1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad End Theater

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Adyen, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

I... dislike miracles.

I dislike endings where people gambled on that 1% chance and somehow make it. I dislike those heroic moments where self-sacrifice is tarnished by the person making the sacrifice lives.

On the other hand, I love happy endings! Just... not as much as I hate plot bullshit. So here's some omakes of how "if in that moment, those heroic sacrifices didn't work out for the best..."

Anyone can post here if the have similar ideas. I will start the ball rolling in a minute.

2. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

In case we need an index.

3. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

Frozen

Elsa sat in her seat, watching the sunset for another day.

As the sprinkle of snow continued to sprinkle down her window, she dispassionately watched time pass and through much practices kept herself from thinking of anything.

Olaf had visited that morning, bringing news of the world and generally just being there. People had started calling her the Queen of Ice, or the Ice Queen recently considering what happened... how long ago was it? While the skies are often clear, snow would continue to fall regardless of season, causing the entire area to develop a chilly weather.

Arendelle was not the place it used to be anymore. Gone were most people, having been forced to relocate when the unending snow never ended. There were still some that wonder the ruins, but most know to avoid the castle where Elsa and Anna resided.

Behind Elsa's seat, the frozen figure of Anna still stood. A large gap from her shoulder down to her chest missing from Han's final sword stroke, only to be stopped by the frozen heart of Elsa's sister and shattered. Elsa had painstakingly removed each part of the metal lodged in Anna and filled up the missing part with her own power, but for some reason the ice always melts and she would once again be left with the sign of her sacrifice.

Kristoff had journeyed to seek the Troll Kings help to save Anna, but they said that her act of true love had saved Elsa, and the only reason Anna was not shattered completely was because of Elsa's love for her. But they also told them, as long as Anna and Elsa are alive, one day Anna would be set free from the ice, healed and whole. Their hearts were connected, and thus the will one day meet again.

Elsa got up from her chair and walked to where Anna stood, still frozen. She leaned down slightly and kissed her sister's frozen cheeks goodnight, before heading to bed after another day.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  4. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Does it have to be Bad Ends? What about Bittersweet Ends? E.g. the heroic sacrifice works - but it's still a sacrifice, and the hero doesn't get to dodge the cost.

Snake/Eater likes this.
  5. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

Sure, go for it! :)

But I'm sure the heroes think it's a bad end if that happens anyways...

Valette-Serafina likes this.
  6. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

Stellvia of the Universe

"SHIMA!" Kouta yelled an explosions created a smokescreen that covered the Halcyon.

The communications device crackled for a moment as the smoke dissipated, allowing Kouta to see the slightly damaged Halcyon. The frame itself seemed alright, though there does seem to be a lot smoke coming from the shield emitters

"I'm... fine." Shima's voice came through the coms, though the window where he'd normally be able to see her image was black with the words "ERROR" across from it. "Halcyon is fine too, but we're both a bit shaken."

So relieved to hear that, Kouta never realized that the mental image he normally gets from talking to people never appeared to him this time.

"I'm sorry Arisa, but I don't think I should open the hatch until the Halcyon is docked." Shima said via the comms to her best friend.

Said best friend was busy replacing the arms so that the Halcyon can continue with its mission. "Don't worry about it. But we should really replace all those monitors if they could just shatter like that." She said, a bit concerned on hearing that one of the screen has caused a lot of cuts on Shima's spacesuit. She had be planning on giving her friend a bit of a break to relax, but it seems like it wasn't going to happen.

As the comms when silent, Arisa took a moment to think about their mission and how the survival of humans as a species lies in the balance. And she was one of those that were taking part in the plan to save the human race.

When thought of it that way, everything seems so... small. "Hey Shima?"

Another moment of silence followed by a short answer. "Yes?"

"Do you think Kouta can do it? I mean, I know we'll succeed in the end, but I'm just so nervous at what we're doing here..."

"He'll do it." Shima cut in firmly. "And we'll help him succeed. That's all there is."

For another moment, nothing was said between the two friends. "Thanks Shima."

"Ng." Shima made an appreciative noise and the comms were silent again.

Kouta waited within the Infinity for Shima to finish the program that would allow him to complete the mission. Everything depended on this one shot, and he cannot... will not let those who believed in him down.

"Kouta..." Shima's voice came through his comm, and for once he cursed his ability as he could see how brightly Shima shone... but that was a dimming light of a flame burning to its end. "Go. Save the world."

