1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

LOL!

2. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

I think my sister was 16 or 17 before my mother gave up on finding some meat my sister did like.

3. Fouredged

Fouredged Experienced.

I have a cousin that won't eat anything that isn't white. She doesn't care about the flavor or texture, just the physical color of the food. People have strange voluntary dietary restrictions.

4. dasstan

dasstan :)

That's... that's racist!

People of color are delicious. /cannibalism

5. nebelmann

nebelmann Making the rounds.

[​IMG]

Silencio.....

6. EragonVsHarry

EragonVsHarry Getting out there.

I have a friend who is vegetarian because her body is almost completely incapable of digesting meat and meat products in general. She would like to eat the things, but cant because it makes her sick. I'm a carnivore for the same reason, cept i love meat and cant eat hardly anything else.

Alexandercctv likes this.
  7. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

They can trade man-manipulation tips.

The cultural expectation switches from "protect the women from predatory men" to "protect the men from predatory women." Because really, there's just no chance there.

8. EragonVsHarry

EragonVsHarry Getting out there.

My personal favorite recipe for human is, once you've skinned and gutted them of the best organs, spit roast them. Its delicious, and made even more so if you can season the meat with the tears of their loved ones and/or the blood of your enemies.

9. dasstan

[​IMG][​IMG]

I find this post to be in bad taste.

10. Volkogluk

Volkogluk Getting out there.

That pun was horrible, and you should feel horrible. Have a like.
    Also, the line " he was going to make some robot very happy some day " just made me snort my Cola out, missing my keyboard only thanks to my superhuman reflexes. Curse you, TanaNari, and your evil plots to ruin my keyboard !

11. dasstan

I honestly think I have a terrible pun addition. Bad puns and dad jokes.

12. Myriad

Myriad Getting some practice in, huh?

Since most dad jokes are just more bad puns that is a terrible addition indeed.

13. dasstan

That was unintentional. It happens even when I don't want it to!

I'mma leave it as is.

14. theBSDude

theBSDude Space Ace

"That," with an unstressed vowel (sounds like "thet"), doesn't imply objectification in any of the standard American dialects.

15. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 291- Taylor
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 291- Taylor

"This is really good," I said before taking another bite of the stir-fry I'd ordered. I recognized some of the artificial vegetables as ones that I had come up with while idly chatting with Amelia. I couldn't help but smile at that. "I'm so glad you talked me into coming here."

"Told you so," Lisa smiled. "And please stop thinking about your pillow talk with your girlfriend. I want to enjoy my meal."

"So how did you even find out about this place?" I asked, meeting her eyes as I dipped into the link for a brief mental equivalent to a hug with Amelia. We were never truly apart from each other. Meanwhile, I considered the benefits of cooked food. Maybe we should create some plants specifically with the intent for them to be cooked before eaten. We should also look into foods that need to be processed, at the moment anything made from grain had to be imported from Aleph.

"Well, Crystal asked for about a hundred and fifty different production seeds," Lisa answered.

"Huh, woulda thought she'd ask Amelia for something like that," I answered. The production seeds were one of the few things we kept pretty regulated. Everyone who came to Avalon was given one seed. When planted it would produce enough fruit to feed a single person. Of course 'one person' in this case was by the standard of an American oversized diet, so in reality they could probably support two people each. Plus the vaguely lettuce like flavor and texture of eating Yggdrasil directly. But it was one person, one seed, and each made one flavor of fruit.

This was an artificial method to generate a trade economy, but it was a useful one. No one liked to eat the same thing all the time. Five families could easily have twenty different types of seed between them, and would barter with each other however they prefered to get a mix of options. That, plus the low scale personal livestock farming that had already started, would be the basis on which future economies would be born.

"I probably talk to Crystal more than Amelia does," Lisa responded. "Mostly about her handling of the west coast team."

"How is that going, by the way?" I asked. I knew there weren't any problems, then I would have been told. I was kept pretty much constantly updated on Victoria's antics in Philly. Although Carol was the one making the real waves. But that didn't mean there wasn't anything interesting happening.

"Really well, for the most part," she responded. "Anima and Clotho are really putting a rogue friendly face on our organization out there. They recently talked a new healer into joining the team. He's pretty lackluster, though."

Healers were a rare luxury, I couldn't imagine how one would be considered lackluster.

