1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
OneirosTheWriter
Last Activity:
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:42 AM

OneirosTheWriter

Versed in the lewd., Male

Loving this up-time lately Sep 10, 2023

OneirosTheWriter was last seen:
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:42 AM
    1. LEE
      LEE
      Can't help but wonder if the Four Deadly Secrets re-write is still ongoing or dead dead.
      1. SoulsticeSlayer likes this.
      2. SoulsticeSlayer
        SoulsticeSlayer
        Dang, I was actually about to ask the same thing. FDS is that one fic that I go back to every few months to check for updates. Easily one of the best RWBY fics, so I'm also wondering what the status of it is. Regardless though 200k+ words is A LOT so I'm happy with what we have.
        Mar 26, 2024 at 9:56 PM
    2. Sphere
      Sphere
      Howdy Oneiros, just read your WFB Dark Elves quest- it's really well done, with unique mechanics and good writing.

What led you to stop writing it, and would you have any interest in ever picking it back up or writing a similar quest?
      1. OneirosTheWriter likes this.
      2. OneirosTheWriter
        OneirosTheWriter
        I ran into a bunch of trouble with mechanics for the rival forces and so I put it on the backburner. Unfortunately, once something goes on the backburner it can be hard to get the motivation to bring it back. Glad to hear you enjoyed reading the quest though!
        Oct 26, 2023
        Sphere likes this.
    3. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      Loving this up-time lately
    4. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      Me, clueless: Oh, that's a really colourful interesting OP, YouTube, what is that from?
      1. OneirosTheWriter
        OneirosTheWriter
        YouTube, waiting with a baseball bat with nails hammered in: Don't you worry about that...
        Jun 7, 2023
    5. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      Swear to god, next manga I see going on about "healer was the ~weakest~ class" I'll blow my stack.
      1. Some_Dick likes this.
      2. Some_Dick
        Some_Dick
        I mean they are offensively weak, but their sustain and utility is much more valuable than most others' abilities. Like, if there's the option of having some form of mid-battle healing I will prefer that over something else. After that my priority is out-of-battle healing, and I count resurrection as healing, though with slightly different parameters since usually revival brings with it sole kind of debuff.
        May 15, 2023
      3. Some_Dick
        Some_Dick
        After mid- and after-battle healing I go for overhealth/shields, then armor/damage reduction, only then I usually go for either damage or (de)buffs, though part of that is also depending on which I perceive to be more impactful, since often healing or debuffing is rather piddly so I only take it later.
        May 15, 2023
      4. Some_Dick
        Some_Dick
        I am also amused by the fact that between this and the previous profile post there was exactly one year of gap
        May 15, 2023
    6. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      Anyone got recommendations? My alerts are slowing down again.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. OneirosTheWriter
        OneirosTheWriter
        I suppose just stuff in similar genres to what I've written in. Mostly looking for fics, but quests in a pinch too.
        Apr 17, 2022
      3. Imabot
        Imabot
        Apr 17, 2022
        OneirosTheWriter likes this.
      4. Imabot
        Imabot
        Apr 17, 2022
    7. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      Four Deadly Secrets situation: 75k words re-written and edited, still need the proofreading process and figuring out how much backlog I want
      1. LEE, andrewopk, UberJJK and 2 others like this.
      2. Generic_Generica
        Mar 12, 2022
        Some_Dick likes this.
    8. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      One of the most important life skills to gain while growing up is knowing when replying to something idiotic is just not worth it.
      1. Some_Dick, Imabot and 1986ctcel like this.
    9. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      There's no point railing over incompetent or moronic characters. Usually, that's just how people actually are. Info disparity is the rest.
      1. Some_Dick and Imabot like this.
      2. Imabot
        Imabot
        Average SB writer: But my hyper competence!
        Jan 9, 2022
        Some_Dick and OneirosTheWriter like this.
    10. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      On the one hand, I think I need to start a snippet thread to help get writing again. On the other hand, this account is in my main name :C
      1. Imabot
        Imabot
        You can ask mods to change your name.
        Dec 28, 2021
      2. OneirosTheWriter
        OneirosTheWriter
        Six and a half years later is probably a little late to don a Groucho Marx disguise and pretend to be someone else!
        Dec 29, 2021
        Some_Dick likes this.
      3. Imabot
        Imabot
        It's also to late to hesitate and make up excuses about creative writing snippet thread. You already have written NSFW stuff on QQ under your name. And IIRC it was pretty hardcore smut.

I say, In for a penny in for a pound.

