1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. blind-conductor

blind-conductor Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Just popping this out of nowhere but the name Glory-O's makes me hungry. I can see why the ship can be named that but it reminds me of cereal. It is like a parallel to Cheerios! Besides both of them need some good cheer with all that's gone on with them. Or something like that.

dasstan and evildice like this.
  2. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Zachtoria -- very descriptive, and as a bonus can easily be said with condescension tending towards disappointment, as though you're ashamed of her for making such a poor choice. NOT "Zachoria" which sounds too much like "Zacharia" which might be his full name. The extra 'T' is important I feel.

Glosiris -- kinda silly, but at least it's not a part of this complete breakfast.

Glorespawn -- uses his old name, kinda crass, and better saved to use for their inevitable children in ~7 years or so.

3. GorgonEyed

GorgonEyed Five-Star Horror Ham

"Glory is Never Tarnished"?

Not even I'm sure if I mean that to be inspiring or derisive.

TanaNari and Alexandercctv like this.
  4. abyssmal_kismet

abyssmal_kismet Experienced.

My meaningless vote is for "I Got Better."

5. Nigel Burnelli Isaacs

Nigel Burnelli Isaacs Not too sore, are you?

Well for a cape name she could go with Isis and well for the ship name I agree with the above: "I Got Better"

TanaNari and Divabot like this.
  6. Ichypa

Ichypa I trust you know where the happy button is?

Zach and Victoria elope and adopt Theo.

TanaNari and Alexandercctv like this.
  7. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

No, that isn't how second triggers work. At all. Second triggers are a relaxation of restrictions.

8. dasstan

dasstan :)

I have a strange sense of déjà vu. :rolleyes:

TanaNari likes this.
  9. EnderofWorlds

EnderofWorlds Versed in the lewd.

Same here...

TanaNari likes this.
  10. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Let it gooo! Let it gooooooo!

Volkogluk and TanaNari like this.
  11. The Shadowmind

The Shadowmind Well worn.

A symbiotic creature made from the cells of Teacher and/or Ingenue and then triggered, followed by reprogramming of the creature's brain to follow commands sent from the brain stem of the host is against the rules that Amelia set for Bonesaw isn't it?

TanaNari and powerofvoid like this.
  12. Helpless Kitten

Helpless Kitten A dumb asexual cat

Rule #13: Any plan or experiment that involves the phrase "and then we rewrite the brain..." Is to be submitted for ethical review.

Ame, Volkogluk, PineTreeq and 8 others like this.
  13. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

I think with Zach's powers kid's are out of the question and the possibility that he cant age at a normal rate any more,like some kind of weird vampire or highlander.so if the worst case scenario happens there are only two beings in the entire universe... Scion and Zach.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    GiftofLove, Volkogluk and TanaNari like this.
  14. evildice

Rule 13.a: Rewiring the ethical centers of the review board's brains is prohibited.
    Rule 13.b: Altering the brains of the review board in any way before a review is prohibited.
    Rule 13.c: Creating or distributing an agent which alters the brains of any review board member is prohibited.

He can exercise, and Riley can probably find a way to age him up if they want.

But I don't see why his physical age would be any kind of barrier to having kids, so long as he's legally and morally considered to be an adult after the requisite time has passed.

Faraway-R, Ame, Volkogluk and 5 others like this.
  15. dasstan

....Was that a stealth la petite mort joke, or am I just looking too deeply?

16. Snake/Eater

it would be a legal,ethical and moral landmine on the physical age thing and the possibility he might not even father any children is because he when starts to get a little tired he respawns.

Volkogluk likes this.
  17. Snake/Eater

so our ironically named lord of silence got screwed over by his own powers and now scion has an immortal enemy.

TanaNari likes this.
  18. evildice

What "landmine"?

Do you think Alexandria can't vote because her body is time-locked at physical age < 18?

That's nonsense, and entirely without justification.

Dude, he's friends with Riley.

He can have any number of genetic descendents he wants, and Victoria won't even need to play host organism (unless she wants to).