"An aura that grants moderate regeneration to everyone within a hundred feet or so," she answered my unspoken question. "It's like years of natural healing done in minutes, without scarring. Not enough to regrow organs or repair nerve damage, but it can beat diseases that are otherwise incurable like HIV or cancer. Even seems to halt aging and stabilize dying individuals in the radius, if sometimes only temporarily."

"Still plenty of uses for that," I argued.

"In the private sector, absolutely. There it's great stuff," she partially agreed. "But for our needs, it's lackluster. Some of our Tinkers are looking forward to seeing if they can imitate, range boost, or emulate it with machines one way or another."

I flagged the waitress while wondering what that power was meant to do to achieve the conflict that the Passengers were trying to achieve. It was able to heal both allies and enemies at the same time, so maybe that was the point? Access to healers tended to make parahumans less cautious. If nothing short of death was a consequence, and in Pantheon's case even that was only inconvenient, then of course there'd be more willingness to get into combat.

"Can I help you, ma'am?" the girl asked after approaching. Once again I was struck by the age dissonance. This young woman was older than me by a few years, probably college age, and I couldn't help but think of her as, somehow, 'younger' than me.

"I'd like a refill," I told her. 'Joanne', according to the name tag. "And the check."

"Oh, no, we can't charge you," she responded. Oh god damn it, it's going to be like that.

"I'd really rather you did," I responded. "After all, we'll probably come back here a lot." Understatement, Amelia would love some of this. Our diets consisted almost entirely of 'that stuff growing on our walls' and 'takeout'. And after the loss of Brockton Bay, we didn't even have the takeout. There was a time I when I enjoyed cooking. "Actually, while we're on the subject, I'd love to talk to your chef. Maybe get some recipes."

"Uh... sure, I'll go back and ask," she agreed, rushing off and completely forgetting my refill.

"Welcome to the splendors of international fame," Lisa smirked at me. "And ruling a planet."

"Think they'll get used to us if we show up often enough?" I asked. "I mean, there were a few good places in Brockton Bay that didn't flip out when capes showed up. Hopefully it'll be like that."

"True, they were okay with capes," Lisa replied. "But if the President showed up? I think it'd be a different story."

I slouched a little, before forcing myself back into proper posture. Too many people around here watching, had to look good for the public. "Is it too late to go back to mostly anonymous supervillain?"

"Yep," she smiled. "Not even faking your own death will get you out of it, now."

I was tracking the waitress, as she came out with a handsome young man. He looked a little like Brian, and there was a time that might have bothered me. But that part of my life was over, whatever might have come of the two of us if things had been different, I don't think I'd have traded it for what I had right now.

"Good day, Empress, I'm Tyrone, co owner of this establishment. How can I help you?" And just like that, my mind shuffled him into 'kid' status as well. Eager to please, a little scared even. I found myself feeling bad, actually.

"I was just telling your waitress how much I loved the food," I informed him, and watched the relief show on his face.

"Thank you," Tyrone responded, nervous that I might switch over to a complaint at any moment. These people were just so blatant and obvious in their reactions that I almost felt bad for reading them. Is this how Lisa views people? I glanced over at my best friend. She nodded, smiling a little.

"I'd like to ask you about a few of the recipes," I told him. "I admit, we never really thought of what we could do with these foods. I was wondering where you even got the idea for all of this."

"Sure," he agreed, relaxing a little warming. Clearly he felt confident about his cooking, at least. "I've been a big fan of yours for a while. I... was in your, umm, territory when the Slaughterhouse Nine came."

Oh, my turn to feel awkward. I don't even recognize him. "I was just doing what I could to help."

"Well, you did help," he replied. "More than most people will ever realize. After you started Pantheon, Jan and I. Umm, she's my partner. We were in culinary arts together in college. We started getting ideas, and experimenting with different recipes. Crystal, umm, Eki, was kinda one of Jan's friends from highschool, so that helped a lot. And when you announced Avalon, we knew we had to sign up."

"I'm really glad you did," I smiled at the guy. He was cute in an overeager puppy sort of way. "This is delicious."

He blushed. It was hard to see on his dark skin, but he was blushing. "Do you really mean that?"

"Yes," Lisa interjected. "In fact, we were talking about it while we ate. That and the idea of cultural identity. How Avalon would develop into its own unique culture instead of being defined by the countries its citizens came from. I think what you're doing here is a step on that path. You may only be a bit of a niche market right now, but in fifty or a hundred years, I think places like this will be normal. A point of national pride, even. France has its wine, Texas has its barbeque, and we'll have the stuff you're creating here."