"SHIMAAAAAAA!!!!"

On the anniversary of the date humanity was saved, Arisa and Kouta spent a night together, getting drunk and consoling each other. They reminisced how the Halcyon had just stopped after the Infinity fired off the shot that had destroyed the Fracture, and how after they managed to open the cockpit, they had found Shima dead, a large piece of metal stuck through her sides and through the intestines. It seemed that Shima had sealed her wound with a spray that was supposed to be used in case the frame had taken damage and was leaking atmosphere.

The helmet was cracked as well, but she apparently worked through all the pain and completed what Kouta needed to save the human race. She was remembered as a hero who gave her life up to save mankind... and Arisa broke down crying on Kouta when she found that Shima's younger brother had also arrived to the new space academy, looking up to the sister that had given her life for all of mankind.

When asked how she could face him as a senior, Kouta could not give her an answer; for he himself could not find it in him to face the brother of someone who had sacrifice their life for him.

7. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

A world where the hero doesn't aspire to greatness, where the end comes in a quiet whimper that doesn't stir resentment and resistance? A place where the people endure suffering as though it's all they've ever known?

[​IMG]

Snake/Eater, Mortanius and Vanathor like this.
  8. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

Dishonored - The Brigmore Witches (Less of a BAD end... just an "Everyone is unhappy" end.)

Daud held his wrist launcher in front of him as he looked at the pathetic form of Delilah in front of him.

A quick twist of his fingers caused the dart to fly out and strike her directly. He coolly watched as the panic in Delilah's eyes fade away as the sleeping serum took effect, leaving her out cold - long enough for him to do what he planned.

It was ironic that in his entire life, this would be the first time he would be giving a life instead of taking it...

"What did you DO!?" Delilah screamed, looking at the portal opening where the picture was.

"Just what you've been hoping for." Daud said, holding on to the altar to prevent himself from being sucked in. "Tell Corvo I'll be seeing him soon."

He knocked Delilah into the portal, and watched as it closed itself. "It is done."

A punch knocked Daud senseless as he was lifted by Corvo into the air. "What. Did. You. Do?"

"When I killed your Empress and took her daughter, something broke inside me. I wondered, is my life always going to amount to nothing but taking lives?" Daud said, not even bothering to fight back. "But then, Delilah's ritual gave me a chance."

"Delilah... That's the name Emily told me..." Corvo muttered.

"Delilah was... and in a way is, a Witch." Daud said. "She was planning on possessing Emily's body and becoming Empress. But I got to her first - and I realized that this was a chance. Not a chance to make things right, but a chance to apologize and to give back something that was taken - a life."

Corvo let go of Daud's sleeves and Daud fell to the ground on his knees. "What did you do. TELL ME." The Lord Protector demanded.

"I merely... switched around the ritual." Daud said, a grin appearing on his face. "Instead of letting Delilah taking over Emily, I added everything Delilah was into Emily. It's why Delilah's coven now answer to Emily. It's why she now has the powers herself."

"She now cries herself to sleep every night." Corvo angrily yells. "She sometimes thinks that she's Delilah! She's Marked! Your 'Gift' was nothing but a poison that does nothing but cause problems!"

"You should know better that nothing is free in this world. I gave her the only gift that that I can!" Daud grunted. "I don't need your forgiveness, my life is yours. All I ask is that my gift is received as it's intended, and let me go."

Corvo glares at the man, and...

Corvos quietly closed the door behind him as he enter Emily's room.

When the Loyalists had attempted to betray Emily, Daud's 'gift' had allowed her to protect herself... but in a method that was completely natural to a witch. When Corvo had came to, Delilah's coven had arrived and were all cooing over Emily while the young girl was confused over who she was.

Over the course of the night, Emily had managed to explain some of what happened, but she clearly had her hands full trying to control the coven. Trying to convince them that she was in control and yet Corvo was to be kept in the dark.

Sitting beside Emily's bed, Corvo watched the sleeping girl dream as she giggled in her sleep, mumbling, "I'm going to be Empress..."

The Lord Protector can't help but hoped that they would be able to deal with this new problem.

9. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

Yuuku Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru

Togo Mimori stared blankly at the ceiling of her hospital room. The feeling of despair she first felt when she learned of the world's 'Truth' was nothing compared to this.