19. Snake/Eater

good god,the last thing Pantheon would need is a pr crisis of creating an clone army of possible celibate immortal soldiers,

TanaNari likes this.
  20. dasstan

Taylia: I/we shall call them The Unsullied. They shall be mine/our eternal army.

Faraway-R, Ame, Volkogluk and 8 others like this.
  21. boonerunner

boonerunner Getting sticky.

I suspect that Chevalier's power is the same one that manufactured the weirdly dense material that the Endbringers are constructed from.

What are the odds that he didn't exist prior to the writing of this chapter?

Um. The time when Riley was growing Vicky's body would be a perfect time for Glory Girl's shard to say "Oh hey, there's my human! I thought she was dead!" and then ping off of Bonesaw's shard which is right there and overflowing with all of this new information.

FTFY

22. dasstan

Shards ping when they trigger. If it had pinged then, Glory Girl would have woken up with powers.

I still hope I'm right about who her parent shard is, though.

TanaNari likes this.
  23. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

So I've never thought of it before today when I saw some other info but how does making something out of endbringer parts actually work? Particularly in regards to creating things with similar properties, because they've clearly got a fairly high degree of gravity nullification going on but they're primary durability is from density as far as I can tell so why is it so useful to replicate its properties? It's been picking at me since I discovered the endbringers outmass galaxies as that feels like something that could go horrifically wrong if someone screws up and makes it interact with gravity somehow, it just seems iffy to me on why the properties are useful to have as all the really strong bits are too difficult to do anything with and the weaker bits should be comparable to tinkertech materials for strength and mass.

24. Gaomachine

Gaomachine Getting out there.

I'm seriously wondering if her new shard isn't just her old shard taking on a new focus since its hosts problems are different now.

25. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 186
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 186

ShockConcernProtective. I simply stood, mouth agape, as my sister was consumed in light. "You got your powers back?" I asked.

"Well, not Glory Girl's powers, no," she corrected as the light faded away. Her hair had changed colors to something more resembling a sunset, with yellows and oranges blending into blues and purples. "But yeah, Victoria is back and better than ever. I'll need a new name and probably a new costume and theme. The old one was nice and all, but... uh... Ames? Were you cut in half recently? Because it really looks like you were cut in half, and it's distracting me."

"Uh... blown up, actually," I admitted.

"Well, never let it be said we live in boring times," Vicky said cheerfully. "So where's your testing facility? I can't fly anymore, but I think I'm faster on foot now than I ever was in the air. We should totally find out."

"Uh... right this way," I answered, leading her to our gym area. It wasn't really a testing facility, but Clarice was pretty much a mobile analysis system. We'd just have to give her a place to work with.

"This is really neat," Clarice started. "So what are your powers?"

"Let's wait until L- Minerva's here to listen," I insisted. "She's our primary thinker, after all."

"I'm here," Lisa answered, coming into the room. She wasn't in costume. "Let's hear it."

"Combat thinker and war form," she answered happily. "I can sense weakpoints and I'm pretty sure I have short range precognition and some kind of echolocation, because I ran here with my eyes closed, and even dodged some traffic. And that was in my normal state."

Lisa's eyes narrowed. "Okay, nevermind the standard tests. Clarice, we're going to have a sparring match."

"This is going to be fun!" Clarice declared.

A half hour later, and the pair of them were still going at it. More than that, Victoria clearly had the upper hand. To the point that it was a joke. Faster, stronger, and an overall better fighter. Eventually, Clarice simply froze and collapsed.

"I think I win," Vicky informed us smugly, standing on the collapsed changeling.

"So, umm, who did she get her power from?" Taylor asked.

Lisa frowned. "This is gonna sound insane, but, she got her powers from Clarice."

"You're right," Taylor answered. "That does sound insane. Clarice is," ConcernSecrecy. Taylor glanced at Vicky.

