1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Perhaps I'm biased because I have worked with linguists, and because I'm a fan of JRR Tolkien and I've read his letters including this one.

But... a bias due to being better informed doesn't actually reduce the value of my position, does it?

Zooboss likes this.
  2. evildice

Yes, in the section on use by Nazis and White Supremacists.

[​IMG]

Therefore, if Trevor is using the word in the same way, then it's saying something about Trevor. Maybe this is correct and it's intended to be a clue about Trevor's background or character, but that doesn't seem to mesh with what we've seen so far.

3. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

How are you better informed? You simply seem to be refusing to acknowledge that the word has another meaning. No, using it this way does not make one a Nazi or a Nazi sympathizer. This is it's well known usage in the states.

4. evildice

It has a meaning which springs solely from made-up Nazi propaganda, and is used predominantly by contemporary White Supremacist groups (which may or may not be Nazi sympathizers, that's not a deciding factor here).

There are plenty of characters in Worm who could use the word like that, because they are in fact members of a White Supremacist group.

But people who aren't members of such a group really ought to not act like they are.

- - -

Maybe this is a regional thing? In the north-east USA, people don't use "Aryan" to talk about blonds unless they want that connotation.

the DragonBard likes this.
  5. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

I got it immediately as well... I gots the brains that make the smart.
    I'm scared you might win too.....do it, lol.
    NTR?
    Especially in a battle of wits.
    and there's Pantheon's phase 4 of the Scion battle.
    And yet upon seeing a swastika, no one and has the first thought of "Buddhist symbol of peace."

Like or dislike it, Hitler happened, and we're still feeling the affects of his campaign decades later.

Ryuketsu, SorTeia, TanaNari and 2 others like this.
  6. tilkau

tilkau Not too sore, are you?

They're not. This is not how language propagates. The "Aryan Ideal" was something that was defined by Hitler. And then, it made its way into general language. Language understood by not only Nazis or White supremacists, but anyone who could figure out the intended meaning. You can't reverse that -- a descriptive word that had bad origins is still descriptive and will be used until a better replacement comes along.
    Believe me, historical inaccuracy will stop exactly no-one when it comes to twisting language to do their bidding.

Trevor's been in BB some time. He knows Theo's origins. Why is 'Aryan' coming up in this context anything more than a gimme? He's just a teenager, not a linguistics professor.

(The connotation you specify is problematic. It would, for example, render all historians that cover that time period as Nazi or white supremacist sympathizers.)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  7. evildice

Well, to be fair, I have never been a Buddhist, so that's not a peeve of mine. If that's your peeve, I wish you luck.

My peeve is about linguistics.

Not in my region, which happens to be the region where Worm takes place.

What's your region?

Theo talking like that would be totally understandable, and would certainly say something about his background.

Trevor talking like that could be saying something. Or it could just be an error.

So I'm pointing it out, and hoping for a reply from TanaNari.

8. Helpless Kitten

Helpless Kitten A dumb asexual cat

*looks up at people arguing* Well that's a five pounds of 'I don't care if someone is wrong on the internet' in a two pound bag.

edale NTR is short for a Japanese word. Neotare I think. I could easily be wrong. It references a particularly strange theme in hentai that basically boils down to stealing someone's girlfriend. I must be missing some bananas cause I don't really get the appeel... Sorry, I have a condition where I occasionally pun uncontrollably.

9. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

And you're slipping.

Ryuketsu, PineTreeq and TanaNari like this.
  10. Alterego9

Alterego9 Know what you're doing yet?

Netorare, basically a cuckold fetish genre in hentai, often involving a girl getting gangraped until liking it in front of her boyfriend.

11. Diller

Diller Versed in the lewd.

Ignoring the on going conversation

It seems that Panthenon has stumbled onto Scion's weakness. They just don't know it yet though I wonder why the power interaction keeps recreating Eden's Garden.

12. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

My reply is to point out you could have saved yourself and others a lot of effort simply by paying attention to the sentence.

That word kinda makes it clear that Trevor's using the next words with at least some level of awareness. And likely contempt.

Happened in canon, too. The Bitch-Sundancer interaction.

By the way, cão, Portuguese for dog. I am so clever. (Not really).

Usually when I say "maybe" it's either a plot spoiler and I won't say. Or because I honestly don't know the answer. I didn't know about the Riley/Missy/Theo triangle until two chapters or so before I wrote it.

Yeah, me too.

I actually plan to do such an omake of them peaking into canon Worm. The problem is, there's so few ways to make it *funny*, given just how dark canon actually gets.