You can't do anything that would already stain your reputation even more.
        Dec 29, 2021
    11. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      If the Black Jewel Trilogy was better known you could honestly do a lot with that on a forum like this. <.<
    12. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      The problem with self-inserts is that sometimes it makes it pretty apparent the author must be one colossal asshole to live near.
      1. Daniel K. English
        Daniel K. English
        i take them more as "things one would do in an escapist fantasy" than "things one would do in real life"
        Oct 22, 2021
      2. Vergil1989 Crossover King
        Vergil1989 Crossover King
        While I agree with this, not every SI is an asshole. Plus Daniel's right, not every 'asshole' is honestly an asshole in their actual RLs. (That said, I hope the few SIs I've done as a much more physically capable version of myself have never come off as assholes...)
        Oct 22, 2021
        Some_Dick, illerayn and Imabot like this.
    13. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      People run systems and formula and what have you with their Creative Writing need to keep in mind - first and foremost, write a story!
      1. Imabot likes this.
      2. BlackHadou
        BlackHadou
        While to a degree true, remember the point of some of those systems are not the players at all, but rather keeping the writer himself invested and writing. Don't be too quick to judge.
        Oct 21, 2021
      3. Imabot
        Imabot
        I don't think that's a argument in favor of the writer. It's not the same thing as extra comments, lore and bonus marerial that better fleshes put the setting or even just a collection of notes.

If numbers are what giving Author a motivation to be creative then they should pursue mathematics related hobby not story writing.
        Oct 21, 2021
    14. EVA-Saiyajin
      EVA-Saiyajin
      Hey there. Do you reckon you’ll ever return to So you Think you can Pillage?
      1. Ultrackius, zup and 1986ctcel like this.
      2. OneirosTheWriter
        OneirosTheWriter
        Not sure to be honest. Trying to get my writing going again, it’s tapered off dramatically after the last year or so.
        Oct 3, 2021
        1986ctcel likes this.
      3. OneirosTheWriter
        OneirosTheWriter
        Needs more mechanic simplifying mind you. My patience for complex mechanics has dropped substantially from where it was a few years ago.
        Oct 3, 2021
        1986ctcel likes this.
    15. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      If you see a quest by someone who has good writing, but you know they are going to flake out inside of 10 updates, do you bother following?
      1. Imabot likes this.
      2. Imabot
        Imabot
        Yes. Because 99.99% of quests are never finished anyways so it barely makes difference if it's stops after 10 or 50 updates.

So I'm just hopping in to experience some good story while it lasts.

Same with fanfiction.
        Sep 13, 2021
        Some_Dick, illerayn, SamPardi and 2 others like this.
      3. BlackHadou
        BlackHadou
        Generally, quests need more interaction then most players are actually willing to give. Just voting actually isn't really participating. Its the questioning, the discussion that comes with it that actually keeps the quest alive. Theorycrafting and workshopping, etc.

Given that, its no wonder most fanworks, nevermind quests, usually die.
        Sep 13, 2021
        Some_Dick, illerayn, Protean and 4 others like this.
    16. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      Threads I'm following seem to be dying again. QQ always feels especially bad for this. Time to go find new ones.
      1. Imabot likes this.
      2. OneirosTheWriter
        OneirosTheWriter
        Apparently I just needed to wait a day!
        Sep 2, 2021
        Some_Dick and Imabot like this.
    17. Walkir
      Walkir
      "I'm gonna have to point out here this discussion about ship boys is not about QQ. "
      ... I miss Repair Crew.
      1. OneirosTheWriter
        OneirosTheWriter
        We're not like the other shipboy stories! We have *multiple* shipboys, spread the love! Don't leave shipgirls out in the cold!
        Aug 13, 2021
        Some_Dick and Imabot like this.
      2. Imabot
        Imabot
        And they don't steal spotlight from the girls. Girls kick ass. Boys fuck the ass.
        Aug 13, 2021
    18. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      I really do wish there was more Sen no Kiseki/Trails content out there.
    19. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      Just had an alert update on a quest I have absolutely no memory of ever following.
      1. Some_Dick, Kalrotix and Imabot like this.
    20. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      Having to find a new generation of stories and quests to read after the last one died is always annoying.
      1. illerayn, Kalrotix, Imabot and 2 others like this.
    21. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
      1. The Disney Villan
        The Disney Villan
        My prize was depression
        May 2, 2021
        Some_Dick likes this.
      2. OneirosTheWriter
        May 2, 2021
        Some_Dick and The Disney Villan like this.
      3. Passing Pinecone
        Passing Pinecone
        Play depressing games, win depressing prizes?
        May 2, 2021
        The Disney Villan likes this.
    22. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      Only one update on my watches in several days, guess its time to start hunting again.
    23. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      Lessons from reading a few CrW threads: Get an Editor you trust and stick with them. Never rely on thread feedback.
      1. The Disney Villan and kayangelus like this.
      2. kayangelus
        kayangelus
        On the other hand, it is much easier to get thread feedback. Editors have their own lives / schedules, and don't always have free time.
        Apr 29, 2021
      3. OneirosTheWriter
        OneirosTheWriter
        It absolutely is easier to get, but I don't think that's actually a good thing. Trying to filter accurate feedback out of what can at times be a flow of raw textual sewage in some of the bigger stories can be daunting, discouraging, and difficult. At least an editor is unlikely to trash you into giving up a story.
        Apr 29, 2021
        kayangelus likes this.
    24. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      I need to keep in mind, there's no real reason to go piling in on a story just because I felt it made a bad move. Let writers have fun.
      1. Some_Dick likes this.
    25. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      I wonder if I should switch from writing Quests to CW?
      1. ReinZero
        ReinZero
        But why?
        Mar 16, 2021
      2. OneirosTheWriter
        OneirosTheWriter
        Quests are beginning to feel a bit more like work. There's a lot of upside, but at the same time, running a permanent alpha build of a game can become pretty frustrating. With CW, you focus more on what you want to write rather than what a public consensus wants. I mean, there are ways to make sure quest votes gives you material you're okay with, but sometimes just going your own way is appealing.
        Mar 16, 2021
        Some_Dick likes this.
      3. ReinZero
        ReinZero
        Or frame it in a way that you cannot actually lose.
        Mar 16, 2021
    26. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      Most story problems on this site can be fixed by clarifying and sustaining main character voice. Not as easy as it sounds, but its key.
      1. Aigloss and Imabot like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Imabot
        Imabot
        Wgat exactly you mean by voice? Accent? Way of speaking?
        Mar 14, 2021
      4. OneirosTheWriter
        OneirosTheWriter
        Character voice is about conveying the personality, presentation, mannerisms, it's about how you identify a character based on what they say, how they say it, and to some extent what they do and why they do it. It's keeping your character in-character and recognisably so to the reader.

