1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

betareading, easy way to showcase the proposed changes?

Discussion in 'General' started by preier, Jan 11, 2020.

1. preier

preier I trust you know where the happy button is?

hi.

Could anyone recommend a way to easily extract the differences when you have both the original version and the proposed amended version?

both winmerge and notepad(compare plugin) apparently show both version side by side but i'd like to extract the actual changes only.

if anyone has any tool (or method other than before/after) to suggest, thanks in advance.

2. jo demon

jo demon Undertale, Yay

Google doc's shows edits off to the side.

3. preier

Ok, that's a good suggestion for the future, thanks. Anything for the 'two files' case which i'm in?

4. jo demon

jo demon Undertale, Yay

Not off the top of my head

5. tilkau

tilkau Not too sore, are you?

.. I mean that's what 'diff' is for, it's.. basically the first reliable commandline tool for this kind of thing.
    `diff filea fileb`. Possibly with -u option which IMO produces easier to understand output.

Which I understand you probably don't have easy access to, being a Windows user and all.. but it seems pretty funny to me, because diff probably predated and inspired WinMerge.

I understand that installing Cygwin might be necessary to get diff running on a Windows system.

That said, Meld and other visual diff programs (that I know as a Linux user) have a 'format as patch' option which does what you want. Maybe WinMerge does too if you look for it under the right name?

If you manage to produce a patch, you can throw it in a syntax highlighter (eg. diffy.org ) so that it's more easy to read.

preier likes this.
  6. preier

No linux/unix at home, indeed. And working for a bank means passing files from work to home is a quick way to get hostile attention ;)

7. tilkau

tilkau Not too sore, are you?

.. why would passing files around between sites be involved (that is, any more than merely using WinMerge and somehow getting your hypothetical 'file containing only the differences' out of it would involve passing around files)?

..I guess I assumed you would email yourself the result. Which is functionally equivalent to 'transferring a file', but, you know, could be done with notepad and copy/paste, no attachments. Kind of highlights how weak that security measure seems, to me.

Anyway there do seem to be online tools like https://text-compare.com/ , if 'not passing around files' is really what you want. Found it in a quick search of 'online diff tool'.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  8. MizMahem

MizMahem Wholesomely Lewd

Google docs is 110% what you want, long term. There is no better text collaboration tool for simple stuff like this. None.