1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Repression, huh? OK, lets talk repression.

Lisa's repressed her sexual drive (assuming she even still has one) for...what 3-4 years? not sure how long before canon starts that Lisa triggered.

Riley's repressed her sexual drive, her emotions, her personality, her morals, her humanity her....need I go on? All while under the tender mercies of Jack Slash, as well as exposed to the horror of dozens of S9 members, each with their own brand of terror, for 6-7 years...AKA more than ½ her life.

Yea...Riley wins out on repression scale, which by your reckoning means Riley'll have more kinks.:D(this forum REALLY needs to get a devil emoticon...)

Snake/Eater, TanaNari and PineTreeq like this.
  2. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Riley didn't have a sex drive to repress. She just recently became interested in boys.

Riley didn't get kinks from Bonesaw, she got horrible nightmares and skeletons gripping her ankles screaming for her end.

3. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

That doesn't make any sense. "If you get brain damage, and your behavior doesn't shift, that shows that the damage is worse than if there was a change."
    Or have half of your brain sleep at a time.

But I don't think it's an unsolvable problem. Actually, if you could make it so that people could consciously control their wakefulness levels without external stimulants like coffee, that would be much simpler and still very useful.
    Plus, any prospective suitor would have to get through her parents, first. Her father has a rapier wit, and her mother has a tendency to shield her. Her mother is the more open of the two, though.

(Side note: It has just occurred to me that Riley has changed parents twice, and both times were because her new parents murdered her old ones.)

4. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

The type of loss of sensation Taylor has in canon is the most minor of ways brain damage can present itself that doesn't affect personality. Extreme/total cases of this loss of sensation is a SEVERE and dangerous medical condition. Many of the resulting problems can and are worse than a personality change.
    We're not Dolphins, and I think they actually have 6 lobes compared to our 2 lobes to work with.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Snake/Eater and PineTreeq like this.
  5. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Greedy bastards.

6. dasstan

dasstan :)

The point being made is that in the fictional world of Amelia, it doesn't matter if we're not dolphins, because there is no reason why the tinkers can't co-opt the concept.

7. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Bah, stupid dolphins are just copying Warhammer. Spacemarines did it better and they decided to try it out for themselves because they were jealous that we have such good ideas.

Beyogi and TanaNari like this.
  8. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Why hasn't Pantheon used their new alliance with Cauldron to ask for their research notes on the formula mixtures to see if they could improve or find a way make it in to a airborne gas that could trigger more people without wasting the rest of their supply.a army of triumvirate level caps and they barely wasted 1 quarter of the vial.with Coils powers they could redo the whole thing till they get it right.

9. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

Citation needed

10. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

To be fair, repression isn't the only way to break out the kinks. Emotional trauma and deep seated guilt also work.

It just occurs to you you now. Yet it was mentioned in story around 200 chapters ago. :p

I'm surprised Games Workshop hasn't sued them.

.... Also, new chapter soon. Woulda been sooner, but Lisa-Rebecca interactions are tough to write. Fun. And worth every bit of the effort. But they take freakin' work.

11. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 266- Lisa
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 266- Lisa

"Good morning, Chief Director," I smiled at Rebecca. Won't be perceived as excess friendliness, I smile at everyone. Most people regard it as condescending and borderline insulting. Most of the time, that's true. In this case, however, the smile was genuine.

"Good morning, High Emissary," she responded back. Using my official title, showing faked amusement overtop real amusement. Fake amusement detectable by others, viewable as a form of contempt for the titles we were using. Real amusement actually is a level of contempt for the new title. She knows I don't respect it any more than she does. It was a sort of tongue in cheek angle, more a way to mock the people who are forced to use it than anything.

I smirked a little. Glad you appreciate the humor. Others would take that at face value, that I saw the contempt and was responding to it in my usual, well documented, way. Instead of the truth, that we were enjoying our private joke right under the noses of everyone around us.

Over months of practice, we'd invented our own psuedo-language with our powers. It changed and evolved constantly. By the end of this meeting, our signals would have yet again changed into a new effective language, making it impossible for anyone else to interpret. The two of us had also reached a sort of equilibrium with my power, allowing me to keep it focused on her constantly without causing migraines.

"First order of business," I started. The briefest flicker of my concern spoke volumes, my worry for her and an apology for the rarity of our talks lately. "The success of the Chevalier-Victoria power interaction."

"It's gone better than I think either of us had hoped," she confirmed. The tilt of her head indicated that she, too, was doing well. "You have the records, of course, twenty seven parahumans thought to be permanently maimed or disabled, restored." Those numbers weren't that high, but that was to be expected. Any parahuman that needed this sort of healing were usually very hard to hurt in the first place, most were wounded by Endbringers. And Endbringers usually preferred to kill, not maim. "And over a hundred Case 53s restored to human appearance. We're beginning to move into cosmetic restorations."

"So soon?" I asked.

"Indeed," she replied. "It appears that the restoration takes less time than originally anticipated." Untrue, cosmetic restorations being done for particularly powerful subjects, a number of less useful seeming parahumans are being 'forgotten' in the 'confusion'. Wants me to know, wonders how I'll react.

