1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Hah! This means I'll be writing chapter 234.5

2. Alterego9

Alterego9 Know what you're doing yet?

By the way, did you decide what your original fiction will be?

Buggy123 likes this.
  3. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Not fully, no. My feedback requesting thread has been pretty low on activity, which means I'll probably be running with Midara. Paradox, then its prequel and sequel in that order. Then I'll jump back to Void Goddess.

It's the one I'm most confident in the story and setting thereof. And there's not been exactly a clamoring of requests for anything else.

4. Sheaman3773

Sheaman3773 (Unverified Writer)

I mean, unless I missed something again (which is totally possible) at one point they're following along using Vista in one of their alt-dimensions, then next they're just teleporting along, without any commentary at all.

Am I forgetting them being told, or was it just not on-screen? /reread No, definitely not on-screen. There was a time where it could have been done off-screen, but the readers don't know about it until Pantheon aren't trying to beat Khonsu to his next location in the alternate dimensions, they just start floating, and then they teleport with it.

Even from first person, I would expect a fleeting thought of "Oh, yeah, that ally we were told would take care of transportation now" as it's happening. You spent time on the smoothness of the transition, but not on its origin?
    The proper texture, obviously.
    1) I would honestly expect the Protectorate to act like it's higher on the food chain than the govt of any one of its constituent countries, even the US, given its behavior both in canon and in here.

2) My question doesn't really change if it goes from "Why does the Protectorate have a say?" to "Why does the US govt have a say?" I mean, by this point it's essentially answered either way, but the difference doesn't honestly change much on the surface. More hidden details will be altered, I admit.
    Yeah, I know. I did state it was speculation. What, am I not allowed to comment on the fallible speculation of the characters? How dickish of you :p
    Yeah, no excuse there. Normally I'd point out just how many Worm stories are being followed, not to mention RL stuff, but yeah, that one was pretty blatant when you don't gloss over "Faultline."

Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  5. Inverness

Inverness The Foxiest Wife

The problem with this though is that I don't think Endbringers would have access to sealed dimensions any more than parahumans would. They certainly don't need it.

They may be exceptionally powerful but from the Entities' perspective they would not be much different from parahumans in the grand scheme of things.

TanaNari likes this.
  6. the DragonBard

the DragonBard Creator of Worlds

Question is, where is it going that doesn't exist?

7. Izicata

Izicata AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME

Remember that at this point dimensional science is all Tinkertech. The Entities coded restrictions into Tinkertech (and all other powers) to prevent it from being successfully used against them; e.g. during Golden Morning, the tinkers just couldn't figure out how to access Zion's well dimension. Khonsu is probably retreating to one of the dimensions that the Entities have prevented bound Shards from accessing.

8. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

we live in fourth dimensional universe,but the Endbringer are multi-dimensional bio-androids,they are probably hiding in a universe our mind cannot comprehend.while scion's true body is a Q-dimensional being that exists in all realities and dimensions.but oddly can precieve time linearly like us or chooses to.they are maybe in a leftover 5th or higher numbered dimensional realities that the entities haven't filled in yet.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  9. Gear

Gear Who threw that wrench!?

10. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

He's got a wicked cool beach house. The only reason he fights is because he keeps inviting Dadversary to visit, but he never shows up. When Khonsu comes to look for him he's a little pushy, so everyone gets the wrong idea.

MadGreenSon, Pathos and TanaNari like this.
  11. Snake/Eater

the worst part is we can't go into these higher dimensions the gravity would as different as the difference between an ant and a mountain....if the Endbringers wanted to destroy our world, all they would have to do is to come in to our universe in their true-form and play catch with all of the planets in our soler system like they were tossing rotten fruit or water balloons....because they would be BIG.

12. dasstan

dasstan :)

[​IMG]

No, really. What? That's just absurd. The entities themselves aren't even that big.

TanaNari likes this.
  13. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

They're big enough to require multiple worlds to spread out on. As in, in the hundreds I believe (but don't consider this a quote or anything, I don't know for sure why I'm thinking this).