"Oh, don't worry," Vicky replied. "I knew she was fake the moment I saw her with my new eyes. Oh, by the way, I can hear you from over here. I also know you're fucking terrified of telling me who Clarice really is. I promise not to flip out. Seriously, Ames, you're already engaged to the bitch who fed me to bees," IrritationRegret. "And working alongside the even bigger bitch who shot me so the other one could feed me to bees. It can't possibly get any worse than... oh... fuck, it can get worse than that? How the fuck does it get worse than that?"

"I'd... really... Vicky, could you please not force me to answer?" I asked.

"It's better if you don't find out," Missy stepped up to defend me.

"Happened after my death," Victoria smirked. Her eyes were locked on Lisa's. "After the Slaughterhouse Nine. Connected to the Nine. Don't bother telling me when I figure it out, because I'm pretty sure my power works better than your power. Let's see, was already told Clarice was orphaned by the Nine. Okay, so that story happens to be true, but there's more to it than that."

"Bonesaw," Lisa sighed. "Clarice is a biomechanical puppet piloted by Bonesaw so she can interact with the world safely. The girl was kidnapped by the S9 when she was only six years old, and hadn't ever been able to experience what it's like to just live a normal life."

"Aww, and I was having so much fun doing the same thing to you that you did to me and Amy," Vicky pouted. "You remember that, don't you? Because I'm going to bet it hasn't sucked as much for you to be on the receiving end as it did for me."

"You might be surprised," Lisa retorted, looking down.

"Really?" Vicky's eyes widened in surprise before narrowing. "Good." She paused for a full thirty seconds. "Did you say Bonesaw?"

"Yes," Riley spoke up, walking into the room. "Hi, Vicky, it's nice to see you in person. I'd really prefer to be called Riley by the friends close enough to know who I really am. Hopefully you can be one of those friends?"

Vicky just stood there, staring at the girl. "Know what?" she laughed a little. "I think I just felt all the cares I have die simultaneously. Alderaan style. This is officially the weirdest possible thing in the universe, and the part of me that can be bothered by that has gone on vacation." She walked up to Riley and extended her hand. "It's good to meet you, Riley. Thank you for giving me my new powers."

"My pleasure," Riley responded and shook Vicky's hand like it was a perfectly normal business meeting.

"Okay, now what's this about her getting Clarice's powers, instead of, y'know, Riley's like would make logical sense?" Emma asked.

"I don't suppose any of you have heard of Acquired Characteristics theory?" she looked around, but none of us spoke up. "Figured. Basically, it was the theory of evolution before Darwin. The idea that an animal would do things. Like, say, a proto-giraffe reaching for leaves. And because of that, its offspring would inherit slightly longer necks for better reaching. Now, we've learned that doesn't work in normal earth life, because we run on genetics. But it's how Passengers evolve. They're shown how to do something by their hosts, then they reproduce and the offspring does something different. Incorporates those new ideas."

"That makes a lot of sense!" Emma declared excitedly. "Riley's Passenger is a biotinker... it knows how to be a biotinker. But thanks to Clarice, it was taught how to be a shapeshifting supersensory powered brute. So when it bred, the new Passenger was selected from those traits, to test the new evolutionary path."

"But don't Passengers choose people close to the original host?" Crystal asked. "Like family. Riley hasn't spent any time near Vicky."

"You need to redefine 'close'," Lisa smiled. "These things jump between dimensions like we change channels on the TV. They can reach to the other side of the world with no apparent effort while their real bodies remain hidden a thousand realities away from us. Do you really think physical proximity means anything to them? No, when they breed, they select a host that's close to the origin host on a mental level. So that they can protect and incubate their offspring directly. Riley's Passenger selected the living human that Riley paid the most attention to, cared the most about, that wasn't already a parahuman. Isn't that right, Riley?"

"Wasn't my power from Oni Lee?" Zach interrupted. "I'm pretty sure I never spent any time making friends with asian psychopaths."

"What Passengers do when a host dies is different," Lisa answered. "Then they just move on to a new one. This is about what happens when they breed. A baby Passenger set up to be guarded until it matures properly."