Military guy: Wait, you won a land war in China?
    Pantheon: Yup. Wasn't even hard.
    MG: What did you use?
    P: The land.
    MG: The land?
    P: Well, yeah. Land war. Duh.
    MG: You used their land? All of it?
    P: No. They gave up way too quick for that.
    MG: That's nice. If you need me I'll be giving myself alcohol poisoning, now.

13. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

Have them look into the Undersiders between the timeskip... Sadly that's the only thing that could be *fun*.

Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  14. GiftofLove

I can really only imagine Zach going on about how metal Taylor is.

15. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 284- Trevor
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 284- Trevor

"So, why the meeting?" Taylor asked.

"It's not really a meeting," I corrected, looking at the slowly gathering group. Zach and Emma were first to make it, and had found one of the chairs to claim as their own, Emma sitting in Zach's lap. For all the separated dorm situation implied, there wasn't really a crackdown on PDA or anything. Not that there was a lot of it to crack down on, really.

Dinah and Lisa were, apparently, having a powwow before I called them. They didn't object to my request, so it couldn't have been too important. At this point Amelia and Taylor were never not with each other, so they showed up second to last. Missy and Theo were last. I sort of interrupted the last five minutes of their date before curfew kicked in. I was pretty sure waiting to the last possible minute was Missy's form of personal rebellion against being treated like a child.

While waiting for them, I set up a monitor system, and a hologram of Victoria popped up. "So, what's the sitch?" the girl asked. I had considered calling up some of the others, but I really didn't know any of them well enough to be comfortable doing this to them.

"I said this was for fun, not business," I reminded all of them. "But trust me, it's going to be hilarious."

"You just want to stay up late," Emma accused. Rubbing her curfew exemption in my face again.

"Yup, you caught me," I laughed. "And I used sweet little Riley for my evil plots." I patted Riley on the head. Although her current growth spurt meant it wouldn't be long before we were the same height. Then again, my genes destined that I would never be that tall. Lisa gave me that Cheshire look that made it clear she saw through my scheme, or at least Riley's involvement in it. She opted not to speak up about it, however.

"I helped!" Riley agreed happily. And by 'helped', she means 'did all the actual work'. After her declaration, she went over and joined Missy on Theo's lap.

"Presenting to the audience, our future photo albums," I announced like something from a circus. The first clip of the slideshow appeared on the holographic display. Over on Vicky's end, she'd have to accept a video screen showing the pictures. Using a hologram to look at another hologram gave shit resolution.

"Mom?" Taylor gasped. Amelia's face showed the same shock as they both stared at the tall, slender woman on the hologram. The image zoomed focus on the woman's lightly freckled face and dark brown eyes. She was delicately pretty, a little shorter than Taylor. That was our icebreaker.

"Not quite," I corrected. "Meet the theoretical offspring between you and Amelia. Complete genome sequence, the blended average of over ten thousand possible outcomes of your genes. With bias made for correcting known genetic disorders using our technology."

"I... I don't know what to..." Amelia stuttered.

"She looks like Audrey Hepburn," Theo observed.

"At least the royal heirs will be completely adorable," Vicky chimed in. "Good news once your planet gets around to having celebrity media. Riley, you're in charge of teaching her to be absurdly cute, I'm in charge of playing dressup."

"Deal!" Riley eagerly agreed.

"Don't we get a say in this?" Taylor objected.

"Nope," Vicky stated. "Aunts and grandparents get to spoil the kids and leave the parents to deal with the results. I'm pretty sure it's the law. And if it's not, then it will be as soon as I show this to Mom."

"Vicky, I've disowned people before, I just want you to keep that in mind," Amelia threatened.

"You can have a copy of the images, if you like," I told them. "But that's just the first. We're far from done tonight."

"How many more do you have?" Zach asked.

"A few," I smiled at him. "You're first, by the way. Be proud, you get a full four combinations. No one else has that many." I finished with a deadpan. "You stud."

"Damn straight," he smiled broadly. "Ow!" He put up his arms to block any further jabs from Emma. A series of brown haired individuals appeared on our screen, along with one in auburn. "Why do they all have the same hair color?" he asked.

"Because you have a type," I answered. "Tall and blond. Your hair color's dominant, theirs are all recessive. Except Emma's, kinda. Red hair follows a different set of rules that'll mix and match with other hair colors in weird ways."

"Let's start with this one." I pointed at the first grouping. "This is Zach and Crystal. Who couldn't make it to this showing." Because I didn't call her, I wasn't sure she would see the humor here.

Like all of Zach's combos, they were tall. Zach's own genes capped him out at six three, though his power's regeneration would bump him to a height of around six five by the time he was done growing. And of his pairings, most of them were pretty tall as well. The Crystal options were actually second shortest, at six foot, and five eight for the boy and girl, respectively.

"I want a copy of those," Vicky requested. "Let my cousin see what coulda been. Ooh! Please tell me you got Taylor and Crystal!"

