1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Like Ziz wouldn't be able to pre-cog her way around a minor obstacle like that.

2. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Blasto: "But Rapture, baby, this is just our powers working together!"

Rapture: "You're telling the truth."

Blasto: "Of course I am! She's the fusion of our DNA and the perfect embodiment of both of our powers."

Rapture: "... you're serious."

Blasto: "Who else is a perfect fit for both unnatural life and psychic mindfucker? Uh, baby?"

Rapture: "Lisa, I'm going to need some of your headache meds."

~ Our Baby is Such a Little Angel ~
    Amelia: "No, Mr. President, the Simurgh remains dead. This ... uh, parahuman child. Yes. This parahuman child is just an uncanny resemblance. Uh, bears an uncanny res-- Yes. Yes, I understand. Thank you, Mr. President."

*click*

Blasto: "What's he say?"

Amelia: "You're never allowed to bring her to Bet to visit her gramma, but at least you didn't start a war."

3. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Ziz: "Yeah, even I'm not sticking my nose in that!"

Relationship problems should be kept between those who are having them to reduce bloodshed/collateral damage.

Faraway-R, Pyro Hawk, Diller and 3 others like this.
  4. DeAnno

DeAnno Power over Versatility

Ziz is the master of shipping, your petty concerns do not phase her in the least.

5. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 285- Lily
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 285- Lily

"You mean unmask myself?" I confirmed, watching Lisa through the screen. Or, Minerva I guess, we were both in costume and using whatever dimensional tinker bullshit was packed inside to talk. "On national television, no less."

"International. Interplanetary, even. You were going to have to, anyway, with the whole royal family plan," Lisa pointed out. "Sham marriage notwithstanding, you'd have to prove your identity and show your face, confirm your nationality, all kinds of other stuff. Giving up your secret life was part of the package even from the beginning."

I frowned. She wasn't wrong, but I never thought about that. "What's the angle this time?" I asked. Didn't really want to let Lisa know she caught me not thinking all of that through. Easier just to ask her about her plan and see what she had to say.

"Pretty much the same thing as before," Lisa responded. "Only we don't need the marriage. You're an international hero. Except in China. Two dead Endbringers, and the whole dark and mysterious look that Pantheon's been missing after Taylor dropped the reformed villain angle for the 'behold, I was really a hero all along, also tragic backstory' combination. Which was great, don't get me wrong, but it leaves the slot open."

I sighed. "You remind me of someone. I can't remember who. Oh, right, I remember. How about every last retard in the Protectorate's PR department? Yeah, let's start with them and move our way into politicians."

"I probably deserve that," Lisa replied. "But remember, this one was your idea. You wanted to help Japan, on the macro scale. You wanted to set yourself up as a hero of the people the same way Taylor and Amelia have done. Social justice and equality for everyone. Whole nine yards plus some bonus inches. Giving up your secret identity is a requirement to all of that."

"Being able to cause change by working with the system instead of gutting it like a fish was also suppose to be part of the goal," I countered. "This looks like it's going to be the opposite of that."

"Sorry, can't do miracles. We only pretend to be gods," she snarked. "Seriously, though. You threw a gay pride ribbon on your costume and walked through cities in countries so intolerant that it would make Empire Eighty Eight uncomfortable. Don't tell me you're not ready to smash a few heads to get what you want."

"It's not like that," I insisted. "I don't want to go in looking for a fight. It's just that I'm ready to end it if someone else starts it, but..." Fuck, how do I explain it to her? "Know what? Use your power to figure it out."

"Already have," Lisa responded. "My point is, we both know you want this. Maybe you don't want to cause the waves you'll need to cause to get it, but that doesn't change anything. The 'system' you want to work inside of doesn't want your help. Your choices are either to leave it alone, or force the issue. It's on you to make that choice. I'm just offering to do for you what I've done for Taylor and Amelia."

"Which is?" I asked.

"Keep the powder keg from exploding in your face while you do the social crusading," she responded.

"You okay?" Eric asked.