"Good to know," I agreed. A slight dip in my smile that would be as obvious as any frown to her. Don't worry, we'll 'discover' this failure ourselves, and take appropriate steps. I was sure Chevalier didn't know about it, or anyone Victoria or I would ever be allowed to meet. I wasn't entirely sure how Rebecca found out, but given her contacts I could make a few guesses.

"Now, let's move on to the less successful project with the restoration saliva," she changed the subject. Knows I have what I need to move forward, trusts I'll find a suitably believable reason to start investigating. The show of trust was, in itself, the most important part of what went unsaid between us.

"Well, you have the reports," I sighed. "We're still trying, but we've hit nothing but dead ends on replicating the fluid in a way that triggers the healing properties. We are achieving results by exposing artificial test organisms to deadly diseases and then treating them with the healing fluid. It produces useful antibodies for almost any infection or parasite, even ones that normally shouldn't be influenced by antibodies at all, and those we can synthesize with relative ease. It's not the universal cure we were hoping for, but it's the gate key to a whole new era of medical treatment and technology. Sadly, it's the best we can do."

"That's still quite an accomplishment," she replied. Open praise, neutral voice, minor inflection on the word 'still'. She wouldn't be seen as outside her position to offer a minor compliment under the circumstances. But moreso, she was letting me know that, if anything, it was better this way. A true universal cure would be disastrous for the world as we knew it, ruining livelihoods and creating even greater stratification between nations. It wasn't the sort of thing she could say, given her position. There were no laws against her thinking it.

I signaled back my agreement with a visible nod, my eyes glancing down. She wasn't wrong, Pantheon's goal of positioning itself as essential in the eyes of every nation, bringing stability through dependence, was far better served by having this ability than a true panacea could accomplish for us. The down glance was a reminder of the Yggdrasil, and would also bring to her mind the sewer system we used to functionally conquer Brockton Bay. This was one more way we could accomplish those goals.

I smiled slightly when I looked back up, making eye contact through the excellently designed video system that used the monitor itself as a camera. This was to assure her that we didn't do this on purpose, that we did everything in our power to accomplish that one perfect cure for everything. She relaxed a tiny amount, letting me know she was glad for the reassurance. She would have been perfectly fine with us lying about it, but it was better that we didn't have to. For a number of obvious reasons, like plausible deniability.

"I believe that covers everything," I admitted. Only Rebecca would recognize the disappointment in that statement. "But if I may ask, how's Chevalier coping with our liason? His report was notably lacking in opinions. I'd like to know how he and the PRT in general feel about this." Not that it stopped me from figuring this information out on my own. The poor guy was torn between wanting to murder her in her sleep, and wanting to kiss her. Figuratively speaking, on both counts. Still, it gave an excuse to extend the conversation, and it made my power look less than it really was.

"He likes her well enough that he didn't file a complaint when she snipe-recruited Sveta," Rebecca informed me. Her eyes crinkled just a little, a sign of her amusement in how transparent I was being, by our standards, of not wanting to be the one who hung up first. A light, involuntary, fidget on my part was a significant tell. We both knew she got me. She continued speaking. "In spite of her being one of the more powerful parahumans we've managed to restore thus far." Her voice sounded disapproving of this fact, but I knew better. She wasn't bothered, didn't care if we got the capes or the Protectorate did, beyond how it looked to the officials.

"I'll ask her to be more respectful of our joint venture in the future," I conceded. Meanwhile, I was talking to Rebecca via powers. I won't, Vicky knows restraint in situations like this, her powers let her know what she can get away with, and how to get what she wants, most of the time. Sveta was a special case because of just how powerful she was once reworked into a human shape. "Speaking of, how's Alexandria enjoying her new physiology?"

"She's impressed," Rebecca told me. This time the sign was a deliberate dilation of the formerly fake pupil, displaying conscious control of otherwise automatic feature. Implying similar control of every aspect of her body. Superior musculature more suited for other species of primate meant an overall increase in strength, flexibility, and reaction time. Especially the reaction time. Coupled with a limited version of Vicky's ability to overclock her body. "Says that she can't do a proper test until the next Endbringer conflict, but expects a full twenty five percent increase in combat effectiveness."

"That's a pretty remarkable improvement," I agreed. She knows I'm talking about the control, not the declared markup. She also knows this conversation point would remind the observers of just how valuable our arrangement was. The fact that it drew attention to Alexandria's working friendship with myself, and made me look like I was acting my age by being openly interested in my friends, was all bonuses in their own right. "I look forward to talking to her about it in person." Minor implied apology for not being able to make more time, and an understanding that I can be friends with Alexandria, but Chief Director Costa-Brown isn't an option. Professionalism and all that bullshit.

The alarm beeped. "Looks like you should be careful what you wish for," she spoke, hanging up the call immediately. Quip, deliberately curt, agreeing with the clear divide between her personas, knows I won't be offended, expects feed could be monitored, believes it almost certainly will be monitored. Rude cutoff was a calculated move under the circumstances meant to seem like a heat of the moment act. Implying that the Chief Director wasn't particularly fond of talking to me at all. Like pretty much every politician I'd ever known.

