1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 268
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 268

Brockton Bay. "I thought they targeted places that were caught up in conflict!" I exclaimed. "Brockton Bay might be the most peaceful city of its size in the world right now." WorryAgreementConfusion.

"The Endbringers aren't obeying the same rules anymore," Lisa responded. "We can't trust anything we thought we knew about them. Except that, whatever this Endbringer is capable of, it thinks it can win this fight. Or achieve whatever goal it is that's going to damage us. I'm beginning to suspect we've managed to piss off the Endmakers. This attack is personal."

FocusDetermination. God I hope she has a plan. CertaintyAssurance. "Janus, Lachesis, you're on rescue duty. Get every single person you can out of the city. Go to the shelters, people are going to gather there. If this thing's trying to hurt us personally, and its makers are paying any kind of attention at all to us, it's going to have powers that target the city itself, and the people in it. I'll do my part to lead people to you. See if I can't convince them to take the Shadowcats out of town."

They're right. Tohu and Bohu killed half of the team, and it didn't do much more than slow us down a little. But going after the town, itself? That would be devastating.

Crystal spoke up. "Umm... some of my team can help. Anima summons things." A unicorn shimmered into existence near the girl dressed in a really fancy looking knight's armor. Both her armor, and the unicorn, looked more like a really well drawn cartoon drawing than they did real things.

"Any fantasy creature or object, really," the girl I was assuming was Anima spoke up. "They're force projections, but I don't need to concentrate on them. People might be more inclined to ride a unicorn than the giant bug monsters."

"Range limit?" Taylor asked.

"None," she replied. "Just a total energy pool to draw from. I can make about fifty of the unicorns if I don't do anything else. They even have minds of their own, sort of, and they always seem to know where I am and if I need them, and come back to be reabsorbed." ImpressedUseful. No kidding, that is a fucking amazing power.

"Okay, every bit helps," Taylor admitted. "I'm already finding people and letting them know what to expect. Can you let your summons know to obey other people?"

"Sort of," she replied. "They're finicky. Long as you tell them that I asked them to do whatever it is you need them to do, they'll probably listen. Just... look, they got their personalities when I got my powers, at twelve years old, and those personalities haven't changed since. The shrinks say they run on my subconscious belief of what fantasy creatures are suppose to act like. Through the lens of a twelve year old." She paused for a moment "I don't like summoning the ones that can talk."

"Okay, I can work with that," Taylor nodded. "Summon them, let them know to each pick a different one of the shadowcats and follow them. I'll give them better instructions in the field, as I need them. Crystal, the other one?"

"Genius Loci," Crystal replied, gesturing at the boy. Or young man, I wasn't entirely sure. The costume was , much like Anima, full body armor. Though in his case it was a rather small suit of actual metal. Frankly, it looked a lot like the tin man from Wizard of Oz, as opposed to Anima's gorgeously decorated full plate of gold and pearl.

"I'm a breaker and shaker," he spoke, a deep echo coming from the armor. "It's hard to explain, but if you need me to, I can open paths through buildings, create walls or bridges, increase or decrease the durability of whatever I'm controlling, and have sensory awareness in the areas I'm effecting."

"We might be able to use that. Hop on." One of the shadow cats approached him. "I'll take you where I need you." He climbed on. "Tir, Hecate, I need the two of you to work on collapsing our portal. That thing might have some kind of power similar to Gaea." Oh fuck. "Or god only knows what kind of hell it might be able to do. We can't let it get access to Avalon's portal. Everyone else? We have to hit it as hard as fucking possible, immediately. Don't give it time to fight back, or we're going to lose our city."

We managed to get seven minutes of time to pull people out. I wasn't sure the numbers, but whatever they were, they weren't enough. Couldn't possibly be even a tenth of the total population. I had to pray the others could do their part. This is the worst part, watching everyone else work while there's nothing I can do. My powers are for before and after the battles, not during.

Then the Endbringer appeared. It was subtle at first, a slowly gathering mist that formed from nowhere, condensing into a single point. Before the process was even complete, the blasters were hitting it with everything they had, and most of the shots were passing right through, shredding the landscape and often narrowly missing other attackers. The ones that could be saved were saved, now the hard part began.

"Activating override blocks," Trevor informed us. "Assuming control of emergency shunt systems." In other words, if someone tries to take control of the zerg, he can yank them out of the fight.