"Not really," I admitted. "Conversation with Lisa. Nothing you need to worry about. Won't impact the portal building any. I was just going to ask you a favor."

"Impromptu visit to the girlfriend?" he asked. He didn't wait for my confirmation before getting up. "Okay, let me grab my armor." Half a second later, he was holding it, and it started folding over his body. Unlike my gear, which needed special modifications to properly harness my power, his was able to shapeshift and mold around him. Honestly, I was glad mine couldn't do that, it looked creepy as hell.

We shunted over. Avalon was still a mostly uninhabited world, so we were treated to the same unending expanse of blue green as always. Although Avalon's version of Serbia's hills made for slightly more interesting terrain than the flat endless stretch that most of the world possessed.

"Call me when you want the return trip," he instructed, and then the world changed. It would have been disorienting if I hadn't already gotten accustomed to it. I appeared on a twenty foot wide gold and blue checkerboard, with 'Los Angeles' printed on it in orange. The garish color combo was on purpose. Eric's power was tuned to location, and of course dimensional barriers. With this setup, all he'd have to do is envision the pad and he could teleport anywhere one was built, without needing to 'imprint' on it, or however that worked.

Our analog to LA was extremely active. Already they had graduated from Yggdrasil homes to real construction. Although our Sacremento was Avalon's biggest city, and that wouldn't change until the gold was mined out of the mountains. Plus uranium, plus whatever else they found. All I knew was Dragon considered the area profitable enough to be burning hundreds of millions of dollars out here. And where money went, people followed.

I took off from the teleportation pad. It was on an elevated platform to prevent anyone from getting up here without a lot of effort. One of the small chunks of land that Avalon claimed for itself. A few people pointed and waved at me as I hovered further up, coming into their view. I waved back, of course. Being an interplanetary hero had its fun moments, certainly. I still didn't know if I was ready to commit myself to it completely, however. I activated my dimensional viewer to look into Bet, find the appropriate height, then shunt over. Idly, I wondered how those watching below would interpret that display.

I appeared just a few feet over the roof of Avalon's building in the actual city, touching down gently. The security system recognized my armor, and the door opened for me. Down below, someone would have been alerted. Whichever poor unfortunate got saddled with monitor duty. The building itself was a modified small office complex. At some point the team went from renting it to owning it. I wasn't sure how that happened, but Crystal was excited. She was really coming into her own as a leader.

Crystal was there to greet me when I got out of the elevator shaft. "Hey, Lily, this is a surprise."

I shrugged, and the armor peeled away from my mouth, at least. One of the few features this armor had to partially unsuit. "Yeah, I was just in a mood to see Sabah," I told her. I didn't want to be rude about it, of course, but that was why I was here.

"She's not here right now," Crystal told me. My armor's tech picked up on her nervousness. The six month probation where I wasn't even able to turn off the lie detector tech as Lisa's idea of a punishment and reminder of my fuckup wore off a while ago, but I had gotten so used to it that I never thought about deactivating it anymore. "I'll call her and have her come back."

"Little late for her to be on patrol," I pointed out. That was part of her deal, not doing the late stuff.

"She's working on one of her projects," Crystal corrected. She'd pulled out her phone and hit the speed dial.

Right, her fashion career, I reminded myself. "I thought her studio was in the building."

"You'll have to ask her about it," Crystal responded. "Hey, Sabah."

"Is something wrong?" Sabah asked. My armor caught her voice and amplified it for me. I'd gotten so accustomed to that, too, that I didn't even think about it anymore.

"No, nothing like that," Crystal assured her. "Lily's here."

"Oh, she didn't say she was coming over," Sabah responded. "I'll be there in ten. I'll let Bee know it's nothing important. Bye."

"Bye," Crystal responded, closing her phone. "She'll be here in ten minutes. Come on, I'll introduce you to the rest of the team. Sabah said something about you maybe joining this group when the portals were all established?"

