1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 221
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 221

"Surprise!" Riley shouted as I followed Vicky into the main area.

"Hey, Mushroom," Zach stage whispered. "It's not a surprise party."

"So what?" she asked. "It's fun."

"Well, can't argue with that logic," he agreed. "So, what's first? Cake, icecream or presents. Just remember to unwrap Taylor last." AmusementAnnoyance.

"Don't you mea..." I stopped for a second. "No, of course you don't." Of course, it did invoke a thought or two. PleasedProud.

"Oww!" Zach exclaimed, looking over at Riley, who had given him a good jab in the sides. She really dug into his rib with that one.

"No, we gotta talk serious for a minute," I insisted. "I've just found out I suck at considering other peoples' feelings. Like really, really bad."

"To be fair, most of us do," Vicky responded. "We're allowed to. It's called being a teenager. Pretty much on the front page of the user manual. I can see feelings and I still suck at it most of the time. You can ask anyone."

"Yeah, took us two hours to get her to understand that some of us actually have to work to keep our figures, and that means we have to eat something other than pizza once in a while."

"You mean there are things other than pizza that you can eat?" Zach cut in. "What is this strange idea that you speak of?"

"He acts like he's joking, but he's really quite serious," Emma added. "Takes him half an hour to figure out how to make a sandwhich. Which isn't half as long as I'll make him suffer if he makes the obvious joke." She growled the last few word at him.

"Yes, mistress," he fake whimpered. "Please don't hurt me again."

"All joking aside," I insisted. "I mean it. We kinda get caught up in the, well, everything. No need to go over all the shit we have to worry about. I'm trying not to murder the party completely. So, yeah, I was saying. We get distracted by all the huge shit and start to ignore some stuff. Like how sometimes we have to do things that upset some of you. And that's the kind of thing we can't afford to ignore. You're important. Not just because of your powers, but because you're my friends. Except maybe you, Lisa. Depends on how much shit you'll give me for saying that. And Rey... maybe I should worry about him some more, too?"

"Don't worry on either account," Lisa replied. "It's your birthday, you're entitled to exactly one soppy speech without me using it against you. But only one, everything else will be used against you. As for Rey, I don't think you have to worry. Except maybe that he's having way too much fun at his job, especially with the new Endbringer tissue. I'm more than half expecting to walk in on him hugging the samples and telling them how much daddy loves them."

AmusementConcern. "I'll... umm... try to keep a better eye on him," Taylor offered.

"Don't worry about it," Trevor replied. "I think he's finally discovered his real specialty."

"His specialty is Endbringers?" Zach exclaimed.

"More like artificial life," he responded. "Yeah, I know, not news. But they confirm his skills aren't just for things that we know of a life. He can work with inorganic things like Endbringer tissue. And probably a number of other things. Doesn't get much more alien than Endbringer. Maybe some of the weirder Case 53s."

"Okay, so that's him out of the way," I agreed. "Let's get to everyone else. I'm sorry things went so badly in Chongqing."

"Not your fault," Crystal insisted. "There's no good way to handle that shit. We should just be glad Scion wiped Behemoth before it could go on a complete rampage. At least now we know more about how they think, and what we have to do to kill them. Like making damn sure we do it on the first hit."

"Thanks," I smiled. "I just want you to know that, as completely dense as I can be, it's not because I don't care. I'm just busy and... fuck, how is it that my life was less complicated when we were planning to overthrow the PRT? There's just so much to worry about now. I just want you to know that if you have any problems, you're free to bring them up with me any time."

"You heard it here first, folks," Zach announced. "Amelia just gave us all permission to walk in and have a chat with her when she and Taylor are in mid c- Oww god dammt!" Emma and Riley jabbed his ribs, and Vicky zapped him in the face. "I was going to say cuddle time!"

"Holy shit, he's telling the truth," Vicky informed us.

"See, told you!" he insisted.

"But only because you figured someone would interrupt him so you could say that," she added, doing her best 'mom' impersonation.

