1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tertius

tertius drunken shitposter extraordinaire

It actually is, sadly, and with a 200+ year history, so I'm going to assume it is intentional when narrating from the POV of a teenage girl trying to sound mature in her head.

2. dasstan

dasstan :)

Yeah, I'm aware that it's nonstandard English. That said, if she's aiming for acting adult like, learning what words aren't used isn't very hard to do. And considering she reads a lot of classic literature, if she's going to go for sophisticated, she'd probably sound more like a character out of Jane Austen.

Ampersandwich and Ack like this.
  3. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

TanaNari was asked for this a handful of chapters ago. Apparently Sophia's pretty much out of the picture, in terms of relevant scenes that actually have something to show.

Just like in canon. Good work Sophia! You being a complete screw up has (potentially) saved the world. Pat yourself on your back, because no one else is going to.

Kind of wondering if her lack of powers has anything to do with the amount of thought she's putting into her life/actions, since without the shard there, or at least as directly there, to generate conflict she's actually thinking about the best way to get advice to keep friendships working.

Diller, Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  4. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

However, it is also meaningless.

5. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Goddamn it, I had like 10 quotes ready to post and comment on for the previous chapter, but my internet sputtered out and they're all gone. I'm so sad.

Others have already commented, but still.
    :mad:
    This enrages the Peanuckle.

Regardless = without regard for
    Ir = a negative modifier; i.e. "irrespective = without respect for"

Thus

Irregardless = without without regard for.

It's a nonsensical double-negative.

6. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

based
    The sentence ends here.
    as well
    now. One

TanaNari likes this.
  7. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

... Y'know, I was planning to edit it. But the rage amuses me so now I won't.

Except to push her down the elevator shaft.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  8. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

If they let her out maybe she can findout who the Endmaker is by being herself..

TanaNari likes this.
  9. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

I figured the word was an intentional effort to make Dinah seem human by making her duck up in an obvious and blatantly pretentious way. Her other flaws have been shown in fairly subtle ways.

10. Daunmi

And other posts, I guess.

It's a word. I don't like that it was used, and it's not technically the right word to use, but we still give it the right meaning when we use it.

Eh, it was used by a child. I'd advise not using it as part of narration, but for speech it's fine.

Blatantly wrong in this case though.

It's 'kick' her down the elevator shaft. Not 'push' :D

daimahou, tertius and TanaNari like this.
  11. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Dammit, guys, stop ruining my irrational dickish behavior by giving me narratively brilliant reasoning!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  12. evildice

- Author arrogantly shoves his own flaws in the audience's face.
    - Audience cheers on the author for having the intellectual integrity to write blatantly flawed characters.

Welcome to art.

13. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Art. Trolling. Fuck if I can tell the difference.

Seriously, though, the 'irregardless' thing was least partially intentional.

I say that because I picked the word specifically for the pretentiousness of its use. The reaction to it, on the other hand, was entirely unexpected. I didn't think it would stand out any more than any of the rest of her language quirks. The goal was the outfield, instead I got the bleachers.

14. dasstan

My problem with it is that I can can understand the rest of her language quirks as her trying to sound like her idea of what a grown-up should sound like. 'Irregardless' just sticks out as one of those things you don't say when trying to sound smarter than you are.

15. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

What, why? Using words wrongly is a clear symptom of trying to appear smarter than you are.

16. dasstan

I expect better from Dinah.

17. Silvercrystal

Silvercrystal That’s no moon! It’s a Moderator! Moderator

your only partly right however,

'Irregardless' of you displeasure over the use of the word irregardless instead of regardless, your displeasure over the matter amuses me greatly, thus shall I continue to use it.

alternately

'With regard' for your displease over the use of the word irregardless instead of regardless, your displeasure over the matter amuses me greatly, thus shall I continue to use it.

or even more accurately

'Not without regards' for your displease over the use of the word irregardless instead of regardless, your displeasure over the matter amuses me greatly, thus shall I continue to use it.

Besides it is not like we don't have all kinds of rules in the english language that are broken all the time even in proper english... I before E except after C being a big one

daimahou and TanaNari like this.
  18. evildice

Bingo.

Easiest case is she heard someone else using it, and misinterpreted that person's confident ignorance as masterful proficiency. This sort of mistake is not uncommon among young people.

I'm sorry, but you've just disqualified yourself from having an opinion about words.

19. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 323- Missy
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 323- Missy

I was waiting at the pad when Theo returned. I may not have my powers, but Calysta didn't need me to have my powers in order for her to fly. What I wasn't expecting was that he would return alone.

"What happened to everyone else?" I asked.

"The Tinkers and Thinkers are staying behind, doing their usual planning," he started. Okay, that makes sense. It also removed pretty much the vast majority of our team in that one swipe. Almost all the people living here were our Thinkers and Tinkers. "There are also a lot of injured. Beelzebub was a messy fight."

