1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Already ahead of you there, I posted an idea in line with that in the NSFW Ideas thread. I would be happy if someone would grab it an expand it, SFW or NSFW. I love inspiring content, makes me all tingly.

Obliviated fan and Divabot like this.
  2. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

That doesn't even need to be NSFW, it sounds so cracky.

3. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

I know, the only reason I put it in the NSFW thread is because of how easy it could go there even if not intended to.

I just want it to be used, it doesn't need to have sexy-times to be highly entertaining.

4. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

It's not hard. I just change gears.

5. Daunmi

That's not even...
    *looks at avatar*
    ... Yeah, ok then.

6. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

Please don't catch how you might not have stayed if I did convince you to think twice about Sabah

It is really nice to see Lisa and Taylor hanging out with each other. When I was first reading Worm (has it really been just over a year?), those two were the characters I liked the most, followed by Rachel.

7. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

The last scene of Lisa and Taylor going out to eat after watching Lisa give Lilly the truth of what it's like being in her shoes made me think of the song "somewhere only we know" by keane if Amelia was a tv show, i would have the actresses sing it while the scene ends.it would be a duet cover with Taylor being all happy while Lisa is singing in a bittersweet refrain at the same time.

TanaNari likes this.
  8. dasstan

dasstan :)

So it looks like we're back on for Sun Empress Lily, then?

Also, what the hell is up with people other than the Thinkers having plans? It's almost like they have agency of their own... it's absurd.

9. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Lily is going to play the game of thrones in order to colonize Nionia(Japan) :Dthe emperor is going to learn the hard way that he pissed off the wrong person.

10. dasstan

I don't think the emperor pissed anyone off? Lily was slated to marry into the family, Lily called it off. The emperor was jerked around by a teenager's mercurial nature.

TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  11. SamPardi

SamPardi Versed in the lewd.

More like a teenager suddenly undergoing a months long traumatic experience at the hands of an Endbringer. Or at least that'll be the spin.

12. dasstan

PTSD, mood swings. To-may-to, to-mah-to.

TanaNari likes this.
  13. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

I was kinda expecting Lisa to say something like:

"It couldn't have worked with you both remaining as you were, but people change over time. Amelia and Taylor, for example, are not the people who they started out being. I'm not a precog, and even if you and Sabah weren't actually compatible, it's still possible that in the future you would have been. You were both willing to try, and even if I knew that it couldn't work long-term if you stayed as you were, I also knew it was very likely you would not stay as you were. (But then, instead of growing up together, you got fucking Khonsu.)"

14. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

Khonsu just wants friends to spend the time with. Don't be mean.

15. evildice

Khonsu: "You piece right through my defenses. For a friend like you, I will (literally) make time."

16. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

I still gotta say, even with all the bad fallout from it (including the PTSD, the strange acting out, the screwups, the breakup) Lily's actions fighting Khonsu were fucking EPIC.

17. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

She became so metal that her music wasn't hardcore enough for her.

18. GladiusLucix

GladiusLucix Versed in the lewd.

Does that change make things clearer? The <> were being used instead of quotation marks.

TanaNari and Divabot like this.
  19. tordg

tordg (Unverified Idiot)

I'm honestly amazed that my laughter didn't wake the neighbours.
    "[J]ust felt so right" would be the more usual phrasing.
    It occurs to me that I've yet to read a fic starring someone with an actively shitty power. Has anyone written a Scapegoat fic or the like?
    Yay a Lisa chapter!
    Italics.

TanaNari likes this.
  20. Jackercracks

Jackercracks At Two With Nature

Oh right, I thought it was like stage prompts.

21. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Scapegoat's power is only shitty because it doesn't match his personality. Imagine if someone like Crawler had it - dude would probably get a Tinkertech suit set to sever all his tendons with the press of a button and use it to generate wounds to transfer. Sadly, Scapegoat isn't a sadist or a masochist, so his power doesn't fit him and he doesn't like it.

None of the powers are actively terrible, it's just that some of them are ill-fitted to their host.

Diller, Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  22. dasstan

Kind of wonder if Scapegoat's power couldn't be used as a sort of budget Chevalier re: merging people. They'd uh, just merge with him.

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  23. Daunmi

It's more like a budget King, passing injuries to other people, but unlike King he has to actually get hurt first, which means you can get the drop on him. Unlike King, he gets to pick his targets after the fact, so if you're someone like, say, a striker, you're in a much worse position, depending on how things pan out.

Although I suppose he's also a lot like Chevalier, since he has to go looking for dimensional copies to take/give from/to.

So maybe more a combination?

Snake/Eater and dasstan like this.
  24. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

Her voice

And applesquash sounds disgusting.

25. evildice

I was never really clear on Scapegoat's "dimensional copies" requirement thing.

Nobody on Earth Bet born after Scion appeared should have any copies elsewhere, since there was only one Scion avatar on only one of the Earths... yet Taylor's healing happened just fine.

