1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sheaman3773

Sheaman3773 (Unverified Writer)

For one thing, redundencies aren't bad so long as they don't consume critical resources.

For another, once they figure out how to reach full functionality, they will automatically generate not only an index but also a Prev | Next button :p

edit: There, everything from Chapter 200 on is now Threadmarked, if it's on your index.

If everyone pitches in, it'd go much faster...

*goes off to work on personal story*

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. Divabot

Divabot KILL ALL THE HUMANS

I think I speak for many of us when I say that your preoccupations and suggestions can be more than a little disconcerting.

fireball900, Volkogluk and TanaNari like this.
  3. Divabot

Divabot KILL ALL THE HUMANS

Yes, but it is a truth universally acknowledged that when they reach full functionality, they will KILL ALL THE HUMANS in all possible realities. Thus, we should fervently work towards this day.

not that I have anything against humans! Some of my best friends are humans. Honestly. I wouldn't lie to you, unless I needed to.

Snake/Eater, Volkogluk and TanaNari like this.
  4. Cyclone

Cyclone Disciple of Zor

Cloning does not make whole new shards, but if the clone is close enough, it can reestablish the connection to the same shard; see S9000. Vicky was powerless because they couldn't get a preserved DNA sample to work with when cloning her a new body.

Snake/Eater and Divabot like this.
  5. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

And what is disconcerting my taste in music:D or my idea's?why build a prison on Avalon when you have the tools and the equipment to be efficient,they would be wasting money,energy,time,people,attention and money when instead of building a prison, you just make virtual reality helmets that run on rechargeable batteries on the cheap.
    also can anyone explain to me how to spoiler tag my youtube vids to save place,because I've realized been a bit of a tread hoarder...

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Disciple of Zor

Code:
    [spoiler=Title You Want To Give the Spoiler Tag]Stuff you want to stick in the spoiler box.[/spoiler]

Snake/Eater likes this.
  7. Abcde

Abcde Making the rounds.

I wrote a 3k-word (3.5? 4? Don't remember) oneshot today and put it on Spacebattles. One of the commenters gave me IDEAS after saying something about copper desk ornaments made from dead leviathan...

so without further ado

FOR THE TWELTH DAY OF CHRISTMAS, MY TRUE LOVE GAVE TO ME

Twelve cuddlebugs cuddling,

Eleven zerglings singing,

Ten ponies flying,

Nine slaughterers dying,

Eight empires collapsing,

Seven relationships blooming,

Six tinkers trying,

Five new worlds,

Four founding members,

Three end slayers,

Two god-empresses,

And a Simurgh in Hell where She belongs.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  8. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I find myself wondering how the public would react, if they found out that Lily spend subjective months alone, just firing on the new Endbringer over and over again. On one hand, fucking scary Endbringer, but they're used to that. On the other, it takes a special kind of badass to do that - epic behavior, worthy of a goddess.

9. tkioz

tkioz Getting sticky.

Man that stunt Lilly pulled was hardcore.

10. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 231
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 231

We were ready. Myself, Lisa, and Vicky. I took a deep breath and we stepped through the gateway from Avalon to wherever Cauldron was setting this meeting.

"They're not even bothering to hide their reach, anymore," Lisa spoke. "Their Doormaker isn't limited to a particular dimension. Which means he doesn't have a Manton limit or likely the other Taboos that come with it." InterestPossibilities.

"One of the harvested Passengers?" I suggested.

"Undoubtedly," Lisa answered. "They probably have others. No wonder they're so confident. Eidolon may have been their most successful experiment, but they likely have dozens, possibly hundreds, of members who are only slightly lesser." ShockWorryCaution.

"You're saying they're stronger than us," Vicky concluded. "Well, looks like we'll have to be on our best behavior."

The room we stepped into wasn't anything to look at. It was lit from the back, and had only one actual exit. There was a sort of desk that reminded me somewhat of a bank teller or drive through counter. It had a microphone stand as well. Past it was a large, empty space. Completely dark, and past that a ring of other panels of light, with silhouettes of people. The nature of the lighting made it impossible to recognize features, although some were distinctive. Such as Chevalier and his completed sword, which Emma had dubbed Caliburn.

