1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ichypa

Ichypa I trust you know where the happy button is?

You're doing a good enough job that I forget that Amelia and Taylor are supposed to be the main characters sometimes. If it hasn't happened already, the story is probably nearing a point were there are as many chapters that aren't from Amelia's PoV as those that are.

2. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

sometimes,i wish you could describe locations like outdoors or inside of each setting.because thats what i feeling is missing in some parts in your story,like if its cold or hot if the room is dark...

3. Grell23

Grell23 Making the rounds.

Heck the thought this was a way to deniably eliminate Vicky occurred to me before the rest of the team roster was discussed.

And Vicky; yes we live in a world of science and superstition is bad.

However if you insist on taunting Murphy to the point you are on a regular basis it's time
    for Riley to dissolve your vocal cords OK?

(I Kid. Well about the dissolving at least, still not sure about Lisa's move here.)

G23

4. Izicata

Izicata AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME

Someone better get her out of there.

5. Snake/Eater

she's just mentally ill...with a spoiled upbringing and with shard induced recklessness.

6. Izicata

Do you think getting in over her head was part of her plan?

7. fireball900

fireball900 World Conqueror (not Overlord)

You mean as in "Dinah, what are the chances this reduces Vicky's 'solve everything with fists' problem?" ?

Prince Charon likes this.
  8. Izicata

I mean her plan to crash this Planetheon with no survivors.

The Shipping Rises.

9. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

ia, ia, OTP'igan?

10. Helpless Kitten

Helpless Kitten A dumb asexual cat

With strange tech, even the dead May be shipped!

11. Grell23

Grell23 Making the rounds.

That's so F'd up even Lovecraft would be saying "where the hell did you get my notes?"
    Have an elder sign (like).

12. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Well yeah, we have 2 of em thus far. Not sure if it counts that Taylor was already paired up beforehand though.

All we need is for Taylor/Amelia to remember Lisa flirting with herself and ponder asking Riley to decant Lisa2 so that Lisa1 can be with her One Twu Wuv while Lisa is around to intuit the idea.

13. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I begin to suspect some of my readers either have some neurosis about name calling, or have never had friends. Possibly both.

I'd make a comment relating to the most recent chapter, but I'm not sure whether or not Sting can cut through the fourth wall.

Personally, I hate writers who do shit like that. It's like they feel the need to pad their story with useless details to disguise a lack of actual story development. I set the stage well enough, with things like saying what room they're in...

But actual describing the environment in great detail should only happen in a story when the characters are taking specific notice of that environment. See the Carol interlude where she visits the magic tree fort. There, the environment is important. It sets the stage of someone experiencing a legitimately alien world. Any other time, it's just tedious.

Possible ship names:
    'Now I need twice as many batteries'
    'So that's why other people keep trying to stab me in the face'
    And my personal favorite: 'umm... this that's a new spin on murder/suicide...'

14. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Suicest.

Taylor: "No, Lisa, no! You're doing it wrong! It's only supposed to result in a little death, not a whole big one!"

15. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

I THINK that was just Lisa fucking with Coil's head.

daimahou, doomlord9 and TanaNari like this.
  16. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

And this matters for it being used as teasing fodder how? They already get on her case about the whole 'soul communion through the eyes' thing she does with Alexandria, who better to do that with than herself since they watched her flirt with herself already?

It's like getting drunk and passing out among friends, it's just a bad idea all around to give them the opportunity.

Now actually following through with the plan....now we have 2 Lisa's trying to prove that they are the smartest one in the room. A truly epic catfight in the making yes, but not the best plan for keeping their info-processor in good condition and in a good mood.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  17. Nigel Burnelli Isaacs

Nigel Burnelli Isaacs Not too sore, are you?

Nice update, I love to have a Lily PoV. The reasoning behind sending Riley and Victoria to Indianapolis and having the latter being in charge is sound especially given that they both needed something like that to feel that they are valued, plus their powers are rather useful to the siuation(well Clarice's and Victoria) and so is Lily, now I hope they make a copy before leaving, because this could very well be a nasty trap.

