1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best defence against spyware

Discussion in 'General' started by beast_regards, May 7, 2018.

1. beast_regards

beast_regards The Ever-Ethereal Legal Loli

What is a best (free) anti-spyware program to defend your computer against spyware, keyloggers and other creepy crawlies that tend to infest your computer (especially when browsing certain web-pages)

I use ESET Internet Security ... no intention to get rid of it, brought long term license that expires 2020.

I need some program that I can use in combination with ESET.

I tried Bitdefender, but it hates ESET with passion, it seems those won't work together.

I tried Malwarebytes, full trial was nice while it lasted, but I want to buy license for another program.

Anything free for use other than Spybot?

2. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Windows defender isn't bad. Or do what tanuki does...

Back shit up and then reformat your comp every few months.

1986ctcel, beast_regards and Aeodyn like this.
  3. Aeodyn

Aeodyn Unrepentant Deviant

Generally you shouldn't really be using multiple protection systems at the same time, so buying a second full suite isn't going to do you much good.

If you're stuck with ESET, my recommendation is to use uBlock Origin (surprisingly effective, especially if you enable the "block malware sites" option), and do occasional scans with MBAM (scan-only; disable "real-time protection" or whatever), Hitman Pro (paid after a 30-day trial), and Emsisoft Emergency Kit (free).

I also recommend checking out Tron: https://reddit.com/r/TronScript/
    Probably a bit overkill to run it on a schedule, but a good idea if you start noticing any symptoms.

4. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Step one: run Linux
    Step two: laugh at all Windows malware that can't even run in your system.

However, that's rather impractical solution. In that case, Windows Defender is generally good enough. It's also non-intrusive! Unlike typical antivirus. You do need Genuine Windows 10, though, and that might be an issue to you.

The second is to practice good, clean habit. Don't put anything suspicious in your hole USB ports, use adblocker and NoScript/uMatrix, etc.

5. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

Considering that Windows 10 *is* spyware? Yeah, you got no choice but to run Linux/BSD. The other necessary parts are to use an adblocker and javascript blocker in your web browser, and don't run suspicious executable shit. But these are only the bare bones of it and even then only for desktop computers. It takes a fair bit more effort to get a relatively spyware-free setup for your phone, what with even google play store spying on you.

The concept of antivirus/antispyware/antiwhatever, as in programs that attempt to detect a known compromise after a system has already been compromised, is inherently dumb.

6. beast_regards

beast_regards The Ever-Ethereal Legal Loli

Re-installs are tedious. It's not age of Win 95 that needed re-install every other week anymore.

I got Emmissoft Emergency Kit, which also comes with paid version, trial to expire in 30 days. License is generally half of the prize you would expect from the other products, but I am not entirely sure what it does (compared to free version). Also not sure if I'll be able to revert to some free version after say trial version runs out.

Does uBlock Origin block javascripts? I never tried to block the script on pages where I want video to run (and clicking video is usually provocation that trigger the add pop up)

7. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

uBlock Origin by default only block ads, or anything that required to block ad. To block script, NoScript or uMatrix is needed. I recommend uMatrix, because I like the UI.

TIPS: For 'click and popup', one of the trick I discovered is you can right click instead and your browser will 'correctly' figuring out you don't want the popup and block it themselves. After that, you can usually click in peace.

Unless the site is a dick, anyway.

Esiw and beast_regards like this.