That's enough to seriously screw up our planet, if it was all in the one spot, regardless of how it happened.

I remember that the Endbringers are composed of multiple layers, pretty sure they're across extra dimensions to help them toughen themselves up so they're extra dense (there's a yo momma joke here, but lets avoid it), but I don't think we're ever actually told just how big they are. At least, not often enough for it to stick in my head.

Student of Zelretch likes this.
  14. dasstan

Entities are made of trillions of shards. Shards range in size from city block sized, to city sized. When concentrated all in one dimension, yeah, that's a lot of mass.

... But it's still not juggle all the planets in the solar system big, which is what Snake/Eater claimed about the Endbringers, let alone the Entities.

15. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

The Entities have more mass than there is in an entire single universe.

Their bodies are roughly moon-to-planet sized, and extend into all universes. There are more universes than there are atoms in a single universe. Thus, a single entity outmasses the entire universe.

16. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

I'm not sure that's accurate.

A significant chunk of Eden crashed into an alternate Earth, and didn't have enough mass to even shift the planet's orbit.

The Shards are probably quite big, but they don't occupy ~every~ Earth, or they'd be forced to occupy Earth Bet and Earth Aleph. Which they obviously don't.

I feel it's reasonable to assert that an Entity covers the surface of many Earths -- trillions of Earths, even, since the Entities are described as having trillions of shards -- but saying more than that might run into conflicts with canon.

17. Snake/Eater

The entities work on bullshit Quantum fictional-physics but in reality a true piece of a entity should have knocked earth out of it's orbit.

Divabot likes this.
  18. evildice

I guess Eden is no true Entity.

Now go fetch me my bagpipes and some Haggis.

19. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Entities go FTL by bending space and altering their own mass. Being "light" enough to not kill the world is well within possibility.

Of course, given that we're talking about magical spacewhale shardhax, everything is in the realm of possibility so this whole conversation is silly. The default answer to "Can they do it" is probably "Yes."

20. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 234.5- Lisa
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 234.5- Lisa

"Can we kill her?" Amelia asked me. She continued talking, but I focused more on my power. Finds her power repulsive, reminds her of Siberian, reminds her of when she was being hunted. Antithesis to everything she ever believed in, both as Amy trying to be a good hero, and as Amelia who spends her efforts fighting those like the Slaughterhouse Nine and Fallen. Deeper issues. Amelia is currently lacking Taylia bond. Passenger reasserting aggressive impulses. Desires conflict. Lack of sleep makes controlling impulses more difficult. Might cause scene. Might take action what would be viewed as a violation of the Endbringer truce. Unlikely. Will need resources, will return to Taylia. Might ask Victoria. Victoria wouldn't hesitate.

"More harm than good," I answered, phrasing my explanation in the most delicate way possible. "She's a celebrity in her region, viewed not unlike us. She predates on the guerillas and slavers that would harm her protected territory, and subsists upon the elderly and sickly that willingly offer themselves to her. If we take her away, then five thousand people will be murdered, or worse, in a weekend." Not, strictly, a lie. I simply left out a lot of details about what happens when Moord Nag doesn't have access to volunteers or 'acceptable targets'. If Victoria and Amelia weren't so exhausted, I might not have been able to fool them.

Amelia interrupted Moord Nag as she left, offering a grown alternative to human life. I must be tired, too, I didn't even think of that as an option. I didn't turn my power on the pod she created. I could make an educated guess, and there were so many more important events going on here. I hesitated for a single moment on the long term deal she'd made with Moord Nag. It went against what we understood of parahumans. Passenger damaged by 'Third Trigger'? No. Nothing occuring in host can harm Passenger. Connection damaged? No. Powers work as before, Passenger functioning as normal. Fears upsetting Taylor. Yes. Passenger worried about losing Taylia bond again. Oh. Oh wow. That is something.

Not a lot that could be done with it right now, but that is certainly something.