In an ideal scenario, you don't even need the speech tags, you know who is speaking because you recognise that character.
        Mar 15, 2021
        Aigloss and Imabot like this.
      5. ReinZero
        ReinZero
        *looks at Light Novels* Isn't that more like the norm than the exception?

Oh right. QQ. Right.
        Mar 15, 2021
    27. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      I've reached that point where almost all my current watches are dead or update much slower, need to find new ones.
      1. Imabot likes this.
      2. Imabot
        Imabot
        Yea. Sucks when that happens. Worse part is when this state can stay this way for months.
        Mar 11, 2021
    28. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      If I was ever going to make a WhiskeyGolf type story, it would probably involve the announcer girl from Shokugeki no Soma. Judge if you must
      1. The Disney Villan
        The Disney Villan
        Good taste
        Mar 6, 2021
      2. Whiskey Golf
        Whiskey Golf
        I second this! I too want to see a Whiskey Golf-type story ala Oneiros! XD
        Mar 6, 2021
    29. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      The Redo of Healer has good art but ngl, every other part of it is just shoddy work and a crap result. Too much edge, not enough talent.
      1. The Disney Villan
        The Disney Villan
        The edge is off the charts, so much so it cuts the chart in half
        Feb 27, 2021
      2. Imabot
        Imabot
        Redo made me feel better about myself. I'm not a total fuck up of a human being after all, because I didn't enjoy this at all.
        Feb 27, 2021
      3. Heaven Canceler
        Heaven Canceler
        The show does a terrible job of making you care about anything. Everyone is too over-the-top edgy. The bad guys are so mustache twirlingly evil as to make Shield Hero villains look like nice guys. Its like a parody of the revenge fic genre, except everything is played straight.
        Mar 5, 2021
        The Disney Villan likes this.
    30. OneirosTheWriter
      OneirosTheWriter
      I wonder how the rate of early quest/fic abandonment on QQ compares to SV/SB. Feels much higher?
      1. Walkir likes this.
      2. magic9mushroom
        magic9mushroom
        What is "early"? :V
        Jan 10, 2021
      3. OneirosTheWriter
        OneirosTheWriter
        Like dying during character creation or shortly afterwards.
        Jan 10, 2021
      4. magic9mushroom
        magic9mushroom
        I feel like a lot of that is serial offenders. I mean, add together Hyperblade and Chibi-Reaper and there's a dead quest every 10 days or so right there.
        Jan 10, 2021
        Happerry likes this.
  • About

Signature

'...and the ghosts are rattling at the door, and the devil's in the chair...'

Currently writing: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10449572/1/Four-Deadly-Secrets (a RWBY fanfic - TV Tropes page) - Ch 16 in production
    Currently questing: So You Think You Can Pillage? A game for Dark Elves and other wonderful people. Repair Crew, Kancolle's Lewdest Flotilla