The attacks didn't seem to phase her, any. And she was a she, or an imitation of such. She was roughly the same height as the Simurgh, but where her sister was a parody of supermodel thin, this one was anorexic skinny, more like a skeleton with loosely fitting skin. Her body a transparent slightly blue color that made her look like a glass statue or ice sculpture, standing atop one of the newly rebuilt office complexes in the heart of the city.

"It's the most human looking of the Endbringers," I stated. "Is that significant?"

"Maybe," Lisa replied. "We know each Endbringer has a psychological component. Symbolism. If so, something about this one's behavior combined with its human appearance might be a clue to the psychology of its creators. Although how is anyone's guess."

Eidolon opened up with his new, now signature, disintegration power. He hadn't let it go since he started using it last time. ConcernRealization. I glanced at Taylor. She's right, it might be trying force Eidolon to use the same attack that completely destroyed Bucharest.

Alexandria was in the follow through, impaling the Endbringer with a spear, and continuing forward until her knee met its face. The body cracked like the glass or ice it resembled, then fused itself back together.

"Where's its core?" Lily asked over the coms. She'd already joined in the fight, of course, firing shots into the monster.

"Doesn't have one," Lisa muttered, staring hard at the dimensional illusion that let us watch the battle from our safe spot. "Or maybe it's more appropriate to say that every part of it's the core. It's completely decentralized, no single part is more important than any other part, and as long as there's anything remaining, it can rebuild itself from that."

"Right, we have to hit it in the everywhere," Lily answered. She dived toward the Endbringer, her wings spread. She passed through and the creature shattered into dust. Lily herself cut through two stories of building before halting herself.

Then we got to see what it could actually do. The ground shimmered and dissolved as the dust pulled itself back together. Buildings were reduced to ash that joined the new Endbringer's mass. When it resumed human form, it was larger. Healthy looking, if still on the unnaturally skinny side, and standing in the shallow crater that used to be part of three different city blocks. The edge of the destruction was marked by a visible curve along the buildings. Inside the destructive effect, everything was consumed. Outside, the building still stood there normally, save where some pieces fell into the gap.

Alexandria came in for another attack, and Endbringer moved, stepping out of the way and attempting to clothesline the woman. She was fast enough to avoid that blow, and even the followup attempt to knee her, but then the other hand caught her arm. Icelike material started working its way across her arm.

"It's trying to eat her," Lisa gasped. "Thats this one's power. It infects matter and converts it into Endbringer crystal to add to itself."

HorrorDread. "How do we even fight something like that?" I asked.

"Contain it," Taylor replied. She switched over to the armband system. "All shield projectors, converge on the Endbringer. We're going to pin it in place."

The new Phalanx had started getting into position, forcefields flickering into place. Alexandria vanished from the Endbringer's grip. Eric's power, or maybe another teleporter. More and more layers of shield added to the structure, fusing inside one another. Others started contributing as well, and I recognized both Narwhal and Dragon's versions overlapping our barricade.

The Endbringer slammed into the barricade, causing it to flicker. Some shields collapsed, others were added to replace them. We knew the Phalanx would recharge in a few minutes, so those were always shifted into place to take the brunt of the hits in the way that caused the least possible damage to the more powerful, but harder to restore, layers behind. Once again, I couldn't help but be in awe of just how Taylor could handle so much changing information at once.

"Shunting over the nanothorn bomb," Dragon informed us. This was our chance to kill it. If the thing didn't have the density of other Endbringers, then maybe the improved nanothorn weaponry would do the job.

There was a brief flash, and then the inside of the forcefield was filled with gray mist, the effects of the nanothorns in action. It destroyed things on the atomic level, at least until the matter got too durable. Hopefully it would be enough.

===============

A/N- Spoiler alert. Not gonna be enough.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  2. NinjaDebugger

NinjaDebugger Getting out there.

There's a dust cloud, of course it survived.

3. The Shadowmind

The Shadowmind Well worn.

So Living Ice-9 the Endbringer?

Ryuketsu, Buggy123, Twei and 6 others like this.
  4. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Here's betting that the Endbringer converts the nanothorns to crystal, and gets a new weapon.

5. powerofvoid

powerofvoid Versed in the lewd.

Maybe Tiberium?

6. Mogget

Mogget Know what you're doing yet?