TanaNari likes this.
  26. The Shadowmind

The Shadowmind Well worn.

Dimensional copies that are in theoretical futures maybe? From un-collapsed wave functions?

27. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I always assumed they were just alternate "people". Not necessarily alternate copies of the same person.

Either that, or they were just wrong about how his power worked. Not like it'd be the first or only time. After all- Bet was dumb enough to think you couldn't find a dimension more similar to Bet than Aleph in the timeline due to some "can't get closer" bullshit. When in reality they would have been nigh identical without Scion.

Also: 'Random Avalon Citizens' chapter in a few minutes.

Ryuketsu, Faraway-R, Divabot and 7 others like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 289- Janet
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 289- Janet

"Grocery delivery!" Crystal shouted cheerfully as she walked into our dorm. Oh wow, that was fast.

I scrambled out to help her, but I clearly needn't have bothered, she was dragging along a hovering cart loaded up with fruits and leaves. "Oh, wow, you really went all out this time," I responded, looking at the various plants.

"Yeah, I just grabbed a couple of everything," she shrugged. "We've been creating a lot of variety lately. I think Amy's finally starting to get bored with the food, so she's making more just to have something different. Here, try the turkey plant," she lifted up a large, tanned leaf.

I accepted it hesitantly. Turkey plant? It was thick, and little like cabbage in its shape and texture. Well, I've tried all the other crazy stuff, may as well add this to the list. I took a bite. Oh, wow, this really does taste like turkey. "The vegetarians are going to love this," I stated with absolute certainty. "It could use a bit of salt, but yeah, it tastes more like turkey than lunchmeat that's supposedly actually made of turkey."

"I know," Crystal agreed. "Apparently salt isn't easy to do, some metabolic process shit. I'm in school for accounting and business management, not biology."

"Pretty sure you're breaking some business rule, giving away all this free product," I joked with her.

"Are you kidding?" she smiled. "You're the only person I know who can cook this stuff. Everyone back at the base just eats it raw. They don't even own a stove. The only reason they even have a kitchen is because they needed somewhere to put the coffee machine and that thing that grows disposable cups, plates and silverware. And the only person who uses the coffee pot is Lisa. Everyone else just uses the plant that grows coffee."

"You can't be serious," I laughed. "Half the fun of food is making something amazing out of the base ingredients!"

"Truly, it is a travesty," Crystal agreed with a sage nod. "Now hook me up with that pie Tyrone promised."

"You just use me for free baking," I sighed dramatically, but I was already going to get her a slice of the fruit pie that Tyrone baked. The man was an expert with that sort of thing, and after we discovered those apples that tasted like tart watermelons, the first thing thought was 'pie'. I handed her the slice we saved.

"No, I use Tyrone for free baking," she corrected, accepting the small plate and fork from me. "I use you for your friendship with Tyrone. Mmm, this is delicious."

"So how did your citizenship test go?" Tyrone asked. He was in the kitchen clicking away at the laptop. I could smell something in the oven, probably some of that experiment in banana bread. One of the fruits was something like a hybrid between banana and peach, and Tyrone was seeing what he could do with that.

"Not bad," I replied. "Didn't have any problems at all. Oh, and I signed up on your group imigration code. Did you get Mike and Jo to go for it, too?"

"They're still chewing it over," Tyrone replied. You know how it is, the whole 'we'll see how it turns out for you' shit."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, kinda expected it. Oh well, if they don't want to be part of this from the beginning, we can find people who do. I bet Aly would go for it."

"Aly's a poli-sci major who can't even make ramen noodles," Tyrone smirked.

"She'd still do it!" I insisted.

"Yeah, if she thought it'd help her get into your pants," he countered.

He was right, though. "Yeah, not a good idea," I sighed, slumping onto the couch. "So what are you looking at?"

"Just possible places to move to," he responded. "We want to stay close to the portal, but everyone wants to stay close to the portal. That's why Avalon set a thirty mile stretch of non-colonized land around it, so no one could monopolize the whole area."

"So what do we have to pick from?" I asked. May as well find out what we're looking for.

"Crapton of French Canadian separatists to the north," he answered. "I think we can rule them out as an option. We're not French, we're not Canadian, and while they legally have to accept our citizenship if we move there, there's no law forcing them to come to our restaurant."

"If we get really desperate, maybe I can get Crystal to talk Amy into making a species of snails that produce maple syrup?" I joked. He laughed as well. "So, got any that aren't completely horrible?"

"Well, a pretty big 'personal freedoms' group that's 'founded on libertarian principles'," he answered. "They've clustered mostly in the Boston area. It's actually surprising how many people they're getting. I would have thought they'd freak out a bit about the whole 'all seeing god Empresses' thing going on. But it looks like they really like Avalon's hands-off Imperial government structure or something. Hell if I know what they're thinking. Politics is just choosing between a giant douche and a turd sandwich, far as I'm concerned."

