1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

(ASOIAF) The Komneniad: A Very Byzantine ISOT

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Witteric of the West, May 2, 2020.

1. Threadmarks: Preface
    Witteric of the West

Witteric of the West ES ZEUS!!

Hello Questionable Questing! It is I, Witteric of the West, at last on these grounds. This is my first decent fic, and while you can find it complete over at AlternateHistory and SpaceBattles, I figured that it couldn't be too much trouble to bring it here as well. Expect some of my other stories to be ported here in the future.

Without further ado, enjoy!

The Komneniad: A Very Byzantine ISOT

Your Grace.

It is said among the Rhomans, that Time brings from the darkness all things to the birth, and all things born it envelops in the night[1]. Perhaps it is the reason why they are so obsessed with their writings of history. In the end it is a fortunate thing, for we would not know a great many things about their people, their customs and their manner of ruling otherwise. Thus I present to you this work. Merely this humble servant's translation of one chronicle, written but two decades ago by the Princess Eudokia Komnena, which deals on the story of their ruling house, and of their empire since the events that led to its appearance in the Narrow Sea.

This I do, in response to the requests put forward by Your Grace, that we are to investigate into the manner of ruling of the Rhomans, to see what can be learned of it and what can be copied, in light of the recent succession troubles.

I will also include the writings of Maester Alyn of Sunspear on their history and culture, for they will be useful in helping us determine what can and cannot be applied to the governance of the Seven Kingdoms and in what manner[2]. I shall also endeavour to add in the more recent happenings in their realm, for some of them may be of interest.

Your faithful servant.

Maester Lyman of Dragonstone.

Preface
    A Great many things have my ilustrious ancestors written on the history of Rome. Nikephoros Megas wrote a detailed history of Rome from the times of Konstantinos the Greater[3] down to the dark days of the Iconoclasts, my own father, Emperor Andronikos wrote a chronicle on the life and deeds of Basileios, the Slayer of Bulgars, and other descendants of Alexios I have written on various other periods. But very little has been written on the history of Rome and her people since the providence of God saw fit to transplant these lands of the Empire to the location they now occupy.

It is thus that I, Eudokia, daughter of Basileus Andronikos have undertook to this task, to see that the passage of time does not erase that which ought to be remembered about these times. Of the great deeds of Just Rulers and of the henious acts of Tyrants, for Rome has been bereft of neither.

Many, amongst our detractors will scoff and claim that in my writing I shall minimize the acts of tyranny that even the greatest of our house have commited. Some, amongst our most stalwart supporters, will say that I am not giving my own ancestors the glory they deserve for their deeds. But he who dares to write these histories must swallow his own feelings. For many a time he must praise his enemies and accuse those dear to him for their mistakes. I can only give the small comfort of stating, that I have sought out as many men who have witnessed the things I write of as the divine providence has allowed me to find.

I must now start at some point. And I will do so at the earliest time for which I could have reliable witnesses, at the final years of the reign of Alexios I.

[1] Maester Lyman is clearly versed in the Greek language and literature, this phrase is a quote from Sophocles which in real life Anna Komnene uses in the opening of the Alexiad.

[2] It is fairly clear that this is after a major succession crisis, and that the new King is seeking ways to answer to the instability by reforming the Realm along Roman/Byzantine lines...

[3] Constantine the Great, I will be using mostly transliterations from Greek for their names rather than the anglicized version.

Well, here goes nothing, I was inspired in starting this by Harlequin's Great Shall be my Reach, which is a pretty awesome work you should check out, and by starting to read the actual Alexiad. I hope you like this.

Coming next time: Where is Constantinople? What time is it?

2. Threadmarks: Chapter 1
    Witteric of the West

Book 1
    From the Great Light to the Second Tyroshi War.

Alexios I Komnenos had ruled for Four and Thirty Years when a great light engulfed the Bosphorus on the night before the great feast of Nativity of the year 6624[1] In the time before the great light, he had seen the Empire in the brink of destruction at the hands of the Turks, and had seen to its salvation. Yet, for two days, no one in the Queen of Cities thought more of the strange lights other than as a curious topic of conversation.

