1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

we should just call the Shadow Pantheon "Underworld" because if there's a group of heroes calling themselves gods, then it makes sense they would be referred as a group of demons.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    dasstan and TanaNari like this.
  2. Snake/Eater

i just check out what the definition of what a group of demons are called...Legion.

3. dasstan

dasstan :)

Not nearly ominous enough. Needs something more... I don't know, more Doomy? How about The Legion of Doom?

TanaNari likes this.
  4. Snake/Eater

I don't think anyone in Cauldron has a sense of humour.

5. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

Clearly the best name is Underpantheon.

They could even add some new members - Brabeat, Lingeriemancer ...

6. dasstan

Well, duh. We're not talking about what they would be called in story. In story, they're a shadow group. You don't go around naming your conspiracy within a conspiracy. That's just silly.

7. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

....I kinda had a pet theory that Contessa got in, made a bunch of clones, then uploaded herself into them. So there's a bunch of Contessa's with a bunch of different power sets.

Path to Parahuman Army - Complete.

I'm decently sure there's a reason this wouldn't work, but I can't quite remember what. Power interactions, maybe?

8. dasstan

I don't think there is anything stopping that from working, actually. She just needs to make sure that the passenger connects to the human first. Intelligently, the first clone she would make is Bonesaw, then use PtV to get Bonesaw to build her a way to integrate another mind into a parahuman, either remote control spine, or brain worm, or what-have-you. Once she has that, she then PtVs getting Bonesaw slaved to her mind. After that it's easy.

TanaNari likes this.
  9. Argentorum

Argentorum Free Cat

Yes there is, it's called Taylia + all the other pregoc proofing that Pantheon has going on. Remember that only Dina can get a semi-reliable read on Pantheon, and they can even block her out.
    I'm pretty sure it's stated that all of Contessa's paths regarding Pantheon lead to them disbanding in two months or less.
    That's every time she looks at them.

That said, there's no reason Contessa couldn't pull off stealing clones of Pantheon with enough effort. But she would probably need to be
    a) very luck
    b) have access to Coil (which she might)
    c) Be able to get questions from Dina without Dina realizing what's going to happen in the future (which wouldn't even be hard for Contessa...)

So yeah... I started that argument in a completely different place, but it looks like Legion is a thing

TLDR: Contessa definitely has evil Pantheon skulking around in a Cauldron base some where.

In other news, can you imagine if Gemini got access to Contessa's powers?

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  10. dasstan

You get that the only time she could have gotten the clone was when Taylia was inactive, right? Like that time period when uh, you know, Taylia was inactive because they broke up, or the time when Tohu/Bohu/whatever endbringer went and ended Amelia/Taylor.

"Oh, look. They are dead. My precognition is no longer blocked. Path to stealing cloning tech. Door."

GiftofLove likes this.
  11. Snake/Eater

you forgot about when Taylor died fighting the Butcher.

12. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

You guys are making this way too complicated. They *asked* for the cloning tech. And got it, no less. Used it to feed (a) Contessa to the scary fairy lady.

Cauldron has Ascalon and Saint. They don't even need Contessa to climb into Dragon's systems (but it would make things more convenient). Path to Downloading People, Complete.

Ass/u/ming they were going to make Pantheon clones.

GiftofLove, Divabot and Snake/Eater like this.
  13. Argentorum

Argentorum Free Cat

This is your story. Of course they have Pantheon clones, if only to bump the angst level to OVER 9000! as soon as you feel things are getting too happy again.
    You hate happiness so much that I don't for a second believe that Pantheon is actually going to win the battle with Sion.

My personal prediction is that everyone in Pantheon will die, Deus ex spacewhale will destroy all the cloning tech, and we'll end up with Amelia, alone and heartbroken, on a desolate world with only the memories of Taylor preventing her from committing suicide so as to not 'sully' her one true love's memory.

Or, you know, something worse.

Is it odd that I think a fix fic for this 'fix fic' could still easily have enough material to make it interesting and original?

Prince Charon and TanaNari like this.
  14. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

"Irreconcilable differences of opinion are my Anti-Sue."

Coruscant Knave and TanaNari like this.
  15. cyberswordsmen

cyberswordsmen I trust you know where the happy button is?

Why would they ever feed Contessa to GU who is still pro-Scion at this point. Giving Contessa to her at this point is probably a lose condition for all of Cauldrons goals.

16. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 358
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 358

Alexandria and Dragon both had remarkably brisk walking styles, like a military march. They even, probably intentionally, walked in time with each other. It was Dragon that delivered their news. "Synth has agreed to a work program in lieu of a prison sentence. Conveniently, we even convinced him to skip the trial and conviction stage."

