1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a Multiplayer CKII Style RP system

Discussion in 'General' started by Spectral Waltz, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Spectral Waltz

Spectral Waltz Warrior of Lewd

So this is an idea that got into my head after a few snippets someone posted into Harry and the Shipgirls over on SV. The premise being a game of Crusader Kings II that had been modded to be about Abyssal Princesses conquering the ocean.

I thought it would make a really good premise for a Grand Strategy Play-By-Post game.

I somewhat underestimated how much work I would need to put in to make even a relatively rules-light setup for this thing work.

That said, I do have quite a bit done. Sections of it are rather unfinished, parts of it are probably in need of change, but well... That's why I'm here. To be honest, I could use a little help, and asking around SV and SB has netted me 'Sweet', 'Fuck', and 'All' in terms of anyone interested in doing a little bit of amateur game design. No one was even willing to give any opinions on it!

So that's why I'm here. Even if all you have to leave is a quick comment on balance or a handful of scattershot ideas for mechanics I'd love to hear them. I just want more input, because more than the possibility of finishing the project in some distant far-off future, interest and utility is what keeps me invested in this.

Hopefully someday soon I'll even get it into a state that makes it somewhat playable.

So yeah! Link to the Document is here.

Give me whatever you've got. Ideas, Critiques, Suggestions. Anything at all.

And hey, if the system looks interesting to you, feel free to take it and make your own stuff too!

*clasps hands, crosses fingers, and settles in to wait.*

2. Murderhobo of Lasombra

Murderhobo of Lasombra Or, Murderhobo of Nod

I'm still reading the proposed rules, I will make more thorough response later.

Was there supposed to be modifiers depending on what class you choose? From the looks of it, you could build destroyer of all the worlds the sub, when it should be the battleship that has that capability?

And about the installation-class, are they permanently immobile? Or could you say, deploy and redeploy, like a MCV so to speak from the CnC series?

Nihilo likes this.
  3. Spectral Waltz

Each class has a class-specific trait that only that class can take.

But if you want to make the submarine destroyer of worlds go for it? It's totally viable given Shipgirl bullshit. Spiritual weight can count for quite a bit of power.

Permanently immobile, though they get a bunch of bonuses to production and fortification to start off in exchange. Again, check the traits list, the class-specific ones are at the bottom.

4. Murderhobo of Lasombra

Murderhobo of Lasombra Or, Murderhobo of Nod

Alright, so it was pretty much build-a-bote your way? I was kinda thrown-off by the description and stat rolling.... And speaking of which, perhaps maybe 2d6 take the highest roll, considering it's the player's main leader/hero unit?

Fair enough.

. . .

No options for mine warfare yet, I take it?

Nihilo likes this.
  5. Spectral Waltz

You're already getting +6/12/16... Adding take highest on top of that seems just excessive.

Haven't come up with any, I've been trying to avoid overcomplexity in favor of making sure absolutely all of the ground level systems are in place first.

I'd probably include them as a defensive option around installations, not sure how I'd set them for blockades or general use though...

6. Soldraco

Soldraco Experienced.

Well... I was searching for something like this, I'll admit. After all... I kinda wanna do an Abyssal Installation quest. However...

...Uh, how much are the technologies to unlock, or do I need to make my own rules for that? And what precisely is the 'free construction action' worth/how does it work?

Gah, may just need to work this out on my own...

Is Fortifications a multi build option or am I just reading that into it and it works based on the tier of the installation instead?

7. Spectral Waltz

If you’d like, I’m currently running this over on Sufficient Velocity, albeit as an RP rather than a quest. A quest could actually probably simplify mechanics quite a bit without the need to worry about the presence of other players.

technology costs are currently tier-based, 150 for tier one, 300 for tier two, 500 for tier three, and 750 for tier four. The tier is literally how indented they are in the doc.

the free construction action is part of how the action economy works. Each turn takes one month, during that month, each character (named unit) gets to perform two ‘personal actions’. Installation Princess characters get a third personal action that can only be spent on constructing, be that either expanding their own facilities as an installation, or building new Abyssal ships of panes.

Fortifications is a multi-build option, it cannot be built to a tier higher than the installation’s tier, so an outpost can only have tier 1 fortifications, a harbour can have tier 1 or tier 2, so on and so forth.

Any other questions? I’m glad to see some interest in this again!

8. Soldraco

Soldraco Experienced.

Well... What CP/Surv do the individual princess classes have? Is there a power boost from promoting a unit to demon (probably, but it isn't really mentioned in the doc)?

Also, link to RP please? I am interested to see this whole thing in action.

(Also, never played CK2, so no idea how traits are aquired (other than through the Cannibal trait)

9. Spectral Waltz

Ah, sorry, should have linked it in my last post. Here's the start of the IC Thread, it had links to the OOC thread in it where you can see the rolls and such.

Individual Princesses have CP/Surv appropriate to their classes except where otherwise noted (ie: Battleship Princess)

Granted, that's something I may yet change up for the sake of balance.

As for traits, most of them are inborn, some of them are tied to event chains. I've mostly been letting the ways the narrative unfold decide when and how I add or create traits.

For the moment, the main power boost from promoting a unit to demon is that the unit becomes capable of acting independently and gains its own set of personal actions each turn. No CP/Surv change.

10. Soldraco

Soldraco Experienced.

Well, to bad I can't join that RP now. I would take the debuff of being a number of turns late to the party, too... No matter, will just piece together a Quest then.