On the third day, two things happened to change the minds of men in the Palace of Blachernae. First, riders came from Thessalonike, telling tales of how, upon the strange lights, the lands to the west and north of the city had vanished. When riders also came from Asia, tellng how all lands east of Herakleia[2] had likewise vanished, the palace was in an uproar. Yet, the more shocking discovery came when various ships of unknown make arrived, having traversed through the Bosphorus from the north and reaching the City.

For nearly a month, merchants and court officials hurried to learn the strange new tongues they brought with them, and in doing so they learned a great many things. For these early ships came from lands known as Tyrosh, Myr, Braavos and Westeros. It was also learned in Constantinople, that ships also came from the South and ended in Thessalonike, coming from other lands, such as Lys, Volantis and the Summer Isles. Some basic information was learned, such as the fact that our lands had taken the place of a chain of isles once notorious for being a haven for pirates and outlaws, however the life of those living in the transplanted lands did not change much for six more months.

It was on the Seventh Month since the Great Light, that dark news came from Herakleia. For an unknown army had come, bearing banners of Red with Black Dragons on them, With a great many knights, warriors and elephants of war. And with them they had put the city to siege.

The Great Barbarian Warlord Maelys and his Golden Company had crossed from the Eastern Mainland, and he had himself proclaimed as Basileus of the Andals. And once he saw Herakleia and heard of the Queen of Cities, he made his purpose to conquer them, and to have himself installed as Basileus of the Romans as well.

Those were dark days, for although the greatest part of the Armies of Rome had been around the Hellespont, the Empire had still lost the greatest part of its lands. Most of Asia, Moesia, Boulgaria, Epiros, the isle of Krete. All vanished in the light. Still, Basileus Alexios was not deterred, and barely had two days passed since the first news of the Warlord's landing came, and he rode alongside his son Ioannes, to gather the armies and march in force. For they both swore oaths to see the Warlord in chains, and to show this new world the consequences of actions such as those commited by Maelys.

[1] Date given in the Byzantine (Eto Kosmou/Anno Mundi) Calendar. Equivalent to 1115 AD.
    [2] Heraclea Pontica, modern Karadeniz Ereğli

3. Threadmarks: Chapter 2
    Witteric of the West

Thus, Maelys had pitched camp outside of Herakleia, and after three weeks his men did breach the walls. Valiantly did the inhabitants resist this Barbarian as they would have the Turk and the Saracen, but the Golden Company was made of hardened warriors who with no mercy rode down the streets of the city. Even then the taking of Herakleia was bloody, with many of the barbarians also being killed in the streets. And when many of the women were known to have taken refuge in the church, they rode to it and put the priests to the sword, taking the gold and the women. And it was to this, that the Armies led by Basileus Alexios and Symbasileus[1] Ioannes arrived in sight of Herakleia.

Upon seeing the smoke and fire, it is said that Basileus Alexios broke in a fit of anger very unusual to him. But his son Ioannes and his goodson, Nikephoros Bryennios did calm him down. And they devised plans to fight. With the rising sun of the third day of the sack, the Romans took positions on the Hills to the Southeast of the city. For the three generals were eager to push the barbarian back across the straits. But they also knew that they could not afford a great bloodbath, for it might leave them vulnerable to future enemies.

Shortly after the dawn, the Romans then descended upon the camp of the warlord Maelys, and in the surprise, many warriors were slain. It is said that Basileus Alexios himself, despite his age, rode at the head of the left-wing of the kataphractoi. With Ioannes leading the center, and Bryennios leading the right. And upon hearing the hooves of the Roman horses crashing on their camp, Maelys the Monster did rally his men to make battle, but they were too disorganized. And seeing this, he took every boat in the harbor and rallied his remaining men. And so the Golden Company fled the field for the first time.

Alexios at first gave orders to follow, but there were little boats left in Herakleia. So instead his army pitched camp. And they did camp outside of the ruined city for a week when word came from the Queen of Cities. For emissaries had arrived. Lord Ormund Baratheon, Lord of the Stormlands and Domestikos[2] to the Basileus of the Andals had come to Constantinople, for he had been assigned to command an army against Maelys. However, the news of our arrival caused Basileus Jaehaerys to send him and negotiate terms to lead a joint campaign.

