1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 279- Riley
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 279- Riley

Clarice was nearly autonomous by this point. I'd had to upgrade her so many times that she was just inches shy of violating Rule Four and creating intelligent life. Her brain stem functioned, she even had neural patterns that let her learn and adapt, in a limited sort of way. More like programmable instincts than true intelligence. But what, really, was intelligence if not programmable instincts?

I went to my next patient. She was an older lady, mid sixties was my first glance guess. I glanced at the chart. Lacerations from broken glass, possibly debris left in injuries. Broken arm. Patient lucid when found. Pollen and peanut allergies reported. There was then a list of medications the woman was taking. Including the usual suspects of blood thinners and vitamin supplements that made her a priority case instead of ones that normal doctors and nurses were dealing with.

The healing chambers did not play well with pharmaceuticals, which left me, Emma and Rey as the only ones qualified to adjust the pods' functions for those medications. And, of course, Amelia. Big Sister could simply clean out the drugs and heal without the need for the pods.

"Goodness, you seem awful young to be doing this kind of work," the woman spoke as I read her chart.

"It's my powers, Mrs. Gardner," I told her. "I'm super smart about some stuff. Medicine's one of those things."

"I see," the woman relaxed a little. Signs of shock, blood loss, possible internal bleeding, obvious adrenaline and endorphine withdrawal. None of which were any kind of surprise under the circumstances.

"It's up to you, would you like me to get someone else to do the surgery?" I offered. It had happened a few times, today, where I'd have to ask for a doctor to come in and handle things instead. Which mostly consisted of me telling the doctor what to do.

"No, no, that's fine," she answered. "Am I hurt enough to need parahuman help?"

"Don't know," I half lied. The more I looked at her, the more I concluded she needed expert help. The part that was true is that I didn't know if there was a non parahuman here that was qualified for the job. I pulled out one of the med capsules. "But we're not going to take any chances."

"Am I going to have to swallow that?" she looked at the capsule unhappily.

"No," I replied, sitting next to her. I pressed the thing against her arm. It recognized what it was suppose to do, and fused itself into her skin, the equivalent of ten thousand flea mouths, injecting instead of sucking.

"That's the nicest injection I've ever had," the woman smiled. The drugs were hitting her system, now. All the pain numbing powers of heroin with none of the side effects, mental or physical. Plus a cocktail of other tinker designed medications to let us perform the surgeries with minimal risk and improve the effectiveness of the healing pods.

"Thanks," I replied. Oops, probably shouldn't have said that. She didn't seem to catch the implication. "We're hoping to get it approved for general use in the next five years." The scalpel function in my armor sliced through the woman's bandages, exposing the injuries. I went to work carefully pulling nearly microscopic fragments of glass and other debris. Some of it was irrelevant- wood and dirt, anything even semiorganic, would be easily dealt with by the pods. I removed it anyway.

"That's something to look forward to," she replied, almost happily watching as I opened her wounds to clean inside them, followed by a spritzing of an artificial stem cell substance that would quickly rebuild the interior damage. "Think those vampires that do my blood work will use it?"

"Maybe," I answered. "Do you have anywhere to go? After you're all better?"

"I think so," she sighed. "My grandson has a nice place in Boston I can stay at for a while, until the insurance comes in for my shop." I could tell she wasn't sure about that. Nervousness may be dulled by the medication, but the whole point of it not being a mind altering substance is that it didn't alter the mind, so she was still able to worry. And there were many problems to worry about right now.

"What kind of shop?" I asked.

"A clothing boutique," she answered. "I was in it when everything happened. As old as I am, I couldn't get to a shelter in time. I hid behind the counter. After Stanly died, it was all I have left." It was obvious by the way she spoke that the death wasn't recent.

Clothing? Wait, Missy kept her clothes at home. Plus some in the Embassy. Either way, it was all destroyed. "I'll buy them," I offered.

"Excuse me?" the woman replied.

"You have clothes small enough for someone my age, right?" I asked. Meanwhile, I had moved on to her arm. Obvious break near the shoulder, less obvious break in the wrist. She fell on it hard.

"Some," she agreed. "Do you want them?"

"I want all of it," I told her. "The whole inventory of clothing. Maybe some other stuff, but definitely all the clothing."

"Oh, dear, you don't have to do that," she argued.