"What happened?" I asked. Please don't let there be something that I could have done to make the difference.

"It was a summoner type Endbringer," he told me. "Can we go inside? I'm tired and I need a shower. Sorry."

"Oh, sure, no problem," I stuttured. It hurt a little that he wasn't more excited to see me, but he sounded exhausted. Not just physically. He sounded hollow, like the light echo he created when speaking while he had his power up around him. I was tired, too. "I could use a shower, too."

"Thanks for understanding," he responded.

We took off toward the living area building, letting Calysta and Macula do the work. What happened? I wanted to ask, but I couldn't. My fault I couldn't be there to help, so I'd stay silent, now. I could accept that, as penance for my mistake.

We took our showers, separately of course. My hand and wrist ached, now that it had time to stiffen up after my workout session. I probably broke my hand on that damn punching bag. I'd need to ask Riley to look at it later. Just one more way others had to pick up the slack and cover for my stupid mistakes.

I was done before Theo, and waiting by his door when he opened it. He'd changed to street clothes, and I hadn't worn anything except the street clothes today. There was no real impetus for me to protect my identity on Avalon, I had no life outside Pantheon anymore. Brockton Bay was gone, and Lisa had somehow convinced my mother that it was fine for me to live here full time, like Dinah and a few others were doing. I suspected bribery was involved, but never did get the courage up to ask. I'd rather let myself remain ignorant on the subject. I had enough things to angst about without finding out Mom sold me for spare cigarette money.

The only thing that would be worse would be finding out Lisa used something less obvious.

"Sorry for being rude earlier," he said the moment he opened the door.

"You weren't rude," I responded. He was adorable when he was trying to apologize. "It was a rough day."

Endbringers always are, that's a universal truth. Sure, Pantheon gave as good as we got in those battles, but for every victory we made against them, they extracted their price in return. The difference was, at least Pantheon did have victories against them. No one else could honestly claim they'd even gotten close.

"Thanks for understanding," he smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. He pulled me into a hug. He smelled pretty neutral, after the bath. Clearly using the generic shampoo material grown from the Yggdrasil. I allowed myself the luxury of buying quality bath soaps. Nothing against Amelia, but she did not understand the value of a good shampoo. Neither did Theo, but he was a guy so that was to be expected.

"I'd be a pretty bad girlfriend, or human being for that matter, if I couldn't accept that you might be tired after fighting a city killing abomination," I dismissed his praise.

"Doesn't mean I can't appreciate it," he responded, leaning back a little to look me in the eyes. "One of those things I love about you."

"So that's what you love?" I smiled, feeling warm inside. It wasn't just that he said it, it was that I believed him. "You mean it's not the part where I kissed your other girlfriend in front of you?"

"You've been spending too much time around Zach," he didn't laugh, but at least he smiled for real.

"Your fault," I countered, stepping around him and entering his room. Dorms or no, each of us had pretty nice places to stay here. Plenty of space, almost all of it downstairs.

What one saw from above looked like five or six buildings, each only about two stories tall. If you could look at it from a room diagram, it was a massive underground complex that all interconnected like prairie dog tunnels. I plopped down on one of the Yggdrasil couches and stretched out. "Now, tell me everything."

"Shouldn't I be the one on the couch?" he asked, standing in front of me.

"Sure," I agreed, sitting up.

He sat down next to me, and I grabbed his shoulders and pulled him down. "What?"

"You took my comfy sleeping spot," I pointed out. "Now I have to use you as a replacement." I climbed on top of him, and put my head on his chest. "Those are the rules."

"I'm pretty sure that rule is only meant for cats," he argued. He didn't put up too much resistance, instead stroking my hair with one of his hands. The other was caught under us. One of those unfortunate problems with having an arm on both sides, there weren't many ways to cuddle without at least one limb getting in the way.

"Too late, already napping," I quipped, closing my eyes. "So, do you want to talk about it? The Endbringer, I mean."

"No," he responded, I felt him shudder as he tried to take a breath. Oh. "But I should. It was horrible. I had to kill people. A lot of them."

"The infection?" I asked, recalling what Dinah told me.

"They were still alive, Missy," he shook as he breathed out. "I know they were under control of the Endbringer. I know they couldn't be saved, that they were in pain and being used as puppets. Or at least that's what everyone else insists. But I can't force myself to believe it. They were still human beings. When they screamed, it was in fear and pain. They were victims, Missy, not monsters. I tried to make it quick. Painless as I could. But..."

He sobbed, and I felt my body jolt from the spasm. I've never seen him cry before. He was always so stoic about things like that. I looked up at him, brushed his cheek and felt wetness.

"If they said there was nothing that could be done, I believe it," I insisted.

