1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

She addresses everyone as "Hello Beautiful."

2. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

And yet, I have. Many times. I've skipped over a handful of truly horrific things I could have done to make character and audience suffer.

Having the Yangban sexually abuse Vicky, for example. Oh the mileage I could have gotten from that subplot.

Wasn't even the worst thing I could have done. Top 5 list, yes. But not *the* worst.

That either belongs to the Psycho!Brian revenge arc. Or the Butcher!Taylor arc. Both of which I decided were too dark. And the latter too convoluted.

Thane, jrbless, Alayne and 7 others like this.
  3. dasstan

dasstan :)

You mean they didnt? I thought that was SOP for when a woman gets tortured... although it doesn't seem that far fetched for her war form to lack sex characteristics.

4. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

Thus the takeoff into a true suckularity was avoided and we all breathed a sigh of relief as we were not all pulled beyond an event horizon of abject, pointless, misery.

5. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

I don't think they are dumb enough to get in that kind of position with high level combat thinker / brute combo. Also. if they had done that and Amelia found out, I have visions of the CUI getting hit with horrific bioweapons.

6. Leonidas333

Leonidas333 Well-Known Murderhobo

Yeah, you want to get your dick close to Vickys war form when she's pissed? I didn't think they were able to restrain her that well.
    Edit: Imp, you're alive? Where have you been?

7. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

If they had. I'd have revealed it in character.

I'd have revealed it in character during a Chevalier perspective chapter.

Because I am that much of an ass.

At the same time, feel free to invoke Death of the Author on this one. I'm not necessarily saying it didn't happen. I'm saying I didn't put it in the story. :p There's plenty of things happening I don't put in the story. Every time Zach times a fart to distract Theo so he can finally win a game, for example.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  8. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Interesting take on an interesting power.

9. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

Wow, googling "exotic wedding dresses" and "bizarre wedding dresses" was absurdly disppointing. C'mon humanity! Or Google. Or both. Hell, the results of "anime wedding dresses" were curiously mundane and tame.

So since I figure they would both probably want something a bit classy anyway I vote:

-Taylor gets her Mom's wedding dress (her grandparents had it in storage out of town or something, it's a surprise gift from her dad)
    -Amelia arrives in some fractal Yggdrasil nightmare that she is extremely proud of but gets a rather hostile reaction from Taylia, so she shucks it off revealing a normal-yet-extravagant dress Vicky picked out for her as a contingency.

10. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Ok, excuse me for a moment whilst I throw images at the page (spoiler because... there's a few. Also, kinda big):
    Most of these were taken from here. There's four pages, by the way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although, for some reason I can't see them going for a 'power theme' wedding. I mean, it's such a big part of their lives and day to day concerns, why the hell would they want to be reminded of it? That said, I'm actually imagining a more standard, less extravagant wedding (except for the cake. The cake shall be huge, and probably sentient once Riley is done with it. But it'll taste awesome as it's feeding itself to you (also, I'm now imagining Lisa about to take a bite of cake, only to have Riley come up behind her and whisper in her ear: "I put so much work into it. I hope you like it.")).

Something like this:
    [​IMG]
    It's basic, not really 'showy' so it's nice and personal, practical since it's not one of those huge overdone rocks that gets caught on things, and the blend of colors/metals (I've got no idea because I'm honestly not really well informed about these sorts of things) is a subtle reminder of how much they depend and trust each other.

Simple wedding dresses below (for a given definition of 'simple' since, like regarding most articles of clothing, women be crazy). Excuse me if you think they look terrible, I dress for function rather than form:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I know it's a little later in her life but...
    [​IMG]

11. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Hence the 'unless she had it changed' and the 'my memory on this is pretty bad'. Unlike the original Worm, I can't easily search Amelia for things like this to double check.

Sheaman3773 likes this.
  12. Daunmi

Seems kind of appropriate, and also not...
    [​IMG]

13. Faraway-R

Faraway-R Getting sticky.

It's called "Powers at a price". He did it as well, you know.

Tattletale who gets way too squicked to ever have sex. Panacea whose personal quirks lent themselves so well to this Amelia. Grey Boy and Glaistig Uaine, whose powers screwed their lives making it impossible to live as normals. Imp, who can easily die if she's brained in the head, not because she's finished off but because she's unable to lower her power field and is slowly dying.

It's rare to find people who both win the superpowers lottery and aren't screwed by side effects. People like Legend, or Miss Militia (the only downside is all the horrors she has to remember vividly), or Dragon.
    Have you tried "Fetish wedding dress"? Or "cultural wedding dress"?

