1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Pirafir

Pirafir Getting out there.

I thought he would have killed himself at the edge of the timefield until his respawn happened to be on the other side.

It also looks like it was something scary enough for him to not want to go back in again.

Buggy123 likes this.
  2. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 230
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 230

Moments after Lily was absorbed into the bubble, bolts started streaming out. Small sputters at first, but 'first' in this case was a matter of an eyeblink. Then it was like trying to count the raindrops in a hurricane. The new Endbringer's front practically melted under the onslaught, and it moved to retreat from an attack that was coming from within its own defenses. She's winning, I realized with a thrill. She's going to kill the fucker. ExcitementHope.

The bolt wave stopped for a second and we got our look at the inside of the Endbringer. There wasn't a lot to say, it merely kept the same layers going throughout. It let itself drift toward one of its other time fields, and started regenerating. The stream of bolts started again, this time joined by the blasters. The brutes and Alexandria packages stayed back, they'd have to content themselves with watching the display of firepower. The bolt wave halted for yet another while the other ranged attackers kept up the pressure

"She's been in there about seven and a half days," Emma spoke. "That's my guess at least."

"Will she be okay?" Sabah asked.

"The life support systems for our armor is pretty good," Emma answered. "If it absolutely has to, it can keep you alive for years. Hers could last longer, since she doesn't have to waste power on dozens of offensive and defensive subsystems the way most of the rest of us do."

Another bolt wave cut into the Endbringer as they spoke. "It's not going to work," Lisa spoke up while we were watching the screen. "The Endbringer's core is protected by a time effect, much like the columns. In addition to all the other high density Endbringer bullshit we've come to know and despise. It's regenerating faster than Lily can cut into it, with or without the time dilation."

"You're certain?" Chevalier asked. Dragon had tied him in to our coms so he could coordinate, where possible. He was, unfortunately, not able to really participate in this fight, but he did his level best.

"If she could have, she would have by now," Lisa answered. "She's had months of subjective time to succeed. He's had years of subjective time to regenerate."

FuryImpotenceDisgust.

The time bubble popped, and Lily came out. The same moment, the Endbringer turned toward her, sending one of the other columns toward her. We knew from experience that this one was more like a hard wall of time, not unlike what Clockblocker could do, but far more massive. Or at least that was the theory. What we knew for certain is that it reduced any cape that had touched it to little more than a red mist.

Alexandria rushed in and collided hard with the damaged monster, forcing it back.

Lily shunted over, and started to fall. "I had to hit the overrides," Taylor informed us. "She wasn't responding."

Sabah was already rushing toward where Lily had begun to fall, the ribbons of cloth in place to catch her. At least her power's not still active, I thought. That would have been a disaster.

She wrapped Lily in her bandages, immediately rushed her to me. "You have to help her!" Sabah demanded. Thanks to her armor, I couldn't see her face, but I could hear in her voice that she'd been crying.

"Set her down," I instructed. Once she was in contact with the ground, I used the Yggdrasil chain to reach my power into her. Sleep deprivation was the only glaring medical issue I could spot, alongside partial malnutrition and dehydration, but nothing especially troubling with either of those conditions. I mended the sleep issues, and adjusted her metabolism slightly to make recovery for easier, then I gave the push that would allow her to wake up.

"S-Sabah?" she asked, then she flung herself into her girlfriend's arms. "I've missed you so much. I tried. I tried so hard. I couldn't... I'm sorry..." she started weeping uncontrollably, clinging to Sabah's armor.

"Sedate her," Rapture instructed. "She needs to rest."

I chose to trust the psychology tinker to know what she was talking about, and Lily slumped into her girlfriend's arms. "Sorry," I spoke, although I wasn't sure if the apology was meant for Sabah or Rapture or Lily.

FrustrationTiredDisgust. "You need sleep," I demanded of Taylor and Missy both, looking around at the condition of our mobile base.