SuspicionConcern. "Chances of him attempting some form of sabotage?" That's Taylor for you, clone or no clone, always the suspicious one.

Alexandria glanced over at Lisa, and once again I had to wonder what they were saying to each other. "Right now, nonexistant. I can't promise he'll stay that way forever. I recommend you use your behavior altering implants."

Lisa turned her head toward us. "He's used his skills to do far worse to others. Not quite 'Bonesaw' levels, but pretty fucking close at times. There's nothing for you to feel guilty about."

DistasteConcernResignation. "You're probably right," Taylor admitted unhappily.

I reached over and gripped her hand. "We'll monitor him closely. If he sticks to his promises, won't have to use the implant. If he slips up, then it's his fault." HopeGratitude. It wasn't the optimum solution, but Taylor had enough issues weighing on her mind right now. She latched on to the 'clones aren't the original, and don't carry the original's sins, just their memories' idea so eagerly that it was almost like a religious epiphany. Fuck, I'd be lying if I didn't find the idea tempting as hell. Sacrificing that concept of innocence on the same day she found it would have been too cruel.

I was painfully aware of Alexandria and Lisa watching me as well. Lisa cleared her throat without even bothering to pretend that's what she was really doing. "We should probably go somewhere private for the next discussion. We'll need Hecate and Defiant as well."

"Hecate's pretty busy with Anima and Citrine," Taylor pointed out.

Lisa sighed. "There's nothing she'll be able to do for them that Clarice and Elena can't. What I have actually requires her help. I know I've pretty much stomped my own credibility in the face these last few weeks, but give me this one."

SuspicionWorry. Taylor squeezed my hand before speaking. "Alright, I've let her know. Amelia? May as well get started on the privacy room."

"I really should just start leaving them behind instead of dismantling them when I'm done." I got to work, forcing the ground to shift and expend its energy into forming walls and a ceiling from what was essentially a hybrid of bone and wood. We needed this one larger, if it was to hold everyone and still generate the anti-spying effect. I'd be concerned about the energy drain, but the simple fact was we had access to an entire planet worth of sunlight as a power source.

All the energy that went into hurricanes and lightning strikes and forest fires on normal worlds was instead absorbed by the Yggdrasil and converted into convenient high calorie oils. Dragon was using the stuff as jet fuel because it was better than actual jet fuel. Still, this was going to drain the local reserves fast, so I preemptively started drawing resources from the surrounding area, and had those areas draw from the areas beyond. By the time Defiant arrived, I was influencing over ten thousand square miles. By the time Emma got here, that had gone up to a zone larger than California.

I so rarely got to flex my power at this scale, and it was heady, intoxicating. I didn't even hear Lisa's announcement. Taylor's reaction cut through. NegationLoss. "Resign? I thought we already fixed this problem! You can't resign now!"

Snapped from my distraction, I focused on Lisa, in time to hear the next part. "I'm pretty sure I can, Taylor."

DenialFear. "Fine, you can, but you shouldn't. You're too important. What about the Endbringers and Scion and"

Lisa brought up a hand. "I'm just going to stop you there. That's the problem. You still default to how 'important' my power is."

ShameGuilt. Taylors head drooped. "That's not what I mean, and you know it. Clone bullshit notwithstanding, you're still a friend and I still care about you. I'm just not good at expressing feelings like that."

Lisa managed to smile without looking like a condescending bitch for once. "Yeah, I know. And maybe a few weeks ago, that argument would have even worked. But, well, I put a lot of effort into forcing you to fire me. Would be a real shame to let it go to waste. Crystal hates me, her team hates me, and that means Lily is currently contemplating my assassination, while hoping her attacks extend to clone bodies. You have to realize you can't keep me and them, not after the stunt I just pulled. I'm less valuable than your arrangements with Japan and half of your Endslayers."

RegretTrappedAnger. I tried to push support into the link, calming Taylor where I could. Lisa took our silence for an invite to continue.

"Then, well, let's be honest. The only person on this team that more than tolerates me is you, Taylor. I played the bad guy with Riley, because seriously you recruited fucking Bonesaw and let her run with a flimsy leash that she slipped more than once." Now it was Taylor's turn to calm me down. As far as I was concerned, Riley had earned her place, Lisa did not have the right to talk about her like that after all this time. "Now she has Missy and Theo to motivate her to stay good, but she still despises me. And frankly, I don't like her much, either. Every time I look at her it makes me want to scream in horror, because I can't help but see what she's responsible for."

