1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on Profile Post by inverted_helix

1. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    It does require more thoughtful votes though or it will end up in fire sooner or later. A moratorium helps with that.
    Jul 9, 2019
    Lemonbarb likes this.
  2. Lemonbarb
    Lemonbarb
    If it's that Yokai tree quest. At one point wanted to give it another shot, but stray thoughts later, and other interests led to well... Not really making comments on that quest. That, and I have to go by a constant mantra of "No More Omake".
    Jul 9, 2019
    Persimmon likes this.
  3. Lemonbarb
    Lemonbarb
    That said... I've also had a bit of a stray 'write playground' to doodle omake grade urges, if I want to give a lazy original 'take' on such settings. And if I'm sad enough to do a light reading on Xianxia... Who knows?
    Jul 9, 2019
    Persimmon likes this.
  4. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Well actually I was referring to the comments you had in my profile last week.
    Jul 9, 2019
    Persimmon and Lemonbarb like this.
  5. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    Thanks for taking the time to look up the statements on system rarity for me. So we're basically guaranteed an Imris-tier "industrial sweet spot", great.
    Jul 11, 2019
    Lemonbarb and inverted_helix like this.
  6. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    Christ I feel like I did a bunch of math for no reason
    Jul 21, 2019
    Lemonbarb likes this.
  7. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Honestly I thought your destroyer design iffy because of it needing lateral thrust most and thus the drive shaft would be dependent on width instead of length.
    Jul 22, 2019
  8. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    I'm still going to try to push for the ME frigates being available though because there's too clear an advantage based on the numbers we have.
    Jul 22, 2019
  9. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    Assuming cylindrical profile, destroyers have are 189.7m wide. Depending on RKKV support machinery thickness, you could interlace 150m lateral thrusters, which would still give a significant boost to dodging dV over torches.
    Jul 22, 2019
    inverted_helix likes this.
  10. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Yes, but your gain in delta-V is greatly reduced at that point. You also have to use multiple thrusters to prevent rolling because they can't pass through the centerline, whereas the fusion torch could still be mounted on the center line. So you'll probably end up spending more mass on the engines.
    Jul 22, 2019
  11. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    Riders and other small parasites get +100% dV. Even a +50% dodging dV is huuuuge, and not to mention the massive boost in strategic mobility with the 12/21g or 35g (if aux radiator) main tubes. Oh and the heat-sinking ability of a DD is proportionally higher too...
    Jul 22, 2019
  12. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Between the additional mass of the engines eating into your delta V budget, and the lower delta V benefit to begin with. I can easily see it just not being worth the added complexity.
    Jul 22, 2019
  13. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Well riders only get +82% dV, but yes I do expect you end up with significantly higher dodging dV in the end, but you also have to consider fueling logistical burdens from the less common fuel needed in vast quantities. I suspect this is the main concern with frigates as well.
    Jul 22, 2019
  14. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Now to be clear, I agree with your assessment, and I'd run ME drive destroyers as well accepting the lower tactic acceleration for even a +50% gain in dodge dv and a likely absurd gain in strategic dv. But I can see where logistical concerns might predominate for a real navy.
    Jul 22, 2019
    Persimmon likes this.
  15. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    The change in propulsion efficiency might make drone spam less viable; they're too small to fit a decent ME propulsion unit; and if your attack drones can't cross a volume longer than defenders can retreat across it...
    Jul 22, 2019
  16. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Well drones are part of the logistic issue with switching a ship over. Since they have to carry hydrogen fuel for the drones still anyway so it means two sets of tanks.

I don't think that the enemy is likely to retreat in that fashion though. Keep in mind that drones probably never had the delta-V of a full up ship.
    Jul 22, 2019
  17. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Retreating away from a drone strike is basically ceding the field, and you're burning a lot of delta-V on your capital ships while the enemy capital ships aren't.
    Jul 22, 2019
  18. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    Opening the gap to minimize closing velocity (rather than dodging entirely) would make the drone attacks vastly weaker. And if you're sacrificing 10% of your dV rather than 30-40% (depending on how much was reserved for strategic movement) to neutralize a big drone wave, one must consider if that mass and volume of the drone wave (and support machinery, etc) would be better off in being in bigger parasites.
    Jul 22, 2019
  19. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Bigger parasites are more vulnerable to the enemy capital ships though. Opening the gap also means leaving your dust barriers behind.

Turning tail and running away also means ceasing to fire.

The drones could also just hop up layers in hyperspace to catch up.
    Jul 22, 2019
  20. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    You yourself calculated barrier riders could recreate barriers 800x...

As for ceasing to fire, it's fair for continuous weapons, but RKKV ships could just fly away in between cooldowns.

I mean, most combat should really be happening in the higher layers; the mobility disadvantage of being in realspace is horrendous.
    Jul 22, 2019
  21. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Yes they can recreate their barriers functionally indefinitely, but that takes a lot of time between starting to make a barrier and when it's actually remade.

RKKV ships can't just fly away between cooldowns because they have to retract their fins to fly away. So their cooldown won't progress much while moving.
    Jul 22, 2019
    Persimmon likes this.
  22. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Combat in bigger colonies can be kept to gamma layer, but in our size most of the fighting will happen in real space because that's where our stuff and most of our forts will be.

We could fight at higher layers, but that would leave us vulnerable to defeat in detail.

Similar issues apply to others at our size.
    Jul 22, 2019
  23. Persimmon
    Persimmon
    The RKKV radiator bit is a point I keep overlooking -_-

In regards to being forced to fight in realspace; we can just jump a proportional force to whatever layer the enemy force is in, or if they present a weakness defeat them in the higher layer and gain initiative/positional advantage.
    Jul 22, 2019
  24. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    Any realistic attack on a system has to bring enough mobile forces to potentially overwhelm the enemy fleet + forts. In such a circumstances it doesn't favor the defender to engage without their forts for support. So they're forced to keep the bulk of their forces in real space with their forts.
    Jul 22, 2019
    Lemonbarb likes this.
  25. inverted_helix
    inverted_helix
    They can send token forces and parasites higher, but if they move their main force elsewhere they'll be defeated in detail.

Then to fight them the attackers main force has to be in real space.
    Jul 22, 2019
    Lemonbarb likes this.