With such news did Basileus Alexios return to the Queen of Cities. Leaving his son and goodson, both proven commanders, to guard the area against future landings. And in Constantinople, the Basileus did meet with Lord Baratheon. And together they drew plans to cross into the mainland with a joint army. And after ten days of talks the Domestikos left the Queen of Cities to return to his King.

And in the meantime, Maelys and the Golden Company did nurse their wounds, and they began to gather the Tyroshi fleet -For Tyrosh was ruled by an ally of Maelys- and the remainders of the Stepstone Pirates in two great fleets, for they intended to attack the Romans from North and South.

[1] Co-Emperor. John II Komnenos was made co-emperor in 1092.
    [2] Roman histories refer to the Hand of the King as Domestikos or Megas Domestikos.

4. Threadmarks: Chapter 3
    Witteric of the West

For Six months the Pirates of Samarro Saan and the Old Mother did war with the Romans at sea. Thrice they approached Thessalonike, hoping to sack the city before proceeding to the Hellespont, and thrice they were bloodied and made to retreat. And in that time, Basileus Alexios prepared a second army, keeping the Varangians with him as he did so. While the force led by Symbasileus Ioannes and Nikephoros Bryennios did contest two crossings led by the Ebon Prince, the Nine Eyes and the so-called Lord of Battles. And in this last crossing did Liomond Lhasare, the so-called Lord of Battles perish by a Roman blade.

And once the Six months had passed, a great fleet came to the Bosphorus from the north, bearing the banner of Basileus Jaehaerys. A grand army disembarked, led by the Domestikos Baratheon. While A large Dornish army came to the aid of Thessalonike, and a Hundred Ironborn Longships joined the Roman fleet to smash at last the Pirate Kings off the coast of Lesbos.

And the armies gathered on the Asian side of the Bosphorus, in full sight of the Queen of Cities. Symbasileus Ioannes was recalled, and it was agreed that the Romans would be led by him. And thus they boarded ships once more and chose their landing site. For the Romans had also fought the Tyroshi in those months, and Alexios had made an oath to punish the city for its support of the Warlord Maelys.

But while this came to be, Basileus Alexios came down with an illness, and his face was disfigured and mottled grey. However the illness subsided once his face had been scarred and his skin made as if it was stone to the touch[1]. And Domestikos Baratheon offered him his Maester to treat him, and for this Alexios would honor the man greatly before the armies departed for the Mainland.

And it was thus, that with great fanfare and celebration among the people of the Queen of Cities did the Great Army depart.

[1] Clearly, it was a mild case of Greyscale. His scars are very similar to the ones Shireen Baratheon bears in canon.

And yes, Both Crossbows and Stirrups are in common use, although Heavy Plate is not. And Crossbows are still not the monsters they would have been in the mid 1300s

5. Threadmarks: Chapter 4
    Witteric of the West

Upon their landing in the Eastern Mainland, the commanders of the Great Army met to discuss the course of action. and in these discussions it was decided that the Knights of the Vale and the Spearmen of Dorne were to join the Romans, and thus Ioannes Komnenos made Lord Jon Arryn his second in command for the campaign. While the Megas Domestikos, Ormund Baratheon would lead the remainder of the Andal armies, with Jason Lannister as his second in command.

And thus the armies separated, for they intended to trick the Blackfyre into hitting one of the two forces, and then the other would come and smash the Warlord's rear. But Maelys' barbarism did not mean that he was bereft of a mind for battle, for he outmaneuvered the Megas Domestikos, and in the ensuing battle both he and Ser Jason Lannister were slain. The Riverlanders nearly routed, the Westerlanders rallied to an orderly retreat by the Red Lion of Castamere, and the Stormlanders dispersed until they joined the Roman lines. Deciding that swift action was necessary, Symbasileus Ioannes moved to meet the Warlord, setting up camp to draw him to battle.

As the sun hung high in the heavens, once more the Symbasileus met Maelys the Monster in pitched battle. And his Romans feigned a retreat to draw the Blackfyre into a killing field. The Stormlanders, believing that the Romans were fleeing began to be filled with fear, but a Knight by the name of Barristan Selmy rallied them and made them hold the line, until the Kataphractoi and the Knights of the Vale came crashing down on the men of the Golden Company and of Tyrosh. And once this happened, Ser Barristan led his own charge that clashed with Maelys' own personal guard. And as the Romans and Valemen slaughtered the footmen of Tyrosh and the Dornish held the line, Selmy's courage paid off, for his sword struck true, and Maelys the Monster was killed.