Right now, Emma and Riley were manning our command center. We had thrown out the Clarice pretense after Rapture left. She, like most of the forces that had arrived early in the battle, had given up on contributing and had gone back home to deal with other responsibilities.

Zach and Theo were here as well, and Theo also looked exhausted. And I brought along Crystal and Trevor when I arrived to provide some fresh help. They, at least, had gotten some rest.

In the field, Victoria was fighting alongside a small swarm of the zerg. Legend and Dragon made up the rest of the force that actually mattered in the fight. The Endbringer, now designated Khonsu, was now terrorizing a small town in the Rocky Mountains which didn't even have any local capes. Although I had to admire the local normals, a number of whom opted to start shooting the thing with rifles.

"I can keep going," Taylor insisted. "Just restore me again."

"That's not a substitute for actual rest," I insisted. "Everyone else is fighting him in shifts. Even Dragon and Alexandria are taking time to recover, and their powers mean they don't actually need to sleep."

LoveImpatience. "I can't, not right now," Taylor insisted. "I know you're concerned, but I can keep going." You're repeating yourself, Taylor.

"Me, too," Missy demanded, stifling a yawn. I followed suit, having less than seven hours of rest in the three days we'd been fighting. "She did it for over six months. I'm not giving up so easily."

"She woke up a couple hours ago," I told them.

"Will she be okay?" Taylor asked.

"Rapture's diagnosed a number of anxiety disorder triggers," I informed my partner. "Isolation, the idea that she failed. They'll be taking shifts to care for her. She won't be fit to return to duty for a while." ConcernSympathyAnger.

There was a sharp beep from the command center.

"We're detecting the waveform," Trevor spoke. He meant the signal Khonsu radiated right before his teleportation. Thanks to the intel they got out of Azrael, they'd found a method to track the Endbringer preemptively. "Estimating approximately forty five seconds until he moves. Target location... Riyadh, Saudi Arabia."

Missy sighed, and then took a deep breath. Fuck. I reached over and touched her shoulder, repairing her biology where I could. Modifying brains was still something I did my best to avoid, especially when I was this tired. Removing fatigue was the best I could hope to achieve. She'd be okay for a few more hours. Missy stood taller and the tunnel opened quickly, although certainly not as fast as it would if she were rested.

I wrapped my arms around Taylor as I mended her next. While I worked, a small swarm of the selected Zerg went through the tunnel. Even they were being deployed in shifts, because moving the whole army through in a timely fashion was simply impossible. "Love you," she whispered as alertness returned to her mind and our link. "But you worry too much. I can do this."

"We're working on a solution," I told her. Lisa's been in contact with a few groups that might be able to assist in this."

CuriosityDoubtHope. "Such as?"

"Not sure," I admitted. "Cauldron's leadership, almost certainly. Some of the African and Middle Eastern groups. Protectorate will be there, too. Dragon. Maybe..." I hesitated.

"There's talk about recruiting help from the Birdcage."

ShockConcernSupport. "Do you think he will be there?" I didn't need to ask her who she meant. "Do you want me to come with?"

"No," I squeezed her harder. "Yes. But you're needed here. Lisa and I can handle things. Just... don't be surprised if our link cuts out. There's going to be a lot of people there who want to keep their secrets. We have the quantum tunnel device, but even if it works, don't let them know you're there."

WorrySupportLonely. "I understand," she agreed. "The mission comes first. Stay safe."

"Says the girl who was about to fall over from exhaustion," I muttered.

"Thanks." WarmSafe.

Vicky shunted back over seconds before the Endbringer vanished again. "Vicky," I spoke, leaving no room for debate in my voice. "I need you with me."

"What for?" she asked.

Before the end of the day, you might have to kill my father. "I'll explain on the way," I told her.

================

A/N- PLOT DEVELOPMENTS!!!

Also. I got today's pair of chapters in early to do a thorough reread of a chapter or two in canon. Apply butterflies. And the like.