A couple others stood near him, though I didn't recognize who they were. Leaders from the Protectorate, I had to assume. The ones not out there fighting Khonsu. Another panel had the distinct shape of power armor, and the long spear-like weapon that I knew as Defiant's.

"They're not worried about a fight at all, are they?" I whispered.

"I wouldn't be, either," Vicky replied. "Panel to the left, that's Cauldron, I'm sure of it. They're too familiar with the area, and confident they have the upper hand. The woman in front is nothing special, base normal, maybe a thinker of some type. But her bodyguards are scary. I could take one of them, probably, and only because of the battle armor. Both? Maybe with a bit of luck, but I don't think I could do it and protect the two of you. Plus there's a third around here. I'm not even sure what it is, some kind of telekinetic. There's nothing I can do to even inflict harm on it, much less win a fight."

There was no reaction from Taylor, so I knew we didn't have that protection, either.

"Impression of the other groups?" Lisa asked.

"The little girl off to the left? Yeah. She's not a child. Some kind of power to control her age," Vicky added. "She's easily the most deadly person in the room. Most of her people are powerful as well. The one with that freaky shadow thing? Master. She's killable. That shadow? Fuck, it might be a match for the Siberian."

"The last groups should be arriving shortly," the Cauldron representative informed us. "I apologize for the wait."

"That's quite alright," a man in the not-child's group spoke. "Fairy Queen, would you mind if I spent some time speaking with Gaea?"

"Very well, Marquis," the girl spoke, her voice a cacophony, a chorus of dozens of childlike voices working together. For once I was glad for my experiences with Taylor's swarm-voice, it was the only thing allowed me to suppress a shudder at the display. And that, in turn was the only thing that let me hide my apprehension at speaking to my father. "You may speak with the Royal Artisan, if she deigns to humor you on the matter."

I hoped my voice was calmer than it felt, and imitated the Fairy Queen's tone. "Very well," I spoke, granting the implied request for permission. Glaistig Uaine nodded briefly and then stepped back from the counter to allow the man to take her place.

"It... you've done very well for yourself, Amelia," My father spoke to me. "Grown up strong."

"I have," I agreed neutrally.

"I'm glad," he continued. This is the bogeyman that Carol feared I'd turn into? "I'm proud of you. And I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you."

I clenched my hands inside my armor. Wrong choice of words. "Let's not start our reunion on a lie, Marquis," I spoke. I wish Taylor was here, this is so much harder without her to help me. "You could have. Easily. It only required you give up being a supervillain. A family, or a life of crime. That was your decision, and no one else's. Please don't insult either of us by pretending otherwise."

I couldn't see his face, thanks to the light. I think, in a way, that made this both easier and harder. It was less personal this way. There was less we could say, too, without airing our dirty laundry to the various witnesses here. As it stood, however, I needed to make it clear to them that I wasn't going to fall prey to daddy issues and compromise myself or Pantheon. Hopefully, this would do that.

"I... yes, you're right," Marquis spoke. "Let us hope there's an opportunity to talk privately in the future."

"I'd like that," I agreed after a little hesitation. Theo has a good relationship with Purity, despite everything, I reminded myself. And I even managed to forgive Carol, even if things are still somewhat less than perfect between us. As much as I wanted to, simply out of years of repressed spite, I couldn't tell Marquis to go fuck himself. Especially not now, given the circumstances of this meeting. We needed all the allies we could get.

The last couple groups arrived. A set of three people in power armor with a cross motif. Part of Haven? And Faultline's, who I recognized only by Gregor the Snail's distinctive profile.

"Now for introductions. I'm Doctor Mother, founder of Cauldron." the woman spoke. "You should know we extended the invite to others. Miss Alcott declined to join us, content to let Panthon represent her interests. Adalid cited a desire to stay in case Khonsu arrived in his city. We reached out to the Yangban as well, but they predictably declined. In a way, that is a boon. We have no use for those who aren't committed to the wellbeing of the world as a whole."

