1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

I was thinking the same thing...

gustyeagle and Coruscant Knave like this.
  2. Navrin

Navrin Experienced.

I think the trick is "spreading relay insects/'insects' throughout your cities". This puts her in a position of extreme power over everyone.

This also makes it absolutely essential that nobody master her and set her off to kill everyone she can, because she's a single point of failure for a VERY large system.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Ryuketsu, Faraway-R, Beyogi and 6 others like this.
  3. dasstan

dasstan :)

Partially, but the real thing is that it makes Pantheon irreplaceable.

4. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Now that Ellisburg is cleared, I wonder what Nilbog will make of his own private island. Madagascar is a pretty big place; he could play Monster Civilization for a long time.

I also wonder if Pantheon will ever find a use for him. His ability at creating life is comparable to Amelia's, though I'm unsure about specific advantages/disadvantages. It'd be pretty interesting if he turned out to be capable of producing his own power-suit variants.

Snake/Eater and Divabot like this.
  5. Jackercracks

Jackercracks At Two With Nature

I think their powers are similar, but Amelia has to follow the square cube law at least to some extent. Nibog doesn't. His creations are capable of what are essentially parahuman powers. He'll be made useful, no doubt. Perhaps to build a few dozen behemoth-scale fighters.

Also, do you know how long it took me to realise that Nilbog is goblin backwards? An embarrassingly long time.

6. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

Thank you, that's the thread I was missing.

Lupercal, dasstan and TanaNari like this.
  7. Abcde

Abcde Making the rounds.

Erm. The sewers reference means "we're taking over an important public service and could do whatever we wanted to with it at any time, but it's cheap so please ignore us."

8. datenchi

datenchi Getting out there.

none of the chapters after Emma's are in the thread mark tab.

Sheaman3773 likes this.
  9. LagrangePt

LagrangePt Getting sticky.

Yeah... with M7 units acting as relays in basically every major city, Heartbreaker or something similar taking over Taylia is basically game over for Earth Bet. Seeing as they are also basically the queens of a nation, they should be under the sort of security that the President gets...

10. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

They pretty much are - multiple uber-tier capes, Riley's best work, and their own very scary powers. Plus, you know, the backups mean that a viable if desperate solution to one of them getting mastered is just kill and restore.

Alayne and TanaNari like this.
  11. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

This is because the threadmark permissions changed. Before a user was threadmarking stuff because Tananari didn't feel like it but now they can't. Only the OP can add/remove/edit threadmarks.

Sheaman3773 and Alterego9 like this.
  12. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Someone has to explain to me the point of the threadmark thingy. Is it just a replacement for having the first post in the thread be the contents or is there some other functionality involved?

13. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

Is it time for Pantheon to become part of the military-industrial complex? Hooray for imperialism!
    Costa-Brown, I was certain, knew better.

TanaNari likes this.
  14. tordg

tordg (Unverified Idiot)

Instincts.
    I know I keep harping about my smart roads idea, but this sounds like an excellent opportunity to offer massive civil cost saving measures to be piggybacked onto their policing systems. Just make the offer very public and suddenly taxpayer outcry.

TanaNari likes this.
  15. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Something happened when Rebecca spoke,Lisa Was hamming it up on purpose to communicate back to her or create a distraction with her performance to the other directors like Armstrong...i don't know,only four people know what going on,Becky.Lisa.God and TanaNari. was there a subliminal warning?maybe Becky was simply asking Lisa out.

the whole thing is a house of cards and i don't know which way the wind is blowing or am i imagining it?

on a slighty on related note, i came up for with a name for Becky/Lisa - "Flirtin' with Disaster" :D
    you know you like it,ooooh you like it....you just can't wait til somebody gets burned......

16. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

The Transporter.
    Ship name - Team Rocket; because you've got to prepare for trouble, and make it double.

17. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

As I recall, there is no mention that she died. Just that he gave her a formula without authorisation, she became a Case 53, and he took Formula F-1611 and left. The impression I got was that she was in Cauldron's 'care'.

And of course, Manton being the best authority on powers available, knew how to leverage that formula into the Siberian.

Also in 245, with the emotion/thoughts/emotion mixup, perhaps if you put them on different lines?

18. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 247
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 247

Stan Vickory took a look around our world's landscape through the portal. "So, this is like Aleph, only we can actually cross over instead of just transmitting signals?" he asked.

"Pretty much," Lisa replied. "But don't let them try to fool you, it's just as easy to physically cross into Aleph. Probably shouldn't tell anyone about that. I don't think there's a law against it, but it would make waves, and not the ones that get you a juicy story."

"I understand," he answered, watching his film crew as they wandered the area. He had a dozen camera people with him, including a few I was pretty certain weren't trained camera operators. Made sense, what he needed right now were people he could trust to keep a secret. Editing could handle shaky cameras and poor lighting. "If I may be honest with you for a second. When I first talked to you, I was expecting that you'd self destuct within a month or two."

OffendedDispleased. Well, at least he's being honest. ReluctantAgreement.