"Ask me about it later," I instructed. Taylor and Crystal? There has to be a story in there that I don't know about. "You're next." The screen flipped to the next set. Where the first set were attractive, this pair were beautiful. Zach and Vicky were both naturally tall and broad, plenty of room for muscle on their frames. The girl was six foot. Vicky's features seemed to mostly win the genetic battle, leaving the children with nearly perfect features. It wasn't a surprise, Riley made Vicky's genome from the ground up to be flawless. The next six generations of her offspring would be statistical impossibilities of good genetics.

"Hey, Emma?" Vicky asked sweetly.

"Too late, bitch, get your own," Emma growled, wrapping her arms around Zach. She was smiling, however, there was no actual malice in the words.

"Fiiine," Vicky whined exaggeratedly.

The next set was the Zach/Emma combo. Shorter than the others, by a couple inches. Like every Zach combo, brown eyes. Emma's curvy good looks paired well with Zach's size and height, creating a female that was tall and very curvy, and a boy somewhere between 'quarterback' and 'guy from a romance cover novel'. Both had dark auburn hair. Vicky gave out a whistle.

"You can't have them, either!" Emma declared.

"Spoilsport," Vicky muttered.

"Moving on," I pressed the button, and got the last pair. They were giants, frankly. The girl amazonian, six one with playboy model curves. The boy would be Zach's height, without the powers to boost him up.

"Holy shit, who's that with? Alexandria?" Zach asked. Emma, Missy and Vicky figured it out first, and signaled that to the others with a series of shrieks and laughter.

I smiled. "Oh, that's just you and Theo," I informed. "Really good genes, I'd say."

"Oh god, this needs to happen," Vicky giggled mercilessly.

"Sorry, Zach," Emma managed to spill between her laughs. "It really does. Theo, I volunteer my boyfriend to have your man-babies whenever you want."

Missy's right, Theo's definitely cute when he blushes.

I waited a couple minutes for the laughter to die down. Even Taylor and Amelia had relaxed enough to join in, despite the one truly serious combo shown thus far being theirs. "We're not done yet," I told the group. The next slide picked up. A darker toned man and woman, with rich, wavy black hair and naturally bronze skin. "Say hello to the Vicky and Chevalier mix."

"Know what? Emma, Theo, you two can fight over Zach all you like. I've changed my mind," Vicky said. She tilted her head off to the side. "Mom, remember what we talked about yesterday? I now have photographic evidence!" Wait, she actually talked about that? To her mom? I chose not to point out to her that the way her genes were optimized, she'd actually have to dip her children in acid to make them unattractive. "Oh! Is it time to ask about Taylor/Crystal?"

"Well, I had one more planned first, but sure, we can do that first," I agreed with a smile. Taylor was blushing and hiding in Amelia's shoulder, but she was laughing along with the rest of us. The brunette children that popped up were tall and slender, though not like thin like Taylor. Rounder faces and generally softer features. Where the Taylor/Amelia mix was tall and almost ethereal, this pair was more normal looking. Definitely very cute, but not noteworthy.

"Oh no!" Lisa exclaimed, laughing hard. "You really did it! That's. That's not Crystal and Taylor. It's Sarah and Danny!"

"That's why you didn't ask Crystal to sit in, isn't it?" Victoria asked. Oh, fuck, I've lost some of the crowd. I was expecting it to bother Taylor, who just looked a little weirded out. I didn't think it would upset Vicky, but she seemed legitimately angry about it.

"Pretty much," I smiled, pretending I didn't notice. Through the limited senses of the interactive holograms, I hoped Vicky couldn't read my emotions too much. "Moving on, let's see who gets this one first. Lisa's automatically disqualified."

I hit the screen to show a pale woman with deep green eyes, cute freckles, and jet black hair. The was also the shortest of the ones seen thus far, only making it to five five. Everyone looked for a second, and then Lisa started clapping slowly. She'd stopped laughing, but didn't lose the smile. I looked around for any takers.

"I give up," Missy admitted first. "What combo's that?"

"Oh, that one's mine," Lisa answered. "Alexandria's the other half."

"I thought Alexandria was taller," Taylor replied.

"Her powers at work," I informed. "Turns out, Alexandria's natural body type is really petite."

From there, we moves to truly silly examples. The shockingly large number of blondes on the team made interesting mixtures something of a rarity. And I tried not to pair anyone up in a way that might make anyone jealous or honestly uncomfortable, which limited the number of splices I could do with Emma to Zach and Vicky. The Emma/Vicky combo was, predictably, a strawberry blond bombshell. Everyone had a good laugh at the Lisa/etc combinations. Especially the ones we affectionately dubbed 'repeat' and 'smugbug'. The 'everyone on the team combined' option was... unremarkable looking. Downright boring, even.