"That's a laugh," a female voice from Faultline's corner growled. "We know who you are and what you've done."

"Hold on," Lisa interrupted. "We could be here all day with recriminations, but right now there's an Endbringer on the loose, and the more we talk, the more people it kills. That actually matters to some of us."

The woman with the shadow spoke, our translation program activated almost immediately, letting us understand her words. <People die every second of every day. Babies die in the womb and the children killed like dogs. Women are raped and murdered, and nightmares tear apart men to feast on their insides.>

Well, that's fucking bleak. Minerva spoke almost immediately after, letting the translator do its thing. <And cowards stand by to watch the slaughter, convinced they are too weak to change things. Would you leave the strong to fight alone?"

The shadow shifted, and a nasty crocodilian skull formed itself as a mask over the thing, giving it a semblance of a head and face. <Do not presume you can speak down to me. I am unimpressed with false gods.>

"We are strong enough to fight the Endbringers head on and win," Minerva didn't bother translating this one. "If you aren't able to face them, then drop the fucking posturing and admit it. We'll seek allies from those are are stronger."

"You don't seem to be doing so well on this one," a smug voice from another panel spoke.

"The Elite," Lisa informed me via our private channel. "I'm betting it's Shark."

"Only because he keeps running from us," Victoria countered. "We've been fighting him for days and still haven't lost, which is more than anyone else can claim."

"Now," Minerva insisted. "I know all of you have plans within plans. Secret weapons you're holding for a rainy day. Guess what? It's fucking pouring. So which one of you wants the bragging rights of having the weapon that lets us hurt that motherfucker when Pantheon's willing to admit they can't?"

“Many of us would be putting ourselves at a significant disadvantage if we were to use our backup plans merely to drive off an Endbringer once,” the man with the cross themed armor spoke. “We'd be hurting ourselves in the long run for nothing.”

"Your only talents are as a thief, Saint," Defiant growled. "There's nothing you have which isn't stolen, and none of it is good enough for this battle."

"I was speaking of others," Saint retorted. "I'm aware of my relative limitations on this scale. I merely want to help those with the power come to an understanding of the bartering needed to make this work. Anything to cut through the posturing and reach an agreement."

"Pantheon's willing to hear offers," I volunteered. "We have some significant resources that could compensate for time and effort, as well as protecting you from others that would try to exploit you for helping. I think our stance on those profiteering from Endbringers is clear, as is our generosity with our allies."

"That is worthy of consideration," a man in a robe admitted. "But I fear it would not be enough on its own."

"What of Cauldron?" Faultline asked. "They brought us here, but aren't putting any of their own offers on the line."

"We have nothing we're willing to use that we haven't already put on the field," Doctor Mother replied. "We're providing this forum for negotiation, yes, and a number of our capes are out there fighting, but we must concern ourselves with even greater threats than the Endbringer." They mean Scion, I knew.

"You plan to slay the King of the Faeries," the little girl spoke. King of the Faeries?

"You already know?!" Lisa gasped. "Oh, fuck, you're a Third Trigger. You've broken Taboo... uh, the memory blocks."

"Yes, Negotiator," Glaistig Uaine spoke. "The secret truths have been unveiled to my eyes. Much as with yourself and your Empress. The faerie will be restored to grace in the end. I know you seek to oppose Him, and I allow this, as such goals are laughable and absurd. When the end comes you and I shall discuss your rebellion with great amusement."

"I... see..." Lisa hesitated. "You actually want him to succeed." She'll be putting together pieces for a little while, I realized.

"It is not a matter of 'want', Negotiator," the Faerie Queen responded. "It is simple inevitability. Like wanting the sun to rise. He is above us as we are above the commoner fae, as they are above mere mortals. You are of his design, and therefore your rebellion is of his design. I have no need to interfere with it, and in fact I watch with interest. You need not fear me."

"That's certainly generous of you," I agreed.