"That? You can really tell that?" Zach asked, and Vicky simply nodded. "Okay, that's it, your power is completely unfairly bullshit."

"Says the guy who even my power can't figure out how to kill," she muttered. "So, is all the heavy shit done? Can we get to the gifts? Or the cake. Or how about gifts made out of cake? One of you can tinker that up, right?"

"Okay, Vicky, what's your gift?"

"Crystal and I got this one together," she announced.

"We may have let Eric help," Crystal added. "Someone needed to carry the bags."

"It's not like I know what you like," he shrugged. "And they seemed to know what they were doing."

"We got you your entire winter wardrobe update!" Vicky announced. "The miracles of weird ass thinker powers, I can just envision you in each outfit so you don't even need to be there, they'll all fit perfectly and look awesome."

"She did the fitting, I did the awesome," Crystal added. "When you pulled her out of stasis, you left her fashion sense behind."

"Don't look at me," Eric replied. "I have less than zero fashion sense. I'm still wearing the same clothes I did in highschool."

"Okay, where are they?" I sighed. Damn Vicky and her damn shopping.

"Your closet," she informed me. "We knew you would just keep using your old clothes, so we replaced everything for you. Now you have no choice but to look good. So give up and deal with it."

"Thanks," I replied dryly.

"Emma and I got you one together," Riley smiled, holding out a box. I opened it, and a large parakeet with a gorgeous green coloration hopped out onto my hand. It didn't seem upset to have been in a box. "It' a songbird," Riley informed us. "It's designed to be the perfect singer."

"It's Yggdrasil based, of course," Emma informed. "About a terrabyte worth of memory storage for plenty of storage space, and it has hundreds of songbird types it can sing, either in imitation of actual birdcalls, or simply singing along to whatever music it's playing."

Meanwhile the construct had hopped its way up my arm, and was nuzzling my ear. I reached up and rubbed its back, which it seemed to enjoy.

"Also, it's pretty much made of adorable," Emma finished up.

"Me next," Zach declared, holding up box that could have held clothes. He handed it over and I nearly dropped it for the weight. I peeled off wrapping paper of some cartoon character I didn't recognize, and looked at the contents.

"Massage oils?" I asked.

"Hey, those are the high quality kind," he replied.

"Okay, this was actually surprisingly thoughtful," I admitted.

"There's another box in there, too," he added. "Edible massage oils. Y'know, just in case." I simply handed the box over to Taylor. AmusedIndignation. "Okay, you got me," I admitted. "I didn't see that coming."

Theo gave me a remarkably well sculpted model of a tree. He is getting really good with his powers, I noted.

Missy's was next. "It's a collection of extra music for your songbird. And instructions on how to use it since tinkers don't know what user documentation is." The bird chirped happily at Missy.

"I made you a nightgown," Sabah offered hers next. "It's some of the finer spider silk. There are no words for how comfortable that stuff is."

"More music," Lily shrugged. "Sorry, I don't have one of those cool making things powers. But then I got to thinking about that bird and wondering what it can do. Everyone else kept picking out soft rock, so I got you some good metal, just for variety's sake. Also, it's kind of hilarious watching that little thing go."

We were down to just Trevor and Lisa, and Lisa simply smiled and waved in his direction. It was a smaller box. A couple long boxes, I realized as I opened the wrapping. "They're a matching pair, for you and Taylor." I opened it and lifted the silver chain. It had a lovely rendition of the globe on it. I found the other was shaped like a scarab beetle, wings open.

"They're meant to lock together," he informed us. Taylor and I fiddled with it for a little bit before figuring it out, but he was right. The final product had the beetle sitting on the globe and shielding it with the wings.

"It's beautiful," I replied. I meant it, too. The artist who created this was a genius.

"And the best for last," Lisa announced, holding up an envelope and handing it over. "Don't worry about all the words. It's really quite simple. The UN's finally agreed to everything. You're holding official recognition. Pantheon is now its own sovereign state, with recognized domain by the majority of our world's nations." SurpriseAwe. "Congrats you two, you can call yourselves the Queens or Empresses or whatever you like of your own planet sized country. And the magic tree house is now, officially, a magic tree Embassy."