Her mind kept repeating itself over the final battle - when Yuuna once again took the field against the Vertex, and where things went horribly wrong...

"I can't accept that I'll just forget about Yuuna and everyone else!" Togo shouted in dispair. "If I'm going to lose what's most important to me..."

"You won't forget!" Yuuna yelled back, trying to get up from the blow that Togo inflicted on her.

"Why do you say so?" Togo responded, thinking back on her own memories...

"Because this is what I wish for! Because this is what I'll continue to think no matter what!"

Togo stared at Yuuna, taken back at the answer. It was so like Yuuna to say something like this, but then she remembered what happened to Sonoko and how she was bed-ridden due to her fights.

"We must have thought the same thing..." Tears started flowing out of her eyes as bitter emotions started to overflow from within her. "I can't remember anything from before except for the sadness..."

In the end, isn't that what she was fighting for? Togo could not help but yell, "I don't even know why these tears are flowing!" while lashing out in a whirl of emotions.

"I don't want this anymore! I'm scared! You'll eventually forget me too! That's why..."

"But as long as you don't forget me, we'll meet again."

Togo's eyes widened at Yuuna's declaration. "Even now, you still remember those emotions made with your friend, don't you? Then all I have to do is never let you forget about me!"

A bright flash covered Yuuna and her already Mankai-state seemed to shimmer. "HaaaaaaaAAAAAA!" She yelled, and light seemed to explode from within the girl. All around them, the Vectors that were nearby instantly dissolved as if pierced by spears of light coming from Yuuna.

"Stop..." Togo muttered, a dazzled by what Yuuna was doing. Until she realized that the light wasn't ending, nor did Yuuna plan to end it. "No. STOP. Yuuna... You can't!"

Behind Yuuna, an image of the Mankai glowed a brilliant white, completely blinding Togo and causing her to cover her face with a hand. "YUUNA!" She yelled, her other hand trying to reach out to the white figure in front of her.

And then, a flash.

"This is a punishment, my dear friend Togo." Yuuna's voice seemed to whisper in Togo's ears. "A punishment for being a bad girl..."

And the world went white.

When she woke up, Togo found herself in a hospital bed. She had immediately asked about Yuuna, but nobody would tell her anything. A few days passed, and the rest of the Heroes showed up with news that nobody seemed to remember Yuuna - thought it seemed like all the parts that were sacrificed for the Mankai were recovering.

But to Togo, none of it mattered. Yuuna wasn't here. The entire reason that Togo had fought, the one person that she was willing to destroy the world for - she wasn't here.

And she realized that this was hell - one that was created by herself, and fit for the crime that she had almost committed.

A week passed.

But to Togo, who had lost her will to live, it was merely another day that she suffered the agony of no longer being with Yuuna.

Like always, she merely stared at the ceiling trying not to think - trying not to remember and trying not to feel the hole that she had dug in her heart.

The door to her room opened. Like she had for every other time since she learned Yuuna had disappeared, she ignored it.

She could hear footsteps outside of her room, but her door was closed soon and a pair of light footsteps approached her bed.

Togo neither turned or responded when the person was near her bed. But the person leaned into Togo's vision range - she was wearing a hat that covered her hair and a veil was hanging down from it covering the entire face. But the veil was thin, and she could make out the face of a female behind it...

"This is her punishment to you." The person whispered lightly in a familiar voice. "Thus it is also MY punishment to you."

Togo froze. That voice... she turned her head slowly and looked at the person beside her. The visitor was dressed in rather traditional whites that seemed similar to the servants of the Taisha, but she had never seen patterns like that before. But more importantly, the figure would fit what she remembered..

"Yu..."

A finger was placed on Togo's lip. "She gave herself to Me, and I have received it." The figure said softly. "Remember her words. And remember that I'll be waiting for your response."

With that said, she turned around to leave, leaving Togo stunned but quickly attempting to get out of her bed. "Wait, Yuuna! Wait for me!"

She didn't even manage to make a single step before she fell to the ground. "YUUNA! COME BACK!" She yelled, her outstretched arms reaching pointlessly towards the door that the figure left through.

Outside the hospital, a limo was waiting for the white figure along with a line of attendants for the Taisha. The white figure got onto the limo where Miyoshi Karin and Inubozaki Fu awaited her, both looking rather grim.

As the vehicle started moving, it was Fu that broke the silence first. "Yuu..., no, Taisha... I"

The figure in white shook her head and said, "It's alright to call me Yuuna. She is part of us as we are part of her."