The Men of the Golden Company, seeing their leader killed, still retreated in good order, but a smaller party under Nikephoros Byrennios had been sent by the Symbasileus, to raid their camp. And they took gold and freed slaves before returning to the Roman camp. And also a comely woman of silver hair was taken to the Roman Camp. And with no Andal knowing who she was, the Symbasileus gave her his cape and put her under his protection.

With the battle won, the men who had so distinguished themselves were rewarded. For in the battle had been both, the young heir to the West -as Lord Reyne had come as well, and the Westerlanders had also brought down many a barbarian in this battle- and the young Prince of Dragonstone. And young Tywin Lannister, whose own courage was greatly proven in the battle, did knight the Prince Aerys. And thus the army set course back to the coast. For Tyrosh still needed punishment. [1]

[1] So far there have not been too many divergences, but soon enough they will come

6. Threadmarks: Chapter 5
    Witteric of the West

It took less than three days for the Army to reach the isle upon which Tyrosh sat. Here, the Ironborn were the first to strike, and they did burn the docks and most of the remains of the navy of Tyrosh. Slowly did the Great Army land, and the Andal lords had agreed to give overall command of the expedition to Symbasileus Ioannes. And he set to see that siege engines were built, and the city was properly blockaded.

But once more did vengeance elude the Symbasileus. For the grandees of the city put Alequo Adarys in chains, and gave him to the Romans. And then they sent men under a flag of truce, to discuss the terms by which Tyrosh would surrender. And since the Andals had not been heavily aggraviated by the Tyroshi, Lord Jon Arryn accepted terms for peace in the name of Basileus Jaehaerys. And then did Symbasileus Ioannes state his terms.

And after much discussion, the Tyroshi agreed to pay a tribute of Twenty Thousand Hyperpyra a year, for the next fifty years. And to allow the Romans to arbitrate her conflicts with Lys and Myr. And with their objectives fulfilled and their coffers full, the Great Army set sail back to Constantinople, where they were recieved with great celebration. Indeed, the Basileus Alexios had a Triumph celebrated, and the Lords Arryn and Reyne, the Prince of Dragonstone, the young Lord Lannister, and the Knight Ser Barristan paraded alongside Symbasileus Ioannes, and were jointly acclaimed by the people of the Queen of Cities, while Alequo Adarys was dragged behind them in chains.

And it was in Constantinople, that Basileus Jaehaerys had joined them, and when Basileus Alexios offered Ser Barristan lands and a military command for his actions, the Knight instead chose to join the personal guard of Basileus Jaeharys. While the young Lord Steffon Baratheon was gifted a well-crafted sword with a gilded and bejeweled hilt. And another such sword was gifted to Prince Aerys for his courage in battle, and a third one was given to young Tywin Lannister. And many other gifts were also bestowed to Andals and Romans alike by the Emperor.

And thus, celebrated and cheered as friends by the Romans did the Andals depart. And upon their departure, Basileus Alexios called both his son Ioannes and his goodson Nikephoros Bryennios, and told them of the plots hatched in their absence by his daughter Anna -who was Bryennios' wife- and Bryennios' mother Irene. And before the Emperor did Bryennios and Ioannes swear oaths of brotherhood and friendship -for they were good friends even before the Great Light- and then, with his face disfigured, Basileus Alexios abdicated the crown, and had his son Ioannes enthroned as sole Basileus.

And so ended the reign of Alexios I, and began the reign of Basileus Ioannes II.

7. Threadmarks: Chapter 6
    Witteric of the West

For around Twenty Years there was peace, and in that time did Basileus Ioannes make many a reform. He had elevated thus many capable men who were not of his family or their relations, and gave them positions of power in the palace and the provinces. In these years there was many a skirmish at sea with Volantis. But neither realm sought a war with the other, and so the skirmishes were settled by way of a meeting in Lys, where both Volantis and the Empire agreed to pay indemnities for the lost shipping and to the families of the slain.