I was already up and moving. Over the next couple minutes, we'd gathered our teams, with exception to Victoria, who was semi-officially part of Chevalier's team for this conflict. Lily was the first of our branches to appear, although the rest of Faultline's crew was again notably absent from the gathering.

"Janus is getting the LA team right now," she told us as she approached. Apprehensive, worried, hasn't talked to Sabah in the last couple days. Concerned about their relationship, needs reassurances from Sabah. "Do we know what we're facing?"

"Unsure," Taylor replied. "Probably an attack on the USA, maybe Canada. Profile also unknown. We're getting one of the new ones."

Another set of people started appearing. Crystal and Sabah I recognized immediately, but the other three were new members of her team took me a moment. Sveta, Anima and Genius Loci. They had other members, but they weren't suitable for the 'new' way Endbringers were being fought. Only those that were likely to survive were being sent into battle these days, the zerg were the feed for the meat grinder.

"That's... that's fucking impossible," Taylor cursed at the triangulation data. I glanced at mine. Oh fuck.

"Clearly it's not," I replied. "The Endbringer is targeting Brockton Bay."

=============

A/N- I really, truly, love everything about this chapter.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  12. dasstan

yet
    ba-dum-ch.

It's nice that Lisa and Becky have people they can speak to on their own level. A lot of their interaction reminded me of the Moriarty/Sherlock mind battle A Game of Shadows. Obviously with friendlier overtones, of course.

Incidentally, how are we supposed to come up with a ship name for Chevalier/Vicky when we don't have his name?
    edit: Hopefully he doesn't get saddled with whatever the male equivalent of Deborah is. :confused:

13. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Man, this Lisa/Rebecca thing is getting intense. It's one thing to have others note that there's an entire conversation going on under the speech, but actually seeing it happen is kind of intimidating; they're so proficient at reading cues and body language, they can talk about secret topics in public.

"High Emissary" is an awkward sort of title. Who the hell came up with that, anyways? Chief Diplomat or Director of Foreign Relations are equally stuffy, but not so pretentious. Then again, Pantheon isn't a subtle organization.

Ryuketsu, eNBious, Faraway-R and 9 others like this.
  14. dasstan

I think they might be subcontracting out to GU for naming conventions.

15. Snake/Eater

Chevalier/Vicky - the Mighty Sword and the Magnificent Shield.

16. powerofvoid

powerofvoid Versed in the lewd.

Cape names. Chevictoria

17. pepperjack

When are they gonna baaaang

(well okay I guess they do it with their eyes but still)

Yeah, jeez, Lisa, how transparent can you get? You almost wouldn't need superpowers to figure that out. I bet everybody knows by now.

I'm not gonna say it.

18. dasstan

If it makes you feel any better, it still doesn't do a whole lot in regards to Lisa's TMI issues?

Zarohk, TanaNari and powerofvoid like this.
  19. powerofvoid

powerofvoid Versed in the lewd.

*flexes armpit hair*

20. pepperjack

It makes me feel worse. :(

21. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

It has been noted that all we have on this topic is a oneshot line from Lisa towards Aisha in the lategame when Aisha says that since everything is going to hell, they should do the typical thing and go find some nookie. There's no way to know if Lisa was being honest or just throwing out some BS because she just wasn't feeling up to it at the moment.

Any evidence to the contrary is just false information from the heathen non-believers!

22. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

We don't need his name. Chevalier x Miss Militia is 'Silverado'. With Vicky... Camaro might work, or maybe Impala.

23. pepperjack

You've made a convert of me, doomlord9. Hope is not lost. They may yet bang!

Car puns make me tired.

(Maybe I just lack the enginuity to come up with any of my own.)

24. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

My headcanon is that they have done it at the Christmas party infront of everyone, Victoria wasn't sure to call them out on it or just go outside to laugh.

25. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

...Lisa, you've just lost any and all right to say anything, ever, about Taylia.

Honestly, I'd say you two should fuck and get it over with, but I think you're well past that stage in a relationship.

26. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I roll dice on the top 1000 most common names in the USA. Weighted with three 10 sided dice put in lowest numerical order.

Deborah was #25 on the female list. #25 on the male list is Matthew.

Lisa.

27. Snake/Eater

So Flirtn' With Disaster is in play....i wonder which one is going to jump over the edge first...:D

28. Beyogi

Beyogi I trust you know where the happy button is?

And I thought it was Dragon while roleplaying the then future Avalon Queendom :)

29. dasstan

Matty and Debbie. *retching noises*

Do you do it by approximate birth year for the characters, or what? Cause I'm guessing that Chev is somewhere in his mid 20's, and Matthew ranked in the top ten for most of the 80s.

Divabot likes this.
  30. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

AFAIK he's in his upper 30s. He was already in the Protectorate for his canon interlude in '03, and I don't know if there was a year given for when he was Relentless but it feels like it would have been in the early-mid 90s.

Snake/Eater, dasstan and TanaNari like this.