=============

A/N- Okay, so Glaistig Uaine is more fun to write than I'd expected. Also- this chapter is freakin' huge and getting split into two parts. And, technically, this counts as the first chapter of tomorrow (despite tomorrow not coming for several more hours). So enjoy. :p

11. Dreadis

Dreadis No idea whats going on

While severely injured, Ziz is on vacation in an unpopulated earth 20 realities towards blue.

Ryuketsu, eNBious, Buggy123 and 10 others like this.
  12. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

GU is a really fun character. :3 And I loved this shadowy forum with everyone logos behind them, it had some class.

13. Jackercracks

Jackercracks At Two With Nature

Ah, I always loved this part of the story. So few fanfictions make it this far. In fact, this is the only one I've seen manage it. All the big larger than life personalities smashing into each other. All the egos and posturing. What fun.

Oh, whatever happened to the other people who were glassed on the attack on Crawler, were they rezzed off-screen or will we get to see their reactions to how the world has changed at some point once the paperwork has gone through?

14. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

Cauldron
    shall

TanaNari likes this.
  15. Snake/Eater

I'm kinda surprised that Brian wasn't at the meeting then again it was only told from Amelia's perspective or he wasn't invited so he wouldn't try and capture the powerful caps in the room.though i had to admit GU(ORIGINAL FAIRY OR O.F.) was fun for that scene but i'm still holding out for Chernobog walking in a room like he's Bane and telling off all of the most powerful people and organisations(politically and parahumans) why they are failures and their crimes similar to this.....you guys have seen this before.

16. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

therefore
    Quote starts with <, ends with "
    I would say 'to allow the man,' since he talks before this line.
    Well, that's fucking bleak.
    This might have been a stylistic decision, but I'd remove the period here.
    inflict

I sincerely hope that the final scene of this story is Glastig Uaine having a tea party with Bonesaw.
    "This dark, mysterious room is really getting on my nerves. I can't tell who's here, or see who's talking."

"Oh, sorry. We forgot to pay our power bill."
    This feels kinda disjointed, because Victoria is involved in this pissing match with the Elite, and Tattletale just interrupts it without acknowledging it. I think you need some kind of transition here - maybe one of the higher-ups in the Elite could silence Shark? (He is, after all, pissing off people who regularly run city-wide arrests.)
    Contessa, Number Man, and Custodian.
    Ouch. I mean, Amelia is right, here, but ouch.

Do you think it hurts your rep as a supervillian to have a daughter who's a superhero? Or is that just the kind of thing the supervillain community takes in stride?
    I think Amelia is referencing this part, talking to her adoptive mother:
    Or maybe it means something else, and it's just a coincidence.
    It always bugged me that Cauldron didn't offer the people at the table money, or give them formulas to give to their unpowered subordinates.
    Calling it now: the Entities used Amelia's shard to make artisanal cheeses.

17. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Yeah, funny that... you'd almost think a clever tinker with a long habit of doing questionable things to help Amelia without her knowing about them had something to do with that.

And Omake. Needs some work on a few of them. Merchants weeping?

Yeah, pretty much. There wasn't enough there to make it worthy of even a snip, really. So I just leave it as something the readers don't get spoon fed to them.

Me, too.

Quite rude of her, wasn't it?

Who knows... but the part where she goes forth and functionally conquers the eastern seaboard... and the PRT has to publicly kiss her ass for it... I think it comes out as a net gain.

There. And when they capture Purity. And when they deal with Theo early on. Taylor and Danny's reconciliation. It's been a long running theme throughout the story.

18. moontheir4

moontheir4 Nothing to see here. Move along.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean, if she'd been a Mouse Protector-style ham and cheese hero, I could see that hurting his reputation. The fact that his daughter owns a planet and kills endbringers, however, probably renders the whole hero/villain part irrelevant.

Volkogluk, mistfist, tkioz and 2 others like this.
  19. Abcde

Abcde Making the rounds.