"You think so?" he asked. Lisa had an interesting way of offering praise, but it seemed to be working.

"Absolutely," she replied. "You probably should write down your recipes. I know I'd love to see a cookbook showing all the stuff you've come up with. Maybe even think up a few fruit you'd like to see that haven't been made yet?"

"Umm, actually, there is one," he suggested. "We could really use milk of some sort. It's a filler for a lot of baking, and there just isnt any alternatives for it around here. Not even something like coconut or soy milk."

"That's probably possible," I agreed. Why didn't we think of that ourselves? "I'll let Amelia know about it. Bring her by sometime for a meal and a meeting to discuss your suggestions. How's next Thursday sound?"

"We'll be here," he responded eagerly.

=================

A/N- Don't worry, I'll do something horrible eventually.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  16. The Shadowmind

The Shadowmind Well worn.

Is the aura healer Lizardtail?
    If so, is Accord using his minions to spy on Pantheon?

17. theBSDude

theBSDude Space Ace

Wait, I thought Accord was a satellite member, like Coil.

18. gatewaewanderer

gatewaewanderer Wandering Fool & Intermediate Lurker

Honestly, I'd be okay with a Worm fic where the Endbringers and Scion get trashed but civilization is mostly on Earth Bet and those it has contact with are still mostly intact, unlike after Golden Morning. That might be part of what makes Worm, well, Worm, but a fic with an intact Post-Scion-Goes-Nutzoid Earth Bet would be pretty interesting, I think.

eNBious and Obliviated fan like this.
  19. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

I'm going to post Postmodern Jukebox's cover of Coolio's classic "Gangsta's Paradise" - because most of Avalon's new citizens have lived most their lives in the gangster's paradise,now they're living in the Empresses's paradise.:D

Prince Charon, TanaNari and tertius like this.
  20. dasstan

Do you have the wrong thread?
    He is.

TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  21. GladiusLucix

GladiusLucix Versed in the lewd.

Why you keep biotinkers out of the kitchen.
    ---

Amelia: "So, Minerva tells me you need milk?"

Tyrone: "Yes, Your Majesty."

Amelia: "No need to be so formal. Here."

A cow's udder grows from the wall, just above waist high.

Amelia: "There you go."

Clarice: "Ooh! What about chocolate milk?"

Amelia: "That's not a bad idea."

One of the teats on the udder turns brown.

Clarice: "And strawberry!"

Taylor: "Or skim milk?"

Another teat turns dark pink, while a second udder grows from the wall, similarly colored. The wall above the first changes color to spell out "Whole," while the other udder is labeled "Skim."

Amelia: "Anything else?"

Emma: "I don't think it would be too difficult to add a milking machine that converts the milk directly to milkshake."

Tyrone: "Uhh..."

Ryuketsu, eNBious, Buggy123 and 37 others like this.
  22. NinjaDebugger

NinjaDebugger Getting out there.

This would be a great place for the majestic Milk Owl to make an appearance. Hoot hoot hoot MOOOOOOOOOO!

23. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

dissonance
    "Back in my day, we walked five miles to kill enormous rage monsters, in the snow, uphill both ways!"

24. moontheir4

moontheir4 Nothing to see here. Move along.

Like blowing up the restaurant next Thursday in a pointless assassination attempt that kills Janet and Tyrone?

25. dasstan

And thus we see the real reason why Lisa asked for a cookbook.

26. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Yup. Speaking of... whatever happened to DeviantD?

My schemes to make billions in the keyboard making industry have once again been foiled!

... Dammit... *goes back to the drawing board*

No, not really. Building up characters for a couple scenes just to murder them is a cheap gimmick and I want no part of it. You're looking for Game of Thrones.

Ryuketsu, Ryan Bazana, Diller and 7 others like this.
  27. The Shadowmind

Gantz also does that. It also has ways to bring back the dead, in a similar manner that this fic does. Your story is better written though.

daimahou and TanaNari like this.
  28. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

he caught a case of the blues and it's kinda killed his motivation to write.:(

tenchifew and Sheaman3773 like this.
  29. The Shadowmind

I think DeviantD is female?
    And TanaNari is a duck.

tenchifew, daimahou and TanaNari like this.
  30. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Nice slice-of-life scene.

Typo:
    Scarring, not scaring.

Volkogluk likes this.