1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bold in every empty line when copying from google docs?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by TheCompiler, Oct 15, 2022.

1. TheCompiler

TheCompiler Now with added Lewd!

So I do all my writing in Google docs and copy it over, manually putting in BB codes for formatting and for the longest time there was this weird bug where the last line in the message would be bolded without my input. Weird, but not really an issue, so I thought nothing of it.

But I was editing something earlier and happened to switch into the BB Code editor mode and was surprised to find that, well, every empty line had:
    Code:
    [B] [/B]
    While I'm aware that this is hardly a site-breaking bug, I found it odd enough that I thought I should report it. I've had some issues with extra Bold happening where it shouldn't and thought that some aspect of the empty-space-deleting plug-in you guys have was messing with me, but I didn't really expect this...for some reason. It's kind of obvious in hindsight.

Anyway, I spent half an hour doing some experiments and have them in a spoiler below. Hopefully it gets fixed, but I do understand that it's not exactly a priority. Also, unrelated bug (probably), but I was unable to ever go from BB Code editor to Rich Text Editor if there were any characters in the box, even just spaces

The following is from a fresh document (again, I use Google Docs for all my writing) with no changes besides writing the test. I then pasted it into the Rich Text Editor and switched to the BB Code Editor.
    Code:
    Test Document Line 1
    Test Document Line 2
    [B] [/B]
    Test Document Line 3
    [B]
    [/B]
    Test Document Line 4
    [B]

[/B]
    Test Document Line 5
    Interestingly, instead of a tag on each line, the entirety of the empty space between paragraphs is bolded.

Next I tested what happened if you only copied half a sentence, as my initial test indicated something interesting happened. Using the same Data, I performed several tests, splitting each Test Document Line at the end of the word Document. The results are below.

Code:
    Test Document Line 1
    Test Document
    Code:
    Test Document Line 1
    Test Document Line 2
    [B] [/B]
    Test Document
    Code:
    Test Document Line 1
    Test Document Line 2
    [B] [/B]
    Test Document Line 3
    [B]
    [/B]
    Test Document
    Code:
    Test Document Line 1
    Test Document Line 2
    [B] [/B]
    Test Document Line 3
    [B]
    [/B]
    Test Document Line 4
    [B]

[/B]
    Test Document

I was unable to replicate the 'interesting' version of the bug, but it was basically that the tag ended up looking like this:

Code:
    Example Line 1
    [B]
    Example Line[/B]
    Thereby bolding the last line. I have a few anecdotal instances from rooting through my various posts, but I usually edited out the extra bold when it happened previously, so there's not much.

2. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

I suspect that's more an issue with google docs and how they format stuff, and pasting into the rich text window.

Have you tried the BBC code editor, ie pasting in there?

3. TheCompiler

Just tested it; there were no additional Bold Tags.

4. Biigoh

It'd be the interaction between the rich text editor and google docs.

I've seen it happen with word as well.

5. TheCompiler

As I said in my starting post, it's more strange than an actual issue, but do you think it'll be fixed? I understand if not, obviously, and the whole 'unable to swap from BB Code editor to Rich Text while the box is full' thing I mentioned is probably more important...even if it, also, is not exactly site-breaking.

6. Biigoh

I don't think it could be... because it's an actual issue with the rich text editor itself trying to 'read' the formating of everything.

Myself, when I have to post story posts or such? I just switch to bb code editor and start from in there.

7. TheCompiler

My main issue with that explanation is that both QQ and SB use Xenforo and it doesn't happen on SB (yes I know SB has XF2 now, but I still didn't get it before then). It might be totally true, of course, but I can't help but think that there's some difference between the sites that's doing it. I'm assuming its a plug in, because I know bugger all about the back end of the site but that's the kind of thing that'd manipulate the spacing. Maybe the extra-space-deleter? It does already mess with the contents of text directly...