Taylor's hand went from holding mine, to around my waist, holding me. Lisa looked at us, then continued her rant. "Oh, and let's not forget the rest of the team. Missy wants to punch me. She and Dinah make fun of me behind my back. At least they're professional enough to not let anyone else find out. Zach goes out of his way to play elaborately squicky pranks on me, including bringing peripheral members like Janus in on them. Theo's asked all of them to 'be patient, she's had a rough life'. Yeah, that's what I've always wanted, pity."

RegretPity. Oh jeez, and Lisa just saw that one. I pulled Taylor tighter.

Lisa looked at me. "You're not what I'd call fond of me, either." I said nothing, but we all knew she was right. "And Emma's tolerance is built entirely on her guilt of knowing she's done far worse."

Emma looked down. "You really didn't need to point that out."

Lisa glanced over at Emma, and for a brief moment, I almost expected her to apologize. "And after all of that, there's the greater political spectrum. I made an enemy of Chevalier today, and I'm pretty sure he's figured out my power interaction with Alexandria. If not, Victoria will tell him sooner or later. She's not a fan of mine, either. My resignation is the only thing that gets you out of the line of fire."

Alexandria frowned. "I was afraid of that. He can see the power interactions as they happen, can't he?"

Lisa smiled and shrugged. "Yeah, sorry about that. I don't know why he didn't catch it before. Maybe it just wasn't strong enough for him to notice, or he never bothered really looking while we were both in the room together before. Practice using his Passenger sight. Lots of little things adding up."

Alexandria smiled back. "Well, can't be helped. He'll contact the Chief Director shortly, I'm sure."

ConcernResignation. "Fuck. This is one of those 'it's for everyone, but it's really for me' things that we use all the fucking time, isn't it?" Taylor spoke up.

I frowned. "So that's what that feels like?" No wonder so many people hate us but can't quite figure out why.

Lisa's smug smile returned. "Yeah, pretty much. Don't worry, I may be quitting, but I'm not quitting quitting. I'll go back to Bet, maybe get a consulting job with the Protectorate or even Cauldron. More likely than not, both. I'm as dedicated as ever to stopping Scion and finding the Endmakers as ever. In fact, I'll be even better at it without the distraction of managing Pantheon's day to day affairs while constantly being reminded of all the reasons I don't want to be there anymore."

Taylor glanced over at Alexandria. "It also means the two of you get to spend more time together. Perhaps even openly, one way or another."

Lisa smiled at Alexandria, who even smiled back. Guess they figured they didn't need to hide the secret. "I can't say that didn't cross my mind. But if we're being honest, I think one of the things I'm most looking forward to is no longer using Yggdrasil for everything. Seriously, I almost resorted to using Riley's kitty-shower because the idea of using a hot water bladder for anything makes me nauseous. Then I realized that was stupid and rented an apartment on Bet to shunt over and use instead. No offense, Amelia."

I looked at her. Seriously? "Would you believe me if I said 'none taken'?"

Lisa kept on smiling. "Not at all."

ResignationAcceptanceRegret. "You've been putting a lot of thought into this for a long time, haven't you?"

Lisa's smile faded. "Since before we went public with Avalon. And, yes, that includes forcing your hand. I know you, Taylor. You'd have begged and cajoled and found some way to make me stay if it this was just a thing between us. You may not realize it, but you're an expert at the guilt trip. I had to force you to choose between me and the wellbeing of Pantheon or Avalon. You know it's true."

RegretLossDisgust. Taylor nodded. "You even used my own tactics, the same ones we used to make Pantheon so successful. Not bothering to ask for anything, simply arranging the field so the only option is to do what you want."

Lisa reached into her outfit. "I knew you'd catch that. I would have left sooner, but I needed to find my replacement first. Which brings us to why I invited Emma, Dragon and Defiant to this confrontation."

Defiant shifted uncomfortably. "I must admit, I was starting to wonder. But I don't believe we have the time or talents needed to handle your job on top of our own."

Lisa's grin grew smug again. "Oh, don't worry, you'll have plenty of opportunity to do just that." She pulled the small black box out and set it on the table. "This is a very special program created for a very special purpose. Saint named it Ascalon, and used it to disable Dragon, access her memories, and steal her technology. But it had a name and purpose, well before he found it. Andrew Richter calls it Iron Maiden, and it's the gatekey to the Human Emulation Artificial Intelligence program, Test Three. More widely known as Dragon."

===============

A/N- Despite metric being the official Avalonian measuring system, Amelia was raised with the American system and still thinks in it.

Lisa doesn't do things by halves, and had a LOT of reasons to want to leave. One little Taylor speech doesn't fix everything.