TanaNari likes this.
  18. Sheaman3773

Sheaman3773 (Unverified Writer)

I'm not one of those that keeps going on about sparing poor Tattletale, but 1) I have had plenty of friendships without faux-insults flying everywhere, just as I have had friendships with that element, and 2) you don't include tone a lot of times. If you don't include tone, then it's generally assumed that the tone matches the comment. That's without even mentioning that Amelia and Lisa have had a lot of bad blood between them.

You are inside your characters heads. Your readers aren't. If you aren't clear, especially when you have something that has so many story elements pointing in opposing directions, there will be confusion.

19. Snake/Eater

it can't hurt to pad your story just a little.maybe it will grow on you like Yggdrasil and it's unspeakable cat tung showers...

daimahou likes this.
  20. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

shhhhh! don't ruin it.

21. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 203- Riley
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 203- Riley

Missy opened up the path for us, and led us through. While she didn't need to, it was easier for the others to follow the path if they were led. Maybe Victoria could have figured it out, thanks to the power she got from my Passenger, but it was easier to be led. Clarice followed me, of course.

Our world was finally comfortable to breathe without special help, now. Still a very warm environment, especially compared to the mid fall weather on the other side. That allowed Missy and Theo to say their goodbyes with their faces exposed.

"I'll miss you," Missy told Theo, giving him a quick hug.

"I'll miss you, too," he kissed her forehead. "With any luck, we'll only take a few hours."

"I can still miss you that long," she replied.

They're so cute together. I focused on what Emma told me, about being happy that they were happy. Missy and Theo were my friends, and I would be happy for them. Vicky stepped up near me and put her hand on my head, rubbing my hair. It was nice.

"You know," there wasn't room for doubt.

"Won't breathe a word of it," she answered, then she switched to the private com system. "I take it no one else does?"

"Emma," I informed her, following suit and going over to com. "Lisa, probably, but if she does then she's keeping it to herself."

"Probably doesn't," Vicky told me. "I know more about the flaws in Lisa's powers than she does. Her ability's pretty brute force. Like a battle axe. Lots of power for smashing through obstacles, in exchange for giving up a lot of efficiency and accuracy. Mine's more like a scimitar. I can't get as deep, but mine's faster and more effective at handling the things it can handle."

"How do you know about weapons like that?" I asked.

"Emma asked Zach and I to do her a favor and help her name Chevalier's new weapon," she shrugged. "Besides, with my powers it can't hurt to find a few ideas for weapons to use. Besides, you'd be amazed at how boring things can get with the lack of sleeping."

"I thought you liked Zach," I asked. "Why?"

She understood my meaning. "Hard to explain. Probably the same reasons you have. They're good together, and it just doesn't feel right to get in the way of that."

I smiled and looked at her. "You know, Emma said something a lot like that when she thought you and Zach were together."

She blinked "Really? I guess that means I made the right choice." She wrapped her arm around me. "For what it's worth, I think you did, too. I'm glad Amy decided to adopt you."

"You mean that?" I asked. I didn't need to, my own skills and info coming off Clarice confirmed she was telling the truth. She could hide from my tech, perhaps fool it, but not all of it at once, and not without me at least knowing she was trying to beat that tech.

"Yup," she gave a light squeeze. "Ever since Amy spontaneously grew up into a badass overlady, I've been missing a cute little sister to take on shopping trips and give advice about boys and life. Guess who just got drafted?"

"So, what's the plan, anyway?" Lily interrupted. "We should probably know how we're handling this before we go in." She was right, this was important. And they were trusting us with it. It wasn't because it was something only we can do, it was because Big Sis believed we could handle it.

"First, we go by the PRT and let them know what we're doing," Vicky answered, letting me go, but still staying near. It was a nice gesture. "As much fun as it would be to just solve the problem before anyone even knows we're here, that'd probably just fuck everything." I resisted the urge to tell Vicky to stop swearing. But she was older, so I'd just have to accept adults did that sort of thing, like Lisa told me.

Lily nodded. "Fair enough."

"If we're lucky, we can get permission to see the bodies and the crime scene," Vicky continued. "Between my powers and everything Clarice is capable of, that should give us everything we need. If not, well, I'll see if Lisa can talk the Chief Director into yelling at a few people."

"And if that doesn't work?"