"Some of them were children," I felt his face shift as he clenched his eyes shut. "I don't just mean teenagers. I mean children. Five and six year olds, too young to even comprehend what was happening to them. All they understood about it was the fear and pain and me killing them. How am I supposed to live with that?"

"I don't know," I admitted. I should have been there. To share some of the burden. Instead Theo had to go through that, while I had a workout and talked to Dinah about Shakespeare. I fucked up and wasn't able to help, then. I needed to help, now. "It's not your fault. It's the fucking Endmakers."

"I've never killed before," he spoke quietly. "I didn't want to. But if they got out, they could have spread their infection to millions of others. And I thought about what Dream Girl did and how I could have prevented everything she did by stopping her for real, and I didn't and I hated my self. This time I did and I hate myself even more. This isn't what being a hero is supposed to be about."

"No, it's not," I agreed. "But the deck is stacked against heroes. The source of our powers is the enemy to all of us. Monsters using us as weapons tests. It's not your fault, or mine, or those people who were used by that Endbringer. In the end, it's all Scion's fault. And we know it doesn't care about the suffering we're going through. We're just food that's getting played with first."

"That doesn't absolve us of responsibility," he responded.

"I know," I sighed, I stroked his cheek gently. His skin was rough since he hadn't shaved for a couple days. "But maybe it can help put things into perspective. Let you think more about what would have happened if you didn't do anything. How many more would have died?"

"I don't know if I can," he replied. "Thinking of people like that. This many dead so that many more can live. I just... I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I start treating people like that."

I squeezed him. "I know," I closed my own eyes. "You care about people too much for that. It's part of why I love you. I'm willing to bet if Riley was here, she'd agree fully. You're a good man."

He was quiet for a while. "Thanks, that means a lot."

=====================

A/N- Dammit, Missy, stop hogging all the limelight!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  20. Daunmi

Well, she doesn't get a chance too often.

21. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Don't listen. I'm perfectly fine with Missy glutting on the spotlight.

Dinah apologizes for not meeting your expectations of young teenage girls. That apology even has a 7.373% chance of being sincere!

22. Empiricist

Empiricist GSV

Um. . . I'm no Yamada fan, but wouldn't Lisa or maybe Dragon be mandating that Missy, and well everyone in the endbringer fights get some counseling? I might have missed it with Pantheon doing a decent job forming a superhuman military, but why isn't Pantheon giving institutional psychological help as part of it's Google like benefits package?

TanaNari likes this.
  23. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Because getting Professional help doesn't do the shards any favor,their shards have strangered them to never see that as a choice. or Pantheon wants them to trigger again so they have more fire power,if they become mentality unstable they're put down and they reboot a pretriggered copy.if they're stable then they reboot a copy with the old power to increase their numbers.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Obliviated fan and Empiricist like this.
  24. kenhikaru

kenhikaru Not too sore, are you?

Sorry, but that's wrong. It is a word. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless
    Language, pretty much by definition, is adaptive. New words are created and come into use all the time, and others disappear.

25. Thunder Man Soul

Thunder Man Soul (Verified Prime)

Regardless = without regard for
    Ir = a negative modifier; i.e. "irrespective = without respect for"
    Thus
    Irregardless = without without regard for.
    It's a nonsensical double-negative.

words don't need to follow the normal pre-fix, root word, suffix style. So your definition is wrong.

Irregardless = I don't give a fuck.

It's a matter of magnitude. ;)

Damn quote thing shitting out on me.

Buggy123, TanaNari and Silvercrystal like this.
  26. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

worn

That's rough, buddy.

Buggy123 and daimahou like this.
  27. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

While that's technically true, I wouldn't assume that means they'll be allies.
    Anyways, alot of us use kind of nonstandard English, alright?
    And the rest of you can't have expected anything different.

Update:
    two
    Never mention this in your girlfriend's hearing.
    'Oh' should be italicized, I think.
    used
    it
    It wouldn't surprise me if Pantheon made such help available. That doesn't necessarily mean that you can mandate it, though.
    Nobody cares, and all of that has been said already four different times.

28. evildice

If you're going to criticize someone for trying to insert formal logic rules into language, you really ought to include phrases like:
    - "Yeah, right."
    - "We could care less about..."

That sort of instantiated refutation can help elevate the sensation of rebuke from a mild sting into a lasting burn.

Er, I mean, you can help teach people by using a concrete example. Yeah, that's the ticket.

29. Hexed999

Hexed999 I trust you know where the happy button is?

For some reason, this gives me the impression that one of them is going to lose an arm in the next endbringer fight

30. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

I'd say it should be Taylor because arm loss is usually her theme but that already been done here and it's pretty much a non-issue now, to the point that I don't think anyone would even bother commenting on it if it happened to her.

I'm relatively certain Amelia has a spare chamber hidden away with lots of spare limbs pre-made just in case Taylor feels like reliving the good old days.