After Moord Nag's acceptance of Amelia's offer, the groups started breaking up some. The Elite approached a south american group that had also chosen to remain silent. Never intended to help, simply curious as to the dynamics. Sent thinkers. Shark, thinker specializing in finding ways to disrupt the plans an goals of others. He used that ability to economically ruin business rivals and acquire their assets on the cheap. Saw numerous weaknesses to exploit in this meeting. Opting not to use them. Knows that Cauldron and Pantheon, to say nothing of Moord Nag, would retaliate with physical force. Correction: ties with Cauldron. Aquired powers from Cauldron. Fears female bodyguard. Fears male bodyguard more.

The other was a thinker that bordered on a master known as 'Hype'. His ability? Knowing what people wanted, and knowing how to get them excited over things they didn't actually want. The former power, I was certain, they'd be putting to use at this meeting, and perhaps we'd be seeing an offer at some point in the near future. His secondary ability was more insidious. He didn't directly alter peoples' minds, he simply manipulated and tricked them. Not something that could easily be noticed by anti Master techniques.

Chevalier took the chance to talk to Cauldron. Concern over Case 53s. Hoping to gain access to Cauldron's records of creating them. Perhaps find their actual identities. Serious morale issues within Protectorate. Serious need for new members. Sees helping them as a means to recruit more of them. Hoping to encourage Cauldron to provide more artificial capes to the Protectorate cause.

Saint opted to talk to a man from the Birdcage. Emotional connection? Yes. Unusual. Familiar, not friendly. Light desperation. Need. Addicion? Similar. Subtle, power based, mind manipulation? No, not setting off Rapture's tech. Manipulation. Similar to Hype's. Saint is a tinker. Resource needed. Resource unique to the Birdcage? Useful information to have, and I was quite certain Hype knew it as well. Oh well, the Elite weren't really a concern and would regret making themselves a concern. A fact that they were no doubt very aware of.

I noted Marquis approaching. Hesitant, uncertain. No surprise. Doesn't have anything of significant value as leverage to 'earn' a conversation. No intent to disrupt or manipulate. Simply wants to talk to his daughter. Not a lot for me to use, there. Not until we started looking into opportunities to get certain people out of the Birdcage. I simply ducked off to speak with the Thanda members. Victoria would keep an eye out for Amelia.

<Greetings,> I spoke to them. <You spoke of a method to aid us in the fight?>

<Yes,> the leader agreed. <I am impressed that you know our language.>

<Tinker tech,> I admitted.

<I see,> he was a little disappointed, but hid it well enough. <Impressive technology, then. Now to speak of business. I and my followers are willing to help, as payment for slaying the Third and seeing to it that the devastation of our people was not in vain.> Doesn't blame us. Doesn't feel we were responsible for Simurgh's final farewell. Is not suspicious at all that we might be even partially responsible. Knows we're not. Knows who is. Person responsible is friend. Was friend. Died as a result of the attack. <We risk a great deal in doing so.>

I considered offering them, all of India, in fact, a place in our world. We needed the population, after all. Although, even if everyone accepted, it wouldn't even total another hundred million. Won't work. India as a culture still resents European imperialism. Will view our governing system, rightfully, as a mirror of that. Disdain for our leaders.Homosexuality still illegal. Viewed as a perversion practiced by degenerates, not unlike bestiality in the USA. While these 'dark' capes of India, whether hero or villain, were ironically enough more socially accepting than most, they certainly didn't speak for their people.