"Yeah," I replied. Not important? No, she didn't mean it like that. But who's 'Bee'? "It's going to be a little while. Labyrinth's in a bad place right now. Bad enough that Faultline's keeping her on Avalon. We have to wait until she's more lucid before we can build more portals safely." I am sorta on call right now, the moment Elle recovered, we'd need to finish the Serbia portal and move on right away. We were already behind schedule.

"Ames told me that Trevor and Dragon are working on a system to build portals without needing your power interaction," Crystal offered. "There's a bit of a catch since it can only work on worlds that already have portals. But it means you won't have to go back and build multiple portals in all the countries that want them."

"Yeah, Lisa mentioned that," I nodded, then I glanced at my armor's internal clock. "We had a talk about me going public with my identity. Apparently I'm a public relations tool to be used. Draw all those east asian colonists."

"Lisa's kind of a massive bitch," Crystal responded. "But she's not often wrong, and she wouldn't lie about stuff like that. I'm used to a public identity, so it's a little different for me. If you want to talk about it, I'm here to listen."

"Uh, sure, that'd be nice," I agreed. Still over nine minutes left.

============

A/N- Sorry for the delay. Been in a bit of a funk. One of those 'unhappy and don't know why' things. I think it was related to my sleep pattern being fucked to all hell. Twelve hour crash and now I'm pretty sure I'm back in fighting form.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  6. Inverness

Inverness The Foxiest Wife

Meh, I don't like the idea that they need human bodies to become characters beyond the natural disasters that they are now. That's rather biased, don't you think?

Ziz in canon became more of a character and was present for the end of the story. She communicated with action in her own way rather than some cliche human transformation. It worked well enough.

Ryuketsu, eNBious, Buggy123 and 10 others like this.
  7. Daunmi

... Did she actually do this, or was Lisa speaking metaphorically?

"was sorta"

Also

"sort of"

Divabot likes this.
  8. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Yes.

That one was intentional. Character internal mental dialect. Doesn't need to follow grammar rules quite like everything else does.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  9. Daunmi

Looked like part of the narrative to me. Eh, either way.

Edit: God damn it. Now you've gone and stuck it in italics and I'm thinking it looks wrong that way because it's phrased as narrative but indicated as thought process. I'm not going to be able to ignore this when I read it again.

Unless I go and grab something to eat and forget about- Oh breakfast!

Ok...

We have to wait until she's more lucid before we can build more portals safely." And isn't that the kicker, I'm stuck on call, and the moment Elle recovers I'll have to cancel my break so we can finish the Serbia portal and move on right away just to catch up with the schedule.

Not perfect, but just a suggestion anyway. Gets rid of the use of past tense whatever the term is in internal monologue.

Edit (the final one): I think what I should do is, next time I want to reply to a post I'll just mash my face against the keyboard to put the letters in, then edit the post a half dozen times until they're in the right order.

tordg, Divabot, Snake/Eater and 2 others like this.
  10. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

I'll pay that one.

The 'massive fuckup' was when she accidentally killed (or nearly killed) ... Missy, wasn't it?

11. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Well well, I wonder who this 'Tams is. Lily's been so busy with all this other stuff and making big decisions, Sabah might be looking for someone a little more demure.

The drama was dying down anyways. Relationship troubles ho!

12. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

I can't tell if Lisa is actually a huge bitch still and I just haven't noticed, or if everyone else is, in fact, the huge bitches. Seriously, maybe Lisa should go on a vacation and watch them try to put out their own fires for a few months.

This suggestion was because Ziz was reduced to chunks, and because it's hard to date a 30 foot woman. Dates are a bitch when your girlfriend has to pluck the roof off of the Olive Garden to get to her seat.

A seat which she can't even use because of her disproportionate body.

13. Daunmi

She can't. That's the problem. She's well aware that she's performing a thankless task, and that no matter how she approaches it there's going to be some bad feelings involved, but she's also aware that if she doesn't do it, everything goes to hell in a handbasket (and that's not even starting on the whole Scion deal).