"We lost our homes, too," I told her. "Or most of us on the team did. Most of us don't have more than one change of outfits left, so we're going to have to buy more no matter what. And there are lots of others in the city who've lost everything they own, so we can give away anything we don't need. It makes sense."

"I wouldn't want to take advantage," she argued. "You're so young."

"Money's not a problem, if that's what you're worried about," I insisted. It really wasn't. I may not have gotten a cut from the bounties on the Simurgh or any of the more profitable villains we've stopped, but I made plenty from the tech sold to Dragon, and the beginnings of an income from the most simplistic medical technology I had designed. Plus I had my share from my contributions to Rey, Emma, and Trevor's work. I was set for the next seven or eight hundred years at the moment, depending on inflation.

She hesitated. I could imagine what was going through her head. She didn't want to impose on me, but my argument made sense and she did need the money to save her shop. If not its actual, physical, location, then at least that she had a business at all. Offloading the bulk of her merchandise gave her money to stay afloat. She had probably resigned herself to hoping insurance would cover the damages and the inevitable looting that would come later.

"If you're really that worried, you can give me a discount for buying in bulk," I prompted. I liked her. She's what I imagined my grandma might have been like, in the briefest bits of memories I had that could have been about her. Of course, as unreliable as my memory was before I improved it, I could easily be wrong.

"Okay," she relented. "You've talked me into it."

"Thank you," I smiled, having moved my prodding down to her side, looking for any signs of internal injuries. There was clearly plenty of bruising, but the preliminaries didn't reveal anything significant. Nothing the healing pod wouldn't handle. "We'll have to wait until you recover before we figure out all the details. I think there are ethics laws against a doctor making a business deal with a drugged patient while performing surgery on them. If not then there probably should be."

She laughed, or at least tried to. The muscle relaxants in the drug mixture prevented sudden, jerking, muscle movements like laughter. Also good for sneezing, hiccups, and at least reducing the risk of self injury during seizures. "Probably," she agreed. "How long will it take to recover?"

"Three or four hours at the most," I answered. "But I'll be extra nice and put you down for a full night." It wasn't just me being 'nice', her internal injuries required attention, and her age would slow the process as the mineral and nutrient infusions would be demanded by other parts of her body. Someone younger could have walked away after an hour or two. She really would require six hours, seven to be certain. It's just that the training I'd downloaded suggested trying to make patients feel like they were getting special treatment, but not too special.

"That fast?" she marveled. "I remember they kept Stanly in the hospital for two weeks after his first heart attack."

"That fast," I confirmed. I pulled out my pad and started jotting down information. "If you'll excuse me for a second." I stepped up and moved toward the exit of the curtain, peaking out and flagging one of the nurses. He started walking over. They knew the drill, now. "I've done what I can for you, now you just need rest. The nurse will take you to one of the pods."

The man arrived, he was 'just' another nurse, with pretty bog standard education. He did understand directions, at least. I handed him the piece of paper and a couple pellets. All the instructions he needed, and the drugs he was to put in her pod after she was inside. Frankly, it was less complex than doing laundry.

"I understand," she smiled at me. "There are others who need help."

"Thank you for understanding," I smiled, then turned and left. The next priority case would be only about ten feet away.

"Such a delightful girl," Mrs Gardner said to the nurse, I only caught it thanks to the armor's enhancements. I smiled even wider.

=================

A/N- Don't worry, I think I'm done with the 'immediate aftermath' chapters and can move on now.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  2. UltimateGrr

UltimateGrr I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wonder how that little old woman would feel if she knew BONESAW just did surgery on her.

Though it seems Riley really is a good girl now.

Also, mah first post. I'll remember it forever.

Ryuketsu, DeclanDSI, eNBious and 33 others like this.
  3. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Huzzah! Riley M.D..

4. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Welcome welcome. Remember a vote for Tanuki Tyranny is a vote for fluffiness. :3

5. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

To Summarize the Missy chapter .she catches Theo staring at Clarice's mushroom butt,then bring up moving with him to secretly help control his shroom addiction,everybody is happy.
    but Clarice is possibly a few iq points away from singing about the ol'mushroom Blues.Riley on the other hand is becoming fond of treating patients.

Twei, Obliviated fan, Alayne and 3 others like this.
  6. AyiosKat

AyiosKat Know what you're doing yet?