"We go around asking all the gangs in town what they know," she concluded. "All our suits have lie detection tech, except mine. Not a lot of parahumans out there that can really threaten me or Clarice. You two play backup since your powers require a bit more concentration."

"We could use the dimensional viewing tech," I volunteered. "I can look at everything from this side and no one will even know I'm there."

"Wow," Vicky chuckled. "When the PRT calculates our ratings, do you think they even bother to use numbers anymore? Or do they just write 'good fucking luck' down next to our profiles because it's less intimidating that way?"

"Close enough," Lily laughed. "All of our profiles have six page long notations that come out to 'you can't run, you can't hide, and you can't fight back'. Half of us have our own individual trump ratings. Mine's a four for bypassing any possible defence."

"Awesome," Vicky approved, then she turned her head toward Theo and Missy. "Hey, Horus! I'd threaten to leave you behind, but I'm afraid the bosses would blame me for any unplanned pregnancies!"

My friends quickly broke their hug, and I couldn't help but giggle at how sheepish they looked. With one last glance at each other, Missy moved and vanished, taken hundreds of miles in a single footstep. Theo jogged over to us. "Sorry about that, ma'am," he apologized. "Won't happen again."

"Don't be so uptight," Vicky insisted. "I'm not mad at you. Hell, I used to do the same thing. So did Lily, here, right?"

"Yeah, kinda," she admitted.

"So, on to the Protectorate," Vicky's voice shifted to business. "Here's how we approach this..."

We manifested atop the roof of the Indianapolis HQ. Or everyone else did, at least. I sat behind in our hidden world controlling Clarice. Alerts went off as guns were drawn and pointed directly at us. A meaningless gesture from them, as Clarice was the only one in the group that could be threatened by a firearm, and it would need to be one with more power than what they were carrying.

"Relax," Vicky raised her hands. "We come in peace."

"Identify yourselves!" one of the PRT troopers demanded.

"Pantheon," Vicky answered, allowing her armor to project her voice. "I'm Victoria. I have Aceso, Horus and Atropos with me," she gestured at us as she announced our names, and I watched the combat alerts adjust as the soldiers' attentions did.

"We weren't informed of Pantheon coming here," the man insisted.

"When a serial killer starts emulating our more public victories, it counts as an open invitation," she pointed out as if it was the most obvious thought in the world. "We just wanted to keep things quiet. I'd say we didn't want the perp to know we were coming, but he no doubt already knows. It'd take a real moron to not realize we'd have to show up for this. But we'd like to keep him from knowing we're already here."

"Pantheon could have sent a warning to us," the man replied.

"Not my responsibility," she replied dismissively. "It's an unofficial meeting, anyway. Just to let you know we're here before we start the investigation. We'll be on our way, now. Please keep this visit quiet."

"Wait!" the soldier shouted. "Director Nicholas would like to have a word with you before you go. He said to let you know it wouldn't take long."

"We can spare a few minutes," Lily suggested to Vicky.

"Very well," Vicky replied. "We're happy to accept."

We were led through the halls of local PRT building. It was still an impressive building, despite not being quite on par with what I'd seen in Brocton Bay or New York. But our trip didn't last very long. For reasons that I didn't understand, all the Directors like to keep their offices way up near the top. Which was stupid, making them less safe and meaning they had to travel further to get to work, unless they came in through the helipad entrance. I resolved to ask someone about that.

Clarice analyzed Director Nicholas quickly and easily. Age 44, or near enough to it. Excellent physical condition for his age, though clearly he'd been dealing with a lot of recent stress and little overall sleep for some months. Further back than the New Delhi crisis, even. I had no way of guessing the source of that stress, as it seemed a bit too recent to be a matter of the job alone.

"I must admit, I had expected Pantheon sooner," he replied. True. But wouldn't have said so if he hadn't heard Victoria's comments from earlier. "I also expected a phone call to let us know you were here."

"Sorry," Vicky replied. Lie. "As you might imagine, Pantheon is quite busy."

"Is that why Gaea chose not to come?" he asked.

"Gaea and Khepri felt their particular method would be a bit... heavy handed," she answered. "We only need to track down the guilty party. There's no need to startle the whole city over the actions of one or two dumb asses."