Because that'll be an interesting one.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  3. Faraway-R

Faraway-R Getting sticky.

To dispel your confusion, I was implying that Pantheon would likely have all the necessary measures to instantly transport the CUI troops away from the cities.

Like somehow hooking Eric to Taylia's sensory capabilities and multitasking, and teleporting them a hundred miles west in the blink of an eye (then shunting Eric safely away).
    Yeah, or that. :)

On the new chapter:

So... Is their plan now "pinpoint where Endbringer reappears and Sting-block the volume"? After all, if they manage to put a block of Sting-matter right where the core appears, they will bypass the outer layers.

4. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Lily's time-stunt hit me hardest, here. It's been moments for everyone, but she was in there for months, doing nothing but charging and firing at an enemy she couldn't properly perceive. No contact, no friends or allies, nothing but herself and her weapon. For months.

No wonder she's a wreck.

Ryuketsu, eNBious, Xidas and 29 others like this.
  5. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Well, they're cracking the Birdcage open earlier than in canon.

Although, I think Marquis and Lustrum moving in to the Interdimensional Magic Treehouse Embassy is just what Pantheon needs...to never, ever have happen.

Amelia, going into the Birdcage is a horrible idea that will end in fire and tears. I will enjoy every minute of it, but it will still be an emotional catastrophe in the making.

Although there will be tea, at least. The Fairie Queen wouldn't be so rude as to not offer the God Empress of Avalon refreshment.

6. Student of Zelretch

Student of Zelretch Put the ice back on my lake. Moderator

Welp, for this one would Glastig with grey boy's power, a copy of sting, and a healthy dose of sundancer work here?

7. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Why would Lustrum?

Taylor's mother was a member of her followers, but ditched it before she went off the rails, that's the only connection I can think of and it's largely irrelevant.

Regardless of that, it'll be interesting to see what queeny does, and also what Saint's reaction to possibly letting out Teacher will be, given his modified perception of things. He's still 'addicted' to Teach, but now he's found an even bigger threat then Dragon.

8. Divabot

Divabot KILL ALL THE HUMANS

This canon omake suggests a closer relationship between Lustrum and Annette.

9. BlackBulletOfSeven

BlackBulletOfSeven Making the rounds.

I think it's kinda implied that a Lily and maybe a Zach interlude are kinda wanted/needed soon.

I think they were the ones most affected psychologically.

ProdigiousThunder likes this.
  10. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

You're repeating yourself, Taylor

11. Daunmi

Hmmm, I'd disagree, but it's not really worth it.

I suppose I'll go to my fallback position and just query why it would matter anyway, given that they're virtually untouchable, have plenty of thinkers to catch any games they might play, and they've been stuck in the birdcage for however long completely out of the loop.

They play nice, or they're in for a bad time.

(also, neither of them would be particularly useful against Khonsu... or any Endbringer for that matter)

TanaNari likes this.
  12. dasstan

dasstan :)

You're suggesting killing Lily and Marissa to allow GU to gain access to their passengers? What?

Sheaman3773 and TanaNari like this.
  13. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

It would be for the greater good,plus they could resurrect lily per-time warp, and marrissa.

14. dasstan

Pantheon has shown to go to dubious lengths. I don't think intentionally murdering one of their members is one of those lengths.

Activating one of the clones and offing it before it has a chance to come to, maybe. Maybe. But flat out killing Lily? No. And heaven help whoever suggests it when Sabah is around.

15. Daunmi

Don't even need to do that. There's a second Sting user in the Adepts' roster that manifests it differently, but it's still the other Sting user.

16. dasstan

That's, uh, still murdering someone to feed their passenger to the crazy fairy queen?

Diller and TanaNari like this.
  17. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

Do you REALLY want to give GU the Sting? Not Valkyrie, but GU?