"Oh, I knew that," Lisa replied happily. "New unproven group, lots of enemies right from the start, flirting heavily with Class S status, pretty much daring the PRT to come at them with guns blazing. Frankly, it was as much luck as anything that got us here."

He chuckled. "I had your eulogies mapped out in my head by the end of my first conversation with Khepri. I'm glad I didn't get to use them."

"Me, too," I agreed, thinking briefly about how Taylor actually did die. ConcernSupportLove. I smiled. Thank you.

"Mister Vickory? The stage is ready," a boy informed us. When did I start thinking of college students as if they were younger than me?

"Thanks, Tim," he replied. "And how many times do I have to tell you to call me Stan?"

"Sorry, sir," the kid replied as he rushed back to his job, which as near as I could tell was the electrical work for the interview stage.

Stan smiled apologetically. "Still working on that one," he informed us. "So, shall we get this show started?"

"Absolutely," Lisa replied. "Have fun, boss ladies. I'll be right here watching the whole time."

We approached our stage, which was deliberately outdoors. It was a beautiful day on Avalon, mid fifties instead of near zero, and we wanted to showcase our world in all its conveniences. We sat down on chairs I had created, in full view of Avalon's first city. Vickery took his position and waited for a hand signal, then he spoke.

"This is Stan Vickery with Channel Twelve, reporting in from Earth Avalon. Before speaking with my gracious hosts, I must offer a disclaimer to the audience. This interview is being recorded on January thirtieth, and not scheduled to be aired until February Eighth, possibly later if the next Endbringer conflict occurs within the next few days."

That was part of our agreement, and Stan had agreed to abide by the rules to get a preemptive interview. Of course he agreed, we had pretty much just put his career on the international stage for the rest of his life. He'd be insane not to go for it.

"By the time this is seen by the public, the world will be aware of many other worlds, with portals in dozens of nations and a plan that can only be described as the largest act of colonialism in history. We are now going to speak with the architects of this plan, Empresses Taylor Hebert and Amelia Lavere. Let me be the first to congratulate you on the your new status as heads of state. And thank you for allowing Channel Twelve to be the one to deliver this news to the world."

Taylor nodded. "Thank you," I replied nervously. "We're happy to have you. And, if I'm being honest, I'm still not used to the idea of being called an Empress." Apparently calling myself a goddess for several months didn't prepare me for it, either.

"Let's start with the simplest question," he continued. "Amelia, I note you are no longer using the last name of your adoptive parents. Are you officially acknowledging that you're the daughter of the infamous supervillain known as Marquis?"

"Effectively, I suppose so, at least for the time being," I replied. "I see no reason to hide the truth. I am not, and never will be my father, but hiding from the past accomplishes nothing. It's relatively moot anyway, since I'll be taking my fiancée's surname when we get married." I reached over and squeezed Taylor's hand. LovePrideConfidence.

Vickery paused for a second, letting that statement have a moment to catch in the minds of the future audience. He understood his showmanship. "I was led to understand you discovered the dimensional gateways and started this project over six months ago?"

"Correct," Taylor replied. "The details of the gateway creation system are being kept secret for security reasons. However, we have taken the knowledge to the international community and agreed on a plan to open access to a number of Earths for a number of nations on the planet. We aren't sure how much of that information will be public knowledge by the time this interview is publicized."

"In exchange, you were given an earth of your own?" he asked. "Some might view that as conspicuous consumption, as all other organizations who received a colony world were national governments. In addition, you were recognized as a nation when you agreed to this project." One of the hard questions we'd requested be asked.

"Avalon is a unique case. Part of the international treaties defining acceptable colony worlds is we may only access Earths that do not have human life. Whether because humans never evolved there, or they went extinct," I informed him. "Avalon takes this to its final logical extreme. Life on this world was eliminated by a celestial event some three and a half million years ago. When we found it, the atmosphere was toxic to conventional life, and even if you could breathe the radiation levels were so high that the average expected lifespan would have been around five years. Even today, were we to remove the Yggdrasil from this planet, it would quickly return to an uninhabitable state."

"So you see," Taylor followed up. "Avalon could never have been a colony world to begin with. Which is why we chose it. We didn't want to effectively steal land from the whole human race. Not when we could just as easily create our own." That assurance wouldn't persuade everyone, but hopefully it would do enough that most people would dismiss the ones who had a problem.

"That would explain the rather monotonous landscape," Vickery remarked, and I could imagine the cameras scanning the mostly flat blue-green Yggdrasil coloration that extended to every horizon. "Now, let us talk about your titles. Empresses. Is that expression of an intent to have a form of monarchical system?"

"Of some sort," I agreed. "The details are complex, but the governing powers available to Taylor and I are mostly limited to shared military defense and handling foreign affairs. For almost all other purposes, our world will exist as a federation of nations, each independent of the others. Each colony will have its own government and freedom of rule, with only a few laws that apply universally, such as rights to religious, cultural, and lifestyle equality."