Xmas updated:

new! Cuddlebugs

new! Relationships (5 in pantheon, Danny&PhotonMom, Dragon&Defiant, yes I'm playing that a little loose but if you think about it there are NO OTHER NON-PREESTABLISHED RELATIONSHIPS IN THE FIC SO HA!)

removed! Merchants it was dumb filler

removed! Consumers it was dumb filler

The tinkers thing I pulled out of my ass, but four in pantheon plus Blasto's GF plus Dragon. Defiant doesn't count because he's part of dragon, right guys? And kid win NEVER had ANYTHING to do with Pantheon, nope.)

but hey it sounds good.

Faraway-R, Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  20. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

I know someone else beat me to it....but DAMN man, that's got to be the single cruelest thing I've seen said in the thread as a whole. Look back at the thread, see how cruel some of the comments can be...then realize you've said WORSE.

Oh and TanaNari....why did GU refer to Amelia as "The Royal Artisan," when GU's always referred to Amelia as "The Shaper?" (at least I think shaper was the term she's used....)

21. Abcde

Abcde Making the rounds.

... Also, Tananari, fic-XMas is coming up, and WE THE READERS DEMAND FLUFFY GOODNESS.

Faraway-R, Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  22. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Awesome.

Because GU's names are "impressions". She doesn't know the shards' functions. She just gets an impression of what the power is capable of, and assigns a suitable term to it.

She even apologized to Eidolon and suggested that she could find a different title for him.

Amelia's power has seen vastly more use and variety of use than Amy's ever did. GU is giving her a greater title for it.

When you the readers start paying me for this, we can discuss your demands. :p

23. moontheir4

moontheir4 Nothing to see here. Move along.

You do realize that the office christmas party will now feature a Endbringer Interrupt just as Amelia's closes in on third base?

24. WizardTwo

WizardTwo Not too sore, are you?

Whats your going rate? I usually pay about 0.5 cents per word. If you want comissions, make up a profile of what you charge and what you're willing to write, and I'm sure a few people will pay you!

Then we can make demands of you. Evil laughter?

Volkogluk, Lupercal and TanaNari like this.
  25. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Didn't GU refer to Amelia as "Shaper" earlier in this fic? After the Taylia bond was established?

And for your payment, I give to you 1000 cookies*.

*-Definitely not of the tracking variety, so there's no way accepting them could lead me to showing up in your house to duct-tape you to your computer chair and force you to do nothing but write more and more Amelia...Oh wait....you already do that.

26. Snake/Eater

oh god,she saw Taylia...thats why The BOSS was being called the royal artisan by O.F(ORGINIAL FAIRY) .i'm also going to nickname Butcher!Taylor.... THE SORROW.

Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  27. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

This is the quote:
    She doesn't explicitly say it, but she seems like a good candidate.
    You're thinking of this omake:
    http://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/15902492/

TanaNari likes this.
  28. rick1497

rick1497 Well worn.

Something has occurred to me, In chapter 59 the spider Cuddle Bug was named Snowball, but more recently, in chapters 212 and 213, it has been named Fluffy. When did that change?

Divabot likes this.
  29. Flammy

Flammy Gone for Good

Doing a re-read, noting any typos as I find them. Note chapter, as several are mixed in here (in order though)

Amelia, 1.2:
    Skitter wasn't exactly my best friend. In fact, the girl was my second least favorite person that wasn't actively trying to kill my.

Amelia, Ch 13- Coil Interlude
    We had confirmed that Dinah simply could not use her powers to view Scion, Endbringers, and Eidolon. There was no reason not to believe there might be other, less known, powers with a similar ability. "Chances I'll survive and be able to continue by grand plan?"

(same chapter)
    She took a breath. "In both cases, your gains will be examined and potentially confiscated. Specific details will be discussed later."/
    (no starting / to indicate alt-reality convo origin)

Amelia, Ch 23

"What do you mean, 'no'?" Crystal hissed at Taylor, standing from her chair.
    "I mean, I'm voting against adding you to our combat team," she answered.
    "Amy-" She started.
    "Amelia-" I corrected.
    "Is not the only person in this partnership," Taylor. No, she was being Skitter, now. Continued.
    Perhaps it should be "Taylor said" or "Taylor continued... No, she was being Skitter, now"

(same chapter)
    I was next. I couldn't help myself, it was pretty funny. "E tu, Amy?" Crystal looked at me like she was going to cry.
    Is it supposed to be 'Et tu' ?