"No, I suppose not," the man responded. He had an admirable poker face, but Clarice knew he was disappointed. So did Victoria, I was certain. He was also more than a little annoyed with Vicky.

"Mind if we examine the bodies, sir?" Theo asked. He was fully sealed in his armor, which made his voice echo significantly, distorted into something deep and hollow. Coupled with his natural height and bulk, it was unlikely anyone would guess him still a teenager.

"I can arrange that," he agreed. "I'll let the coroner know to expect you, though it will likely be an hour before they're ready for you. We could have arranged it sooner, if we'd known you were coming." Untrue, Clarice told me. It wouldn't take long at all, he was just choosing to delay us. His disguised resentment of Victoria probably played a part of that. But, then, that was the plan from the beginning.

"We understand," Vicky replied. "Would you mind giving us a guide? We need to arrange for accommodations while we're here, and it would be nice to be brought up to speed on the local cape environment while we handle that."

"You expect to be here long?" he asked.

"As long as it takes to find the killer or killers," Vicky replied. "We can't just run around kicking down the doors of every two bit crook and torturing them for information, after all. That's not how we do things."

"I'll arrange something," he agreed.

============

A/N- And Riley's new chapter.

22. Dreadis

Dreadis No idea whats going on

Suspicious PRT Director or PRT Director annoyed at the new players in the game?

23. selonianth

selonianth Writer of Words

Hehehehehehehe. Somehow I get the feeling this was some idiots idea of how to draw them there to eliminate the gangs and such there.

24. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Yay Riley getting accepted by Victoria!

Other than that specific bit, though, I feel like this chapter -- and a lot of these new non-Amelia chapters -- could be written in the 3rd person with little to no loss of information content. Like, the 2nd half of this snip was basically Riley watching other people talk about things that didn't personally impact her much.

Snake/Eater and dasstan like this.
  25. Zarohk

Zarohk Worldbuilder, Idea Collector

Recognizing that as an option is itself a sign of a pretty good writer. Pulling it off even half-decently is the sign of a very skilled writer. Doing as good a job as you have done, with making everyone both the hero of their own story and a viewpoint character on the "main" characters, is a sign that you've done an amazing job as a writer. Having just gone back and read the author's note at the beginning, that itself is pretty impressive.

26. Nigel Burnelli Isaacs

Nigel Burnelli Isaacs Not too sore, are you?

Well good to see Victoria accepted Riley, this is actually good for the girl. it was also nice to get a bit more about Victoria and Zach as well as Riley telling Victoria how Emma reacted when she thought Zach was dating her. Now the local PRT and it's director are highly Suspicious IMHO, they are either on whatever happened or they know about it and cover it for some reason, like say a public stunt of stopping the pantheon copycat killer thelmselves and making the aforementioned independant team looking bad for not having been able to do it and make themselves look good, that would be ne way to explain the Director's disapointment as he would have liked to one up the leaders themselves, or if he is in on whatever happened because the people who made this wanted to get the Pantheon leaders.

TanaNari likes this.
  27. dasstan

dasstan :)

This is the kind of thing that gives the readers the wrong idea about Vicky's powers. I get that it's being said from the POV of one of the characters, but I think the problem is that some people aren't looking deeper into the situations where Vicky's ability is in use. I'm pretty sure she was only able to pick up on the Riley-Theo-Missy situation as quickly as she did because the emotional avenue would be a valid means of attacking Riley, thus it falls under the purview of Vicky's powers.
    Stop giving Riley ideas.
    Huh. Something about that ending feels unfinished.

28. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

I'm surprised that Riley doesn't get that a very common status symbol is being above everyone else.
    This does seem to lend credence to the "The local PRT is about to do something stupid" theory. If the boss hasn't been at his best, mentally speaking, for a few months, that leaves a lot of time for something really stupid to get approved.

Edited to improve comprehension.

29. dasstan

dasstan :)

Are we talking regional stupidity, or national stupidity? I can buy the former, but not the latter. Not with the close, professional relationship Pantheon has with the Chief-Director.

30. Student of Zelretch

Student of Zelretch Put the ice back on my lake. Moderator

Indeed, Chief Director Alexandria *probably* wants to piss them off almost as much as she wanted Jackie boy to have a heart-to-heart with Scion...

TanaNari likes this.