<We can minimize the risk,> I offered, instead. <Lie about your help. We prefer to be honest where possible, but we won't punish our allies for trying to help us. What can your cape do?>

<He creates bonds between things. If one is moved, the other moves as well,> the man informed me. That's an odd power to say the least. <He has no limit to weight, can take whole cities at once. It will work on the abominations. When he flees, everything connected to him will join.>

That seems almost perfect for this. Risky, but perfect. <That will do,> I agreed. <We can protect your ally, you won't need to risk your organization's safety and anonymity.>

<Except this one,> he added. <He will not like it.>

<You may use it to your advantage,> I suggested. <Implying that you have friends and allies within Pantheon may intimidate your foes.>

<No, I merely meant to correct,> he answered. <We will do it out of our obligation and to see that the abominations are destroyed. There is no need to compensate us further, our duty is enough.>

<Very well,> I agreed. <We are about to go anyway.>

Ablative layers. Forcefield reinforcement within layers. Laws of physics break down well before reaching core. Sacrificing majority of offensive abilities for defenses far greater than any prior Endbringer. Does not want to be destroyed. Creator fears destruction of the Endbringers. Creator more concerned with their ability to inspire fear than their ability to inflict harm.

The recruitment of Moord Nag was a huge boon for the battle. Her power really was on par with the Siberian in many ways, even stronger in some, and exponentially better on the offensive than our zerg. Better, even, than Alexandria in actual combat. Coupled with Thanda's strange 'attunement' cape, and from what I could decipher, that's what it was. Similar to Chevalier in its ability to interpose properties, only in this case the property was relative position in space and time.

The battle was, once we finally had a way to keep the pressure on the bastard, almost anticlimactic. Is this how future Endbringer battles are going to be? I wondered. Impossible, hopeless, conflicts until we discover the one perfect power that makes them seem nearly trivial? My power had nothing to offer me for the question. Still, it was an insight to consider for the future, a window into the minds of the Endmakers.

Alexandria landed next to us after the battle. "Do you have time for a debriefing?" she asked. Knows we don't, being polite. Establishing some level of superiority by implying she's capable of continuing if we wish.

"Sorry, we're all pretty much dead on our feet," Amelia spoke. She wasn't lying, she was a wreck and Taylor was barely functional. Fatigue, difficulty concentrating. Power strangely unaffected, zerg still function as normal despite controller's exhaustion. Power not relying on her mental condition. Taylia bond functioning normally, though both members of bond too tired to use it.

"I understand," Alexandria agreed. "I have things to deal with as well. I just want to find out if you are well enough. I heard about the barter you made to Moord Nag." Concerned about Moord Nag's opinion. Recognizes the warlord's capabilities. Has been aware for some time.

"I'll follow through before going home, don't worry," Amy answered. "Before I have time to think about exactly what I promised."

"She's one of the few that can actually make a difference in the final battle," Alexandria added. "I thank you for your efforts. On a more official note, you've been authorized to take some of the KEB tissue for your experiments. You're making better use of it than anyone else, after all." Official authorization. Not the Protectorate or PRT. Presidential approval. Cauldron has functional control over the US government. Wants us aware. Wanted to know if were were already aware. Wants to remind me of my various obligations as well.

"Which is pretty bizarre," I spoke up. "Considering our... new legal status... you might want to show us less obvious favoritism in the future. People will start to get suspicious. Oh, and no, I don't know anything more about the Endmakers that I think is useful. Maybe Dragon's tracking Khonsu's retreat will give us something useful in the long run, but that's on the Tinkers to handle. Other than that, I'm certain no one at the meeting was involved. The Elite know I was there for that purpose, by the way. If they find the source first, we're looking at a fucking nightmare. They'll try to take control of them."

"That's troubling," Alexandria replied. Suspected most of that, now knows we weren't surprised by implication that they control the President. "They're difficult enough for me to deal with as it is. I suppose it's too much to hope you have a way to prove it. Not showing at the Endbringer battles is, unfortunately, not enough to justify a full scale assault the way you've dealt with the Fallen and Teeth." Hoping for useful information, excuse to hit one of the few remaining organized villain groups with highest level of force. Some concern about loss of Pantheon's ability to police after Avalon becomes public. Hopes to remove remaining problem before that occurs.

"No, and there won't be," I admitted. "Sorry.

"I understand," Alexandria replied. Again aware. Is impressed by how I'm handling situation. Wants to discuss more. Sees me as a... friend? Well, that's a surprise and then some. Aaand now she knows what I just figured out. "The warning is appreciated, regardless. I'll make contact when you've had a chance to recover from this ordeal. Do you have any time you'd prefer?" Offering opportunity to talk about details. Including possible friendship.

