1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

An introduction to the Infinite Loops Project?

Discussion in 'General' started by Horvus, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Horvus

Horvus Getting sticky.

I recently came across the ILP started some years ago by Innortal, and decided to do some digging. But man! What a mess of threads on three different forums!
    I did find some compilations, but I get a feeling I'm missing some original stories that are the common basis for everything else. In short, where should I start reading?

P.S.: I should mention that I'm not actually planning to read everything. The project covers many fandoms of which I'm only going to read a select few: Naruto, HP, SW, Fate and maybe Bleach. I skipped all the Ranma and MLP stuff which is probably why I feel lost.

2. january1may

january1may Versed in the lewd.

...Yeah, that was a pretty major thing. I'd say that Innortal's original stories (yes, including Ranma) started the trend, the MLP stories continued it, and everything else is based on one or both of those aside from a few exotic stragglers. Admittedly, I've never actually read any of the SB threads (that I could recall, at least), only the FF.net compilations.

To be fair, I had a similar problem when the whole Megaman thing started being relevant in a big way. I could hardly care less about Megaman, and it just confused me and felt like an extra source of darkness for a setting that didn't have much darkness otherwise.

There's a wiki, but I'm not sure how helpful it is, and it is full of unmarked major spoilers.

Horvus likes this.
  3. Horvus

Horvus Getting sticky.

I tried to avoid the wiki because spoilers, and they don't link the fics they take their canon info from as far as I could tell.
    I did find some of Innortal's work on The Fanfiction Forum, but I find it unreadable, it's all garbled.
    I realize asking for a reading order is a little far fetched since it's so big and there's so much of it, so I'd just like to hear somebody's experience going about reading it and if they're satisfied with how it turned out.

me-meboi likes this.
  4. Kalem_Lee

Kalem_Lee Well worn.

Horvus, me-meboi and january1may like this.
  5. Firehawk242

Firehawk242 Not too sore, are you?

Oof. I used to write for the thing a number of years back. It's a tangled mess. Last I knew, Wixelt over on SB had been putting together a timeline complete with pretty graphics, so if they're still at it then they're the one to look for, though that was admittedly years ago. Beyond that, it's an interwoven mess of crossovers and interlocking stories. I don't know if anyone actually knows the full story of the loops at this point.

Still, I can provide the meta-history at least.

Innortal wrote the original seven looping universes. Innortal, being a terrible writer, never really took the concept anywhere interesting and ultimately the whole thing would have died in obscurity had Saphroneth not picked them up. Saph wrote the MLP and How to Train Your Dragon loops as a sort of continuation of Innortal's work, but with the added twist of a time gap between his work and Innortals, with a few extra universes having gotten going in between. (I do not have a full or even partial list, the only one I know for sure comes from that time period is Nanoha.) From there, it turned into a group project which rapidly expanded into dozens of threads and storylines, many of which didn't really interact with each other.

Kalem_Lee, Horvus and january1may like this.