And Ioannes was greatly acclaimed by the people, the soldiers and the church alike, for he was a pious and frugal man. And in this part of his reign many priests were sent, and they did spread the faith of Christ in Essos. And they came into conflict with the Red Priests and their Red Devil, but the rulers of the Free Cities agreed that it was not a good thing to attack the Christians, lest they draw the ire of Rome and their Traders ceased to make business in their cities. And also they agreed to curtail the attacks made on the Christians.

In the Second year of his reign, Ioannes did recieve one Reynard Reyne, who had not been at Castamere among his family when Tywin Lannister descended upon it and put it to siege. And thus he was recieved in the court of Basileus Ioannes, and he was baptized and gained the Basileus' trust. But he did not urge the Emperor to wage war on the Andals, for he was a cunning man and could see as well as the Basileus could, that such a war would be a great disaster.

And seeking favor with his Andal allies, Basileus Ioannes passed laws that freed many a slave, and that changed the conditions of many more. And for this the church lauded him as a defensor of the downtrodden.

But as the Empire focused on securing its position, and the nobles of Rome schemed to gain the favor of the Emperor -for the church, the army and the people loved him greatly and to dethrone him would cause great death and leave the Empire ripe for conquest- Dark clouds gathered on the lands of the Andals, for it was whispered that Aerys, Basileus of the Andals, was not well of the head.

And in such circumstances was Steffon Baratheon, son of the late Domestikos Ormund Baratheon, recieved in the Queen of Cities, having been sent on a mission by Basileus Aerys.

8. Threadmarks: Chapter 7
    Witteric of the West

Basileus Ioannes recieved Lord Baratheon with a feast, for he had come to consider his father a friend during the war, and he had always been thankful to the late Domestikos for saving his own father by lending him his maester to treat him. And in this feast he and his wife came to notice the lady Alysanne[1], who had two daughters and a son.

And it was before the feast had come to an end that Lord Baratheon spoke to Basileus Ioannes of his mission, for the Basileus of the Andals had sent his trusted friend to seek for a wife of proper Valyrian blood for the eldest of his sons, the Prince of Dragonstone. For the two younger princes[2] were still too young of age, although the Basileus of the Andals would also be agreeable to a betrothal for one or both of them.

And thus the lady Alysanne was called, and the three of her children were presented to Lord Baratheon. Who was troubled to learn that the eldest child -and actually born of the seed of Maelys- was a boy named Demetrios -for she was with child when she was found by Nikephoros Bryennios-. But after the swearing of oaths, where Basileus Ioannes swore to protect his ward, and the boy in turn swore to abandon the claims of his father, the Lord Baratheon allowed the eldest daughter to come with him.

But someone had a different plan, for the feast was disturbed when the girl -who was called Saera- began to choke on her wine[3], and while her brother rushed to her he could not save her, and as this happened, the second son of Reynard Reyne, young Robert Reyne, would also choke on his drink. And upon closer inspection it became known that there was more poison waiting for various other attendants.

Thus did Lord Baratheon leave Constantinople, vowing to return should he fail to find a wife for the Prince Rhaegar in Lys or Volantis, while the cooks and servants were interrogated. And two younger servants of Lysene birth were found to have poisoned the cups, but none of them revealed their employer.

And Lord Steffon Baratheon did find a bride in Lys, a young woman who could prove descent from Maegor Targaryen, son of Aerion Brightflame, but as their ship reached Westeros, it was battered against the coasts of the Stormlands not far from Storm's End, although the young girl would live, much to the joy of the Basileus of the Andals. The Lord Baratheon however would never be found.

But in the Empire, the Drums of war began to sound, for Tyrosh had chosen to abandon its payment of tribute.[4]

[1] The woman from earlier. She was actually the cousin-wife for Maelys
    [2] Daeron Targaryen, born in 269 A.L is alive so far
    [3] While the description is not too precise, it is believed that it was the Strangler... It is widely believed that the intended targets were Reynard Reyne and Demetrios, still, it is one of those mysteries that might not be solved.
    [4] Although Eudokia spares quite some detail for the feast, the priorities of the Romans at that point in time are quite clear.

And thus we hit the second major butterfly, expect more to come

9. Extras: Interlude: The situation in Westeros at the close of the Second Tyroshi War
    Witteric of the West

Author's Note: This might be important for later chapters... Let's say that there are more babies in this Westeros for once.

