can't resolve things before the time when they originally died, their particular form of extemporal reincarnation will cause them to weaken and die in short order -
    Apr 9, 2018
  9. Plotvitalnpc
    Plotvitalnpc
    and if they can reincarnate again, an early death will shorten the time available to them in all subsequent loops. Possibly cutting off their natural recovery of certain abilities if they haven't regained them at an earlier point.
    If they can resolve the plot with enough time left in their life, they /might/ be able to find a way to escape the otherwise inevitable recurrence of their death.
    Apr 9, 2018
  10. sunandshadow
    sunandshadow
    As they age it will naturally cave their first life's abilities into them due to a soul echo... That's an interesting variation on the life redo story, haven't seen it before. Is it inspired by anything in particular? It implies an interesting concept of time; that the future exists before you get there, and the past exists even though it's apparently being rewritten.
    Apr 9, 2018
    Plotvitalnpc likes this.
  11. Plotvitalnpc
    Plotvitalnpc
    Not based off of anything, really, but the basic idea is this: the soul accumulates a record of everything that happens to you, physically and mentally in your life.
    Reincarnation is not a natural phenomena, but when it happens, someone's soul starts from the beginning
    Apr 9, 2018
  12. Plotvitalnpc
    Plotvitalnpc
    ...and as it overwrites any part of itself due to reaching the right temporal point in life, not only does that part get written onto the current body, mind, etc, but it basically gets re-transcribed into the soul along with the current life.

Because this person's soul has been sent back in time, this happens to be occuring in the past.
    Apr 9, 2018
  13. Plotvitalnpc
    Plotvitalnpc
    None of this is about the mechanics of time in-setting, where there is no predetermined future and is no true mechanism of destiny.
    It's just a quirk of how souls work, mixed with time travel.
    Apr 9, 2018
  14. sunandshadow
    sunandshadow
    I didn't mean a predetermined future; rather, one that's constantly being rewritten by what happens in the present. But if souls work this way,I do think it implies thinks about the mechanics of time. Specifically that time as a 4th dimension exists because souls are a 4-D shape of some kind, whether a tape or a loop. And so would be the past/future.
    Apr 9, 2018
    Plotvitalnpc likes this.
  15. sunandshadow
    sunandshadow
    The reason I think this is because the character's personal past is imprinted onto them progressively. That only makes sense if some metaphysical record or copy of their past exists in a linear shape which runs in parallel to their second life.
    Apr 9, 2018
    Plotvitalnpc likes this.