Down with the Tanuki! We need a Roman emperor! Roma Invicta! ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΝ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥΩΝ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥΣΙΝ!

Volkogluk, Divabot, Beyogi and 3 others like this.
  7. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

extra "

I laughed.

Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  8. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Riley is a good girl. A little old lady said so. It's official now, her momma can rest in peace.

Now to graduate to being a good young woman. A much more difficult and onerous undertaking.

9. dasstan

dasstan :)

But what if Theo likes bad girls? :oops:

10. Snake/Eater

he's one person away in his harem of having the four angels of the apocalypse(Missy is Conquest,Clarice is War,Riley is Death).

11. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Then Riley will just have to change his mind.

Faraway-R, PineTreeq, Divabot and 2 others like this.
  12. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

That's what Missy's there for.

To beat some sense into him.

13. dasstan

I don't think Clarice counts. She's just a really well put together puppet.

TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  14. Snake/Eater

but most theologians speculate weather or not War and Death are the same entity.thus War would just be a puppet for Death.

Obliviated fan and TanaNari like this.
  15. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

A cheese catches up...

Someone's already said as much, I'm sure, but it's cute how Alexandria thinks she's immune to Khepri's powers.

I learned a new idiom. Thank you kindly, dasstan.

You are evil! Everyone said so, but I didn't believe them...

Nooo! I likes them! Moar, plz?

B-but she has a brainstem! And programmable instincts! How dare you deny her personhood?

Monster.

16. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

So much d'awwwwwwww.

Though "fist glance guess" was probably supposed to be "first glance guess".

Riley being nice and sweet enough to charm an old lady. I like it.

17. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Incidentally, does this have a TVtropes page yet, and if not, why not?

18. GiftofLove

Starting to wonder how long before Dinah gets sucked up into the gravitational pull that is Missy's swag.

So adult. Very relationships. Much mature. Wow.

19. Snake/Eater

so that would make her Famine...figures,after all numbers are her specialty.

Alexandercctv and TanaNari like this.
  20. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Maybe she'll catch someone else's eye, and within a year or so she'll be playmates with a tween (de-aged) Contessa.

They can share hats and trade suit tips.

21. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

You're jumping to conclusions. It's Riley, she might have put visual organs of some sort in her fist.

22. tarrangar

tarrangar Versed in the lewd.

Nah just let the Tanuki think it's the ruler it will learn that it's just an emergency food supply next time we run out of food.

Biigoh, AyiosKat, Diller and 3 others like this.
  23. SamPardi

SamPardi Versed in the lewd.

I can't help but wonder if that line is a reference to a certain crow. Because if it is it's 100% funnier for it.

Biigoh, Diller and TanaNari like this.
  24. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

The traditional set is definitively Conquest / War / Death / Famine. Modern confusion is mostly due to how 'Conquest' subtly changed its meaning over the last two millennia, seeming to merge with War, and industrial-era writers replacing it with Pestilence.

IMO the best candidate for Famine, after Khepri (ohgodlocusts), is probably Noelle, whom we haven't seen in a long time. *HINT*

dasstan, TanaNari, Beyogi and 2 others like this.
  25. Hiver

Hiver Getting out there.

I'm trying to remember... did we have absolute confirmation that Aisha actually died? What if she second triggered and is now completely undetectable, no matter what she do.

26. dasstan

In Amelia, there is no absolute confirmation. The author is a lying liar who lies, and the characters are fallible. The only way we'll know for sure is there is a surprise Aisha interlude (which would be apropos, considering her powers), or a Scion one that makes note of her.

27. moontheir4

moontheir4 Nothing to see here. Move along.

There have actually been several Aisha interludes so far. You just don't remember them.

28. GiftofLove

Oh snap! Turns out that Aisha's second trigger lets her steal other people's identities so good she doesn't even realize she's doing it. The real Taylor died with the rest of the Undersiders.

That's right, one of the main characters has been dead for the entirety of the story and no one realized it until now.

29. Snake/Eater

So...Aisha's is god ...or the devil the whole time(vague Battlestar Galactica reference) :D

daimahou and TanaNari like this.
  30. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

To be fair, if Alexandria hadn't been threatening her and had instead just punched her everything out then Skitter would have been shit out of luck.

Beyogi, EragonVsHarry and TanaNari like this.