"We might be able to work with that," I agreed. I popped open my laptop to find out what a libertarian was. Specifically the ones on Avalon. Blah blah, USA corrupt, blah blah abuse of power, blah blah colonies will be abused and exploited. The list went on, but they had a couple of the videotaped interviews with Khepri and Gaea and the Avalon constitution on their website. Plus promises of a plan to claim all eastern North America. Kinda nutty, but you have to be crazy to leave your home world for another like this, so who was I to judge? Meanwhile, Tyrone kept talking.

"There's a puritanical religious freedom group that's also got a good chunk nearby, but I think I'd rather not," he responded. "A little too 'traditional', if you know what I mean."

In other words, the openly gay black man wants to avoid living in the racist homophobic country. I wasn't going to argue. "We'd probably be better off with the French," I agreed. "I don't want to be burned at the stake for the sorcery of cooking something without the use of a deep frier."

"And a lot of tiny clusters nearby that are too small to qualify as their own territories," he added. "They'll either form up into something together, or be absorbed by their neighbors in a year or two. No one really seems to want to move inland right now. If we're willing to go out a couple hundred more miles, Dragon has some mining cities that have the population, the money, and would probably be happy to see some home cooked food."

"Pass," I answered. "The mines won't last very long. Sure, it'd be good for a while, but once that dries up everyone will move out."

"So, New Boston looks like the winner," he responded.

"New Boston?" I asked incredulously.

"Hey, they're a society of political activists, you expected them to be creative?"

"Touché."

"What's wrong?" I asked Tyrone. He looked like he hadn't slept at all.

"We're asking for too much," he replied. "The New Boston city-state isn't willing to give us space for the restraunt in the city itself, and we sure as fuck can't buy the amount of land we need."

"Don't give up yet," I insisted. "We can go somewhere else, maybe? The mining towns if we have to. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing." Fuck.

"Maybe," he sighed. "There's one option to keep us nearby, if not the city itself. You're not going to like it."

"What?" I asked.

"We'd have to get married," he looked at me like he was apologizing for killing my pet goldfish or something. "They're offering incentives to get young couples and families to move in. Even more if you're willing to adopt children. We have the first half of that down. It would mean, essentially, we'd have enough space that if we were willing to, we could turn our house into the restaurant. While still being close enough to the population centers to get actual traffic. If we get Mike and Jo to take up neighboring slots, that'll be the space we need to make it work."

"Okay, we'll do it," I agreed. "The marriage part, not the adoption. And you'd better not fool around with any more of my boyfriends."

"It was just that one time!"

I looked at our books. Fuck, this was such a mistake. The idea itself was sound, of course. But we made one crucial mistake. We opened a business that provided food, in a place where everyone already had enough food for free.

Supply and demand, with almost no demand at all. We had a few regular customers, enough to keep us afloat only because our supplies were, essentially, free. It's remarkable how much less you spend when you don't have to pay for most of your supplies, or to feed yourselves. But the electricity and gas for cooking was costly.

Crystal had given me the 'seeds' that let us grow almost everything Gaea designed thus far. That was a huge help, since one of Avalon's policies was that a given individual got the seed code for exactly one type of plant. The rest would have to sort itself through trade, or buying extra seed types. Because of that, we could provide mixes that others couldn't and had enough food growing to provide for more than ourselves and an immediate family member or two. That was just barely enough to keep us afloat.

"Don't worry about it too much," Tyrone insisted. "This is the most difficult part. Restaurants are always high risk, especially early on. Once we start gaining a rep, and the city gets large enough that this area can't rely on the Yggdrasil alone to supply the population, then it'll get better. Right now, all we need to do is stay afloat, no more."

I stared at the clock. Two in the afternoon. Anywhere else, this would be the lull before the storm. Here, it was just the lull before more lull. Mike rushed in. "Guys! They're here!"

"They who?" I asked.

"They! Them! The Empress! A few others."

I shot up. Holy fuck. "Tyrone!" I shouted. "Get in here!"

"What?" He rushed in, looking at us.

"Remember that break we needed?" I smiled. "I think we got it."

================

A/N- Random Avalon Citizen chapter. Requested and delivered. That'll be tree fiddy.

Also: two South Park references in one chapter!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    dima, Snow908, Ryuketsu and 142 others like this.
  29. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

eeeehhhhh, not random enough :p

Anytime anyone suggests marriage for the status benefits I can't help but think of Frank and Charlie from Always Sunny.

Stop writing about delicious fake fruit-meat! Gah!

Janet and Tyrone seem like good people.

30. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

There's some traditions too important to break. Stumbling around half-dead, burning your hand on the coffee-pot and then burning your tongue because you forgot to add milk/creamer is one of them.

This made me so damn sad, felt like my heart fell out of my chest. I dunno why, but seeing them go through all the effort to try and start a life, just to fail because of such an obvious oversight...

Damn glad the Empresses came by.