18. Snake/Eater

It wouldn't be murder if Amelia asks nicely,with her powers Lily wouldn't feel a thing. it would be like going to sleep...permanently. If lily says no,then Lisa can guilt her in to suicide.at worst it would be manslaughter.

19. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Cloning is still a much better idea. The original Lily won't be affected and the clone won't ever be awake.

powerofvoid likes this.
  20. tordg

tordg (Unverified Idiot)

Italics
    "What we knew for certain is capes that had touched it turned to little more than a red mist", perhaps?
    And just as good is the old standby of teaming up. GU's ghosts don't gattai or anything special that would make GIVING GU STING worth it.

21. Daunmi

Yes, because no one would argue that that is immoral. Clearly.

God I hope you haven't just set off something.

TanaNari likes this.
  22. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Did you actually read this before posting it? Because that is...I can't even describe how low of a chance that has of even possibly happening and Lisa would probably devour the entrails of anyone who even contemplates suggesting it with a smile on her face.

23. Sheaman3773

Sheaman3773 (Unverified Writer)

I liked Lily's choice here. Shame the Endbringer BS overruled it.

Man, months without human contact, or even being able to really take a break...

On another note, while looking for something else entirely, I found canonical proof that the Faultline in this fic is getting ripped off for what she's charging for the portals.
    6.8 million, for a one-time thing, without travel or knowing how valuable it was going to be.

I think your Faultline needs to renegotiate, and start by adding a couple of zeroes at the end there :p

edit: Oh, btw, threadmarking is public here on QQ. Do you want to outsource the job to your audience? There's a mod for doing so in bulk on SV, but I don't think it's been imported here yet.

I'd have just started with the ones I was reading, but I didn't want to start without talking to you on your own thread.

24. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

... I'm not sure what's worse. The fact that people are honestly considering creating clones for Glaistig Uaine to feed upon. The fuck's wrong with you people?

Or that none of you were clever enough to go "dude... what if we create clones of GU to give to GU?"

You'd only need three of them. Those three summon 9. Then you get 27. Then you get 81. After that it's easier just to have them all summon 2 GUs and 1 other cape. So the next wave you have 162 more GUs and 81 capes. The wave after that you have 324 GUs and another 162 capes (243). Then you have 648 and +324 (for 567)... you see where this is going?

If you need overpowered insanity, why not make it exponential? And damn could you make it exponential.

Either way. You oughta be ashamed of yourselves.

Why are people not happy with my index?

At the same time... meh, fuck it. Add a redundant index to your heart's content.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  25. WizardTwo

WizardTwo Not too sore, are you?

I like your index! Burn the heretics who don't like the index! Praise the index!

26. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Glory to the God-Index of Mankind!

27. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

I've been thinking about how Pantheon could create their own Birdcage. I think the most secure solution would be to use Cranial's technology to make a copy of their memories, then incinerate them. Then, when you need to let them out, you make a clone and implant the old memories. This would have a minor drawback:

Volkogluk, Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  28. Snake/Eater

what about an accelerated-perception of time inside a virtual really interface,the the longer you spend on the on the vr,the more your perception of time increases.5 minutes in reality would be ten thousand years of isolation and rehabilitation.

29. Hexed999

Hexed999 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Probably wouldn't work, GU needs to feed any ghosts she keeps active with a well of power she draws from the other ghosts she has. So well the output would be insane the power draw would be insane as well, assuming that the GU shades don't just get her striker ability because space magic. You're far better off cloning Eidolan twice and Lily once.

Fuck you, the fate of the (fictional) world is at stake, the ends justify the means. :D

30. Cambrian

Cambrian The Pimperor - Inspirational as Fuck

Wait does cloning people clone their shards? I was under the impression that the only reason clone taylor kept her powers was because the shard stuck around a little while after taylor prime died. But i guess that wouldnt explain how the Butcher didnt come back.

But then if cloning someone makes a whole new version of their shard, why was Victoria powerless when they brought her back?