1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on Profile Post by ReinZero

1. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    So yeah, what'cha questing(s)?
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  2. Vicjer
    Vicjer
    Well, it'd probably take way too long to list everything from across SV, SB and QQ, so I'll just list some of the newer QQ quests I'm watching: Worldly Desires, Overpowered In The Wrong Setting, Summoned To An Ecchi Fantasy World, Half-Light, and finally Incremental Progress.

I think those are most of the quests I've started following this month (on QQ).

I may have a bit of a problem. :V
    Apr 20, 2019
  3. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    Don't worry, it'll get worse- I mean "better".

Says the person running 4 quests >_<
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  4. Vicjer
    Vicjer
    Oof. Four? Sounds exhausting.

Well, thankfully I've managed to avoid writing any quests of my own in my two-and-a-half years on the three forums.

I doubt I'd be able to keep them up if did, and I've always been of the "if you're going to do something, do it right" philosophy.
    Apr 20, 2019
  5. Vicjer
    Vicjer
    Admittedly, that same philosophy is one of the biggest factors holding me back in life by to killing my motivation to do things due to fear of failure, but it also keeps me from biting off more than I can chew, so it's not all bad.
    Apr 20, 2019
  6. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    RL busyiness and some other mess usually cause a bit of derail in consistency. That and voter counts...

I do this mainly to bounce my muse around so it doesn't get stressed out or burnt out on any one thing. And also force myself to get focused on /something/. Hence it's not a good idea for others in general.
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  7. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    They're of differing genres/premises if you wanna take a look. Though I kinda suck at a good summary pitch.

Grand Lore - A Virtual Reality premised Trading Card Game quest. It's more on being a proper card game than most "card game" quests, so it winds up looking more complicated than not. (Like having a remotely decent card pool to build a deck from, as opposed to most/all your choices not being much different.)
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  8. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    Paradoxical Academy - A magical girl corruption quest, wherein you are playing the villain.

Ethereal Royal Academy - A survival quest set to an academy. (Newest)

LIME Isekai? - An academy corruption quest wherein you are now in another world. Making magical girls and prospering are goals ofc. (This is behind on update...)
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  9. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    As for whether to or not to run a quest, you could always start with a simpler, or more basic one and go from there. There's nothing wrong with rolling with a simple system and premise for a short romp as to get a hang of things.

People here are fairly forgiving about these things.
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  10. Vicjer
    Vicjer
    Yeah, whenever I consider starting a quest, I can never decide on how complex/simple I want the mechanics to be, what genre I want, or the kind of setting, etc. My mind is always all over the place on those things, which is why I doubt I'd be able to actually commit.
    Apr 20, 2019
  11. Vicjer
    Vicjer
    Ultimately, I just end up thinking about all those quests I used to enjoy before they died, and that urge to start a quest goes away real quick.

I'd rather be disappointed at myself for not trying than disappoint other people by getting them invested in something and dropping it.
    Apr 20, 2019
  12. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    Then do two. One simple. One complex. Likewise of two different genres. You can start with a short one, but leave it with room to do a sequel. Viola, problems solved.
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  13. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    That aside, cometh, take a look?
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  14. Vicjer
    Vicjer
    Maybe. Again, the main thing holding me back is that I find it hard to start things unless I'm confident I can follow through. I try not to make promises I don't know I can keep, and starting a quest feels--to me, at least--like an implied promise to the players.

Kind of irrational, I know, it's just how I feel about it.
    Apr 20, 2019
  15. Vicjer
    Vicjer
    As for those quests, I might give them a look later (maybe in a few hours, maybe a few days--assuming I don't forget, anyway). They sound interesting, at least (though I'm not sure about a Card Game quest; the only other ones I've seen always moved really slowly, even despite frequent updates).
    Apr 20, 2019
  16. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    That's fine. You'd want to make clear it's a short quest at best, and/or sporadic updates. Plus you're figuring things out. Making it clear goes a long way.
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  17. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    And the ones you've seen for card game quests being slow? Details?
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  18. Vicjer
    Vicjer
    I can't really remember. It was a while ago when I read them, and briefly at that. They just seemed to progress at about a turn per update, and from what I remember of playing card games (admittedly a long time ago), they can last a while at times.

It might warrant another look if my memories are this hazy. They just don't seem very well suited to the questing format, though.
    Apr 20, 2019
  19. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    I find its more that they don't really innovate since the medium is different. Drawing card by card from the deck simply doesn't translate well. It's why I opt for a no-draw, deck-as-hand setup.

Alternatively their handling means there's really little or no difference in between cards. Due banking on being too simplified.
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  20. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    Deck-as-hand means people can plan out in advance and thus smoothly have several turns in a update if warranted. Although so far it's mostly been 0~2 Turns per update during a match.

Averaging around 4 updates per match presently. This excludes one abrupt conclusion lasting 1 update.
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  21. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    Mine starts with the MC just starting out, hence card acquisitions is a bit fast tracked (unlike most instances of the GM handing players a non-starter deck). It's also so people can consider which they'd prefer/build towards (over time) or for situational cases (also later).
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  22. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    Narrative weaving is a legit tactic in mine, which means more freedom for deck construction. Only limited by deck size and board slots. Both expandable over time.

So there's no need to worry over too much choices. A good narrative or technical play are both viable. Hence making full usage of the medium.
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  23. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    Reading the card library parts off the bat is unadvised, since it's heavy. That's all for now. Sorry about wall of texting.
    Apr 20, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  24. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    *poke checks on the 'assuming I don't forget' part*
    Apr 21, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.
  25. Vicjer
    Vicjer
    I've taken a look at the first few updates (five or so) of Ethereal Royal Academy. It appears to be decent from what I've read so far.

I'm not sure if I'll be continuing, though; the Noble Background was the one I was least interested in of the three, and the premise in general seems a little Intrigue-heavy for my tastes.

All the same, best of luck with that quest! :)
    Apr 21, 2019
    ReinZero likes this.
  26. Vicjer
    Vicjer
    I also took a look at the first update of LIME Isekai, though I haven't had a chance to see more yet, so I don't have much of an opinion at the moment.

I'll try to get around to that and Paradox/Grand Lore once I finish going through my new notifications/whatever-else-comes-up until then.
    Apr 21, 2019
    ReinZero likes this.
  27. ReinZero
    ReinZero
    The Noble background got a undertone of Demonic heritage to it thanks to background reasonings (aka, a bonus in ways). And technically speaking, intrigue is more if you draw the wrong attention, or are more actively wanting to kill off others (or worse). Otherwise the idea/goal is to prosper while not dying.

And I still need to get LIME Isekai? updated proper >_>
    Apr 21, 2019
    Vicjer likes this.