The figure lifted her veil to show the face of Yuki Yuuna, but her eyes were pure white and one could barely see any iris within it. Both girls had managed to hold in their reactions, but only because it was not the first time they've seen it.

"Then Yuuna. How did the meeting with Togo go?" Fu asked, still unable to shake off the formalities as she intellectually knew that she was speaking with the Deity that saved the world.

Yuuna turned to look at her. While the face was that of the girl fro the Hero Club, no emotions from the girl could be seen - the face might as well be a mask, and for all Fu and Karin knew, it could be. "It went... well. I remember the reason why Yuuna placed such a 'curse' on Togo Mimori. When she is ready, she will come find me and I will explain what has happened. But until then, neither of you are to tell her. Understood?"

Both Fu and Karin felt that Yuuna/Taisha was being much too cruel to the other girl, but neither was about to disobey their superior. It was, indeed, a punishment that would burn its way through Togo's soul forever...

10. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Canon Worm. :D

11. PyroTechno

PyroTechno The Procrastination Pokemon

In a slightly more realistic Potterverse...

Harry blinked as he looked around the misty expanse.

The figure behind him chuckled.

"Harry, my boy, it's been a while."

Harry swung around sharply. "Dumbledore?"

Dumbledore's smile faded. "I wish it could have been longer."

"Sir, I'm dead, aren't I?"

"Yes, Harry, I'm afraid you are. You were hit by the Killing curse. Not even your mother's love could save you twice." Dumbledore frowned. "Unfortunate. I was kind of hoping it would."

Harry frowned. "What will happen to my friends, then?"

Dumbledore shrugged. "I assume that one of them will rise to take your place. If not, well... heaven isn't so bad, is it?"

-----

Voldemort laughed openly in front the assembled crowd. The battered castle behind them was the perfect backdrop.

"Harry Potter is dead!"

Hagrid wept openly next to him, clutching the still-cooling corpse like a lifeline. His Death Eaters cheered, jeered, and cackled along with him.

Ginny's eyes widened. "No!!!" How was he supposed to save her if he was dead!?

Ron and Hermione just stared blankly, uncomprehending.

As Voldemort started his little speech about joining him, Neville's anger slowly built. Harry had given his life to save them. He was certain of this, no matter what that miserable snake bastard might say. He clutched the Sorting Hat with a white-knuckled grip, and blinked in surprise as he felt something hard inside of it.

He touched it surreptitiously. A metal object. A... sword hilt?

"I'd like to say something."

Voldemort stared at him for a second, before smiling again slowly, obviously so secure in his victory that he would even allow this.

"...I'd like to say something about Harry, but I can't actually think of anything through the blinding rage, so I'll settle for chopping your head off with this sword," Neville said as he brandished the Sword of Gryffindor.

Voldemort's smile slid off his face.

-----

The battle was long and hard. The students and staff had rallied behind Neville, who had struck at the snake and then at the man who called himself a Dark Lord.

From above, Harry and Dumbledore watched them.

Others slowly joined them.

Fred was met by George, and the other members of his family, one by one. McGonagall, Flitwick, and Sprout would all attend the Attack Snape With Vulgar Language party later. Other miscellaneous good guys of no story importance did whatever it is they did. But on the other side, the Death Eaters were trimmed down slowly and thoroughly.

In the end, Ron and Hermione distracted Voldemort while Neville snuck up behind him, sword readied.

"Avada Kedavra!"

A wordless levitation caught another green blast, and another, and another. Ron ducked his head down behind the cover of a pile of rubble as an AK streaked past. Hermione fired a Reducto back at Voldemort.

And then, without a word of warning, the backup Chosen One beheaded him.

The casualties were great, but the battle was over.

Hermione and Ron sat, staring at the ruins of Hogwarts as it finally collapsed in on itself.

"I've heard Australia is nice this time of year."

"Yeah?"

Neville limped over. "Mind if I join you? There's nothing left for us here."

Wizarding Britain would never recover. Its entire population had been gutted - everyone who was against Voldemort's ideas had either left Britain, or died at Hogwarts next to all of those that supported him.

A bad end? It could be called that. It could also be called a pyrrhic victory.

Biigoh, Snake/Eater, ragoogar and 5 others like this.
  12. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

I kinda want to see a bad ending of Official Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare