1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

Hmm. Lemme think.

Fire... fire bad.

2. UltimateGrr

UltimateGrr I trust you know where the happy button is?

So is being drowned in bugs. Fire eventually kills the nerve endings and stops the pain.

Prince Charon and TanaNari like this.
  3. Hexed999

Hexed999 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Bugs would send you into to shock long before fire killed your nerve endings and burns are notoriously bad for shock.

Prince Charon and TanaNari like this.
  4. Spetz N9ne

Spetz N9ne Making the rounds.

You know, it really is too bad that Beth isn't the kind of person who can enjoy being hammy on occasion. Her power sounds like it would be a blast for someone like Mouse Protector. I wouldn't hate getting to give a bunch of faux-fantasy speeches every time I wanted to use my power, but that's probably all of the D&D I've played biasing me.

5. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

6. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

Do you mean that he's almost always using it, or that he's almost never using it?
    "We can kill them after we find that out, right?"
    This is never going to stop being funny. Never.
    have shunt drives
    The nuclear option.
    Why do supervillain bases always have armed guards? I mean, the only people who would attack a secret base are superheroes. Wouldn't it be more effective to hire elderly women, who run outside and shout at the heroes? Or, to take a page out of Skitter's handbook, a bunch of children who start crying?
    Imagine how adorable it was when she was still interested in princesses. But, after four years, not so much.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  7. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Quick question: is Synth canon, or an OC?

Because I have someone not unlike him coming up in one of my stories.

Ryan Bazana and TanaNari like this.
  8. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

They're canon characters.

He's an OC. But feel free to use him.

Sheaman3773 and Ryan Bazana like this.
  9. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

10. jcogginsa

jcogginsa Versed in the lewd.

IIRC, Ligeia is one of the more broken Canon characters(though not particularly useful for pantheon)

TanaNari likes this.
  11. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Poor Beth. I can see her trying to get lots of solo deployments so she doesn't have to deal with snickering teammates.

Lisa, why are you doing this?

Ah.

12. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

Yeah, I noticed that before posting, but I forgot to take out one of the lines mentioning it.

Does anyone know if wildbow has said anything about how he picked the names for Accord's people?

13. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Two theories on Lisa actively being bitchy here.
    1. To tweak Accord. Entirely possible and well within her canon personality.
    2. Dinah gave better odds if they are thrown into the mission without a proper briefing about what is coming. You can't overthink details you don't know after all.

Prince Charon and Divabot like this.
  14. dasstan

dasstan :)

Good lordy. 20,000 semi autonomous projections. That's a heck of a master power... Now they just need to get Defiant to make them tiny pixie guns.

15. UltimateGrr

UltimateGrr I trust you know where the happy button is?

He'd either have a techgasim at what that would involve, or flat out NOPE you because of number of guns involved.

Halberds on the other hand...

Defiant: a..Yes, halbreds would work. And we can give them little nano-thorn generators and use them to slay Enbringers! Now, where am I going to get a duck and a rubber hose at this time of night? *trails off in mumbles as he power walks to the workshop.*

16. dasstan

Throw in a tinker-tech duplicate of Vista's power, and Beth can have an entire armory for her pixie minions. An armory full of tiny little anti-Endbringer weapons.

17. moontheir4

moontheir4 Nothing to see here. Move along.

Pair?

TanaNari likes this.
  18. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Probably the second one since Lisa ended up using her power on herself and worked out that she gets much better use out of it if she's not being needlessly antagonising.

Although that doesn't mean she's not after something specific...

19. VaporDeagle

VaporDeagle A

Which isn't going to help her anxiety issue at all...

Wait a second, that explain a lot.

20. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

Pixies. Also know as goddamned flying piranhas. *shudder*

21. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Normal pixies are kinda freaky looking. I bet these ones look like Tinkerbell.

That's right. Torn apart by a swarm of Tinkerbells.

22. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Given actual faery tales, that fits.

23. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Death by Pixies?
    this is the only thing that comes to mind when I read that.

24. Masked Menace

Masked Menace Making the rounds.

I don't quite understand the latter part of this paragraph. It seems like you are saying that they like to pretend that Sabah is weaker than she is, bu then you have the next bit which doesn't quite make sense.

I think you are trying to say something about how they are tricking people into thinking that she can affect people as well as non living matter but it's really not very clear.

25. Andrew Greaves

Andrew Greaves Wonderseeker

Redefining the term, 'death by a thousand cuts' are we?

Tenebrous Fantasies and TanaNari like this.
  26. RocjawCypher

RocjawCypher Making the rounds.

FOR THE 'ZA LORD!
    -Toot, The Dresden files.

baabomb, Sheaman3773 and Pathos like this.
  27. dasstan

I was wondering when someone was going to make that reference.
    What issues?

28. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 346- Lisa
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 346- Lisa

Improved reaction speed, interpreting of data. Harnessing Uber's power to instinctively know how to achieve a goal. Filling in gaps of knowledge. I watched as the twins sat at a couple terminals, correcting papers written by experts in the fields of medical radiology and submarine design. Two subjects chosen specifically because neither of them had any knowledge of those subjects. Advancing technology and knowledge that, theoretically, no one on Aleph or Bet should know. Uber's power does not rely upon a human knowledge pool, or if it does it extends to dimensions outside our access.

"I trust you'll send those papers by your people?" Alexandria asked. She didn't feel the need to mention the PRT had several experts of their own waiting to see the results of this experiment. Subtler hints in behavior than usual, afraid to let Gemini catch on to our method of communication, misses our ability to communicate and is taking a risk by using it anyway. Addictive properties brought on by Passenger impulse. Identical side effects to Taylia.

Fuck! Already aware of my reaction, curious and concerned about my sudden emotional change. I took the effort to shift subtly and look out at the twins. She'd get the idea that this is not something I can explain under current circumstances.

"Dragon's probably built a time altering device so she could read them yesterday," I quipped back.

Displeased with circumstances, recognizes necessity. She took the implied subject change for what it was. "In the unlikely event that you're exaggerating Dragon's skills, I'll see to it you're provided a copy of the same records we have." Referencing Dragon's Key, agreeing to hand it over. I wasn't a fool, I didn't believe for a second that Cauldron would hand it over without making a viable copy of it. The mere fact that we had a copy of our own hopefully meant we'd find a way to circumvent the intentional design flaws permanently. No, they're giving us the original, know we'd discover if we were given a fake or duplicate. Aware of my postcognitive ability? Unknowable.

I looked over at the twins. They'd moved on to one of the 'curveball' sections. One in botany studying several species of plants found in Norway's Earth, whose ancestors apparently went extinct on Bet a couple million or so years ago, and a series of made up, but highly plausible, plants invented for fantasy and science fiction stories. Dragon picked them out for the experiment. The other was working on a series of evolutionary theory models. We wanted to see how their powers handled information they could not possibly possess, untested or untestable ideas, and a bunch of stuff that was just plain made up and/or fictional.

Even through the fog of information I was getting off Gemini, and the sheer weight of implications of the Key, I couldn't help but think of Taylor. The real Taylor. My best friend, who told me to fuck off and then killed herself in an absurdly visible way just to prove a point. It hurt a little, every time I saw her replacement, the girl my power said was only a few months old, running around with her personality, memories, powers and even life. Whose death I indirectly contributed to.

She would be dead now, anyway, I tried to assuage my guilt. Tohu and Bohu would have killed her just as certainly as they killed her replacement. She died on her own terms stopping the Butcher forever. Not a lot of people get to choose how they die. As much of a control freak as Taylor was, she was no doubt happy to be one of those few. On a good day, I even managed to believe that.

Rebecca tensed. Concerned, worried for my wellbeing, wants to comfort me. I looked at the twins and pushed my grin back up to its usual state, letting her know that her thoughts were appreciated. I waited silently for Gemini complete their current project, then spoke up.

"How's it going?" I asked them.

"Not bad at all," the one I'd come to think of as the elder brother with the white background on his right side spoke. He tended to be the leader of the pair, but they'd change that on a whim, to the point where I suspected they changed costumes in the middle of the day just so both got practice playing the role of leader. "Although that last project kinda sucked."

"That's because it was meant to," his twin asserted. He spent the time his brother was talking to cold read us. The pair came with their own inherent sense of planning with their sibling, so they were constantly running support for each others' plots and performances. "A test on the limits of our abilities by throwing something at us that should be beyond our current powers to understand."

"From your reactions, I assume it was?" Alexandria asked.

"You'd better believe it, babe," Elder laughed. "By the way, your power is my favorite. I hope we get to see more of it in the future." He winked at Alexandria, who simply ignored the behavior.

"You say that to literally everyone whose powers you borrow," I sighed.

"Aww," Younger whined. "Why do you have to ruin our fun like that?"

"Nah, see, ruining your fun would be letting Accord know you say that to everyone," I retorted. On some level, the man no doubt already knew it was nothing but meaningless flattery, but it stroked his ego. "I need to let my power take a break, so we're moving to phase two of the tests."

"Can't we keep just one?" Younger begged. I just stood there and looked at them, thinking about how odd it was that I was playing strict mother to a pair of guys that were older than me by about four years. Younger finally relented. "Fiiine."

Again, the change in their body language was abrupt and significant, taking their confidence and replacing it with a timid demeanor. The pair went back to the first set of computers they'd worked on. Now it was time to see how much they still understood from their time spent using Alexandria's power. It also meant I could communicate properly with her for a time.

She regarded me in silence as I conveyed my concern about what I was about to tell her, and extracted a promise from her that this didn't go past just us. It took less than fifteen minutes for Gemini to go through their first three terminals each when they had their copied powers. In the hour it took them to review their first terminals without any powers, I slowly conveyed the story of Taylia to Rebecca. What it really was, and all the risk that it carried for girls bound to it. Secrets that I'd kept to myself since that fateful day in early July.

I didn't trust myself to explain Taylor's death. I didn't believe I could do that and keep my composure enough to hide our conversation from the many spies pointed at us. I did manage to explain the addictive traits inherent in the process, and that Rebecca and I showed similar side effects.

She glanced to her side and removed her phone, checking messages, though I was certain she'd already checked them via her changeling, or the tech in the armor she used.

Hesitant about situation, unsure how to approach the idea that our powers are a mind altering drug, considering the possibility of us avoiding each other to mitigate the possible influences of our powers. Immediate negative response to that idea, enjoys the connection, doesn't want to be alone. Choosing a method to rationalize the emotional decision she's already made.

She shifted slightly, conveying a concept of resignation. Not acceptance or happiness, simple resignation to the reality of the issue. Her left hand moved open slightly, and she tilted her hands inward toward her hip, and gestured toward the twins with her thumb. It took me a moment to piece together the message even with my power. Dislikes the nature of powers influencing her behavior, but admits that's already the case, always has been the case. All Passengers influenced the minds of their hosts, she wasn't going to pretend we were an exception to that.

She expanded her hand again. Saying that it was more than that, even. Conveying idea of broader behavior. Human beings as creatures controlled by chemistry. Thinkers, especially, as creatures influenced by their powers. She closed her hand gently. We are already caught by our powers, we might as well accept that and at least enjoy the parts that are good for us, because we're going to suffer the bad parts no matter what we do.

I was both relieved and disappointed. Taylor said some things very similar to that, in defense of Taylia. I conveyed that sentiment to Alexandria by my hand over the armor plating of my other arm. In the early days, our armor was alive, with a chitin-like shell for protection. A sign of how things have changed.

She stood confident, and managed to make an approving gesture with her hand. Feels Taylor is right about that decision.

I almost flinched. Pulling them apart had caused so much pain, because they'd been connected so long. Rebecca and I were far less tied together, both because of less total exposure, and because our powers didn't link as fluidly as Taylia. We still had a chance to break free of the cycle before it was too late.

She tilted her head and traced her finger in a way reminiscent of cutting with a knife. Gesture suggesting self harm, wondering if our bond could be compared to Taylia in terms of the other risks. If she believes there's a physical risk, she's willing to break away. If not, she's prefer to see where this path leads.

"Okay, guys, it's time for you to pick up your powers and go back to the first stage tests again," I spoke to the twins. I relaxed slightly, conveying a lack of concern. The other side effects aside, our powers carried nowhere near the same dangers that Taylia did.

Rebecca was both relieved and concerned. Mind made up, she doesn't want to stop using our connection. Knows that I don't, either. Afraid I'll do it anyway, due to prior experiences. If we were alone, I would have hugged her right then. You win again, Taylor.

Underneath all of that, she asked the question I had been dreading the whole time.

Will we be forced to stop them?

===============

A/N- Yeah, I may have skipped an update. I was too busy binging on Dragon Unbound. It was really good. Definitely in my top 5 slot for Worm fics. Not quite Weaver Nine or Wake/Cenotaph territory. But still freakin' awesome.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  29. dasstan

left hand?

Anyway, very emotionally heavy chapter. Since power interactions act as a fog for Contessa/other thinkers in general, are Alexandria and Minerva constantly flitting in and out of the fog whenever they communicate? If so, will any thinkers watching the proceedings be getting skewed results? Or is the less direct nature of the Rebisa/Lisecca bond neatly sidestepping those issues?

30. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

Possibly advanced, but advancing is a valid, if unusual way to phrase it
    series of evoluntionary
    Lewd. Also, seriously Lisa? Your "friend"?