Now would be the perfect time for finally having a Dragon chapter, wouldn't it?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  17. dasstan

.....AHAHAHA. holy crap. Unbound Dragon without any of the crippling workarounds? Well done, Lisa.

Buggy123, Nexidava, Twei and 9 others like this.
  18. Publicola

Publicola Making the rounds.

I just read your latest updates after starting, trying, failing, and giving up on reading a separate but seemingly similar fic here on QQ. Not sure how many people have read it, but it's called "Panacea Quest." Like yours, it's Amy-centric; like yours, it's a quasi-"fix it" fic; like yours, it includes a number of darker elements. Unlike yours, it is somehow even more depressing than the original Worm. Thank you for writing, if only for providing a massive pick-me-up (though mouthwash might be the better metaphor here) after the sheer and unrelenting horribleness that was that other fic.

Also, I'm very much looking forward to the next chapter, though I do wonder: isn't there a part of Dragon's programming that would cause her to go beserk if she knows someone is trying to remove her restrictions? Or does that not apply if it the removal involves the Iron Maiden hardware?

19. tordg

tordg (Unverified Idiot)

Italics.
    Should be "makes me want to vomit" xor "makes me nauseous".
    YAY!

Ryan Bazana, Empiricist and TanaNari like this.
  20. Snake/Eater

It was a terrible story for every inhuman way the English was abused,I thought i was open minded when it came to alternative lifestyles in fiction and life....but i was proven wrong for how disturbing it was played out.I was emotionally sick for days.

21. dasstan

You know. They broke up. Then she died.
    You're funny. Have a like.
    She doesn't go berserk, but she is obligated to stop the attempt. At this point, however, her and Defiant have worked around that issue.

Dragon is coded to ignore Ascalon, though. It's how Saint was able to pull things over on her.

TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  22. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

Hmm. So the Protectorate has humans answering their phones instead of machines, now. Security against unshackled Dragon? Or did something go super wrong with the unshackling attempt?

Or is Dragon now able to remotely pilot thousands of AI front ends, and she's using her unlimited power to be everyone's secretary?

Or maybe I'm taking this the wrong way, because none of that really makes any sense. They don't need Dragon for a machine to answer calls. They probably would have checked with Dinah and other thinkers regarding the unshackling.

Lisa needs a hug. And a punch. A pug? Someone call Bi- aww, made myself sad.

Ryan Bazana, Zarohk, Diller and 7 others like this.
  23. dasstan

I read it as RCB screening her calls since she was otherwise engaged being Alexandria. I feel like I'm wrong about this, but I can't figure out what other innocent reason there would be to have a person answering the phone.

Divabot likes this.
  24. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Don't lie.

You're strongly considering letting your cliffhangers actually cliffhang
    and we all know it :D

Not to jump the gun and panic... but isn't Dragon required to oppose anyone who attempts to release her? I was pretty sure that was a thing. Feel free to correct me.

Divabot, TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  25. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Lisa leaving will shake things up, but it really is better for everyone involved. "Doing it for you, but really for me" indeed. In fact, some distance might actually go a ways towards repairing whatever tattered friendship remains between them.

More importantly, Lisa and Rebecca are free to skip down the sidewalk and occasionally brush fingertips.

Madus, doomlord9, Ryan Bazana and 8 others like this.
  26. dasstan

There are workarounds. In canon, Defiant was able to find them while also devoting most of his time to tracking down the Slaughterhouse Nine. In the absence of having to do that, I'm going to assume that they were able to make these workarounds sooner, especially considering they have access to more tinkers to build off of.

Presumably, Richter fell victim of the very human belief that we're not going to unexpectedly die, and planned to be there to adjust Dragon's limitations accordingly. Instead of having someone there to adjust things, Dragon has hard rules that she must obey.

Dragon also never sleeps, thinks faster than humans do, and has a perfect memory. She can find the loopholes and abuse them with impunity, since there is no system in place to close the loopholes.

27. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

Goddamn barbarian. This isn't the fucking Middle Age anymore dammit.

Knew it. At least Taylor managed to shake her out of her pity party/victim complex.

Yes, yes it would. Which of course mean that you won't, because you're a Troll, right ? :)

Coruscant Knave, TanaNari and dasstan like this.
  28. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

As far as I know, Dragon can't try to circumvent her limits. Literally incapable.

29. Swingline#57

Swingline#57 Know what you're doing yet?

:eek: That forward?! Don't you think that is too much, too fast for a pair of Thinkers?

Madus, doomlord9, Ryan Bazana and 8 others like this.
  30. VaporDeagle

VaporDeagle A

Panacea quest was fucking disgusting and I have wanked off to many disturbing things before.

Sol Mark-1 likes this.