We even got the Theo/Missy/Riley combos in. I had no doubt that Lisa figured out the ploy, but didn't say or do anything with that information. Either way, Riley's little hobby was out there, but introduced in a mostly non-awkward way. As long as Riley followed my advice to say nothing about it later. Let them approach her if they wanted to and were comfortable with it. And in the meantime, it was a good laugh that we all needed.

===============

A/N- If you pay attention, this chapter DOES manage to work some plot relevant details. And stealth confirmation of stealth hints strewn waaaay back in the story.

But mostly it was just for funsies.

16. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

My headcanon agrees with yours.
    If not in specifics, at least in the part where RCB no longer looks like a teenager, due to her powers.

Also, typo:

17. Cyclone

Cyclone Disciple of Zor

Erm, so where'd they get the Y chromosome for the Lisandria mix?

Buggy123 likes this.
  18. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Ah, readers. They'll almost never catch the subtle hints you put into the water. But when it comes to the plot holes? They're like ravenous sharks.

Ryuketsu, eNBious, Buggy123 and 22 others like this.
  19. Swingline#57

Swingline#57 Know what you're doing yet?

Re: the canon way the GG/Crawler fight went, and the aftermath-
    Amelia: *is rather disturbed, gets comforted by an also disturbed Taylor*
    Victoria: *appears somewhat ill* Well, that sucked.

Taylor would be both happy and sad that Sierra, Charlotte, and the orphans survived.

Re: Gold Morning-
    Besides everyone being stricken speechless by the sheer amount of death and destruction Zion unleashed, I imagine Amelia and Taylor would be completely horrified by the "birth" of canon!Khepri; Lisa would be intensely frowning and working things out.

Ryuketsu, Buggy123, Noelemahc and 6 others like this.
  20. powerofvoid

powerofvoid Versed in the lewd.

[​IMG]

21. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

So... I think they got Lisa/Alexandria's Y chromosome from Amelia doing what she did to Eric.

PS: Oh god I can't wait to see this Canon Worm Omake now :)

Please have snapshots of every epic canon moment included.
    I at least want to see how they react to Khepri vs Zion.
    TBH, just peaking at Khepri vs Zion, the conclusion, and then have Khepri make eye contact with them before their portal-viewer shuts down? Would be amazing!

22. Cyclone

Cyclone Disciple of Zor

What? I thought I'd missed something -- in fact, I'm still pretty sure I am, given the emphasis you made to point out that very problem with the Missy/Riley mix earlier -- so I took the obvious course of action: ask.

Sheaman3773 likes this.
  23. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

No, I just fucked up. Don't get me wrong- I'm glad you pointed it out so I could fix it- but this was my fuckup.

24. dasstan

dasstan :)

Really, Trevor? You're worried about something silly like that when you have Amelia and Riley on the team?

The remote viewing tech is pretty cool. Calling from Avalon's Brockton Bay to Earth-Bet's Pittsburg, right?

25. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Trevor continues to be a great friend.

Diller, Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  26. GiftofLove

I am sad there was no Emma/Taylor. Probably a good idea, but still woulda been amusing.

Or a fake Rey/Simurgh.

Sheaman3773 and TanaNari like this.
  27. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Anyone can. Completely disregarding the rest of the conversation (because, seriously, I don't give a damn whether people want to use words correct for common use or linguistic use), it's completely possible for anyone to rewrite English, or any other language, simply by being influential or popular enough that whatever terms they use become the norm. The denizens of the internet used 'Google it' often enough that it's now considered a word used for searching, in addition to the number if was derived from or a company name.

Hitler, along with everyone else who shared his ideology, or followed it on a power trip or whatever, is a terrible role model, but he was very influential. Even for those who completely disagreed with him.

Regardless of whether or not you can write, at least you can put something together that you're happy enough with to show it off.

I found this hilarious because I completely failed to think of it that way myself...

I'm not sure whether or not this is a good ting or a bad thing. I'm thinking that Trevor is at least partially exaggerating but... if he's not, then there could be something wrong thanks to Taylia.

And Missy continues to fail to see how adorable she acts, despite not wanting to be treated as adorable.

Trevor: "ALL OF THEM!"

28. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

You appear to have left some stuff in. ...

Divabot likes this.
  29. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Now Lisa has to reproduce, so that they can use this nickname. It's too cute to do otherwise.

30. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

Audrey Hepburn
    Let's all take a moment of slow clapping.
    Ravenous revenge-seeking sharks, who follow you to the Bahamas because of a voodoo curse.
    Yeah, but the long-distance hologram call charges are insane. It's even worse when you factor in roaming.