Taken from Alessander Crofter's "A History of Westeros" Published in 421 A.L by the White Harbor Publishing House

To understand the circumstances of the last years of the reign of Aerys the Mad, it becomes necessary to take a look at the status of the Great Houses and at the marriages celebrated around that period.

Thus, Houses Arryn and Tully came to ally with the betrothal of Lord Jon's eldest son Ronnel[1], and lady Catelyn Tully. House Baratheon would ally with House Stark with the betrothal of Robert Baratheon and Lyanna Stark. House Targaryen did participate this time, with the betrothal between Viserys, Prince of Duskendale[2], and the lady Ellyn Baratheon[3]. Further south, House Martell would ally itself with the second house of the Reach, as Princess Elia Martell would thus marry Baelor Hightower, while Lady Alla Tyrell [4] would be betrothed to Jaime Lannister, heir to the Westerlands. As a web of alliances was weaved, the situation would only be worsened by King Aerys' decision to once more seek a foreign bride for Daeron, Prince of Summerhall[5]. With the King increasingly paranoid about his own subjects after the attempted kidnapping and later razing of Duskendale, while the Free Cities refused to provide more brides for Westerosi after the fate of the lady Serala of Duskendale, he chose to turn to the Rhomans in this.

[1] Jon Arryn's First Wife survived, they currently have two children, Rowena (who in canon was stillborn) and Ronnel.
    [2] Duskendale, or rather its remains, were to become the seat of the Third Son of the King. most of the city was destroyed by order of the King after the failed attempt on the his life by Lord Darklyn.
    [3] Lady Cassana Baratheon (nee. Estermont) had twins for her last pregnancy, little Renly and the lady Ellyn. She and Lord Steffon Baratheon died in circumstances fairly similar to canon, however the girl they did find, survived and married Rhaegar as was planned.
    [4] a younger sister for Mace Tyrell, and one of the earliest butterflies in Westeros.
    [5] Daeron Targaryen, conceived and born one year earlier than in canon, actually survived his first year and is still alive at that point.

10. Threadmarks: Chapter 8
    Witteric of the West

When news came of the decision made by the Archon of Tyrosh, of forgoing the payment of the tribute due to the Roman Empire. Basileus Ioannes had the armies gathered and the fleet ready. He readied the Varangians -among who there were many Andals and First Men by that point- and prepared to punish Tyrosh for its insolence.

And so did the Romans depart for Tyrosh. And they caught the Tyroshi fleet by surprise off of the coast of Little Tyrosh. And in the seas, the Roman Fleet did have chance to deploy the Sea Fire[1]. For three hours the two fleets engaged, and then the Romans ceded the field before the dromons with siphons came in, and the might of the Tyroshi fleet burned at sea. Thus the Roman Fleet closed upon Tyrosh, and a great army landed by the city led by Basileus Ioannes.

And for a month did the Romans besiege Tyrosh, for the Tyroshi were unable to contract mercenaries that were willing to fight against the Romans, and after one month and three days, the Romans did breach the walls of Tyrosh, and the wrath of Rome was unleashed upon the city.

And Basileus Ioannes, being a man of mercy ordered to loot but not rape or murder the inhabitants, and for the most part his orders were followed, although the Red Priests were put to the sword, for it became known that they had incensed the people to attack Christians as was their custom in all of the Free Cities[2] save for Braavos.

So, Basileus Ioannes proclaimed Tyrosh to be annexed to the Empire, and had its Archon put in chains, and named a Governor, but otherwise allowed the governance of the city to remain intact, for the Governor was to be his ears and voice in the ruling council of the city.

And with Tyrosh conquered, and the full amount of the tribute owed to the Empire extracted, he did issue orders, that no more tribute was to be paid beyond the Imperial taxes, that all free citizens of Tyrosh were now Imperial Citizens, and that the institution of Slavery was to conform to Roman Laws. And then he did return to the Queen of Cities

[1] pŷr thalássion, one of the names used by Byzantine Literature to refer to what we know as Greek Fire
    [2] The Romans do not refer to the eastern cities of Norvos, Lorath and Qohor as Free Cities, reserving that term for the Narrow Sea Cities alongside Lys and Volantis.