So she does it as brutally efficiently as possible so that the problems get solved as early as she can solve them, disregarding what people think of her.

It's actually kind of making me wonder if the final fight against Scion will have Amelia tweak Lisa instead of Taylor, giving her unmatched understanding of everything going on around her so she can perfectly coordinate things. Doubt it'd happen since it might not really help enough.

14. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Add in a mecha covered in Endbringer armour, Lisa would be the Parahuman equivalent to a Newtype.

Thunder Man Soul likes this.
  15. Daunmi

I don't know what that is, but it still wouldn't help her against Scion when he decides to move things up a notch.

TanaNari likes this.
  16. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

really coming into

No other corrections that I can see.

I wonder if her always-on lie detector will exacerbate her foreshadowed relationship problem.

TanaNari likes this.
  17. Inverness

Inverness The Foxiest Wife

Endbringers regenerate, even from chunks, so long as the core is intact.

As for the dating thing. I'm not talking about that since it's easy to run a joke like that into the ground.

My comment about the Endbringers not needing human bodies was in a more serious context.

TanaNari likes this.
  18. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I promise. There will be no dating of Endbringers in this fic.

Probably.

Random crack omakes involving Blasto and his peculiar blow up dolls notwithstanding.

19. GiftofLove

I know they do. I was not suggesting Rey hook up with a jagged hunk of the Simurgh's face. The human size was entirely setup for the vaguely amusing idea of Rey walking around with the Simurgh on his arm.

Alexandercctv and TanaNari like this.
  20. Snake/Eater

I Still think Tohu now has a yandere( is a person(usually:D)romantically obsessed with someone to the point of using violent means to get them in their arms. Often seen with a sharp weapon(or Bohu) and a psychotic grin(or multiple grins:D)crush on Zach now and i think even a monster with three heads has a limit about sharing someone they love with the competition.

Alexandercctv and TanaNari like this.
  21. Finbar

Finbar I trust you know where the happy button is?

Lilly and Sabbah were one of the rare good things to happen in worm.

Please don't let Sabbah be a stupid bitch and be cheating on Lilly or splitting up with her.

TanaNari likes this.
  22. Daunmi

Edited for accuracy.

23. GiftofLove

I thought Tams was Rosary.

TanaNari likes this.
  24. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Yet again, I feel that Lisa needs and deserves a hug... from someone who genuinely cares about her.

Maybe she gets something at least equivalent from Alexandria?

TanaNari likes this.
  25. GiftofLove

In before Alexandria snipes Lisa for Cauldron.

There's more than one way to skin a god. She doesn't have to be part of Pantheon.

Lisa & Alexandria, one of the factions at the end of the world.

Alexandercctv, TanaNari and dasstan like this.
  26. Daunmi

This makes me think that Lisa has to regularly get healing for broken ribs when Alexandria hugs her...

"It's alright Lisa, at least your organization actually listens to your plans. My thinker abilities are wasted in this group."

27. dasstan

dasstan :)

I fully support this message. Poor Lisa deserves to not be shat upon for once. Unless she's into that sort of thing, I guess. :confused:

TanaNari likes this.
  28. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

*Repeated head desks*

Fixing... then let us never speak of this again.

Or I keel you!

29. Snake/Eater

Lisa is like the Tyrion lannister of Pantheon,she works to keep it stable but at the same time is given nothing but more responsibility and zero respect.then again why should she give a rats ass what someone like Lily or Sabah thinks,Sabah has never bleed for the cause to protect humanity or pull her weight in the group and lily...she's just a mindless weapon for any situation,who enables her girlfriend's neuroses(sounds familiar:D) and worst of all never bothered to try and see the members as brother and sisters in arms instead of coworkers.this is me speculating what i think Lisa feels about lily and sabah.

Prince Charon and ECCM like this.
  30. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Newtype is a reference to the Gundam series. Which one was being referenced, I couldn't tell you; maybe 1/2 of them have Newtypes as a thing. Basically the next step in human evolution, though the details can change between the series.

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.