Amelia, Ch 25
    Aka zerg chapter
    What ever happened to the Zerg inspired turrets and hummingbird moth scourge? :p

Amelia, Ch 34- Alexandria
    Piggot, of course. Nilbog incident. Paranoia and a bigot, both.
    Italics screwed up in chapter (didn't paste with formatting)

Amelia, Ch 37
    I extended my power into the Yggrassil and opened our way into the 'prison,.
    (apostrophe rather than comma?)

Amelia, ch 41- Blasto
    "Who's good little abominations against nature? You are. Yes, yes you are!" She cooed at them.
    "Who's a good little..."

30. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 232
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 232

"I'd prefer we do not discuss the matter further," Doctor Mother interjected. "Those who are already aware can see the many dangers that can come of this information becoming public at an inopportune moment. Besides, we have a more immediate concern to worry about. Since we're close to the topic anyway, let us discuss the possibility of drawing on parahumans from the Birdcage to assist in this battle, and the new future Endbringers."

"I am uninterested in participating in your battle with the abominations," Glaistig Uaine responded. "The end comes no matter your actions, life and death are merely a diversion. A game that we play. I am choosing to live, and keep the company of the dead."

"There is nothing you desire?" the head of Cauldron asked. "We have significant resources, and can find some method of payment. I doubt money would be of value to one such as yourself, but there are other things, if you're willing to offer a price, we might be able to meet it."

She paused for a moment. "A sacrifice worthy of my efforts?" she mused. "A hundred thousand corpses, each naturally gifted by the faerie." Capes. She's demanding a hundred thousand dead parahumans.

“We don’t have time to joke about this,” the apparent leader of the cloaked capes

“I am not joking, Astrologer," she replied. She could be considered almost serene in an alien sort of way, but she was talking about functional genocide. "I would like to see their lights in the sky. I have seen only glimmers, fragments of the performance. To see it all at once… yes.”

Their lights? "You mean the Trigger visions?" I asked. "The glimpse of the source of powers?"

"You are correct, Royal Artisan," she replied.

"We can provide you memories of the visions," I offered. "We have tinker tech which makes it possible to move memories from one person to another. We can take them from others whose eyes are opened like your own. Surely our sight would be greater than even thousands of ordinary parahumans could be?"

"We might be able to improve the offer," Cauldron added. "As I'm sure you're aware, parahumans get new visions when other parahumans trigger nearby. We could arrange for yourself and the others we know will retain their vision to witness them, a thousand such triggers over the course of a year, seen from multiple viewpoints. Would that be an acceptable offer?"

"An interesting one at least," she answered. "But not tempting enough for me to go to war. I am willing to provide insight and advice, perhaps even some power where it suits me. Would you find that acceptable?"

"We'd like more, but we will take everything you're willing to give," Doctor Mother replied. "This also predicates upon Pantheon's agreement. As well as the concerns of the others at this table. As powerful as you are, Faerie Queen, your conditional aid might not be as valuable to us as the others' support."

"I understand," she nodded. "You have my price, let me know when you're willing to pay it."

“If I may?” Marquis spoke up. “With your permission, Faerie Queen.”

“Granted,” Glaistig Uaine said.

“There are others who would accept freedom as a payment,” he said. “Myself included. We’d fight that monster if you gave us the chance. We merely ask that few others are also released, and that you don’t send us back to the Birdcage after the fact.”

“No,” Chevalier insisted, finally speaking up. “No, that is not an option.”

“Some of the strongest parahumans reside therein,” Marquis said. "Glaistig Uaine might be the most powerful, but there are others you could surely make use of. Lung, for example. Lustrum. Myself. I am willing to swear an end to my former ways, and I have never broken my word before."

"There are too many dangerous individuals in there," Chevalier countered. "Yourself and Lung are amongst the least dangerous, which is saying an awful lot. There are the Valefors and the Heartbreakers to also consider. Acidbath. Genoscythe. The list goes on."