"It's true," Riley admitted. "She's my Big Sister's sister, after all. And Zach's friend. And my friend. And she's funny. Of course I am ready to protect her from harm. Plus I spent an awful lot of time figuring out all the details of her genetics from scratch. A tinker has to take pride in her work."

"Exactly," Lisa responded. "Now, her powers include a massive suite of sensory powers, including a few that you only include in some models because their energy and space requirements are too high to use together, and all the best of everything else you've ever packed into a Clarice body. Only better, because it's a Passenger doing the work instead of technology.

"What about her other power?" I asked. "The glow that accompanies her transformations?"

"Probably got it from one of the other Passengers. Whichever one, or ones, that Riley's selected as a 'mate'. Could be Zach's, he has a breaker state. Then there's her parents, Brandish and Flashbang are both are breakers as well. I'd put Brandish as the most likely. She transforms her body into energy. Victoria infuses her body with energy and uses that to manipulate and adjust details at will."

"So... I'm like if my mom had a baby with Bonesaw?" Vicky asked. "Know what? I lied. Now there is no way this day can get any weirder."

"This is awesome," Riley declared, smiling bright. She then glomped Victoria, hugging her hard as she could. "I always wanted to be a mommy!"

=============

A/N- Riley will never stop being adorable.

Also- Tattletale isn't always right. Remember that, kids.

26. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

endbringer density is like a pyramid viewed from the bottom with each layer in a separate dimension. if your attack is near the outside, it only has to go through one layer of endbringer. near the centre, it has to go through lots of layers.
    the reason they don't have a...heh...massive gravitational pull is because, while all the layers are counted at once, they're each in separate dimensions and each individual one only has a small amount of mass (how much would depend on the actual stuff they're made of and how dense it is)
    so if you completely isolated earth Bet in the worm multiverse, leviathan would be perhaps a couple of tons in weight and would have a consistent density/toughness of....lets say steel.

so on earth bet there's a full size leviathan with the toughness of steel
    on Unnamed earth #436 there's most of a leviathan with the toughness of steel
    on Unnamed earth #974 there's a large portion of a leviathan with the toughness of steel
    etcetera, etcetera.
    when you hit leviathan, you're not hitting one of him, you're hitting lots of leviathans and the apparent density increases as you would expect despite each one only weighing a few tons

lets say a brute has a punch of 100,000PSI. on the outer layer, this brute hits normally, doing damage.
    on the second layer, they hit two layers at once, increasing the area the force is being delivered to and halving the effect.
    on the third layer, they hit three (or four if it's actually exponential) layers and the area increases again and their punch only hits leviathan with 33,333 or 25,000 PSI
    by the tenth layer, it's either 10 or 512 leviathans reducing the impact to 10,000 or 195 PSI
    if we assume it is exponential, doubling each time, a dozen layers would be enough to prevent this parahuman doing any damage despite being able to hit ~100X as hard as any human should.
    if each layer were even one inch thick, carving even two feet into leviathan's body would reduce this hypothetical brute's punches to literally tickling.

...man, didn't think I cared enough to make a post this big

Ryuketsu, TanaNari, Ragura and 7 others like this.
  27. WizardTwo

WizardTwo Not too sore, are you?

That sounds like an immense amount of bullshit.
    Source please? Its canoncical that Endbringers are layered like onions and that the deeper you go, the harder they are, but the rest of this...? Never seen it before. Is it WOG from Wildblow?

Dudedude123 and powerofvoid like this.
  28. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

no, I meant to add, that's not WoG, just my perception of the matter. was kinda thinking out loud there a bit. I think it seems pretty accurate but I could be hilariously wrong.

EDIT: accurate or inaccurate, you guys can decide for yourselves based on WoG. that was me putting my headcanon out there in the hopes that it'd help Xilph

29. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

It's WOG that the core is a portal.

30. Stroth

Stroth Definitely not an AI

And sometimes she's quite obtuse.

I mean really Lisa, she just did your cold read the room out loud until you've discovered someone's deepest secrets thing on you and you didn't recognize it? Wow.