1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

No idea what this means.
    what may

So my two cents on what kicked Scion off: Edward Norton died, still in obscurity as pan-dimensional organizations tried to figure out how to stop Scion from starting the Apocalypse.

Coruscant Knave, TanaNari and cosoco like this.
  2. dasstan

dasstan :)

You have a Seed AI that has a power that lets it understand tinker tech. With your power tinker OC, you have a tinker that works on powers. With Colin, you have a canonical tinker that was able to build tech that mimics powers after sufficiently studying another parahuman. At some point, that Seed AI will be able to upgrade its own bog standard technology using that whole... recursive self improvement thing that makes it a Seed AI into something that exceeds the abilities of the shards themselves.

I'll grant that within the timeframe of the story, Dragon wouldn't be able to improve herself enough to be a threat to Scion, but left alone, a Seed AI, especially a Seed AI with the leg up that Dragon has, could and would become a threat to an Entity. And to all the Entities if given even more time... Especially given that she already has access to a technology that solves any energy crisis that the Entities would run into.

3. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

Hmm. But they're not, presumably?

Also, newlines.
    As I understand it, Entities evolved from normal, three dimensional creatures. So the idea that a Seed AI could threaten them doesn't seem unreasonable. If nothing else it could spam copies of itself until they can disrupt the Cycle on every planet the Entities are active on.
    Doesn't she still look like a child?

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    Divabot, Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  4. ReoRak

ReoRak Probably alive.

There's no way in hell that Eidolon doesn't have a power that could "alleviate" such a problem.

Or if not, he could lie back and think of England.

5. fishbait08

fishbait08 I trust you know where the happy button is?

So no honeymoon or other light-hearted transitional chapter. :(

Instead, we jump back into the story with things about to hit the fan, as Scion's about to flip his shit early and the multiverse stands on the brink or Armageddon.

Good luck Amelia, Taylor, & everyone else (you're going to need it.) Hope that when it's over, you're still there when the smoke clears.

:eek:

Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  6. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

He is the High Priest, after all.

*badum-tish*

7. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

She's been shown to have aged herself up at least once already.

Same one from canon?

Divabot, TanaNari, AliasBot and 2 others like this.
  8. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I do not recall this.

What? Four chapters of wedding fluff (that were a pain in the dicknozzle to plan, thank you very much) INCLUDING the honeymoon wasn't enough for you?

Divabot and Coruscant Knave like this.
  9. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

They want to run through a couple more times before you knock down this house of cards.

10. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

11. dasstan

pepperjack and doomlord9 like this.
  12. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

It really depends on the timeframe. Given enough time, there is no reason to think that an unchained Seed AI couldn't accomplish everything the Entities have done and then some, especially with all of the advantages Dragon has as demonstrated below.

Just so. I doubt Dragon has had enough time to upgrade enough to solo things, but she can make a huge difference.

All this discussion really makes me want to do an Exsurgent!Dragon story...:p

Divabot, dasstan and TanaNari like this.
  13. dasstan

Do it.

The only problem with that kind of problem is that after a certain point, most issues become trivial. You could either focus on the very beginning, where infrastructure is only just getting put in place, or focus on problems so big as to alienate the human point of view.

Although a Dragon vs Entities via a proxy war could be cool. You'd need a contrived reason why there are proxies, though, since anything a proxy could do, a copy of Dragon could do, better.

Divabot likes this.
  14. Empiricist

Empiricist GSV

Maybe primacy isn't removable without removing her ability to understand tinker tech and power interactions she hasn't yet deduced back down to first principles. That and the fact that most tinker tech uses bullshit higher dimensional/quantum effects that dragon hasn't and won't figure out until she generates a unified field theory forces her to send elements that won't be thwarted by primacy (i.e. damaged Eden shards and humans) against Scion

15. dasstan

As far as I know, the idea of primacy is something that is introduced in this fic, and is only valid to anything based off Amelia. I assumed that MGS was talking about doing an unrelated fic...

Even in an Amelia based fic, unshackling Dragon earlier in the narrative, after she's gotten access to interdimensional tech still gives her anywhere from two to ten years to ramp up. I think a Seed AI with tinkertech understanding would be more than capable of working down to first principles and then working back up to Shard Crushing levels. The only way to make it a fair fight is to assume that the unshackling happened relatively close to the wedding, and write the divergent fic from there. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in that story, because it'd be functionally identical to Amelia in a lot of ways.

16. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Dragon was unshackled well before the wedding.

Divabot likes this.
  17. dasstan

So she's had a year of recursive self improvement with the access to the resources of countless uninhabited Earths and running multiple copies of herself, each capable of analyzing tinker tech at god only knows how many times faster than human thought, and she's not a viable threat to Scion unto herself?

18. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

Goddamn, lots of shit in this update. I shall ignore most of it except to d'awww at Libecca and Glaidolon!

This sort of implies she deliberately tried to drive them to suicide. Taken as just failing them, we've got Taylor's Butchering, Taylor getting EB'd, and having to ditch Pantheon? Or maybe one of those is her pre-pantheon failure to keep her out of villainy instead of using her?

Divabot and Snake/Eater like this.
  19. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Self recursive isn't exponential improvement. It's linear and it has a plateau. She's still beholden to the laws of physics. Or, at least, more beholden to them than Entities are.

And Entities are functionally ALREADY self recursive AI that have had countless cycles to improve themselves. They're not creative, but that doesn't mean they're not proactive. And if they thought AI tech was useful for improving themselves, they'd have used it when they got it. So either they started better than an AI can be. Or they upgraded themselves to the best an AI can be in a previous cycle.

Either way, no. Not without a complete supply of Entity!Knowledge in its uncensored form. With that, then maybe.

20. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

This sounds like a dinosaur with glaives tied to its head. I approve whole-heartedly.

Faraway-R, tordg, jaelin910 and 7 others like this.
  21. dasstan

Disagree, but it's your fic and I'm not about to argue the premise with the author, especially not so close to the endgame.

Empiricist and GiftofLove like this.
  22. Leonidas333

Leonidas333 Well-Known Murderhobo

Also, everyone remember that it was WOG'ed that Dragon could not be a threat to Scion due to Eden messing with the shard that makes ai.

23. Masked Menace

Masked Menace Making the rounds.

Sorry but this just isn't happening. Entities are bullshit OP. Essentially Scion at even a fraction of his full power can do a very good impression of God. Clairvoyant exists so it seems reasonable to assume that Scion has a similar ability. So Scion is omniscient and can attack across dimensions and ranges that make everything trivial. Essentially if Scion actually wanted to win he could simply use his clairvoyant ability to see everything a thinker ability like Number mans to choose his targets and then obliterate everyone that is fighting him instantly. I want to believe that heroes can beat their foe properly in a glorious battle but this is a situation where it just isn't an option. Scion is not an enemy that can be overcome with force.

Divabot likes this.
  24. ReoRak

ReoRak Probably alive.

I have to admit to spending the last half an hour trying to come up with characters from other series who could manage to fight Scion. Zelretch from Type-Moon and Simon from Gurren Lagann are the only ones I'd say could do it, and even that's only because they'd be able to pursue him through alternate dimensions.

25. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Simon from Gurren Lagann wouldn't even need to fight them. They'd just show up and offer to be nice for access to infinite goddamn energy.

[ASSIST]
    [EVOLVE]
    [SOLUTION]
    [WORSHIP]

26. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

I was talking about writing a story where Dragon gets unchained, maybe even fairly early on, starts exponentially expanding her capabilities in a hard takeoff singularity and encounters the Exsurgent Virus from Eclipse Phase.

Then everybody loses. :D

So... Not a Seed AI the way I thought she was then. Fair enough.

These people don't deserve to become The Culture anyway.:p

cosoco, dasstan and TanaNari like this.
  27. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 406- Ciara
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 406- Ciara

The Negotiator sighed. To my eyes, her faerie was agitated, terrified. The conflict between its host fear of impending death, and its own fear of open rebellion. "If what you say about Primacy is true, then there is no other way. You have to talk to Scion, convince him he no longer wants to continue the cycle. We both know it's broken, the queen is dead. Letting us all die alongside her is just a waste. Convince him to, I dunno, that he'd be better off watching our faeries dance forever."