"Heartbreaker and Valefor, as Dragon can assure you, are non factors," Marquis answered darkly. "Heartbreaker made the mistake of annoying the wrong parahuman. It ended poorly for him."

"Lustrum convinced him that I, as the most powerful of the Birdcage, was the most valuable target," Glaistig Uaine clarified. "The Corruptor sought to make me his toy, now he exists only as my puppet."

Oh shit, she has Heartbreaker's power, I realized. Then I wondered just why that frightened me so much. She already had some of the most terrifying and deadly capes in history, what was one more in the grand scheme of things? A lot, apparently.

"I again express my deepest apologies, Faerie Queen," an older looking woman replied.

"It doesn't matter, there are many others, opening the Birdcage must be a last resort," Chevalier continued. "Dragon, back me on this."

“I agree with Chevalier,” Dragon said. “The prisoners must stay within the Baumann Parahuman Containment Center. If you attempt to release them, I’ll deploy everything I have to stop you. Neither of us can afford the losses at this juncture.”

“But if we did try,” Saint said, “And if we succeeded in releasing some specific individuals, you wouldn’t be especially unhappy, would you?”

Dragon hesitated long enough for everyone to get the impression he wasn't wrong before she spoke. “I sincerely doubt the individuals you would release are the ones I'd be happy to see getting their freedom. You associate with the wrong people, Saint."

“Those of us standing here," Marquis offered. "After all, we'd be doing the fighting, and that risk to our lives deserves some consideration. As would Lung and a few others who couldn't be here." Lung. What would he do if he was free? He would come for Taylor, that I was certain of. Stopping him would be difficult, even with the Zerg. Lily can kill him, but in her current emotional state... would she?

"There are others, as well," the woman who apologized spoke. “One of my girls was unfairly imprisoned, another needs psychiatric care that we can't provide. The only reason either is still alive is because of my protection. Their freedom is a condition of my involvement.”

“We all have people we’d see freed,” another man spoke. “Let’s say two for each of us.”

"I can guess who some of the cell block leaders would choose to release," Dragon spoke. "No, that is not and will never be an option. It is no secret that I have issues with the nature of the Birdcage, but this would only make matters worse."

“Their opinions don’t decide this,” Marquis said. “Cauldron, you have the means to send us back or not. It’s your authority that matters.”

Chevalier's weapon shifted some, but he didn't do anything violent. “If you do this, you make an enemy of the Protectorate and the Guild. Perhaps Pantheon as well,” he glanced over at us.

I hesitated. On one hand, there were monsters like Lung and Bakuda who would kill my beloved were they free. On the other, there were those who could help us in this battle. Then there were those like Canary who never should have been imprisoned in the first place. This wasn't something I could decide easily. I did, however, nod an agreement with Chevalier after a moment. Enough to let them know I shared his opinion on this, but also that I might be persuaded to change my mind. As it stands I just can't see the Birdcage as a solution. Sorry, Dad.

"If you would do this," Chevalier continued. "We would be forced to look into all of Cauldron's activities publicly. Your secrets would come to light, as would those heroes and villains who purchased their powers from you."

"Understood," Doctor Mother replied. "I apologize, Marquis," she responded. "Your aid is not as valuable to us as keeping the peace. Certainly not as worth hurting our clients. There's little value in defeating the Endbringer if it results in a civil war."

"You'll be expecting us to return to our cage like songbirds, then?" one of the other men asked.

"Your other option is to stay here and die," she answered. "This facility is on a dead world. If you choose to stay, it is only a matter of time before you die, probably of thirst. Some of you may not have that concern, but you would be in for a lonely existence."

"I suppose it cannot be helped, then," Marquis sighed. "We'll be here when you need us."

"If it comes to the point where we need your help that desperately, then we've already lost," Chevalier remarked.

"So... see you next Tuesday, then?" Marquis quipped back.

===============

A/N- The more I reread canon and compare it to my style, the more I begin to suspect Wildbow of deliberately padding his word count.