Really, if you want to do something unusual, do something like a wedding ceremony from a different culture.
    I love this pic! *Yoink*

14. Daunmi

This is actually a really interesting idea. The 'cultural' part.

Think about it. Taylor and Amelia getting married will be the first celebrity/politician/well known marriage for their entire planet. They already want people to create dishes and sports that will end up being their new culture, so whatever they do for a wedding will probably be taken the same way. Lead by example and all that.

They have an incredibly small ceremony, with only their closest friends and relatives, and the rest of the world swings towards minimalistic weddings as a trend. Eventually, to maintain a close personal atmosphere, weddings become a ritual where the two (sorry Riley, 'or more') people sit themselves down around a candle or meaningful object or whatever and just exchange thoughts and desires on the years they want to spend together.

They have a huge wedding, open to any and all, and future couples (ouch! Sorry!) try to accommodate neighbors and not so close friends leading to community wide weddings, mass weddings or whatever to symbolize that they're all part of a wider community that depends on everyone equally.

I think my optimism is showing. Well, it doesn't hurt to hope I guess.

... shit...

15. meta_halo

meta_halo Making the rounds.

[​IMG]

P.S. Am I the only one who looks at TanaNari's profile pic and accidentally reads his custom title as "Verified Duck" more often than not?

Tenebrous Fantasies and TanaNari like this.
  16. Coruscant Knave

Thanks, Clippy! :p
    It seems likely there was a bit of a goldrush on "famous firsts" on Avalon, and celebrity wedding seems like a shoe-in for thing-that-has-already-happened.

Not that the Empresses' wedding won't still do what you said it would.

Mass, symbolic weddings, while not a thing Taylor and Amelia are likely to prefer, seems like a very fitting thing for Avalon. If they made it a big to-do and announced ahead of time: "We're having a planet-wide wedding. Anyone that wants to get married is welcome to do so at the same time", I can see that having a pretty profound effect.

17. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

To be fair, there's probably not a lot of celebrities moving to Avalon. Colonies are for people who aren't happy where they're at. The famous and powerful are generally happy where they're at. The disenfranchised are generally the ones headed for colony worlds.

And the nature of Avalon's "nation states" method of building would inhibit world scale celebrity.

Although the mass wedding thing is fucking awesome and brilliant and TOTALLY a thing they would do (more weddings, more babies, more colonists).

18. Coruscant Knave

Especially since they can both basically be present for every single one of them.

19. LuridThrone

LuridThrone Sitting On The

They should get married on a stage, and behind them, have massive biotitans copying their motions, one made of bugs and one made of plantflesh. Then leave them there kissing as a permanent monument (timelocked maybe?) to how adorifying the Empresses are.

20. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

And around the seven to fifteen month mark (given that some women would already be pregnant, and others not there yet) the number of girls (and boys) being named Taylor, and girls being named Amelia, as well as the ones that get named Taylor Amelia or Amelia Taylor, would be astounding.

Faraway-R, Nyrath, Divabot and 9 others like this.
  21. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

Do you think there might be an uptick in insect-themed names? Beetle, June, Marty, that sort of thing?

22. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 398- Ayane
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 398- Ayane

Heat radiated off Victoria's body and breath. The analytical part of my brain, the part that had three different Thinkers giving a feed of information that could be sustained for days off my current resources, told me her skin should not be that hot. A fever of close to fifty Celsuis. Parahumans break all the rules, of course, but this was unnatural and unhealthy. That part of my brain was not what I was paying attention to. She was hot and she was inches away from me at all times. Her power actively nullifying mine was, if anything, a greater turn on. Something just barely out of my reach and ever so tantalizing.

The whirl of scents continued around me, but only that one mattered. It was an anchor, my anchor. I looked at her face, longing to touch it, but she was playing a dominance game right now. To get what I want, I have to submit completely. "I'll be good."

Khepri cleared her throat. "Okay, now that all of that is out of the way. Let's get down to business. The power enhancing armor you asked for. We've completed it. There's been a minor sacrifice of ancillary features to make room, but that is almost always the case."

I was unable to speak. Between the promise of the armor, and the effect the woman next to me, I couldn't find my voice. I simply nodded. Dragon- or her robot body that was entirely immune to my power- walked up to me, carrying a scale plated set of red colored armor that was as good as a holy artifact to me.

"There is, however, a question of the level of power we can grant you. Avalon and its allies have access, in one way or another, to almost fifty percent of all parahumans on the planet. With more a possibility in the future. Including a great many of the dead. Given sufficient motivation, we can bring that access up to over ninety percent. The question is how much we want to give you."

I still could only sit there and nod dumbly, letting Dragon help me put on the armor. It had a banded style, reminding me a little of samurai armor or an armadillo's shell. The generic suit I was wearing grew around it and melded into it. My visual display changed, showing a whole new set of features. I shuddered as suckers like that of an octopus stuck to my arms and legs. They didn't tug, merely stayed there like an awkward kiss. Then the power hit me.

I knew how to know things, how to choose skills and use them, total mastery for limited periods of time. Another power giving me awareness of fine detail, perfect memory, and boosted thinking speeds. A weak to medium grade set of flight, energy blasts, and a forcefield. No individual power all that good, but they were impressive in a group. And a power to destroy all inorganic material on touch. It's the same taste as the woman caring for the incredibly powerful girl in the back. All told, it was a versatile set of powers.

I shuddered and nearly collapsed, to be caught by Victoria. The scent from the others ranged from aroused to embarrassed for me. And as the fog cleared, my powers much more satisfied than usual, I could think through them enough to be humiliated. At the same time, all of these combined abilities were nothing compared to Victoria's scent alone, and she wasn't even the fifth most powerful source in this room. I found myself yearning still for the contact of other, more potent, powers. I was just less overwhelmed than before.

"That's a basic package," Khepri informed. "We have others. We felt it was good to start you off with a series of Thinker powers to help you harness the other abilities better. Your armor contains four organic cartridges that are fed by the Yggdrasil and rapidly produce the equivalent of saliva."

"You said something about being expected to work for the others?" Is this what Pantheon's going to be about? This is like pushing drugs. I prayed not, if only because I knew I was too weak to resist if given the opportunity. I've already debased myself much more shamefully for far less than the power they are offering.

Gaea took over for Khepri. "It's more a matter of trust than anything. Some of these powers are terrifying, mitigated only by the fact that they're held by individuals who are otherwise vulnerable or need multiple people to work effectively. To place all of it in the hands of one person is a really big risk."

Gaea stopped and Khepri picked up where she left off. "We are choosing to trust you, but there are limits to the risks we can justify. We have made contact with many of our allies, and they're willing to provide even more options." Khepri finished. "Dragon already has one of the stronger samples, one we can agree to right now. The child responsible for creating the interdimensional doorways. The question we have to ask first is if you'll suffer the side effects of debilitating powers. Labyrinth's power causes hallucinations and trouble interacting with the world. To call her autistic would be a misnomer, but isn't entirely wrong. We're hoping the set of Thinker powers you currently have will be enough to protect you from that influence."

"If it works, if you can use her power safely and create the gateways for us. It will let us cure her. Give her a chance at a normal life." Gaea's power wafted over, a sense of guilt and responsibility with an undercurrent of hope. It made sense, if they were using a mentally disabled child for her powers when they could cure her. "And if you can use her power without her limitations, we could accelerate timetables, do in days what has been taking us weeks."

That's not too big a deal. Easy to agree to. "I only get influenced by a power when I'm actively using it. Even if it has side effects, they'll only be a problem during power use." Gaea's scent had desperation in it, even. Several others did as well. They all share a secret. A huge secret. They're priming me for it.

The man in the armor whose power scared mine spoke up. "I am Chevalier, representing the Protectorate's interests in this matter. If you plan to accept Labyrinth's power, you'll need to agree to maintaining the United Nations arrangements on portal creation. There are a series of regulations in what is and is not acceptable use of the portal creation power. You must obey all of them."

This would give me a chance to work with Lily some more. Her power was intoxicating. I still had some of it in reserve. "I can agree to that. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to hide the fact that I have that power. People knowing what I can really do is worrying." I smiled, the scents of relief. A little bit of, if not trust, than at least the idea that I can show some discretion.

Dragon extended her hand out to me. "If I may? I'll show you how to access the power feeds."

"Umm, sure."

She put a hand on my elbow and gently lifted it up, placing her hand on the plating under my ribcage. A quick push and twist resulted in the panel folding forward. There were slim silver strips of metal. She pulled one out, and replaced it with one she was holding, then folded it back in place. "It's designed for fast switching between powers if you need it. The nature of your power to store abilities over time makes that less useful for you than it might otherwise be."

The new power, replacing the matter destroyer's, was intense and hard for me to understand. The flavor of the girl in the back. Of fantasy made reality and reality made fantasy. I could see why it was so overwhelming to the poor girl. The difference was, I was used to being overwhelmed, and I had decades of experience with how reality worked. I could control this power far better than she did. Certainly easier than controlling my own.

"We wanted to use the same dimensional storage tech we use for our other suits with space limitations. Dozens of powers to swap between with three or four words. But that's highly destructive to organic material, so we have to do it manually," Hecate added. "Speaking of, we have backups for the backups for everything we're going to give you. So, don't be too worried to see one destroyed in a fight."

Victoria laughed. "Not that you're going to lose any fights any time soon. We're going to be loading you up with all the best combat packages we can get our hands on."

Dragon still stood close to me. "First let's talk about the Tinker package. Some of them are unique to dead Tinkers. Including a bombmaker known as Bakuda. Her technology appeared to be a legitimate threat to Leviathan. We never got to study the devices as much as we'd like. Same with Professor Haywire, a dimensional technology specialist and Andrew Richter, a computer programming Tinker. You'll be expected to work closely with our own Tinkers on a semi regular basis on a number of important projects." She looked over at the Empresses, and I could smell their concern and anticipation.

"Don't overwhelm her too soon. She's still got a long day ahead of her." Victoria's voice was like velvet. "Let's let Chevalier cover the next part of the shiny package of options she'll be getting."

"It's an open secret that Avalon's main forces can't openly operate on Bet without causing an international incident. The Endbringer weapons and Dragon's battle suits are only available during Endbringer scale emergencies or United Nations approval. Now that Eidolon has command of the Endbringers, he is similarly blacklisted. This was short sighted given the number of other Class S threats in the world. Such as Sleeper, the Blasphemies, and Ash Beast. In addition to certain large paramilitary organizations such as the terrorists that took Earth Khyber." Or, the Yangban, as everyone knows and no one says. "The Protectorate is willing to offer samples from a series of powerful capes, in exchange for your agreement to participate in all Class S conflicts alongside the Protectorate."

Victoria's hand caressed the back of my neck and the sensation was enough to make my toes curl. "It gets better. You and I and a few others are gonna join a mercenary team and go Nazi hunting later. You should see what the Germans are offering to put a foot up the Gesellschaft's collective ass. And if we happen to come back with a few blood spatters on our costumes." She shrugged. "That just means more options, right?"

"Victoria, I think you're enjoying this too much."

"Sorry, sis." The blonde stepped back a little. I was both relieved and disappointed.

Chevalier waited a moment then continued. "We have a series of parahumans to offer. A teleporter known as Strider, with the ability to teleport anyone in his line of sight with him to anywhere else on the planet. No restrictions or errors. This includes teleporting to people he only knows from a photograph. Five parahumans with powers that let them store and release energy later. Assault, Battery, Stormfront, Dazzler and Falling Star. All are powerful parahumans in their own right and we're hoping their energy powers will extend to allowing you to enhance your other powers."

He took a breath, then continued. "We also have a parahuman known as White Hat, who can summon ghostly duplicates of himself with copies of his costume and simple equipment. It's a long shot, but perhaps those duplicates could use other powers you're harnessing at the same time. Again, on the contingency that you are always to show up for every Class S threat registered."

Victoria leaned in close. "I'll be there, too. We can both use my power. It'll be like we're twins."

I gulped and nodded hurriedly. I even trusted myself not to regret the decision after I was back to my right mind. The ability to put myself, my team, and my country in position as one of the leading forces on the planet. It was something I'd dreamed of for decades. "I can agree to that.

Khepri spoke up. "So it's clear, we will have kill switches and failsafes. If we need to, we can take that armor away, and all the power it gives you. I say that out of honesty, and because of the next part of this. Vicky, it's time."

She stepped toward me again. "Well, I promised if you were good I'd give you a taste."

"I- in front of everyone? Your sister?" My stomach clenched in delighted anticipation. The part of of me that was sated enough to think clearly wept in disgust.

She shrugged. "I don't see why not." She held her right hand up, then traced her left hand across her arm, cutting open her wrist with her nail, then laughed loudly. "Oh, come on, how could any of you actually expect I was gonna do the other thing?" She held out her hand. "You said it works with any fluid, right?"

Another time, another place, a different state of mind, things might have played out differently. But I'd been teased and stimulated and given just enough to not lose my mind for the whole conversation. I gripped her hand and her arm, and latched my mouth on the wound she made on herself, sucking greedily.

Her powers snapped into my mind. Incredible combat senses, the best I'd ever had. Analysis of biology and weaknesses, touch range electrical powers. A shapeshifting power that granted super strength, self healing, and a breaker state. None of which I could harness, which was fine. I had my own regeneration and strength, this just meant using her power wouldn't count as being used at 'full strength', so I could get more time from it.

The font of power stopped, as she regenerated the injury. "Okay, I think that's enough. Now you need to focus on using my power. Scan the biology of those around here. It should be instinctual for you to tell if they're telling the truth or lying. If not, well, that's what Uber's power is for."

I breathed, shuddering at the after effects of absorbing her power. Never before have I been given so much, so soon, and it left me exhausted. I looked out at the others in the group, analyzing their health and physical condition. Now I knew Dragon wasn't real. Another I had to assume was a cyborg in his suit, less than half organic. The gaps and cybernetics built into the various armor suits were clear to my vision.

Khepri took a breath. "For all the powers we're giving you access to, there's the ones we're not. Or, at least, not yet. Powers such as Glaistig Uaine, Atropos."

I hope no one realizes I have that one already. The surge in reaction from Victoria made it clear that she figured it out. Fuck. "I don't mean to interupt, but I already have some of her power. Not a lot. But enough for a few good attacks."

There was a surge of concern and anger, backed from my natural Thinker power, Victoria's, and the attention to detail Thinker. Khepri quickly ignored it. "Thank you for being honest with us. The point remains, there are better powers, we can make you stronger. And one day, we're going to have to. At a point starting in less than a year, there is a chance for a legitimate world ending crisis. That chance slowly increases over time until, in less than fourteen years, it will have inevitably occured. We know what it is. The more people find out what the threat is, the greater the odds of it happening early, the more lives are lost, so we must keep you in suspense."

Every word she's saying is true. Not a single person here doesn't already know what it is, except for the ones protecting Labyrinth, and even they know of it already. Missing only the detail of what it is.

Khepri kept speaking, and I only kept track thanks to the perfect memory Thinker power in my collection. "It doesn't just extend to Bet and the other worlds we're colonizing. It covers every version of Earth in every reality. We're trusting you with a lot of responsibility. You're one of the few real hopes we have of saving every world. We need you."

===============

A/N- And THAT is how you minmax power pools. Also- this chapter is almost 3k words. Fuck. Don't expect a second today.

23. Argentorum

Argentorum Free Cat

I see Pantheon Minmaxing everyone else, and I know that they've already buffed themselves a lot in the early game. But it really feels like they're lagging behind on their stats now that we're moving into the late game. If they don't step up their grinding they might not even be able to put out enough dps to matter during the boss fight.

Edit: You mentioned Uber's power, so I started thinking about games.

24. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I wonder if Lily will get yelled at, or just get an 'I'm so disappointed' lecture.

Maybe both.

On another note, I will be amused if Akaihana (Red Flower? Bloody Flower?) is not the woman Lily and Sabah were both flirting with that caused them to break up, but is just someone Lily made out with after.

eNBious, Nexidava, Faraway-R and 8 others like this.
  25. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

They're advancing themselves just as much, it's just not as noticeable because they're already so far up there.

To use a loose analogy, and this isn't advertising a power levels debate it's just an example, going up by 1,000 points is pretty big when you only had 1,500 to begin with, but when you're at 50,000 it's only a little bit even though the boost size remains the same.

Alternately, nobody would really notice that the Death Star can now fire Suncrusher Torpedoes after it was revealed that it was upgraded with a cloaking device, intangibility drive, rapid fire capabilities, and cross-dimensional targeting systems.

26. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

I think this analogy means that Scion gets a lightsaber.

27. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

You know, I like that twist to that stupid theory. I get a lightsaber and the badguy gets a death star? Fuck that, I'll take the damn superweapon and he can have the laser sword! I never wanted a humming laser sword anyway....*sniffle*

28. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

It's too bad Clotho's wasn't strong enough to come up in conversation so she could drop that bomb, too.

Well, at least now they have Akaihana for that. Grinding for power is her specialty.

29. tordg

tordg (Unverified Idiot)

Ash Beast explicitly wasn't a Class S threat in canon. Given a good Mover power he certainly would be, but as is he's just not a world scale threat in any meaningful time frame.

... This brings to mind that Sleeper and the Blasphemies are the only non-heroically aligned Class S threats left. That we know about, at least. Underestimated capes like Phir Se may exist as well. And new triggers are a thing.

30. The Shadowmind

The Shadowmind Well worn.

You did have the advantage of making OCs.

Can Shunt Bugs be made that contain samples of needed fluids, then calibrated to be teleported over? To allow hot swapping if needed.