"Well, it's only three days to Christmas, which is pretty much ruined for everyone on the planet," I started, mulling over responses. Wouldn't be upset if I reject. Would pretend not to notice, much as I do in similar circumstances. We really are a lot alike. Remind her that I have friends and obligations that come first, see how she handles it. "If you find a way to sneak away during the vacation time, feel free to come over. Amelia makes the best turkey."

"You cook?" Alexandria asked Amelia. "I can never find the time, myself." Took warning at face value. Willing to meet halfway. Not planning to manipulate us. Has no need to, considers Endbringers and Scion to be primary goals, knows that's our goal as well. Wants us to stop them. Correction: doesn't care who succeeds in stopping them, as long as they are stopped. Wouldn't view a friendship to be something that would further that goal any more than current alliance does. Personal reasons.

"No," she responded, struggling to stay awake. "I... uh... grow it."

"Other than the texture, you'd never be able to tell the difference," I answered. The words conveyed a lot of meanings. An approval of Amelia, a sort of territorial line. She understood immediately that I was accepting, more or less provisionally, her unspoken interest, and the underlying loneliness in it. When I was being honest, I was lonely as well. With exception to Rapture, I didn't have anyone I could relate to on a Thinker level. And in the case of Rapture, she didn't have the same concerns that I had. She didn't need to deal with the same responsibilities which Alexandria and I did.

"I might even take you up on that," she agreed. "Now, I won't keep you. Weight of the world and all that, as I'm sure you're quite familiar with." Alexandria took off. I didn't need my power to tell me she'd be there.

=================

A/N- No new events, but lots of new information.

... Some of which might be me "subtly" asking my readers how none of them thought of almost any of this stuff.

21. jcogginsa

jcogginsa Versed in the lewd.

random thought inspired by Chevalier: Did Weld survive New Delhi?

Tsage likes this.
  22. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

No they don't. That's complete fanon. At most, they extend to a couple dozen universes. They're small enough that the "main body" can rest (and be destroyed) on a single planet.

Or collide with a planet without shattering it into dust.

We don't know that they can do that. At all. Probably. But don't know.

That's just. No. If this were the case, then Eden wouldn't have collided with her earth hard enough to injure herself at all. A planet sized ball of feathers would, if it hit our earth, knock it out of orbit. And it wouldn't hurt the feathers much. At that kind of scale, weight means nothing. Speed means everything.

He's been mentioned in other chapters after New Delhi. Can't remember which ones, but Pantheon failed to recruit him and then he moved.

23. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

Well, did he die in the initial blast? If he didn't, he's fine. Dude is LUDICROUSLY hard to kill. Seriously, no biology, no need to sleep, Manton limit abuse defense, crazy durability and self-healing by metal absorption.

powerofvoid likes this.
  24. Snake/Eater

wasn't it Contessa that dealt the killing to Eden.

25. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Yes, it was. But only after Eden was dumb enough to accidentally run face first into a planet and maim herself.

Ryuketsu, pvnkice, eNBious and 13 others like this.
  26. evildice

Are you implying that nobody shipped Lisalex?

Because that would be incorrect.

Everyone ships Lisalex.

27. Finbar

Finbar I trust you know where the happy button is?

No, it was Dr Mother, who was effectively holding Contessa up, while Eden was sabotaging the PtV shard to hold Contessa back

Check the Contessa interlude for specifics

28. dasstan

No, Lisa. Do not attempt to blackmail the spacewhale chunks. That can't end well.

29. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Shaper and Admin sitting around a tree, B-U-D-D-I-N-G~

....and that's all I got. I shall now wait for someone with more talent than me become unable to stop thinking about it until they finish the jingle.

Ryuketsu, eNBious, Nytemaren and 18 others like this.
  30. dasstan

First comes
    HIVE
    Then comes ...