"Fascinating," he replied. "Speaking of colonies, how do you plan to recruit colonists? As I understand it, most major nations will be doing their best to build their colony worlds. I imagine competition will be fierce."

"Plumbing, for starters," Taylor answered with a smile. It earned a polite chuckle from Vickery. "Thanks to the Yggdrasil, we will have a significant head start for infrastructure. We can produce temporary shelters in a matter of minutes. Grow homes and supply food for entire cities as quickly as people can find places to put cities. Then there's the matter of health care. Illness and injury that would be more or less trivial on Bet will become serious threats to the colonists. New diseases that never existed on Bet to begin with. Harsh winters without electricity. These are problems that simply will not exist for Avalon."

"In addition, there's the environmental concerns," I added. "Or, specifically, the lack of them. Avalon was a dead world. We don't have an environment to preserve, and the Yggdrasil isn't at any risk of being destroyed by industrialization. We project fully modern cities in a matter of less than ten years. Better than modern, as we'll encourage parahuman involvement and advanced technology from the inception."

"Then there's the military concerns," Taylor followed up. "Historically speaking, colonialism has faced a number of perils, most of which can be summed up simple enough. The needs of the colonies are rarely the same as the needs of the homeland, and eventually people will start to think in terms of 'us' and 'them'. That's why so many wars are a matter of seeking independence."

"Avalon will be the only colony world that is will be its own independent government," I finished her point. "We will rule ourselves from the very beginning, instead of being ruled by foreigners."

"Do you believe other countries will face rebellions from their colonies?"

"Insurrection and violence, at the very least," Taylor replied. "Some worse than others. Not everyone trusts or loves the countries they come from. They'll seek new lands and new opportunities with the intent of no longer having to answer to the authorities. And some of them will just be scum looking to take advantage of the less established populations in the colonies. Conflicts will happen, it's just a question of how bad it gets. And considering the involvement of parahumans, it could get very bad."

"You believe Avalon will avoid that?" Vickery asked.

"I believe anyone who starts a battle on Avalon's soil will regret it quickly," Taylor replied. "We are capable of defending ourselves and our people in a way the other colony worlds simply won't be able to achieve. The term 'Empress' is more than a political title for us. On this world, we have absolute control of the entire biosphere. We can and will use the full extent of our powers, including the anti Endbringer weapons if we have to, on anyone stupid enough to hurt our people."

==================

A/N- Seriously though. No fucking with Avalon. It fucks back. And it's a lot bigger than you.

Also, this chapter gets a part 2.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  19. theBSDude

theBSDude Space Ace

Missing italics.

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  20. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

Yeah, absolute biosphere control is kind of the final word in defensive and COIN technology.

21. Viterbi

Viterbi Not too sore, are you?

Don't fuck with the CulturePantheon.

22. BlackBulletOfSeven

BlackBulletOfSeven Making the rounds.

Inb4 Avalon becomes a living Death Star.

23. Fouredged

Fouredged Experienced.

Their planet can literally punch your planet in the metaphysical face, so you better not mess with them.

24. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

I think it's important to note that the same system that protects them against aggression would also dissuade colonists. I imagine a lot of people would be afraid to live in a house that your empress could destroy with an errant thought, from half the world away. It'd be like if the President were sitting beside you right now. Yggdrasil means that nobody is far from government.

Some people might accept that for the benefits it offers. I probably wouldn't.

25. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

As long as they stay out of their internet histories people will put up with a lot.

26. Divabot

Divabot KILL ALL THE HUMANS

Even that, if you can get another fifty bird coins in Angry Birds Friends for it.

27. Silvercrystal

Silvercrystal That’s no moon! It’s a Moderator! Moderator

Those who end up colonizing Avalon will probably fit into a few groups;

Those who blindly trust government.
    Those with nothing to hide and are comfortable with 'Big Sister' always watching.
    Thise who feel the current systems are broken and want to help shape a new system.
    The small name independent Heros, rogues, and even minor villains looking for a fresh start/society where they don't need to hide what they can do.
    The Japanese with the whole giving them a replacment country.
    (and those are just the ones I can think of off hand)

28. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

bu
    the Empress's should be expecting a new political movement among the colonists in a few years,Avalonic Patriotism.they would want Taylor and Amelia to have a full control of the world government,then there would the Moderates who would want to create a army or militia to protect their new home.
    this has happened in real life history,with the roman empire,to the american revolution.

29. WizardTwo

WizardTwo Not too sore, are you?

Yeah, its been said, but I'd be terrified of Avalon.

Privacy concerns, and the simple fact that no matter how much they spread their political power around, the two at the top could literally exterminate every single person on the entire planet with a thought.

No matter how nice and stable they are (hah!) you can't ever be sure that they won't just kill everyone one day. Something could happen. Hell, something probably WILL happen.

Political power is a very different animal to flat out 'I can kill you back to the stone age' physical might.

30. Divabot

Divabot KILL ALL THE HUMANS

OTOH, Earth Bet is a shithole and civilisation is collapsing. I think a non-negligible proportion of people will be interested in a new option.