1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on Profile Post by inverted_helix

1. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    Ehh. I thought automata were super long/complex to build, but mecha have a massive handling/hauling advantage over normal humans. Having watched IRL lumberjack operations, a lumberjack team with a mecha assisting them could be wildly more efficient than a purely unmechanized team.

Plus, no chainsaws or mechanized drills/hammers without a steam engine.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    I'm going off the automaton shop taking months to build each unit, even though the computer shop is the one to build and program the computer. A mecha is just an automaton that replaces the computer with a cockpit so shouldn't be any faster.

I'd replace the lumberjack team with a steam tractor with a circular saw.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 and Persimmon like this.
  3. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    I'm kind of wondering if I should have put up a vote ditching Ivan. There's a lot of people complaining about him, but no one has put up a vote to get rid of him. I mean I gave up on convincing people not to take him before, but now it seems like there's more willingness.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    A forest is difficult terrain, though. This universe's mechs can easily handle the terrain, but even modern AFVs don't want to drive over tree stumps if they can help it.

If you can guarantee you us another source of heavy firepower I would be willing to switch away from Ivan. I originally thought Radium piles would be viable for colony expansions, but Shaper said 1 colony and vehicles at most -___-
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  5. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    I think it's pretty manageable as long as you cut off the stump low enough. Not like we're very likely to be driving on the ground instead of ice and snow anyway.

I still don't think we need heavy firepower. No one has really come up with where the giant army you need heavy firepower to deal with is supposed to come from.
    Jun 8, 2018
  6. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    I don't think we need to deal with an army or even a division (20k men) of conventional enemy, but I'm not at all confident that Harmon + mortars & MG can handle a Geniustech attacker.

There's no guarantee they'd come after us, but we know the threat exists, so...
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    As for industrial mecha, well, we'll have to ask Shaper on the cost efficacy. Considering the minimum useful size of Steam vehicles is 'a greyhound bus' mecha might not be so bad in comparison.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Harmon assassinating the genius is pretty much the most consistent way to deal with such a widely variable attack type. Though I suspect Ivan doing something stupid would be the most likely reason for them to come after us.

Also keep in mind Mecha have a similar size limit imposed by their steam engine.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    True, my point was that mecha go from horrifically inefficient (IRL) to probably manageable because it's competition isn't the paragon of economical sense either.

And you can't always assassinate your opponent or their key personnel, its just not very reliable.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Fighting tinkertech head on isn't very reliable either.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    Military, conventional, genius tech, and Intrigue responses are all part of a toolkit.

It's worth noting not all our colony sites are innately as defensible as Morgan HQ.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  12. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    What would conventional be if not military?

Chesapeake I simply don't expect to survive the fall of civilization, it's that indefensible. Saltworks it's hard to say, we don't really know enough about its position.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Our Chile facility is actually *more* defensible than our HQ. It's in the most barren desert on the planet outside Antartica. And around that desert are mountains on every side to ensure you have to airlift everything just to get into the desert.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    Picking Harmon has made our heads-on conventional ability to take on attackers weaker, though in the final analysis (between Hawthorne's focus and intransportability) he was an overall better pick, especially since he gives us a boost to Intrigue actions. That leaves us with Geniustech alternatives.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    The Chile mine might be problematic, depending on water availability (groundwater next to a copper mine???) and the 4500ish mile trip between it and our coal production node.

I'm surprised you haven't proposed selling off our less defensible facilities.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  16. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    The Chile facility is going to have issues with both water and fuel. However we need a copper mine. We don't have local copper production in the HQ area, and copper is one of the most essential raw materials to technology. We're probably going to be sinking a lot of work into making it stay running, but we have to.
    Jun 8, 2018
  17. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    I meant the other sites were of lower utility and defensibility. I.e. saltworks, hunting lodge, etc, might be gotten rid of.
    Jun 8, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    We're already expecting to sell off a lot of our stuff, possibly in spring. Doing it too early is counterproductive.

In terms of the Chesapeake facility though I expect it to fall, but it's so useful to have a port facility that it's worth rolling even low odds on it surviving.
    Jun 8, 2018
  19. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    Thanks for the info on the newest turbofans. I've been dragged into a wikiwalk that will eat up more of my time ;p
    Jun 13, 2018
    Hypervane and Ddmkm122 like this.
  20. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    The latest turbofans put in the latest release of the 737-Max 8 are really pushing efficiency boundaries.

Incidentally even a smaller 2 engine plane can outperform payload/fuel a larger 4 engine one, I have figures on that.
    Jun 13, 2018
    Ddmkm122 likes this.