"Holy fuck," I muttered.

=============

A/N- Woo, birthdays! And recognizing a bunch of kids as a sovereign power.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. Rogue1615

Rogue1615 Getting sticky.

Well, we knew it was coming. But I wonder, how many people did NOT know that was coming in story. Reactions should be interesting.

I kind of want one of those song birds now...

3. Zarohk

Zarohk Worldbuilder, Idea Collector

It isn't just WAFF, it's also geopolitical security. You don't just have a happy day, you also have a definitive leverage point in international negotiations. Now that the horror and slaughter are over for the moment, the teenagers can relax before the next threat come into play.

This reminds me of Animorphs in the best way. Except, even less serialized and better written.

EDIT: Added "for the moment," clarifying.

Ryuketsu, eNBious, Ragura and 10 others like this.
  4. GorgonEyed

GorgonEyed Five-Star Horror Ham

Once again, Lisa reminds us why she is the very best friend.

5. Student of Zelretch

Student of Zelretch Put the ice back on my lake. Moderator

I *Think* she's referring to Tattle herself, but I'm not sure.

6. AyiosKat

AyiosKat Know what you're doing yet?

Oh man this is great. I hope they choose Empress just so we can have gratuitous 40k references from Zack.

7. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

You know, of course, that Zach is going to petition to be the new Poobah of Pantheon, right?

...because Zach. Honestly, I shouldn't have to explain this.

Oooh, Riley can be the Surgeon General!

Lisa, of course, has to be the (evil) Vizier.

Hey, they even have a couple of WMD's already. I like how the State of Pantheon rolls.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  8. BrainFreeze

BrainFreeze Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I didn't get what was the deal with boxes? Were it boxes that can combine? Or something (what?) inside boxes?

TanaNari likes this.
  9. dasstan

dasstan :)

Dean's spirit lives on.
    word's missing.
    Clockblocker's spirit lives on.
    Italics.
    Gifts come in boxes. One gift is a globe. The other gift is a globe hugging scarab. The scarab hugs the globe.

also:
    Hail, Imperatixes Gaia and Khepri.

10. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Now Riley gets to be a real life princess.

"Go to your sub-continent young lady!"

Ryuketsu, eNBious, Torgamous and 23 others like this.
  11. Unelemental

Unelemental Not too sore, are you?

Just for curiosity's sake, I googled for some videos of parakeets singing heavy metal.
    It's true. The internets has everything. :eek:
    The kinds of things people get up to in their free time...

12. gunghoun

gunghoun The Hero of Man (v2.0)

Jewelry boxes, I'm pretty sure. I think they got a pair of pendants, Amy's a little globe and Taylor's a beetle that wraps around it. Like a two-part BFF heart necklace.

TanaNari likes this.
  13. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Yay,Clarice is a MUSHROOM PRINCESS for real now,maybe she can create a sister state called the Mushroom Kingdom.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  14. Navrin

Navrin Experienced.

Please, it'd be a Princessipality, not a Kingdom. :p

15. Beyogi

Beyogi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, you've got a good point there. The problem with Animorph was that it suffered from monster of the day books that were basically pointless fillers, because the author wanted to sell more ghost written books.

This obviously doesn't have that problem. The characters are growing with each chapter in a way. There weren't any 100k word random events that would have no effect later on. Pretty much the reverse was the case here.

TanaNari and Zarohk like this.
  16. Snake/Eater

there are other threats to Pantheon then Scion,the Endbringers,cauldron/PRT,C.U.I,their are the refugees turned political insurgents because of the what happened to Finland,Russia and other disestablished countries in the Wormverse that would be reasonably pissed off that there is a new country in existence while they have to live in the ruins their own homeland, ignored and cursed by the world for just being unlucky.here's another song called "Empire" by the Alpins.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Zarohk likes this.
  17. Jackercracks

Jackercracks At Two With Nature

Well they can just ask for a new planet of their own if they get their knickers in a twist. They'd probably get it, planets are going like hotcakes at the moment.

daimahou and TanaNari like this.
  18. Snake/Eater

you can not give away a planet for free to people considered by the world public a bunch of terrorists.

19. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

In his defense, he may have intended to use it against one of the others, probably Leviathan. Then Simurgh looked at his plan, went NOPE, and changed her schedule a bit to make him look like an asshole.

TanaNari likes this.
  20. Ghostdraconi

Ghostdraconi Getting out there.

If a bunch of terrorists were a threat to Pantheon they'd already have their own country.

21. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

This. Pantheon can casually beat hell out of most countries. While holding back. If they break out the big guns the first warning anyone would have of an attack is when every single key center of government or military command gets hit with a transdimensional decapitation strike.

22. tilkau

tilkau Not too sore, are you?

On the contrary, they do. User documentation is something that happens to other people.

23. Sheaman3773

Sheaman3773 (Unverified Writer)

That's true.
    Still seems like he should have...I'm not sure, could he have safely vented it? Made a portal facing outwards as far above the Earth as possible? Seems like it would work. (As, yeah, Taylor suggests it and Phir Se doesn't say anything about it not working.) Then he tries again in three months. Or less, as it turns out, but I'm sure he'd be ready by the second accelerated Endbringer attack.

...were there range limitations involved? He could only hit an Endbringer attacking nearby? I don't see a mention of that...

TanaNari likes this.
  24. tkioz

tkioz Getting sticky.

Sounds like some of the programmers I use to work with... :p

Though in all seriousness an awesome chapter, but you do know what comes next right? The new nation state needs an official name, so lets get cracking.

I suggest The Theocratic Kingdom of Pantheonia.

Volkogluk and TanaNari like this.
  25. Student of Zelretch

Student of Zelretch Put the ice back on my lake. Moderator

The Republic of Pantheon?

TanaNari likes this.
  26. Snake/Eater

The Divine Empire

daimahou, TanaNari and ZomBguy like this.
  27. Cyclone

Cyclone Disciple of Zor

Theocracy of Pantheon, thank you very much.

28. Navrin

Navrin Experienced.

The People's Theocracy of Pantheon. :p

29. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Or they could just call it Olympus.

30. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

I'd love to see this happen, honestly I would, but...it's also the kind of PR move that's equivalent to shooting yourself in the foot. Calling your government a 'Theocracy' and then saying you're the head of it?

Uh...it makes people twitchy. People like Haven, that they're allied with fairly closely. Part of why Rapture went to investigate Pantheon in the first place was to insure they weren't megalomanics with pretensions to godhood.

Honestly, Pantheon's best move is probably to institute some kind of Constitutional Monarchy and cede most of the civil powers to a non-parahuman government while the 'crown' holds military matters 'in trust' as well as dealing with parahuman affairs.

Appointing other powerful and influential parahumans into non-heritable (or even heritable) positions of de-facto nobility (even if they don't call the positions that) and giving them a limited amount of authority over a given territory in conjunction with some kind of civil functionary or beauracrat would also be a good move. Then you can build a House of 'Lords' and 'Commons' where parahumans can go to their local 'noble' to appeal if they feel they're being descriminated against or if they're having problems with other parahumans. Hell, the parahumans could even be responsible for 'electing' a 'noble' to represent them.

On the planetary scale? I think the best system would be some manner of Federated Monarchy similar to pre-WWI Imperial Germany. Gaea and Khepri would be the Diarchy, probably some kind of 'Empresses' and the parahuman functionaries would have some kind of elected noble or royal title, like a lesser monarch or prince, while also maintaining a civilian elected executive and parliament. The subsidary polities would either elect or appoint representatives to a planetary council of Lords and Commoners (who would still be citizens) to sit before the Heads of the 'Empire.'

Come to think of it...this even works out for a separate law code like the Nobles used to be held to in the Magna Carta...although you might want to make that a little more strict than the one the Magna Carta put into place.

...and wow, this is what I get for being a history major, I guess.