"The fairies cannot dance forever. They will tire. They must rest, and that's when the next part of the cycle begins." Foolish child. Hers was a young faerie, possibly born as recently as the fires of the last dance. Youthful, clever, eager to prove itself. Maybe one day it would be worthy of loftier stations. But for now, it was a mere peasant.

"And the next part of the cycle is when they all fuck each other silly, blow up the planet, and send their babies out into the stars."

"The faeries are born fully formed, knowing the wisdom of their predecessors. Much like your own former namesake, sprung fully formed from her father's head."

The Negotiator shook her head. "Like viruses, ready to spread out and consume heedless of the destruction they bring. Rapacious and ultimately meaningless horrors. There is no truth or beauty in their acts."

I stood, my hand extending. I was halted by David's hand on my shoulder. "Ciara, please. Hear her out."

I hesitated, looking at him, then back to her. She was, in many regards the opposite of the Serpent. One dealt in poisoned gifts, honeyed words, and the seductive lure of clear truths that are not truths. Negotiator lived in a world of ugly lies and deceptions built of even uglier truths. "Very well, David, but only because you asked."

The Negotiator took that as permission. "I know the visions you've taken from the mass triggers... the faerie circles. You see them like Amelia- the Shaper- sees them. You see them like I see them. They're not faeries dancing. Dances are fun. The Entities don't dance. There's no joy to their movements. They run on instinct, like a bunch of gnats spiraling around a street light. When they mate, it's not love. It's not even lust! There's no pleasure, there's nothing in there at all. It's merely what they have always done, and will always continue doing."

I had a number of ways to kill her. Some, the Serpent whispered to me, that none in this room would blame me for or even suspect me of. But David might ask, and I would not lie to him. She got to live. "He is the King. I will not go against him."

"Not even for us?" David asked. "You know we go into this battle even without your help. You have a better chance than any of us to end this without bloodshed. It serves his interests, too, right? To go into hibernation or whatever it is that he'll do to conserve strength. You've said he can't... complete the cycle without another of his kind. He should rest until one comes to help him."

I nodded. That seemed more reasonable.

"Won't work." Damn Negotiator. "Dinah considers that scenario a write-off. The deaths still happen if we try that."

"Nevertheless, I will not seek to convince the True King to destroy himself." I stood and walked away from the table. "Asking him to dream and wait for the future, I shall do. Do not press further on this, Negotiator."

"Fuck. Okay, Avalon still needs two days to prepare. I'll... draw up a plan for convincing him."

David rushed after me as I walked out. "Ciara!"

"Should you not be planning?" I didn't complain as he wrapped his arms around me, however.

"There's no need, not for me at this point." He held me, and around him the shimmer of his faerie held me as well. "I'm no good at leadership, and we've confirmed what few Thinker powers I can call on don't work on Scion. My function is mainly to command the Endbringers to attack, and follow it up in person." He kissed my ear. "Thank you for everything you've done."

"There is no reason for you to thank me." I choose to do nothing at the moment it matters most.

"There's every reason to thank you." He turned my head and this time his lips met my own. Moments later, we were home, and events went where nature dictated. I could not get The Negotiator's words out of my head. The Faeries carried no joy in their hearts, nor in acts as simple as making love. Their dance was hollow, devoid of emotion or passion. If my distraction meant I was a less than generous lover this time, then David was kind enough to make no mention of it.

"I've been thinking. Let's get married."

What? "Pardon?"

"I know that, years ago now, I said that I lived the hero lifestyle, that I accepted I would sacrifice the civilian life for that. I didn't care about fame then or now, only about the goal of saving the world. But I've discovered that I can't live like that. The world isn't enough. I need something better to fight for. I need us, together, for however long we have left. Before we face Scion. It won't be much of a ceremony, I'm sorry. But we can have a real ceremony after. Settle down, start a family. Leave the cape behind for good."

Yes.Yes!YES!!! "Very well, I accept your proposal." I turned and kissed him softly. Whatever I may have been lacking in my last performance, I resolved to more than make up for with this one.

Finding Scion was easy enough. With the use of Pathmaker and the Observer, I stepped through to one of the worlds that had been so lovingly crafted by the Queen Administrator, the Royal Artisan and the Grand Archivist. Their power crackled through the air and the earth, a dance that was vibrant and alive, both joyous in their passions and fearful of the war that might come. The faeries aren't alive; the girls that command them bring the warmth and life. And, I could see in this pair, that they were the ones to command their faeries, not the other way around. How mere humans managed to subjugate two of the royal court, I could not imagine.

David pressed his helmet against mine. "I have to go, Ciara. I'll need to be near the Endbringers. Just in case if we need them. Remember to use the randomized shunt device if there's any chance of you being harmed. Clairvoyant and Doormaker can find you wherever you go." As can the True King. But he is with limits in his current form, he will have to switch abilities in order to track me. Which he could do with ease, but so could some of the Abominations that my new husband commanded. He would be here for me, as best he could, but I did this alone.

"I yearn for when we next meet, my husband." I stepped back, and allowed him to do the same.

"Doormaker, the Endbringer Containment Facility." With one last glance, he was gone.

The Queen Administrator spoke. "We're ready when you are, Glaistig Uaine."

"The Serpent, the Charioteer, the Royal Assassin." My three servants appeared before me. Two to whisper in my ear, one to be my sword and shield. The Charioteer was an emaciated man, and with a mourneful gaze, he looked upon the figure of a young woman clad only in black and white stripes. A ghost summoned by a ghost. The Assassin, a tall, angular man with a too wide grin and long knives for fingers. He was needed for his secret purpose, today.

I was carried through dimensions, to be placed in front of the True King of the Faeries. The first time in a long time that I gazed upon him. I could feel the sadness radiate from him. This is not what something without feeling looks like. This is not what a God-King should look like.

I reached out, using the Assassin's voice I spoke. "My Liege."

He halted, his gaze turning toward me. There was no recognition in those eyes. No joy, only sorrow.

"I wish to speak with you. Of the cycle, of your Queen."

[CYCLE] [COUNTERPART?] I staggered and the voices I carried screamed, pressing against the power of his words. I'd gotten through. I'd gotten through enough that he spoke back, and in moments I saw more of their purpose than the twenty Faerie Circles we held before had taught me in their totality. The Negotiator is right, they are mere rapacious horrors. Bloated gluttons eating their way across worlds because they refused to consider another way. These are not gods. Quite the opposite, in fact.

"I..." I paused for a moment, allowing the Assassin and the Serpent plot amongst themselves for the words I needed. I followed their lead. "You are alone. Y-your queen has been dead since you arrived here."

[ALONE] My faeries- my Shards- screamed in pain, echoing the feelings of the mind they once belonged to I would push through. They aren't real feelings, they are constructs transmitted by constructs. Like the bond between the Royal Artisan and the Queen Administrator.

"Yes. Alone." I gasped, buying time to recover and continue the conversation. "There is no means to restore her. You will never see her again."

[NEGATIVE] [PATH] I shuddered at the force, my protections and my will overwhelmed by the crushing weight of his mind. I fell from the sky.

===============

A/N- Sometimes, it does hurt to talk things out.

28. Leonidas333

Leonidas333 Well-Known Murderhobo

I had never thought that Scion might find a way to remake her, and even worse, use the PtV to do so. That is probably the worst possible outcome. Not only will any dialogue not work, but that means they can't bully him to death either. This may actually be the battle for the ages.
    So Glassaig may be dead, which means Eidolon is gonna go nuclear. Now is the time for all horrific shard based weaponry to come to the aid of their hosts.

Buggy123, Nexidava, Twei and 8 others like this.
  29. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

Hold up.
    Yup. Checks out.

Yay, Glaidolon WAFF.

I guess there's some kind of big thing going on, too?

30. Empiricist

Empiricist GSV

Exsurgant virus vs. Dragon with no Prometheans? Yes everybody looses, well except for the Xenos driving the Fermi paradox, they won.

Edit to prevent double posting.
    Oh Shit.