This Endbringer acts suspiciously like Eidolon's new power, what with the whole converting the environment into energy/crystal.

7. dasstan

dasstan :)

Aw. Look at her trying to be just like her Papa!

edit: Imp'd.

8. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

9. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Can they shoot Eidolon's subconscious yet? This is getting ridiculous.

10. dasstan

QFT. Honestly, just give him the Coil treatment already.

11. Inverness

Inverness The Foxiest Wife

This sounds like a great way to have a second Behemoth, Leviathan, and Ziz show up.

12. Fouredged

Fouredged Experienced.

It is suspiciously weak to the one power that Eidolon is still holding on to. COME ON TATTLETALE! WAKE UP AND SMELL THE CONFLICT!

Flukes, Unelemental, Divabot and 3 others like this.
  13. steamrick

steamrick Matter: protons, electrons, neutrons and morons

All we need is for Eidolon to change half the Endbringer's matter into antimatter.
    Instant complete matter annihilation -> easy win, right? Right?

I don't think any of your readers expected that it would be enough.

14. Inverness

Inverness The Foxiest Wife

I'm really wondering how long it will take until Lisa or someone else figures out its Eidolon. :eek:

15. dasstan

She figured it out 35 minutes ago. Keeping people in the dark suits her nefarious plot to save humanity.

16. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

People keep referencing to things I don't know.

Umm... actually this one's strong against that power. Passes right through.

17. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Obligatory:

18. Diller

Diller Versed in the lewd.

Wow Eidolon's subconscious must've have been pissed that Tohu and Bohu didn't put Panthenon down permanently.

This shit is ridiculous.

19. Jackercracks

Jackercracks At Two With Nature

I would definitely destroy the Endbringer if you were to do that. Probably also the city... and the state... and the continent... probably most of the planet would be uninhabitable and/or destroyed. Endbringers have a lot of matter.

20. kenhikaru

kenhikaru Not too sore, are you?

I can dream dammit. Or I could've, before the author killed said dreams.

Snake/Eater, daimahou and TanaNari like this.
  21. dasstan

Magic ice that turns other water it touches into more magic ice.

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  22. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Divabot, Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  23. Fouredged

Fouredged Experienced.

I read it as it passed through doing full damage, but didn't do anything because the endbringer can't be killed without killing the whole body all at once. He MAY just have to go bigger and catch the whole thing in one hit.

WOG though, not about to tell the author he is wrong. You may want to clarify your intent with the above. I understood it to be the realization that big E can kill it if he goes all out with that power, at the cost of high damage to the area. This fulfills BOTH the the desire to slap Pantheon in the face by wiping out their city and boosting big E's self worth.

24. SamPardi

SamPardi Versed in the lewd.

You know... If Eric can transport an entire Endbringer then just having Lily standing less than a millimeter away from the exit wormhole, possibly with force-field assistance to act as a funnel, should essentially compress it and force-feed it all directly at her. In Sting mode that would pretty much end this one right there.

25. Fouredged

Fouredged Experienced.

We shall call this Plan "Rock Hard Abs of DOOM!"

26. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

They sing. They sing, don't they, god, I pity her...

GASP!

So, if this doesn't work I'm imagining every new Endbringer or attack starts showing up in Brockton Bay, and eventually no one in Pantheon is surprised, just annoyed because they have to find a cape that hates them and there's too many to choose from.

27. Starfox5

Starfox5 Experienced.

The first plan working and killing an endbringer would be a twist.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  28. Beyogi

Beyogi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Who could have guessed. Standard shit won't work as the endmaker knows all your standard shit.

Can Tattletail please figure it out. I mean it gets ridiculous at this point. It's not endbringers vs the world anymore, it's endbringers vs Pantheon.

29. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

They already know that. The question isn't that the Endmakers are assholes who hate anyone who's making the world a better place. That's a gimme. The question is who the fuck, out of a population of billions of possible assholes on the planet, would be responsible.

Remember- they already know the Endmakers have interdimensional capabilities (after all, half of the Endbringers hide in different dimensions, now)- so they have no real proof that they're even natives to Bet.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  30. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

It would be a real twist for the Endmaker to not be Eidolon in this fic. It's accepted fanon, and there's some good circumstantial evidence for it in canon, but it's never outright confirmed. So there's always the possibility of some lunatic Tinker hiding under the Earth, building these things.